Indian Mathematician

Robert Macy

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Who was the Indian mathematician that tried so hard to be accepted in
his lifetime? Did some famous proof? And had another proof which
cannot be found (which no one else has solved)?

- Robert -

* OLX 2.1 TD * The sum total of the world's debt is some total.

Dan Wevrick

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <96053115...@engineers.com>,

Robert Macy <rober...@engineers.com> wrote:
>Who was the Indian mathematician that tried so hard to be accepted in
>his lifetime? Did some famous proof? And had another proof which
>cannot be found (which no one else has solved)?

You are probably thinking of Srinivasam(sp?) Ramanujan.

Dan

Chris Long

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

>>Who was the Indian mathematician that tried so hard to be accepted in
>>his lifetime? Did some famous proof? And had another proof which

This makes me wonder what the shortest, least informative clues for
various bits of math trivia could be. Some examples:

1) Who was the Indian mathematician? (Ramanujan)
2) Who was the blind mathematician? (Euler)
3) Who was the guy that proved the hard theorem? (Wiles)
4) Who was the geometry guy? (Euclid)
5) Who was the rabbit guy? (Fibonacci)
6) What's that famous thing I can't do? (trisect the angle)
7) Who is the guy who wanders around? (Erdos)

Others?
--
Chris Long, Department of Statistics, Rutgers Univeristy

Score: 0, Diff: 1, clong killed by a Harvard Math Team on 1

Keith Ramsay

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

In article <4orjla$n...@cnj.digex.net>, cl...@cnj.digex.net (Chris Long) wrote:
|This makes me wonder what the shortest, least informative clues for
|various bits of math trivia could be. Some examples:
|
|1) Who was the Indian mathematician? (Ramanujan)
|2) Who was the blind mathematician? (Euler)
|3) Who was the guy that proved the hard theorem? (Wiles)

From personal experience: "Who was that Japanese guy who
tried to prove something?" Miyaoka.

|4) Who was the geometry guy? (Euclid)
|5) Who was the rabbit guy? (Fibonacci)
|6) What's that famous thing I can't do? (trisect the angle)

Square the circle, duplicate the cube.

|7) Who is the guy who wanders around? (Erdos)

...the guy who was shot? (Galois)
...the really famous woman? (Noether)
...the woman who was killed? (Hypatia)
...the computer proof? (The Four-color Theorem)
...that really long proof? (Classification of finite simple groups)
...the guy who tried to prove God exists? (logically, Goedel)
(or, algebraically, Euler, but not really,
it was a story DeMorgan made up)
...the guy who ran around naked? (Archimedes)
...the guy writing in the sand? (Archimedes)
...the guy who could move the Earth? (Archimedes)
...the lawyer (guy) without enough paper to write something? (Fermat)
...the computer test? (Turing test)
...the big number? (a googol, Skewes' number)
...the number with all the 9's? (e^(sqrt(163)pi))
...the taxi number? (1729)
...the guy with the picture you see on T-shirts and things? (Mandelbrot)
...that thing where you repeat after eight times? (Bott periodicity)
...the guy who didn't really lose his girlfriend? (Nobel)
...the pseudonym? (Bourbaki)
...the number which turned out not to be prime? (2^2^5+1)

Keith Ramsay

Michael Wodzak

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Chris Long wrote:

> This makes me wonder what the shortest, least informative clues for
> various bits of math trivia could be. Some examples:

Would it be too explosive to ask
Who was the mathematician who used snailmail??

Michal

Eric Gindrup

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Keith Ramsay wrote:

> In article <4orjla$n...@cnj.digex.net>, cl...@cnj.digex.net (Chris Long) wrote:
> |This makes me wonder what the shortest, least informative clues for
> |various bits of math trivia could be. Some examples:

[... Many uninformative clues offered ...]

> ...that thing where you repeat after eight times? (Bott periodicity)

:)

> Keith Ramsay

(based on a joke I heard recently)
... the younger of the all-time best father and son team in mathematics?
(Euler (and whoever his father was))
-- Eric Gindrup ! gin...@okway.okstate.edu

Dan Kotlow

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

cl...@cnj.digex.net (Chris Long) wrote:

> This makes me wonder what the shortest, least informative clues for
> various bits of math trivia could be. Some examples:

Who made up those problems? (Hilbert)
Who got beaned by an apple? (Newton)

Patrick C Hew

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Who wrote my maths book? (Spivak)
Who wrote maths? (Knuth, though Lamport or Spivak are also valid answers)

[Am I being to minimalist?]

Patrick

Patrick Hew
ph...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au

Tim Poston

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

Chris Long (cl...@cnj.digex.net) wrote:
: This makes me wonder what the shortest, least informative clues for
: various bits of math trivia could be. Some examples:

...the guy who went halfway first? (Zeno)
...the guy who heard the shape of a drum? (if it was a different drummer,
...the guy who made tents? (Omar Khayyam) Thoreau)
...the guy who stopped donkeys? (Euclid)
...the guy who found the seven wossnames? (Thom)
...the guy with problems? (Hilbert)
...the lady programmer? (Ada Lovelace)
...the inventor of pure mathematics? (Boole, according to Russell)
...the fox? (Gauss)
...the "grand sorcie`re"? (Grothendieck)
...the diagonal guy? (Cantor)

Who stepped on the same beach twice? (Smale)
Who couldn't cross all the bridges? (Euler)
Who had the famous sister? (Weil)
Who had to add that bit in proof? (Frege)
Who found that theorem about triangles? (Pythagoras)

Tim Poston Institute of Systems Science, National University of Singapore
A billion dollars here, a billion dollars there,
and pretty soon you're talking Orbital Yen.

Rogerio Brito

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

ph...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Patrick C Hew) wrote:
>Who wrote my maths book? (Spivak)
>Who wrote maths? (Knuth, though Lamport or Spivak are also valid answers)

... and that pradoxicall guy? (Russel)

>[Am I being to minimalist?]

And me? :)

[]z, Roger...

Rogerio Brito - Computer Science Student - University of Sao Paulo
e-mail: rbr...@ime.usp.br - home page: http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito
"Windows? Linux and X!" - Member of Linux Users Group in Brazil

Rogerio Brito

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

ribby

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

This idea can be applied to other disciplines,
such as painting:

Who was the guy with the dots?
Who was the guy with the lilies?
Who painted the lady with the funny smile?
Who painted the lady with the funny eyes?
Who was the lady with the funny eyes?
Who was the lady with the funny smile?
Who splattered?

or photography:

Who was the guy with the peppers?
Who was the guy with the whip?

--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--***ATTENTION***
Your e-mail reply to this message WILL be *automatically* ANONYMIZED.
Please, report inappropriate use to ab...@anon.penet.fi
For information (incl. non-anon reply) write to he...@anon.penet.fi
If you have any problems, address them to ad...@anon.penet.fi

Wei-Hwa Huang

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

an20...@anon.penet.fi (ribby) writes:
>This idea can be applied to other disciplines,
>such as painting:
>or photography:

And old puzzles as well:

Should you switch?
With only $29, where is the missing dollar?
Since they got $24, where is the missing dollar?
How did they divide the 17 elephants?
How did they divide the 27 elephants?
How should the man's 8 dinars be split?
What is the third word that ends in GRY?
What is the fourth word that ends in DOUS?

et cetera.

--
Wei-Hwa Huang, whu...@cco.caltech.edu, http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~whuang/
"Seed me, I say, seed me femur!!" -- Tawdry Wu from _Little Hop of Showers_

Chris Long

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article <4plfqj$r...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>,
Wei-Hwa Huang <whu...@cco.caltech.edu> wrote:

>And old puzzles as well:

>Should you switch?
>With only $29, where is the missing dollar?

Nice. Some others:

How many were going to that city?
How long was the goat's rope?
When did it start snowing?

Juan Carlos Gil Montoro

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

What's the colour of the bear ?

_
(_) _ _ _ _ ___ ___ _ _ _ __
| |( ) ( ) /'_` )/' _ `\ /'___) /'_` )( '__) \\|//
| || (_) |( (_| || ( ) | ( (___ ( (_| || | Lo bueno, si breve, /_ _\
_ | |`\___/'`\__,_)(_) (_) `\____)`\__,_)(_) dos veces bueno |O-O|
( )_| | Juan Carlos Gil Montoro ( . )
`\___/' j...@juguete.quim.ucm.es ------> .es from SPAIN, actually \ _ /
http://cacharro.quim.ucm.es/users/jc.html \_/