A new plug-in for firefox that makes *any* website display TeX formulas (including chats!)

avital

Apr 16, 2007, 11:47:30 AM4/16/07
Hello.

TeX THE WORLD is a new plug-in that automatically replaces all TeX
formulas in any webpage seen in Firefox to an image representing that
formula. All you need to do is make sure your equations are places
between [; and ;]. For example, anyone running this plug-in will see
this nicely: [;e^{\pi i} + 1 = 0;].

It works on *any* website, including webmails (tested on gmail and
hotmail), chats (tested on gmail's internal chat and phpFreeChat),
forums (like google groups [when viewing sci.math!]), and
theoretically everything!

http://thewe.net/tex

Comments are more than appreciated!

Avital.

vishvas

Apr 16, 2007, 12:11:52 PM4/16/07
Sounds interesting! Will try it sometime.

-Vishvas Vasuki

G. A. Edgar

Apr 16, 2007, 12:56:10 PM4/16/07
In article <1176738450.1...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
avital <avital...@gmail.com> wrote:

It even works with Firefox for Mac.

--
G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/

tactics

Apr 16, 2007, 8:01:49 PM4/16/07
Very cool. I just wish it had a feature to turn it on and off without
restarting firefox.

And just because I'm posting.... [;\mathbb{N} = \{0, 1, 2, 3, \dots
\};]

Jack

Apr 16, 2007, 9:05:23 PM4/16/07

Well, Avital was telling me earlier about how the latex has to be on
one line, but I'm sure he'll fix that.

tactics

Apr 16, 2007, 9:54:56 PM4/16/07

Sure enough, when I roll up my post in Google Groups, it changes, as
if by magic, to the correct latex rendition.

Also, double clicking apparently changes between latex and plaintext.
This is very impressive =-)

avital

Apr 16, 2007, 10:30:43 PM4/16/07

Thank you, I'm very glad other people can utilize this plug-in and
enjoy it other than me now! For the past two weeks as part of our beta-
testing, my friends and I would have entire LaTeX chats via gmail chat
and e-mails via gmail (when composing a mail in gmail or hotmail it
automatically switched the latex on the fly while you continue typing,
and then by double-clicking you can fix mistakes and double-click
again to re-render them)

As for the enable/disable... Maybe I should stick that in...

Thanks guys,
Avital.

avital

Apr 16, 2007, 11:16:27 PM4/16/07
I'm glad to see people enjoying this. Try composing an e-mail in gmail
or hotmail using these tags. It renders them while you continue
typing! Also HTML-based chats are great (like phpFreeChat and gmail
chat).

Just so I understand, in which situations would you want to turn it
off? I tried to make it in a way that wouldn't interfere with any
other websites (that's why I chose [ ; and ; ], for example).

Avital.

Han de Bruijn

Apr 17, 2007, 4:09:07 AM4/17/07
avital wrote:

After reading some enthousiastic remarks I had to try it myself.
And indeed, it works wonderful! Example:

<HTML><HEAD><BODY>
Here come two formulas: <P> [;\ln(x) = \int_1^x \frac{1}{t} \, dt;]
<P>[; \left[ \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\ c & d \end{array} \right] ;]
</BODY></HEAD></HTML>

Thanks, Avital! Keep up the good work!

Han de Bruijn

G. A. Edgar

Apr 17, 2007, 7:51:18 AM4/17/07
In article <1176779787.6...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
avital <avital...@gmail.com> wrote:

Of course to be REALLY useful, there would have to be similar plug-ins
for all browsers.

avital

Apr 17, 2007, 8:50:58 AM4/17/07
> Of course to be REALLY useful, there would have to be similar plug-ins
> for all browsers.

Are you offering to port this to Internet Explorer? :)
Yeah, I guess that should be done, but Firefox is so nice to develop
for, and IE is, well, ...

Avital.

G. A. Edgar

Apr 17, 2007, 9:25:45 AM4/17/07
In article <1176814258.3...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
avital <avital...@gmail.com> wrote:

Never mind IE, we want Safari

avital

Apr 17, 2007, 11:51:01 AM4/17/07
> Never mind IE, we want Safari

Ok, then I guess it *will* be you porting it! :)

Avital.

[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz

Apr 17, 2007, 12:54:35 PM4/17/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:25:45 -0400, "G. A. Edgar"
<ed...@math.ohio-state.edu.invalid> wrote:

>In article <1176814258.3...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
>avital <avital...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Of course to be REALLY useful, there would have to be similar plug-ins
>> > for all browsers.
>>
>> Are you offering to port this to Internet Explorer? :)
>> Yeah, I guess that should be done, but Firefox is so nice to develop
>> for, and IE is, well, ...
>>
>> Avital.
>>

>Never mind IE, we want Safari

Not to mention, non-browsers like Free Agent. :-(

--Lynn

Denis Feldmann

Apr 17, 2007, 1:18:54 PM4/17/07
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz a écrit :

And what about Thunderbird ?

> --Lynn

avital

Apr 17, 2007, 2:23:21 PM4/17/07
Let's continue the discussion about bugs and future developements on
http://groups.google.com/group/tex-the-world

Virgil

Apr 17, 2007, 5:59:16 PM4/17/07
In article <170420070925458797%ed...@math.ohio-state.edu.invalid>,

"G. A. Edgar" <ed...@math.ohio-state.edu.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1176814258.3...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
> avital <avital...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Of course to be REALLY useful, there would have to be similar plug-ins
> > > for all browsers.
> >
> > Are you offering to port this to Internet Explorer? :)
> > Yeah, I guess that should be done, but Firefox is so nice to develop
> > for, and IE is, well, ...
> >
> > Avital.
> >

> Never mind IE, we want Safari

Second the motion!

OwlHoot

Apr 17, 2007, 6:36:06 PM4/17/07

That's a fatal flaw when posting from Google groups, because
something (not sure what, maybe IE during the posting process)
automatically wraps lines, and as text appears in a loathsome
proportional spacing font in the input window, it's impossible to
judge how short a line must remain to avoid this.

I'm just going to try a quick experiment, if you don't mind,
because I'd like to get to the bottom of this extremely
irritating line wrapping issue:

a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a
a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a
a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a
[...]

OK that should do it.

OwlHoot

Apr 17, 2007, 6:41:06 PM4/17/07
On Apr 17, 11:36 pm, OwlHoot <ravensd...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [..]

> a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

or rather I _didn't_ write that ;-<

Something started wrapping the lines longer than 70 characters!
So the question is what, and how can it be stopped?!

Phil Carmody

Apr 17, 2007, 7:30:24 PM4/17/07

I use a proper newsreader and a proper news server. I use a proper newsreader and a proper news server.

And what about this:

Iuseapropernewsreaderandapropernewsserver.Iuseapropernewsreaderandapropernewsserver.

Remember this simple mantra - Google groups sucks.

Phil
--
"Home taping is killing big business profits. We left this side blank
so you can help." -- Dead Kennedys, written upon the B-side of tapes of

avital

Apr 17, 2007, 10:10:05 PM4/17/07

Google groups does it, and there's no need to stop it, because in many
cases it makes sense to have TeX formulas that span more than one
line. The add-on should know how to eat it.

Avital.

Faton Berisha

Apr 18, 2007, 3:09:18 AM4/18/07

Hi Avital,

I think that the plug-in should offer a way to be turned on and off.
When turned on, it should recognize formulae which are embedded
between $.$ and $$.$$ signs. This is the natural behavior in TeX.
After all, when writing in TeX, one uses \$ for dollar sign (which
should also be recognized). This way, additional [; ;] could be
omitted.

More complex issues, like \[.\], begin{displaymath}...
\end{displaymath} and similar could probably be left aside for now.
Otherwise, as others have mentioned, you might be overwhelmed by
things like packages, user defined macros and similar.

Regards,
Faton Berisha

avital

Apr 18, 2007, 7:52:06 AM4/18/07
Hi Faton,
Please read my response on http://groups.google.com/group/tex-the-world.

> Hi Avital,
>
> I think that the plug-in should offer a way to be turned on and off.
> When turned on, it should recognize formulae which are embedded
> between $.$ and $$.$$ signs. This is the natural behavior in TeX.
> After all, when writing in TeX, one uses \$ for dollar sign (which

> should also be recognized). This way, additionalcould be

Hero

Apr 18, 2007, 12:10:18 PM4/18/07
On 17 Apr., 09:09, Han de Bruijn <Han.deBru...@DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
> avital wrote:
> > Hello.
>
> > TeX THE WORLD is a new plug-in that automatically replaces all TeX
> > formulas in any webpage seen in Firefox to an image representing that
> > formula. All you need to do is make sure your equations are places
> > between [; and ;]. For example, anyone running this plug-in will see
> > this nicely: [;e^{\pi i} + 1 = 0;].
>
> > It works on *any* website, including webmails (tested on gmail and
> > hotmail), chats (tested on gmail's internal chat and phpFreeChat),
> > forums (like google groups [when viewing sci.math!]), and
> > theoretically everything!
>
> >http://thewe.net/tex
>
> > Comments are more than appreciated!
>
> > Avital.
>
> After reading some enthousiastic remarks I had to try it myself.
> And indeed, it works wonderful! Example:

> Thanks, Avital! Keep up the good work!

It sounds nice. Congratulations avital.
Now before i install and try it, some questions and remarks, if You
don't mind.

I'm just an enduser, writing to sci.math, reading it with google and
writing so now and then a text for my webpage. I only need TeX, no
LaTex.

Here is a logo for You, avital.
[;\heartsuit;]

On my website
http://1iz.de
on the page
http://insel.heim.at/mainau/331839/tex/tex.html
You can find some earlier attempts to write TeX and a dictionary of
signs ( most used and popular signs first) and their corresponding TeX-
words or syntax. Anybody can print this out.
And You are allowed to make use of it, copy it, change it to Your
needs and display it on Your website.

Can You put up on Your website an explanation, how to underly a key of
my keyboard with Your signs, including a backlash and one empty space
in it, like :
[;\ ;]
So, when i hit this key, let's say it's the § -key, the computer will
write always in place of § this:
[;\ ;].
(for windows98, XP,...)

It's mentioned, that there's a problem with text of several lines
inside Your brackets. When i write:
[;\begin{array}text\\nextline\\moretext\\nextline\\nextline\\nextline\
\nextline\\nextline\\nextline\\nextline\\nextline\\nextline\
\.line13\end{array};]will it be displayed in TeX-results or will it
stay, as it is?
This is important for displaying matrices.

Is Your tool compatibel with <pre>....text...</pre> in html?

Is Your tool compatibel with firefox, Internet explorer, Google-groups
and Open Office (german version)? When i open a webpage with
"viewsource" in firefox or the editor of Internet explorer, will the
signs of TeX be displayed or will the brackets [;\ ; ] be displayed?

What happens if use Your brackets [; ;]with an empty space in it? Will
there be displayed nothing or an empty space? And when i double-click
on it?

What happens if i use Your brackets inside Your brackets, like this
[; [; \and ;] ;]?

With friendly greetings
Hero

PS If You have a "Still-to-do"-book, please note, that some blind
people have a software, which reads to them the texts. They shouldn't
use Your tool, but You can create a similar tool for them, which will
read in coorperation with their software to them [;\ prod;] as
"product of".

Hero

Apr 18, 2007, 12:37:48 PM4/18/07
Hero wrote:

> It sounds nice. Congratulations avital.
> Now before i install and try it, some questions and remarks, if You
> don't mind.

One more:
When in place of [;\cup;] the sign, which looks like an "U", is
displayed, and i click on it right, i can copy it. Now i insert into a
text in wordpad or open office. What will be inserted, the symbol or [;
\cup;]?

With friendly greetings
Hero

avital

Apr 18, 2007, 12:49:55 PM4/18/07
Wow, lots of comments. Can you please re-post this on
http://groups.google.com/group/tex-the-world/ and we'll continue the
discussion there?

Thanks!

On Apr 18, 12:37 pm, Hero <Hero.van.Jind...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hero wrote:
>
> > It sounds nice. Congratulations avital.
> > Now before i install and try it, some questions and remarks, if You
> > don't mind.
>
> One more:

> When in place ofthe sign, which looks like an "U", is

Faton Berisha

Apr 19, 2007, 3:10:13 AM4/19/07
On Apr 18, 1:52 pm, avital <avitaloli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please read my response onhttp://groups.google.com/group/tex-the-world.

Hi Avital,

I read it. I understand that you need a special tag if the plug-in is
going to be always switched on. but I still think it would be nice to
have a (perhaps optional) choice of switching it on and off. When
enabled, the option would make it possible to read (simple enough) TeX-
ed text without any additional tags. This, in my opinion, would suit
better the purpose of having a simple browser side formulae renderer,
rather than an additional way of embedding formulae in html. (As one
of the posters already mentioned -- in another thread, I think --
there are well developed tools for the latter purpose.)

Regards,
Faton Berisha

avital

Apr 19, 2007, 6:01:34 AM4/19/07

What such well developed tools exist?

Han de Bruijn

Apr 19, 2007, 6:43:57 AM4/19/07
avital wrote:

Good question! Sure, there always "exist" well developed tools in places
where I can't find them ..

Han de Bruijn

Aatu Koskensilta

Apr 19, 2007, 6:45:20 AM4/19/07
On 2007-04-19, Han de Bruijn wrote:
> Good question! Sure, there always "exist" well developed tools in places
> where I can't find them ..

Presumably Faton Berisha had MathMl and the like in mind.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.kos...@xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"

Han de Bruijn

Apr 19, 2007, 6:51:10 AM4/19/07
Aatu Koskensilta wrote:

> On 2007-04-19, Han de Bruijn wrote:
>
>>Good question! Sure, there always "exist" well developed tools in places
>>where I can't find them ..
>
> Presumably Faton Berisha had MathMl and the like in mind.

Presumably. But I thought we were talking about "well developed" tools.
I wonder if MathMl is in that category. And how much for "the like" ?

Han de Bruijn

avital

Apr 19, 2007, 8:34:00 AM4/19/07
On Apr 19, 12:51 pm, Han de Bruijn <Han.deBru...@DTO.TUDelft.NL>
wrote:

Well, I looked a lot for such tools, and:
a) MathML is not good - (1) it needs special fonts, which makes it a
hassle to install, (2) there are (currently) no complete tools that
convert TeX to MathML
b) I was looking for something that works not only when the page
loads, but during you modify the page (initially what I was looking
for was a TeX chat)

If there is already a tool existing that enables TeX chats, I will
gladly remove my tool from existence and reference everyone to that
tool...

Avital.

Faton Berisha

Apr 20, 2007, 4:28:08 AM4/20/07
On Apr 19, 11:01 am, avital <avitaloli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 9:10 am, Faton Berisha <fberi...@uni-pr.edu> wrote:
> [snip]

> What such well developed tools exist?

It's MathML, of course. As i said, it was mentioned in another thread
by David C. Ullrich (see
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/browse_frm/thread/9cda15859269c7d3/a121400e8c1ad9ff?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#a121400e8c1ad9ff)

Faton Berisha

Faton Berisha

Apr 20, 2007, 4:36:50 AM4/20/07
On Apr 19, 1:34 pm, avital <avitaloli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 12:51 pm, Han de Bruijn <Han.deBru...@DTO.TUDelft.NL>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]

> b) I was looking for something that works not only when the page
> loads, but during you modify the page (initially what I was looking
> for was a TeX chat)
>
> If there is already a tool existing that enables TeX chats, I will
> gladly remove my tool from existence and reference everyone to that
> tool...

In my previous post I was speaking about a browser side tool that does
TeX rendering on the fly. I felt that what I proposed would suit
better the purpose; it was by no means meant as criticism.

Faton Berisha

Michael Press

Apr 20, 2007, 6:14:16 PM4/20/07
In article
<1176738450.1...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
"avital" <avital...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> TeX THE WORLD is a new plug-in that automatically replaces all TeX
> formulas in any webpage seen in Firefox to an image representing that
> formula. All you need to do is make sure your equations are places
> between [; and ;]. For example, anyone running this plug-in will see
> this nicely: [;e^{\pi i} + 1 = 0;].
>
> It works on *any* website, including webmails (tested on gmail and
> hotmail), chats (tested on gmail's internal chat and phpFreeChat),
> forums (like google groups [when viewing sci.math!]), and
> theoretically everything!
>
> http://thewe.net/tex
>
> Comments are more than appreciated!

Does this mean sci.math will become a non-text news group?
Will some of us have to read TeX source code to understand
messages? If the answer is yes, then it is contrary to
the USENET charter, or the spirit of USENET, at least. Am
I missing something? Most folks here seem to be in favor
of this change.

--
Michael Press

avital

Apr 20, 2007, 11:09:26 PM4/20/07
> Does this mean sci.math will become a non-text news group?
> Will some of us have to read TeX source code to understand
> messages? If the answer is yes, then it is contrary to
> the USENET charter, or the spirit of USENET, at least. Am
> I missing something? Most folks here seem to be in favor
> of this change

sci.math already contains TeX. The only difference is that now certain
people will be able to see this TeX as graphical formulas instead of
its textual representation.

Avital.

avital

Apr 20, 2007, 11:10:43 PM4/20/07
On Apr 20, 4:28 am, Faton Berisha <fberi...@uni-pr.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 11:01 am, avital <avitaloli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 19, 9:10 am, Faton Berisha <fberi...@uni-pr.edu> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > What such well developed tools exist?
>
> It's MathML, of course. As i said, it was mentioned in another thread
> by David C. Ullrich (seehttp://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/browse_frm/thread/9cda1585926...)
>
> Faton Berisha

MathML is not something a human can write. So, how would you use
MathML for something similar to what TeX THE WORLD does?

Michael Press

Apr 21, 2007, 4:15:44 AM4/21/07
In article
<1177124966.3...@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
avital <avital...@gmail.com> wrote:

No, it does not. Big difference between the pseudo-TeX
currently used and true TeX source code. A plethora of
backslashes for one example. Dollar signs, frac directives, ...
People have enough trouble reading their own source code.
Reading other people's source is out of the question.

--
Michael Press

Aatu Koskensilta

Apr 21, 2007, 2:47:23 PM4/21/07
On 2007-04-20, Michael Press wrote:
> Does this mean sci.math will become a non-text news group?
> Will some of us have to read TeX source code to understand
> messages? If the answer is yes, then it is contrary to
> the USENET charter, or the spirit of USENET, at least.

We already have to read peudo-TeX source on sci.math. But what "USENET
charter" are you talking about?

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Apr 25, 2007, 6:23:28 AM4/25/07
In <rubrum-2CE4CA....@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>, on
04/20/2007

at 10:14 PM, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> said:

>Does this mean sci.math will become a non-text news group?

No.

>If the answer is yes, then it is contrary to the USENET charter,

I know what the sci.math charter is, but what is "the USENET charter"?

>Am I missing something?

Yes; he's just offering a genreal tool. He's not proposing a change in
how we post.

>Most folks here seem to be in favor of this change.

What change?

reply to spam...@library.lspace.org