Diophantine Equation x^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2

M. A. Fajjal

Dec 13, 2008, 3:36:30 AM12/13/08
Diophantine Equation x^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2

Hi

I have noticed that the square of any integer can be represented as the sum of 3 squars except 2^n and 5*2^n, n=0,1,2,...

i.e for any x <> {2^n, 5*2^n} , there exist a ,b ,c such that

x^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2

Is there any proof

mma...@personal.ro

Dec 14, 2008, 6:20:31 AM12/14/08

Your conjecture fails for x = 24576.

Mate

jacob navia

Dec 14, 2008, 12:30:19 PM12/14/08

24576 = 3*(2^12) = 3*8192

Maybe we should add N*(2^n) N integer 1,2,3... to the exceptions list?

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

M. A. Fajjal

Dec 14, 2008, 11:38:35 PM12/14/08

8192^2+ 16384^2 + 16384^2 = 24576^2

jacob navia

Dec 15, 2008, 3:06:51 AM12/15/08

OK, I thought a, b, and c should be all diffferent.

M. A. Fajjal

Dec 15, 2008, 5:05:32 AM12/15/08
I have the following approach

x^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2

x = (p^2+q^2+r^2+s^2)
a = (p^2+q^2-r^2-s^2)
b = (2*p*r+2*q*s)
c = (2*p*s-2*q*r)

Where a > 0, b > 0, c > 0 or

According to Lagrange's Four-Square Theorem which was not proven by Diophantus, every positive integer can be written as the sum of at most four squares

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LagrangesFour-SquareTheorem.html

For x = {2^n, 5*2^n}

a = 0
or b = 0
or c = 0

Robert Israel

Dec 15, 2008, 7:55:19 PM12/15/08
jacob navia <ja...@nospam.org> writes:

> M. A. Fajjal wrote:

> >> be represented as the sum of 3 squars except 2^n and
> >> 5*2^n, n=0,1,2,...

Nonzero, I suppose, else you could always take a,b,c = x,0,0, or
for x = 5*2^n take a=3*2^n, b=4*2^n, c=0.

> >> such that

> >> Your conjecture fails for x = 24576.
> >>
> >> Mate
> >
> > 8192^2+ 16384^2 + 16384^2 = 24576^2
>
> OK, I thought a, b, and c should be all diffferent.

If x is even, x^2 is divisible by 4. Now if a^2 + b^2 + c^2 == 0 mod 4
a, b, c must all be even. Thus the solutions of x^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2
with x even correspond to solutions of (x/2)^2 = d^2 + e^2 + f^2
with a=2d, b=2e, f=2c. Iterating, we find that if x is divisible by
2^k, any solution must have a,b,c all divisible by 2^k. In particular,
if x = 2^k or 5*2^k, there is no solution since there are no solutions
for x=1 or x=5. For x=3*2^k, the only solutions will be
x^2 = (2^k)^2 + (2*2^k)^2 + (2*2^k)^2, since the only solution to
3^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2 is 3^2 = 1^2 + 2^2 + 2^2.
--
Robert Israel isr...@math.MyUniversitysInitials.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel

Chip Eastham

Dec 16, 2008, 7:26:03 PM12/16/08
On Dec 15, 7:55 pm, Robert Israel

Note that if x is such that x^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2
for some integers a,b,c > 0, any integer multiple
of x also has this property. A minimal counter-
example would thus have to be a prime x > 5.

--c

Dave Rusin

Dec 18, 2008, 11:05:03 AM12/18/08
In article <32916534.1229157420...@nitrogen.mathforum.org>,

M. A. Fajjal <H2...@se.com.sa> wrote:

>I have noticed that the square of any integer can be represented as the sum of 3 squars except 2^n and 5*2^n, n=0,1,2,...

Every positive integer can be expressed as a sum of three squares except
those of the form 4^n ( 8m-1 ) (which clearly cannot be so expressed,
because of a 2-adic condition).

Chip Eastham

Dec 18, 2008, 7:54:08 PM12/18/08
On Dec 18, 11:05 am, ru...@vesuvius.math.niu.edu (Dave Rusin) wrote:
> In article <32916534.1229157420511.JavaMail.jaka...@nitrogen.mathforum.org>,

Good to see you around, Dave!

Quite so, however the OP appears to impose a further
condition that the summands should be nonzero, i.e.
the sum of three squares and no less. Otherwise x^2
would evidently be a "sum of three squares".

regards, chip

Dave Rusin

Dec 23, 2008, 12:19:42 PM12/23/08
M. A. Fajjal <H2...@se.com.sa> wrote:
> I have noticed that the square of any integer can be represented as the
> sum of 3 squars except 2^n and 5*2^n, n=0,1,2,...

I wrote,

In article <3e21fd6d-2c23-4dec...@t26g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

Chip Eastham <hard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite so, however the OP appears to impose a further
> condition that the summands should be nonzero, i.e.
> the sum of three squares and no less. Otherwise x^2
> would evidently be a "sum of three squares".

Right, sorry, I wasn't paying enough attention.

The proposed result is classical. I give you a USENET copy of a Math Reviews
summary of a Monthly article reviewing a textbook reference of a classical
presentation of a clever identity found by Lebesgue:

MR0258742 (41 #3388)
Fraser, Owen; Gordon, Basil
On representing a square as the sum of three squares.
Amer. Math. Monthly 76 1969 922--923.

The authors give an elementary proof of the following theorem stated
by A. Hurwitz [Mathematische Werke. Band 2. Zalentheorie, Algebra und
Geometrie, p. 751, Birkhauser, Basel, 1933; reprinting, 1963;
MR0154778 (27 #4723b)]: The equation $n^2=x^2+y^2+z^2$ has a solution
in positive integers $x,y,z$ if and only if $n$ is not of the form
$2^k$ or $2^k . 5$.

Reviewed by T. Hayashida; Copyright 2008, American Mathematical Society

The AMM article is available through JSTOR and (probably illegally) at
http://www.dm.unito.it/~cerruti/ntlab2007/3squares-elementary.pdf

The authors give a proof of our OP's result, which was stated without proof
by Hurwitz, but I like their opening line, which quotes a book by Nagell
that shows in spirit why the result is true: simply use Lebesgue's identity

(a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2)^2 = (a^2+b^2-c^2-d^2)^2 + (2ac+2bd)^2 + (2ad-2bc)^2

together with the four-square theorem to observe that every square is a
sum of three squares! But as Chip pointed out, this doesn't completely
resolve the issue about making the three terms on the right nonzero.
Too bad, because it's an elegant proof of something or other!

I should also note that someone once asked about writing _cubes_ as sums of
three squares; there are some moderately clever arguments about that here:
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/96/3squares

There are just oodles of results concerning the representations of numbers
as sums of squares, e.g. linking the number of such representations to
theta functions and so on. It's heavy-duty stuff, but cool.

dave