Erratum for Cassels-Froehlich

Kevin Buzzard

Jan 11, 2010, 11:27:47 AM1/11/10

The London Maths Society (LMS) are thinking of (indeed, actively pursuing the idea of) reprinting "Algebraic number theory" Ed. Cassels and Froehlich. Hence the LMS had to go about contacting the authors of the original articles. When they contacted Serre he replied "sure reprint my articles, but please include the erratum that I indicated in my completed works." Sure enough, he had found a slip in one of his articles (in the statement of the "ugly lemma"---Serre went on to say that this had taught him not to abuse lemmas, as they might bite back!) and had taken the trouble to fix it when his completed works were published.

Does anyone else have any scrawled marginal notes in their copies of Cassels-Froehlich about typos or other things that the LMS can fix? They are planning on having an erratum page at the beginning of the book when they reprint it.

People might want to email me directly if they know of any other slips or
typos in the book (I am buzzard at-sign imperial.ac.uk)

Cheers,

Kevin Buzzard

Kevin Buzzard

Jan 12, 2010, 9:31:53 AM1/12/10

Kevin Buzzard <buz...@imperial.removethisbit.ac.uk> wrote:

> Does anyone else have any scrawled marginal notes in their copies
> of Cassels-Froehlich about typos or other things that the LMS can fix?

I have now had several email responeses, all of which I am very grateful for.

I am now becoming concerned that people will take the trouble to
email me telling me of typos they know, but that I will have them
already. To save their time I should point people to the ongoing
list at

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/11437/erratum-for-cassels-froehlich

Kevin Buzzard