First time to write a paper, any tips?

1 view

Jose Capco

Jul 12, 2007, 4:59:33 PM7/12/07
Dear NG,

This is the first time that I am trying to submit a paper to a
journal. So I hope some of you with experience could advise me. I
really really wanted to choose to submit a paper to an open-access
journal. So I tried the Nagoya Journal of Mathematics, according to
the editors my paper is too sophisticated and has to be submitted to
some algebra journal (unfortunately there is algebra journal that is
open-access, so I guess I have to choose a pay-journal). So I would
like to have some tips as to where else I could submit this paper I
wrote. I could of course also ask my supervisor, but I'd like to also
have a third-party advise. Also, I'd like the paper to appear
somewhere as a preprint so people could read about it even before it
is published (which would take some time anyway). Could anyone advise
me on how I could publicize preprints? I could of course, post it in
my website but I do not know if that would attract interested readers
- my website is hardly visited.

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

k...@alldial.net

Jul 12, 2007, 7:20:54 PM7/12/07
On Jul 12, 4:59 pm, Jose Capco <cliomse...@kriocoucke.mailexpire.com>
wrote:

Post your preprint on the arXive (http://xxx.lanl.gov/).
You should try to choose the Journal to match your paper, but one you
could consider is the International Electronic Journal of Algebra
(ieja.net).

Daniel J. Greenhoe

Jul 12, 2007, 9:12:29 PM7/12/07
[On Jul 13, 4:59 am, Jose Capco wrote:]
> ... So I would like to have some tips as to where else I

> could submit this paper I wrote.

There is a list of open access journals maintained at the "Directory
of Open Access Journals" hosted at
http://www.doaj.org/

There are currently 2751 journals represented there --- all free and
"full text". Of these, there are 104 mathematics journals:
http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=subject&cpid=57

For a journal to be included in this list, that journal must have some
form of "quality control" involving peer review and/or an editor and/
or an editorial board.
http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=loadTempl&templ=about#criteria

Also, there is Cornell's "arXiv" server providing "Open access to
427,314 e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science and
Quantitative Biology" at
http://www.arxiv.org/
ArXiv is the archive where Grigori Perelman posted his now famous
solution to the 100 year old Poincare Conjecture.

[Jose Capco]
> ...so I guess I have to choose a pay-journal ...
> Also, I'd like the paper to appear somewhere as a preprint ...

If you do find it necessary to publish in a journal where you must
forfeit your rights over your own work to a publisher, you may still
be able to legally post post-prints and/or preprints. To find out
which journals allow or don't allow such actions, you can consult
"Journal Policies - Self-Archiving Policy By Journal" at
http://romeo.eprints.org/
or "Sherpa" at
http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/

For example, here is the post-print/pre-print policies of a number of
journals dealing with algebra:
http://romeo.eprints.org/search.php?t=algebra

And as far as where you can post pre-prints/post-prints, again "arXiv"
would seem a good choice.
http://www.arxiv.org/
They maintain several categories which may be of interest to you:
Algebraic Geometry
Algebraic Topology
Commutative Algebra
Operator Algebras
Quantum Algebra
Rings and Algebras

I wish you all the best with finding a good way to share your results
^__^
Dan Greenhoe

On Jul 13, 4:59 am, Jose Capco <cliomse...@kriocoucke.mailexpire.com>

Pouya D. Tafti

Jul 13, 2007, 3:10:51 AM7/13/07
[Jose Capco <cliom...@kriocoucke.mailexpire.com>]
[...]

> have a third-party advise. Also, I'd like the paper to appear
> somewhere as a preprint so people could read about it even before it
> is published (which would take some time anyway). Could anyone advise
> me on how I could publicize preprints? I could of course, post it in
> my website but I do not know if that would attract interested readers
> - my website is hardly visited.

You could post preprints on arXiv (at <http://arXiv.org>).
However, since many journals (at least in my area) require
that the copyright of the paper be transferred to them, you
would need to make sure that they would allow this usage.

Good luck with your paper,

--
Pouya D. Tafti

k...@alldial.net

Jul 14, 2007, 7:02:23 PM7/14/07

On Jul 13, 3:10 am, p.d.ta...@ieee.org (Pouya D. Tafti) wrote:
> [Jose Capco <cliomse...@kriocoucke.mailexpire.com>]

Do you know of any mathematics journal that refuses to consider a
paper that has been placed on the ArXive? I don't, and I expect that
any that tried would not survive long.

tc...@lsa.umich.edu

Jul 14, 2007, 9:45:01 PM7/14/07

In article <f7bklv$4bv$1...@dizzy.math.ohio-state.edu>, <k...@alldial.net> wrote:
>On Jul 13, 3:10 am, p.d.ta...@ieee.org (Pouya D. Tafti) wrote:
>> However, since many journals (at least in my area) require
>> that the copyright of the paper be transferred to them, you
>> would need to make sure that they would allow this usage.
>
>Do you know of any mathematics journal that refuses to consider a
>paper that has been placed on the ArXive? I don't, and I expect that
>any that tried would not survive long.

I do not either; however, perhaps the real question is whether you can
update the ArXiv with a "final journal version" *after* publication,
as opposed to during the preprint stage. Some journals explicitly allow
official journal versions to be posted to the ArXiv, while others don't.
I believe the ArXiv itself has some built-in software to reject certain
official journal files that are known to come from publishers that have
restrictive policies.

In practice, it will be extremely unlikely that anyone will chase you
down if, without asking the publisher, you update your ArXiv submission
to be verbally identical (or even superior), if not identically formatted,
to the journal version. The official policy of the publisher, though,
is another matter.

For additional informal information, see

http://modular.math.washington.edu/copyright/gossip.html
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will