Goedel's theorem

joeh

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
I am a failure at mathematics so please bear this in mind;

What is the key to Geodel's theorem? i.e., is his theorem
presumptive of anything? What is his major dependency?

--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

Peter Percival

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
Which of Go:del's theorems?

H. Enderton

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
In article <380B53FE...@adm.com>, joeh <jo...@adm.com> wrote:
>What is the key to Geodel's theorem? i.e., is his theorem
>presumptive of anything? What is his major dependency?

That what is *provable* (in a formal system) is recursively
enumerable, but what is *true* (say in arithmetic) is not.

--Herb Enderton