A complex dietary supplement augments spatial learning, brain mass, and mitochondrial electron transport chain activity in aging mice.

rs1...@yahoo.com

Dec 1, 2011, 11:45:28 PM12/1/11
Age (Dordr). 2011 Nov 27. [Epub ahead of print]

A complex dietary supplement augments spatial learning, brain mass,
and mitochondrial electron transport chain activity in aging mice.

Aksenov V, Long J, Liu J, Szechtman H, Khanna P, Matravadia S, Rollo
CD.

Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main St W., Hamilton,
ON, Canada, L8S 4K1.

We developed a complex dietary supplement designed to offset five key
mechanisms of aging and tested its effectiveness in ameliorating age-
related cognitive decline using a visually cued Morris water maze
test. All younger mice (<1 year old) learned the task well. However,
older untreated mice (>1 year) were unable to learn the maze even
after 5 days, indicative of strong cognitive decline at older ages. In
contrast, no cognitive decline was evident in older supplemented mice,
even when ∼2 years old. Supplemented older mice were nearly 50% better
at locating the platform than age-matched controls. Brain weights of
supplemented mice were significantly greater than controls, even at
younger ages. Reversal of cognitive decline in activity of complexes
III and IV by supplementation was significantly associated with
cognitive improvement, implicating energy supply as one possible
mechanism. These results represent proof of principle that complex
dietary supplements can provide powerful benefits for cognitive
function and brain aging.

PMID: 22120182 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Dec 2, 2011, 1:33:32 PM12/2/11
Here is the supplement composition (excuse formatting - the original was in a table):

Ingredients included in the complex dietary supplement

Ingredient

Mouse dose (mg/day/100 mice)

Vitamin B1

30.5

Vitamin B3 (niacin)

30.5

Vitamin B6

60.0

Vitamin B12

0.18

Vitamin C

350.6

Vitamin D

0.02

Acetyl-l-carnitine

146.5

Alpha-lipoic acid

182.9

Acetylsalicylic acid

132.1

Beta-carotene

21.9

Bioflavonoids

792.7

Chromium picolinate

0.30

Folic acid

0.61

Garlic

3.81

Ginger root extract

600.4

Gingko biloba

18.3

Ginseng

631.1

Green tea extract

487.8

l-Glutathione

30.5

Magnesium

45.7

Manganese

19.1

Melatonin

0.73

N-Acetyl cysteine

304.9

Potassium

18.1

Rutin

304.9

Selenium

0.05

Vitamin E

326.8

Cod liver oil (omega 3)

1,219.5

Coenzyme Q10

60.0

Flax seed oil

1,219.5

--Paul Wakfer

MoreLife for the rational - http://morelife.org
Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality
The Self-Sovereign Individual Project - http://selfsip.org
Self-sovereignty, rational pursuit of optimal lifetime happiness,
individual responsibility, social preferencing & social contracting

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Dec 2, 2011, 2:02:39 PM12/2/11
On Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:45:28 PM UTC-7, rs1...@yahoo.com wrote:
Here is the complex dietary supplement (excuse formatting):

Kofi

Dec 3, 2011, 8:42:19 PM12/3/11
In order to mitigate the cancer risk from B1, carnitine, folate,
selenium and magnesium they might want to add inulin/butyrate and
low-dose naltrexone (for the opioid growth factor receptor) to regulate
the cell cycle.

lon

Dec 4, 2011, 1:05:50 AM12/4/11
Hi Kofi
If possible could you please share your current food/supplement/script
regimen...for example do you take LDN 4.5mg per day/night ? not wanting
to hijack this thread..perhaps it would be ok to start a new one in
response. TIA.

Kofi

Dec 6, 2011, 12:49:15 AM12/6/11
In article <Q4WdndZbZN9pkEbT...@westnet.com.au>, lon
<k...@noyu.com> wrote:

> If possible could you please share your current food/supplement/script
> regimen...

No. Not really.

I don't want to appear to be endorsing anything particular.

>for example do you take LDN 4.5mg per day/night ?

That's in the effective dose ranges for autoimmunity, chemotherapy and
neuropathy.