ELF magnetic fields, breast cancer, and melatonin: 60 Hz fields block melatonin's oncostatic action on ER+ breast cancer cell proliferation

1 view

HaltingState

Nov 25, 2008, 3:45:34 AM11/25/08
This study is absolutely absurd; melatonin, cancer and magnetic fields!

Very interesting however.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119305828/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

ABSTRACT

Abstract: In this study we investigated whether a 60 Hz magnetic field
can act at the cellular level to influence the growth of human
estrogen-dependent breast cancer cells. Our experimental design assessed
cell proliferation of a human breast cancer cell line, MCF-7, in the
absence or the presence of melatonin which inhibits growth at a
physiological concentration of 10-9 M. In three experiments, continuous
exposure to average sinusoidal 60 Hz magnetic fields of 1.90 ± 0.01,
2.40 ± 0.70, and 2.53 ± 0.50 mG, or simultaneous exposure in matched
incubators to average 60 Hz magnetic fields of 10.4 ± 2.12, 11.95 ±
2.73, and 11.95 ± 3.28 mG, respectively, had no effect on cell
proliferation in the absence of melatonin. When MCF-7 cells were
cultured in the presence of 10-9 M melatonin, an 18% inhibition of
growth was observed for cells in a 2.40 ± 0.70 mG field. This effect was
blocked by a 60 Hz magnetic field of 11.95 ± 2.75 mG. In a second
experiment, a 27% inhibition of MCF-7 cell growth was observed for cells
in a 2.53 ± 0.50 mG magnetic field, and this was blocked by a 60 Hz
magnetic field of 11.95 ± 3.28 mG. These results provide the first
evidence that ELF frequency magnetic fields can act at the cellular
level to enhance breast cancer cell proliferation by blocking
melatonin's natural oncostatic action. In addition, there appears to be
a dose threshold between 2 and 12 mG. The mechanism(s) of action is
unknown and may involve modulation of signal transduction events
associated with melatonin's regulation of cell growth.

Juhana Harju

Nov 25, 2008, 10:58:50 AM11/25/08
HaltingState wrote:
> This study is absolutely absurd; melatonin, cancer and magnetic
> fields!
> Very interesting however.
>
> http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119305828/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
>
> ABSTRACT
>
> Abstract: In this study we investigated whether a 60 Hz magnetic field
> can act at the cellular level to influence the growth of human
> estrogen-dependent breast cancer cells. Our experimental design
> assessed cell proliferation of a human breast cancer cell line,
> MCF-7, in the absence or the presence of melatonin which inhibits
> growth at a physiological concentration of 10-9 M. In three
> experiments, continuous exposure to average sinusoidal 60 Hz magnetic
> fields of 1.90 ą 0.01, 2.40 ą 0.70, and 2.53 ą 0.50 mG, or simultaneous
> exposure in matched
> incubators to average 60 Hz magnetic fields of 10.4 ą 2.12, 11.95 ą
> 2.73, and 11.95 ą 3.28 mG, respectively, had no effect on cell

> proliferation in the absence of melatonin. When MCF-7 cells were
> cultured in the presence of 10-9 M melatonin, an 18% inhibition of
> growth was observed for cells in a 2.40 ą 0.70 mG field. This effect
> was blocked by a 60 Hz magnetic field of 11.95 ą 2.75 mG. In a second

> experiment, a 27% inhibition of MCF-7 cell growth was observed for
> cells in a 2.53 ą 0.50 mG magnetic field, and this was blocked by a
> 60 Hz magnetic field of 11.95 ą 3.28 mG. These results provide the

> first evidence that ELF frequency magnetic fields can act at the
> cellular level to enhance breast cancer cell proliferation by blocking
> melatonin's natural oncostatic action. In addition, there appears to
> be a dose threshold between 2 and 12 mG. The mechanism(s) of action is
> unknown and may involve modulation of signal transduction events
> associated with melatonin's regulation of cell growth.

This link should work:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119305828/abstract

--
Juhana