Re: Muscle Twitches = magnesium deficiency

Kofi

Aug 6, 2009, 1:06:45 PM8/6/09
> I am just wondering if anyone has experienced muscle twitching when your
> Crohns is flaring?

I'll skip the footnotes.

Magnesium deficiency should be at the top of your suspect list. I had
severe muscle twitching until I started taking magnesium. If this is
the cause of your problem, it's probably a disturbance in your TRPM
transporters either in the gut or kidneys. It's vital you take
magnesium with calcium and phosphorus for good absorption - but this
won't necessarily help you retain it if the transporters in your kidney
are boxed.

As far as the transporters go, you need adequate intakes or levels of
vitamin D3, omega 3 fish oils and inulin (which may ultimately indicate
butyrate) to make them work properly.

Cyclosporine A and other drugs that knock down c-Fos or EGF expression
in the gut (green tea and curcumin fall into this camp) tend to inhibit
magnesium absorption. Interfering with aldosterone, ACE or angiotensin
II might also do that.

Estrogen deficiency can cause magnesium deficiency. There's good
evidence DHEA deficiency might cause it too - pointing to a general need
for proper sympathoadrenal tone (i.e., good function in your adrenal
glands). I'm working on a paper now about that.

Oddly, some food dyes can interfere with vitamin D3 in the gut.
Brilliant Blue G blocks the cathlicidin receptor P2X7 and that then
would block EGF which you need for magnesium absorption and gut barrier
function.

I think acetyl-l-carnitine is an excellent suggestion. It can, however,
directly stoke your neurotrophins which then affects cancer risk
(raising it for some, lowering it for others) and, of course, it sends
hair follicles into premature catagen. So high doses of ALCAR (~
3g/daily) might cause hair loss and/or brain tumors. Then again,
magnesium deficiency is no picnic either. It raises substance P levels
which then exacerbates neuropathy and allergic inflammation (which
should also cause hair loss through excessive mast cell degranulation).
Other carnitines might accomplish the same goal without the same side
effects.

FYI, magnesium deficiency is a contributor to obesity, hypertension and
other metabolic diseases.

Beez

Aug 6, 2009, 4:27:20 PM8/6/09
On Aug 6, 12:06 pm, Kofi <k...@anon.un> wrote:
> FYI, magnesium deficiency is a contributor to obesity, hypertension and
> other metabolic diseases.

Kofi,

What is the best form of magnesium to supplement with?

Ever heard of Natural Calm? Do you think it is worth the extra $$$, or
are their claims just marketing hype?

TIA,
Dave

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

Aug 6, 2009, 8:22:43 PM8/6/09

I am not Kofi but I'll offer a comment or two. I'd avoid magnesium
oxide as it rather low availability. Magnesium carbonate as I recall
is pretty soluble so it should be good. A really low cost source is
epsoms salts which is magnesium sulfate plus the waters of
hydration. It is highly soluble though you'll need to keep the
magnesium doses down around a couple hundred milligrams.
An 1/8 of teaspoonful should be OK as I dimly recall.
More will loosen the stool.
It has been a long time since I've use the latter. Plus if you
take other powders that can loosen the stool this can be an issue
again by way of an additive effect.

I also have a rather inferior product on my counter that was
supposedly magnesium ascorbate but is really vitamin C crystals
with magnesium oxide. I can let this stand after I dissolve it in
water and the oxide never full dissolves to neutralize the
acidity.

Trig

Kofi

Aug 6, 2009, 10:01:56 PM8/6/09
In article
<41c8c01d-a987-4353...@l31g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,
Beez <bea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 12:06�pm, Kofi <k...@anon.un> wrote:
> > FYI, magnesium deficiency is a contributor to obesity, hypertension and
> > other metabolic diseases.
>
> Kofi,
>
> What is the best form of magnesium to supplement with?

I don't know. If nothing else works, you can try I.M. shots.

> Ever heard of Natural Calm?

Nope.

Pramesh Rutaji

Aug 7, 2009, 2:56:27 PM8/7/09

Magnesium Citrate is very well absorbed. Try a website like:

http://purebulk.com/magnesium-citrate-c-60.html

which I found by googling "bulk magnesium citrate".

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=bulk+magnesium+citrate

--

Pramesh Rutaji

p297ton...@newsguy.com - remove tongue to reply

Jack Campin - bogus address

Aug 7, 2009, 3:43:00 PM8/7/09
>> What is the best form of magnesium to supplement with?
> I don't know. If nothing else works, you can try I.M. shots.

Cheapest is Epsom salt. If taking it orally doesn't work, bath
in it. Epsom salt baths are often used for treating autism.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

Are you kidding

Aug 7, 2009, 7:57:03 PM8/7/09
Thank you for the information. Is a magnesium deficiency something they can
test for?

Thanks again

"Kofi" <ko...@anon.un> wrote in message

Kofi

Aug 8, 2009, 1:25:21 PM8/8/09
In article <jb3fm.38117$Db2.20735@edtnps83>, "Are you kidding"
<no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the information. Is a magnesium deficiency something they
> can
> test for?

Yes. However, most doctors I've met have been too absentminded to test
for it much less treat it.

flamesrock

Aug 8, 2009, 3:00:16 PM8/8/09
Kofi, I thought ALCAR was supposed to improve hair growth. Could you
clarify?

-thanks in advance

Kofi

Aug 9, 2009, 10:14:28 PM8/9/09
In article
<9e21ff35-6208-450e...@k13g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
flamesrock <flame...@gmail.com> wrote:

As I've pointed out in old articles, long-term use of acetyl-l-carnitine
regenerates peripheral nerves by upregulating the p75 low-affinity nerve
growth factor receptor. p75 is involved in cross-talk between hair
follicles and mast cells during the process of catagen.

harpersnotes

Aug 10, 2009, 2:19:18 PM8/10/09

Magnesium blood tests are fairly unreliable since levels fluctuate a
lot.
(As I dimly recall from various readings. I may be mistaken on this
particular point.)

Magnesium is recycled by the kidneys.
Many common diuretics can result in magnesium deficiency. (e.g. HCT.)

Magnesium is important for the chlorophyll process.
Rich nutrient sources include green leafy vegetables, seeds, and
nuts.

Magnesium, it used to be written, should be around half as much in the
diet
as calcium. (So for example if you are getting 1000 milligrams daily
of calcium, by that
general rule you should be getting 500 milligrams of magnesium.) The
suggested ratio
varies from author to author and frankly I haven't seen anything
specific in the research
literature, though I haven't gone looking for it either. My suspicion
has been for a couple
of decades that taking large amounts of calcium supplements can
artificially induce a
magnesium deficiency. Does anyone know more on this? Preferably with
sources that
are peer-reviewed and can be cited?

FWIW, (pasted from a very quick google search)...
Mineral Ratios for Calcium, Magnesium & other ElementsMost standard
Calcium / Magnesium formulations are sold in a ratio of 2:1, .... a
patient's calcium / magnesium ratio. Other types of anxiety,
fatigue, ...
www.acu-cell.com/mr.html - Cached - Similar

Richard H.

On Aug 7, 4:57 pm, "Are you kidding" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the information. Is a magnesium deficiency something they can
> test for?
>
> Thanks again
>

> "Kofi" <k...@anon.un> wrote in message

> > other metabolic diseases.- Hide quoted text -

flamesrock

Aug 14, 2009, 11:26:37 PM8/14/09
On Aug 9, 8:14 pm, Kofi <k...@anon.un> wrote:
> In article
> <9e21ff35-6208-450e-a7f9-e1bf33eda...@k13g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

> flamesrock<flamesr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Kofi, I thought ALCAR was supposed to improve hair growth. Could you
> > clarify?
>
> > -thanks in advance
>
> As I've pointed out in old articles, long-term use of acetyl-l-carnitine
> regenerates peripheral nerves by upregulating the p75 low-affinity nerve
> growth factor receptor.  p75 is involved in cross-talk between hair
> follicles and mast cells during the process of catagen.

Ah thankyou