Regular consumption of cocoa powder with milk increases HDL cholesterol and reduces oxidized LDL levels in subjects at high-risk of cardiovascular disease.

rs1...@yahoo.com

May 14, 2011, 11:14:58 PM5/14/11
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011 May 5. [Epub ahead of print]

Regular consumption of cocoa powder with milk increases HDL
cholesterol and reduces oxidized LDL levels in subjects at high-risk
of cardiovascular disease.

Khan N, Monagas M, Andres-Lacueva C, Casas R, Urpí-Sardà M, Lamuela-
Raventós RM, Estruch R.

Nutrition and Food Science Department, XaRTA. INSA. Pharmacy Faculty,
University of Barcelona, 08028 Barcelona, Spain; INGENIO-CONSOLIDER
program, Fun-c-food CSD2007-063, Spain.

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND AIMS:

Epidemiological studies suggest that regular consumption of cocoa-
containing products may confer cardiovascular protection, reducing the
risk of coronary heart disease (CHD). However, studies on the effects
of cocoa on different cardiovascular risk factors are still scarce.
The aim of this study was too evaluate the effects of chronic cocoa
consumption on lipid profile, oxidized low-density lipoprotein (oxLDL)
particles and plasma antioxidant vitamin concentrations in high-risk
patients.

METHODS AND RESULTS:

Forty-two high-risk volunteers (19 men and 23 women, mean age 69.7 ±
11.5 years) were included in a randomized, crossover feeding trial.
All received 40g of cocoa powder with 500 mL of skimmed milk/day(C +
M) or only 500 mL/day of skimmed milk (M) for 4 weeks in a random
order. Before and after each intervention period, plasma lipids, oxLDL
and antioxidant vitamin concentrations were measured, as well as
urinary cocoa polyphenols metabolites derived from phase II and
microbial metabolisms. Compared to M, C + M intervention increases
HDLc [2.67 mg/dL (95% confidence intervals, CI, 0.58-4.73; P = 0.008)]
and decreases oxLDL levels [-12.3 U/L (CI,-19.3 to -5.2;P = 0.001)].
No changes between intervention groups were observed in vitamins B1,
B6, B12, C and E, or folic acid concentrations. In addition, subjects
who showed higher increments in urinary cocoa polyphenol metabolites
exhibited significant increases in HDLc and significant decreases in
oxLDL levels (P < 0.05; all).

CONCLUSIONS:

Consumption of cocoa power with milk modulates the lipid profile in
high-risk subjects for CHD. In addition, the relationship observed
between the urinary excretion of cocoa polyphenol metabolites and
plasma HDLc and oxLDL levels suggests a beneficial role for cocoa
polyphenols in lipid metabolism.

Copyright © 2011 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

PMID: 21550218 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Alonzo

May 15, 2011, 5:00:23 AM5/15/11

It would have been nice if there was a group with cocoa powder and one
with milk chocolate. This way we could compare if the milk had any
adverse or positive effects and if it is the sugar in milk chocolate
that reduces the beneficial effects of cocoa. This study gives rise to
the thought that it doesn't matter if you eat dark chocolate or milk
chocolate as long as the overall cocoa intake is the same. The
increased sugar intake for the latter probably is detrimental.

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

May 17, 2011, 12:30:18 AM5/17/11

I use cocoa but not with milk but rather heavy cream (sugar free
brands) and I don't ever use standard sugar
though at times I'll use a teaspoonful
of myo-inositol (meat sugar). Also sour cream with a couple
of heaping spoonfuls of cocoa can be quite tasty. I do make
sure to avoid sour creams with added starches.

Cocoa may lower the blood pressure somewhat or so it
seems to me.

Trig

Doug Freyburger

May 17, 2011, 11:51:03 AM5/17/11
trigonom...@gmail.com | wrote:

> I use cocoa but not with milk but rather heavy cream (sugar free
> brands) and I don't ever use standard sugar
> though at times I'll use a teaspoonful
> of myo-inositol (meat sugar). Also sour cream with a couple
> of heaping spoonfuls of cocoa can be quite tasty. I do make
> sure to avoid sour creams with added starches.

There's a classic low carb recipe called "nookie pudding" that's sour
cream and cottage cheese (or sour cream and cream cheese) blended with
unsweetened baking cocoa powder plus artificial sweetner to taste. Whip
until uniform. Simple, rich, delicious and statisfying.

Ted

May 17, 2011, 5:22:12 PM5/17/11
On May 17, 12:30 am, "trigonometry1...@gmail.com |"

I thought milk nullified the benefit of chocolate?

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

May 18, 2011, 5:38:55 PM5/18/11

Perhaps I am wrong but milk compared to cream has more
protein and calcium so cream would likely have less effect
on the polyphenolic flavonoids.

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

May 18, 2011, 5:40:32 PM5/18/11
On May 17, 8:51 am, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I'll suggest one can skip the fake sweetners and get an acceptable
product. Then again I am not a huge fan of the taste sweet.

Trig

Doug Freyburger

May 19, 2011, 10:37:49 AM5/19/11
trigonom...@gmail.com | wrote:

> Doug Freyburger <dfrey...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> There's a classic low carb recipe called "nookie pudding" that's sour
>> cream and cottage cheese (or sour cream and cream cheese) blended with
>> unsweetened baking cocoa powder plus artificial sweetner to taste.  Whip
>> until uniform.  Simple, rich, delicious and statisfying.
>
> I'll suggest one can skip the fake sweetners and get an acceptable
> product. Then again I am not a huge fan of the taste sweet.

My "to taste" matches yours - None. Even among low carbers we're in
the minority, though. It's an option to use stevia. Like hemlock it's
natural. ;^)

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

May 19, 2011, 7:21:44 PM5/19/11
On May 19, 7:37 am, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I wouldn't trust stevia much further than I trust the fake sweeteners.
Anyway as I understand it, just tasting sweet can result in an insulin
release. Then again maybe that is something I might want provided
it didn't alter the urge to eat but that is likely influenced as well.