Death of James South

Thomas Carter

Aug 6, 2006, 12:01:40 AM8/6/06

Here's the notice.

March 31th 2006
It is most fitting that we use this Friday Pearl as a tribute to James
South, MA., a noted biochemist in the field of nutritional medicine.
James was deeply involved with international nutritional medicine
research and was considered to be one of the leading nutritional
medicine formulators in the world. He was a prolific science writer,
and the editor-in-chief of the much respected Optimal Health Review.
James South recently died a quick death from an aggressive brain tumor.
He will be sorely missed by his world-wide colleagues including those
at Biosyntrx and Vitamin Research Products (VRP). The following James
South article - The New Plague of Our Times, is not to be missed by
anyone interested in the silent inflammatory process.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

South took ten to fifteen gms of vit C and a lot of
nootropics. He was about sixty years old. Food for thought. I've had a
slowly maturing fantasy that five or ten years from now we life
extensionists who supplement heavily would begin to notice that none of
us were dying. Still one in the ten years I've been conversant with the
literature is not too bad. Does anyone know of others? Their age at
death? How about the CR group, have any of them died? Know of any with
cancer, stroke, or MI?

Thomas

Matti Narkia

Aug 6, 2006, 5:23:34 AM8/6/06
On 5 Aug 2006 21:01:40 -0700, "Thomas Carter" <tcar...@elp.rr.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Here's the notice.
>
>March 31th 2006
>It is most fitting that we use this Friday Pearl as a tribute to James
>South, MA., a noted biochemist in the field of nutritional medicine.
>James was deeply involved with international nutritional medicine
>research and was considered to be one of the leading nutritional
>medicine formulators in the world. He was a prolific science writer,
>and the editor-in-chief of the much respected Optimal Health Review.
>James South recently died a quick death from an aggressive brain tumor.
>He will be sorely missed by his world-wide colleagues including those
>at Biosyntrx and Vitamin Research Products (VRP). The following James
>South article - The New Plague of Our Times, is not to be missed by
>anyone interested in the silent inflammatory process.

Thanks Thomas. I googled for the article and found these links:

The New “Plague” Of Our Times America’s Inflammation Epidemic Article
<http://www.vrp.com/art/1683.asp?c=1149726641531&k=/det/1525.asp&m=/includes/&p=no&s=0>
<http://www.vrp.com/pdf/april2005news.pdf>

Inflammation: The Plague of Our Times
<http://www.biosyntrx.com/Article.htm?ArticleID=361>

I suppose this is the article you mentioned.

An excerpt:

"Aging and Inflammation

There are various biological changes that occur with aging that
unfortunately tend to promote chronic inflammation. With
menopause, women typically suffer a drastic decrease in
circulating estrogens. During the generally more gradual
andropause, men tend to suffer reduced free testosterone. The
adrenal steroid DHEA also shows a steep drop with aging, (44)
as does the pineal hormone melatonin. (45). Cortisol levels
tend to increase with age, as do adrenalin/noradrenalin. (3).
Unfortunately, all these changes tend to promote inflammation.

Interleukin-6 is one of the most powerful and significant pro-
inflammatory cytokines. (3). It is secreted by a wide range of
cells. (3) It promotes the liver’s release of acute phase
(inflammation) reaction products, including pro-inflammatory C-
reactive protein and fibrinogen.(3), (13). (Fibrinogen,
formerly considered only a pro-coagulation factor, is now
considered an inflammatory factor, as well.(47)

Interleukin-6 promotes a wide range of pathology, including
diabetes, (17) cancer, (10) age-related frailty, (4), (5)
insulin resistance, (46) heart disease (Fig. 1), (20), (21),
(47) osteoporosis, (3) the “euthyroid sick syndrome” (reduced
T3 levels),3 rheumatoid arthritis, (3). Alzheimer’s disease,
(48), and obesity. (26). Interleukin-6 levels tend to increase
with age. (3)

Estrogen and testosterone tend to suppress interleukin-6
secretion, but these hormones decrease after menopause and
andropause (3). DHEA suppresses interleukin-6 secretion, but
DHEA levels drop drastically from age 15 to 75. (44) Adrenalin
and noradrenalin promote interleukin-6 secretion, and they tend
to increase with age.(3) Thus, it is hardly surprising that
interleukin-6 levels tend to increase with age.

Five-lipoxygenase is an enzyme that increases with aging. (45),
(49). It converts arachidonic acid into the powerful
inflammatory leukotrienes. (45), (49).

Leukotrienes promote cancer, (18) damage the brain, (45)
promote asthma, (18) arthritis, (18) psoriasis (18) and
ulcerative colitis. (18). They may also promote
atherosclerosis.(56) The 5-lipoxygenase enzyme is activated by
glucocorticoids (cortisol), (49) and inhibited by melatonin.
(45), (49). Unfortunately, aging and interleukin-6 increase
cortisol in humans, (3), (50) while melatonin decreases
drastically with aging. (51). "

--
Matti Narkia

Aug 6, 2006, 1:56:07 PM8/6/06

"Thomas Carter" <tcar...@elp.rr.com> wrote in message

> I've had a
> slowly maturing fantasy that five or ten years from now we life
> extensionists who supplement heavily would begin to notice that none of
> us were dying.

Yes, followers of the Guru of Morelife.org and CRON are finding that death
of the ME Generation comes even to ME. Isn't a shame that there seem to be
certain universal laws of life and death and the construction of the
universae that are currently beyond our control? We aren't gods, even
though we make outselves to be such?

Oh, do I owe you and yours a PayPal payment for the privilege for having
read your posting?

Message has been deleted

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Aug 7, 2006, 4:55:15 PM8/7/06

Thomas Carter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's the notice.
>
> March 31th 2006
> It is most fitting that we use this Friday Pearl as a tribute to James
> South, MA., a noted biochemist in the field of nutritional medicine.
> James was deeply involved with international nutritional medicine
> research and was considered to be one of the leading nutritional
> medicine formulators in the world. He was a prolific science writer,
> and the editor-in-chief of the much respected Optimal Health Review.
> James South recently died a quick death from an aggressive brain tumor.
> He will be sorely missed by his world-wide colleagues including those
> at Biosyntrx and Vitamin Research Products (VRP). The following James
> South article - The New Plague of Our Times, is not to be missed by
> anyone interested in the silent inflammatory process.
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> South took ten to fifteen gms of vit C and a lot of
> nootropics. He was about sixty years old. Food for thought.

Many people highly involved with healthy living (including South and
earlier including such notables as Adelle Davis) got that way because
they were very unhealthy at some earlier age. This itself is several
strikes against their living especially long lives, IMO.

> I've had a
> slowly maturing fantasy that five or ten years from now we life
> extensionists who supplement heavily would begin to notice that none of
> us were dying.

Me too, but not *none*, merely fewer than normal.

> Still one in the ten years I've been conversant with the
> literature is not too bad. Does anyone know of others? Their age at
> death? How about the CR group, have any of them died?

Walford himself, of course.

> Know of any with cancer, stroke, or MI?

Another one is Thomas Donaldson who wrote the little book "A Guide to
Anti-Aging Drugs" which is online at:
http://lef.org/anti-aging/book.html Thomas had been highly
knowledgeable about life extension and ways to combat aging for several
decades as well as being a dedicated cryonicist. He first suffered a
brain tumor and received radiation therapy in 1988 which appeared to
cause a remission although many who knew him well thought that he was
never as mentally capable afterwards and he was never able to resume
employment as a mathematician (he had a PhD in mathematics). Recently
his brain cancer reappeared and he succumbed to it in January of this
year.

Here is the entry for Thomas in Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Donaldson

I could find nowhere online where Thomas' age at legal death (or at any
specific time) or date of birth is given, but based on the reference to
him at:
http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/Donaldson-VanDeKampAbstract.html (of
an article published in 1993 but written earlier) which describes him
as a "46 year old mathematician and computer software scientist", the
fact that he received his PhD in 1969 and my personal acquaintance with
him, I estimate that his age at death was somewhere between 59 and 61.

--Paul Wakfer

MoreLife for the rational - http://morelife.org
Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality
The Self-Sovereign Individual Project - http://selfsip.org
Rational freedom by self-sovereignty & social contracting

Aug 7, 2006, 7:36:34 PM8/7/06

"Paul Antonik Wakfer" <pa...@morelife.org> wrote in message

> x the

> fact that he received his PhD in 1969 and my personal acquaintance with
> him, I estimate that his age at death was somewhere between 59 and 61.
>
> --Paul Wakfer

Which makes you overdue, Tom/Paul/WhomeverToday. Except I see you dying
violently because of your mean spirited, haughty nature. Thankfully and
regretfully it'll not be my doing. It'll be the reaping of what you've
sown.

Paul Antonik Wakfer

Aug 7, 2006, 8:41:42 PM8/7/06

Paul Antonik Wakfer wrote:

<snip>

> I could find nowhere online where Thomas' age at legal death (or at any
> specific time) or date of birth is given, but based on the reference to
> him at:
> http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/Donaldson-VanDeKampAbstract.html (of
> an article published in 1993 but written earlier) which describes him
> as a "46 year old mathematician and computer software scientist", the
> fact that he received his PhD in 1969 and my personal acquaintance with
> him, I estimate that his age at death was somewhere between 59 and 61.

I wish to make it clear that I am only speaking here of death in the
legal sense and not in the biological sense. As a cryonicist, and
because Thomas has been cryopreserved with the latest vitrification
techniques, it is not yet clear and will not be for centuries perhaps
whether or not he is biologically dead in the sense that he is not
revivable and restorable to fully functional human life. In fact, some
cryonicists go so far as to say it will never be clear when someone who
is cryopreserved is biologically dead, only when s/he is fully
functional again. It is in this sense that cryopreservation is seen as
time travel into the future, little different in kind from any
procedure (such as a major medical operation) that renders one
unconscious and totally dependent on others for any length of time.
Cryopreservation is like any good medical operation, a procedure of
stabilization, repair and revival which begins in the present and will
end in the future. Yes, some additional damage is done by the initial
stabilization itself. However, since that is true of any other major
medical procedure, cyropreservation should not be dismissed merely on
that grounds alone.

rflalonde

Aug 8, 2006, 10:40:53 AM8/8/06

Talk about mean-spirited! Do your keepers know that you have access to
a computer, T?

Michael C Price

Aug 8, 2006, 12:10:24 PM8/8/06
> South took ten to fifteen gms of vit C and a lot of
> nootropics. He was about sixty years old. Food for thought.

Just taking vitamin C in addition to "a lot of nootropics"
doesn't sound like a recipe for a long and healthy life.

- Michael C Price

--
- Michael C Price

Aug 8, 2006, 4:37:17 PM8/8/06

"Michael C Price" <michael....@tesco.net> wrote in message

> > South took ten to fifteen gms of vit C and a lot of
> > nootropics. He was about sixty years old. Food for thought.
>

> Just taking vitamin C in addition to "a lot of nootropics"
> doesn't sound like a recipe for a long and healthy life.
>
> - Michael C Price

Indeed Linus Pauling took the Bs and other things besides C.

Michael C Price

Aug 8, 2006, 6:21:00 PM8/8/06
"T" <tpall...@THISrealtime.SPAMnet> wrote in message

Yes, LP was much more than just "Mr Vitamin C" and he made
it to 93 -- not bad considering his parents only made it to 34 and 45.

Michael C Price

Aug 8, 2006, 6:30:24 PM8/8/06
There would seem to be pattern of LEs dying of non-CVDs
(which usually means cancer -- Walford (ALS) is the only
exception that springs to mind) - I suspect because
supplements are more effective at reversing cardio-vascular
damage than they are reversing DNA damage, in the same
way that some one who stops smoking can, within a few
years, regain a never-smoker's CVD age-risk profile, but
never regain a never-smoker's cancer age-risk profile.

- Michael C Price

Thomas Carter

Aug 9, 2006, 1:46:34 AM8/9/06

South took a wide range of supplements most notably heavy on
nootropics. The writings of Donaldson suggest that he also took
nootropics. In an '82 interview he said he took deanol and vitamin B5.
South took B5, but not deanol. I read nothing into the B5 connection,
but i do think the posibility that both took nootropic is intriguing if
not scary.

Only one in 250 Americans die of brain cancer, so the chance of a
coincidence is clearly less than 1/250. I think Pauling took only
vitamin C until late in life when he started on another vitamin or two.
His wife took only C. They both died of cancer. Saul Kent reportedly
had a brush with cancer. A cryonocist whose name might have been
"2030" died of pancreatic cancer, but I don't know that he was a life
extensionist.

Do life extensionists get anything but cancer?

Thomas

Michael C Price

Aug 9, 2006, 5:41:05 AM8/9/06
Hi Thomas,
you may be right about the nootropic=brain cancer
angle, which is a scary thought.

I had a lot of correspondence with Donaldson: I
would say that on the vitamin front he (like Walford)
was pretty conservative, judged w.r.t. to some folks
here (including myself).

Good point about 2030 -- I'd forgotten about him.
And Saul Kent's cancer was a brain tumour. Rather
surprisingly Kent is also quite conservative (with the
above caveat) about micronutrient consumption.

> Do life extensionists get anything but cancer?

I suspect, as a general rule, they do not get anything
but cancer simply because they don't die of cardiovascular
disease.

Are you sure about Pauling only taking vitamin C until
late in life? -- reading some of his books he seemed quite
keen from the start on B-vits as well.

--
- Michael C Price

"Thomas Carter" <tcar...@elp.rr.com> wrote in message

jc101

Aug 9, 2006, 10:12:48 AM8/9/06
With the untimely death of anti-oxidationist James South due to cancer,
it is time to examine an alternate theory of oxidants and
anti-oxidants. Dr. Randolph Howes has written extensive reviews in the
last two years on the effects of using anti-oxidants and has a theory
concerning the importance of oxidants in maintaining homeostasis and
preventing cancer and other disease states.

It is known that exercise increases oxidant load temporally and has a
good effect on health. This may be by causing an increase in the body's
immune and repair function.

It is time for the brave and diligent reader to examine Howes. You
should go into this with an open mind. Pursuing good health is science,
not religion, so always evaluate new and old ideas critically.

>From a recent review paper of his : "....extensive antioxidant studies
have failed to confirm the free radical theory and antioxidant use may
cause harm or accelerate one's demise. The free radical theory has
fallen." http://tinyurl.com/l3kd4

http://www.thepundit.com/biographical-sketch.doc bio
http://www.thepundit.com/biographical-sketch.doc home page
http://www.thepundit.com/downloads/cardiovascular.pdf cardiovascular
disease and oxidants

Thomas Carter

Aug 9, 2006, 11:16:19 AM8/9/06
Hi Michael,

Michael C Price wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> you may be right about the nootropic=brain cancer
> angle, which is a scary thought.
>
> I had a lot of correspondence with Donaldson: I
> would say that on the vitamin front he (like Walford)
> was pretty conservative, judged w.r.t. to some folks
> here (including myself).
>
> Good point about 2030 -- I'd forgotten about him.
> And Saul Kent's cancer was a brain tumour. Rather
> surprisingly Kent is also quite conservative (with the
> above caveat) about micronutrient consumption.
>
> > Do life extensionists get anything but cancer?
> >
> I suspect, as a general rule, they do not get anything
> but cancer simply because they don't die of cardiovascular
> disease.
>
> Are you sure about Pauling only taking vitamin C until
> late in life? -- reading some of his books he seemed quite
> keen from the start on B-vits as well.
> --
> - Michael C Price

No, I'm not at all sure about Pauling. I have a vague memory of reading
something in which someone said that of him. I did read an early
interview in which he mentioned taking nothing but C. He took most of
it in orange juice as a powder for breakfast.

Except for Pauling at age 93 the others got their cancers at early
ages. This would suggest a direct cause, not just staying alive until
cancer is bound to get them.

We badly need to know what Donaldson and Kent were taking. Three brain
cancers are too many for a coincidence.

Thomas

Aug 9, 2006, 12:38:10 PM8/9/06

> Are you sure about Pauling only taking vitamin C until
> late in life? -- reading some of his books he seemed quite
> keen from the start on B-vits as well.
> --
> - Michael C Price

It's pretty evident from reading the writings of Dr. Linus Pauling and
listening to his lectures that he was Vitamin C only guy. He wasn't,
however a LEF let's jam everything into the caplet we can guy either.

There are two aspects of cancer: genes gone wrong and the immune system not
catching the defective cells. It seems to me that LEs spend a lot of time
trying to prevent those mutations (which is of course admirable) but I don't
read that much about LEs trying to stimulate the immune system to go after
cancer cells.

Michael C Price

Aug 9, 2006, 6:35:36 PM8/9/06

> "Michael C Price" <michael....@tesco.net> wrote in message
>

>> Are you sure about Pauling only taking vitamin C until
>> late in life? -- reading some of his books he seemed quite
>> keen from the start on B-vits as well.
>> --
>> - Michael C Price
>

> It's pretty evident from reading the writings of Dr. Linus Pauling and
> listening to his lectures that he was Vitamin C only guy. He wasn't,
> however a LEF let's jam everything into the caplet we can guy either.

That's not what I read. As I said, he talked and wrote about
coenzymes and B-vits as well as vit C.

> There are two aspects of cancer: genes gone wrong and the immune system
> not
> catching the defective cells. It seems to me that LEs spend a lot of time
> trying to prevent those mutations (which is of course admirable) but I
> don't
> read that much about LEs trying to stimulate the immune system to go after
> cancer cells.

try garlic, RNA, selenium and zinc. Here're my notes on zinc and immunity:
Immune Dysfunction

The thymus gland, possessed by all vertebrates including humans, regulates
the maturation of white blood cells into T-cells, which are critical for our
immune function, along with producing a range of hormones (thymosin,
interleukin, interferon) required for immune function. In childhood our
immune systems are very powerful and resistant to infections; our "golden
years" for disease resistance. The thymus is of a pinkish-gray color,
located between the heart and thyroid. At birth it weighs about 15 grams, it
grows throughout childhood until by puberty it weighs about 35 grams; after
this it gradually atrophies to 25 grams at twenty-five years, less than 15
grams at sixty, and to about 6 grams at seventy years - a six-fold shrinkage
from puberty.

People with no thymus gland (which is sometimes removed if it becomes
cancerous) experience other symptoms associated with old age (greying hair,
obesisty, loss of skin elasticity), besides decreased resistance to
infections. Clearly the thymus has a significant role to play in aging.
Thymic atrophy with age was regarded, until recently, as irreversible.
However we now know that the thymus can partially regrow and regain much of
its lost function by the adminstration of thymosin, melatonin or extra zinc.

Zinc regenerates the thymus90d, 90e, 90f restoring the immune system90h and
reduces human mortality90b.

[90b] Associations of Mortality With Ocular Disorders and an Intervention of
High-Dose Antioxidants and Zinc in the Age-Related Eye Disease Study: AREDS
Report No. 13. AREDS Research Group (Authors: Traci E. Clemons, PhD; Natalie
Kurinij, PhD; Robert D. Sperduto, MD.) in Arch Ophthalmol. 2004
May;122(5):716-26. PMID: 15136320

"Participants randomly assigned to receive zinc [80mg/d] had lower mortality
than those not taking zinc (RR, 0.73; 95% CI, 0.61-0.89)."

[90d] Reversibility of the thymic involution and of age-related peripheral
immune dysfunctions by zinc supplementation in old mice. Mocchegiani E,
Santarelli L, Muzzioli M, Fabris N in Int J Immunopharmacol. 1995
Sep;17(9):703-18. PMID: 8582782

"With advanced ageing the zinc pool undergoes progressive reduction as shown
by the low zinc plasma levels and the negative crude zinc balance, both in
humans and in rodents. It has been suggested that such zinc deficiency might
be involved in many age-related immunological dysfunctions, including thymic
failure. The relevance of zinc for good functioning of the entire immune
system is, at present, well documented. In particular, zinc is required to
confer biological activity to one of the best-known thymic peptides,
thymulin, which is responsible for cell-mediated immunity. In deep zinc
deficiencies, in humans and other animals, the low thymulin levels are due
not to a primary failure of the thymus, but to a reduced peripheral
saturation of thymic hormones by zinc ions. In aged mice both a reduced
peripheral saturation of the hormone and a decreased production by the
thymus were present. Oral zinc supplementation in old mice (22 months old)
for 1 month induced a complete recovery of crude zinc balance from negative
(-1.82) to positive values (+1.47), similar to those of young animals
(+1.67). A full recovery of thymic functions with a regrowth of the organ
and a partial restoration of the peripheral immune efficiency, as measured
by mitogen responsiveness (PHA and ConA) and natural killer cell (NK)
activity, were observed after zinc supplementation. These findings clearly
pin-point for relevance of zinc for immune efficiency and suggest that the
age-related thymic involution and peripheral immunological dysfunctions are
not intrinsic and irreversible events but are largely dependent on the
altered zinc pool." The mice received 22mg /L/d of zinc sulphate in their
water.

[90e] Plasticity of neuroendocrine-thymus interactions during aging. Fabris
N, Mocchegiani E, Provinciali M in Exp Gerontol. 1997
Jul-Oct;32(4-5):415-29. PMID: 9315446

"Thymic regrowth and reactivation of thymic endocrine activity may be
achieved even in old animals by [.] zinc supplementation. These data
strongly suggest that thymic, involution is a phenomenon secondary to
age-related alterations in neuroendocrine-thymus interactions and that it is
the disruption of such interactions in old age that is responsible for
age-associated dysfunction. [.] The effects range from the reactivation of
zinc-dependent enzymes, required for both cell proliferation and apoptosis,
to the reactivation of thymulin, a zinc-dependent thymic hormone. The role
of zinc may even be more crucial. According to recent preliminary data
obtained both in animal and human studies, it appears that the above
reported endocrinological manipulations capable of restoring thymic activity
in old age, may act also by normalizing the altered zinc pool."

[90f] Restoration of the thymus in aging mice by in vivo zinc
supplementation. Dardenne M, Boukaiba N, Gagnerault MC, Homo-Delarche F,
Chappuis P, Lemonnier D, Savino W in Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1993
Feb;66(2):127-35. PMID: 8453784

"A multiparametric study of the thymus was performed in normal aging mice
(12-15 months old) submitted to a mild oral zinc supplementation during 3-6
months as compared to age-matched control mice. First, this study
demonstrated that in rodents, zinc levels are significantly reduced with
aging and can be restored to values close to those observed in young animals
after 6 months of zinc supplementation. Second, our data showed that oral
zinc administration stimulates thymus growth and partially restores the
microenvironmental as well as lymphoid compartments of the organ. Regarding
thymic endocrine function, a significant increase in thymulin levels and a
concomitant decrease in plasma thymulin inhibitors were observed, suggesting
that the age-related decline of thymic function might at least partially be
due to extrinsic factors, such as zinc deficiency. The total number of
thymic lymphocytes was consistently increased, without significant changes
in CD4/CD8 defined thymocyte subsets. Finally, structural changes of the
thymus epithelium were also detected, including the disappearance of
epithelial cysts frequently observed in old animals, reappearance of a
normal pattern of the thymic epithelial cell network, and a decrease in the
extracellular matrix network. Taken together, these data suggest that
aging-related physiological zinc deficiency induces some relevant changes in
thymus structure and function which can be partially corrected by a mild
oral zinc supplementation."

[90g] Presence of links between zinc and melatonin during the circadian
cycle in old mice: effects on thymic endocrine activity and on the survival.
Mocchegiani E, Santarelli L, Tibaldi A, Muzzioli M, Bulian D, Cipriano K,
Olivieri F, Fabris N. in J Neuroimmunol. 1998 Jun 15;86(2):111-22. PMID:
9663556

"The beneficial effect of the links between zinc and melatonin on thymic
functions during the circadian cycle, may be extended to a prolonged
survival in aging, where, however, zinc may be more involved [than
melatonin]."

Median lifespan extension 39%; max lifespan extension 10% (relative to the
controls) for the zinc sulphate mice who received 22mg/L = 4.83 mg zinc/L in
their water; intervention started at 18 months, median control died at 22
months; controls and test mice received slightly more zinc in their food;
i.e. test mice received slightly less than twice the amount of zinc as the
control mice received. Total human equivalent zinc intake = 11mg/d. See
PMID: 8582782 full text for more details on water and food intake levels;
zinc sulphate = Zn S04 . 7(H2O); 22.7% zinc by wt. 22mg zinc suphate = 5mg
zinc. The zinc sulphate mice also outlived the melatonin- supplemented mice.
Zinc and melatonin levels were correlated in both the zinc and melatonin
supplemented mice.

- Michael C Price

Aug 9, 2006, 7:47:15 PM8/9/06

> "T" <tpall...@THISrealtime.SPAMnet> wrote in message
> > It's pretty evident from reading the writings of Dr. Linus Pauling and
> > listening to his lectures that he was Vitamin C only guy. He wasn't,
> > however a LEF let's jam everything into the caplet we can guy either.
>
> That's not what I read. As I said, he talked and wrote about
> coenzymes and B-vits as well as vit C.

That was a typo. I meant to say "that he was not just a Vitamin C guy".

Zinc is of course a given. I take Dr. Frank's quantities of RNA and often
empty off the shelves of what used to be iHerb of Kyolic. LDN isn't a bad
idea either.

Kingsley G. Morse Jr.

Aug 10, 2006, 12:02:59 AM8/10/06
An article that gives his age, and describes his
supplement regime, is at

http://www.antiaging-systems.com/extract/supplement.htm

Thanks,
Kingsley

njnava...@yahoo.com

Aug 10, 2006, 6:42:49 AM8/10/06
Thanks for the informative link.

Depending on the month of his birth, apparently he was only 57 or 58
yrs. old. And he took a wide range of supplements, including such
things as magnesium, selenium and grape seed extract, although he does
not specify the dosage of everything he took.

On the negative side, his characterized his diet as "high meat", and
his lifestyle as "fairly sedentary". Moreover, unless I missed it, he
didn't mention his fruit and vegetable intake, which leads me to
speculate that he was not a big fruit and vegetable person.

Based on the health problems he describes, I guess you can say he was
born with a "bad set of genes", and that may have been a significant
factor, but frankly, I knew quite a few people who *really* abused
themselves, and lived longer than that. Overall not a very encouraging
picture, IMO.

Aug 10, 2006, 12:19:12 PM8/10/06

"Kingsley G. Morse Jr." <cha...@nas.com> wrote in message

I find his use and results from nootropics fascinating in light of the
ongoing debate about these on the Immortality Forum and rec.drugs.smart.
There's currently a thread on rec.drugs.smart which argues that the
nootopics available to us both in the US from sometimes questionable sources
and those imported from Europe just don't give the punch we read about in
the books. I'm one of those people who find nootropics I'm able to acquire
to be by and large overstimulating or useless. But then again we've got a
number of categories of people contributing to rec.drugs.smart. There are
the young and impressionable (heck, I though pantothenic acid to be a wonder
drug for the first few months I took it many years ago), the peddlers of
nootropics, the ADD, ADHD people and the people who have probably have
superior intelligence and intellect and are relatively young. Those people
say they feeling something and they score a bit better on certain tests.
I've maintained that the nootropics are for those who need them. And a 30
something expecting results from an Alzheimer's disease or old timers
disease drug is a little to much off label usage, IMO. James South sounds
like he was a good candidate for nootropics and was probably able to get the
real substances and real result from using them.

Michael C Price

Aug 10, 2006, 3:43:57 PM8/10/06
"T" <tpall...@THISrealtime.SPAMnet> wrote in message

What's LDN?

Aug 10, 2006, 6:18:24 PM8/10/06

> "T" <tpall...@THISrealtime.SPAMnet> wrote in message
> >
> >> "T" <tpall...@THISrealtime.SPAMnet> wrote in message

> > Zinc is of course a given. I take Dr. Frank's quantities of RNA and

often
> > empty off the shelves of what used to be iHerb of Kyolic. LDN isn't a
bad
> > idea either.
> >

> What's LDN?
>
> --
> - Michael C Price

Low Dose Naltrexone

Message has been deleted

Aug 11, 2006, 5:53:42 PM8/11/06

"Pramesh Rutajit" <p297622...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> T wrote:
> >
> > Low Dose Naltrexone
>
> And what benefit is expected from it for the average person?
>
> --
>
> Pramesh Rutajit - p297622...@newsguy.com - remove tongue to reply.

Probably no benefit to be derived by the mythical average person. It
balances the immune response. It has prevented HIV patients from getting
AIDS for 20 years, is used in fibro, cysto, appears to fight and perhaps
work cures on certain cancers, and might result in not dying from the bird
flu, which causes an out of sync response of the immune system that kills
the body.

Since most of us are not the mythical average person, at around USD 120+/-
for a year's supply, it's not a bad way to cover some of the bases not
covered by other things we take. You could Google LDN and read all about it
for yourself without having to ask me further. If you don't think it's a
good idea, then fine. Others do.

njnava...@yahoo.com

Aug 11, 2006, 8:29:32 PM8/11/06
You bring up a good point.

This is something that has concerned me for a long time.

As I see it, the extent to which ROS related damage is a primary driver
of aging is an open question, but there is little doubt, IMO, that
oxidative damage contributes to aging related pathology. And I am
therefore interested in minimizing it.

I would say that in addition to upregulating repair (e.g., upregulating
methionine sulfoxide reductases), the idea is to prevent oxidative
damage to the extent possible without short-circuiting the low level
ROS signalling essential to the homeostasis you mention.

So on a practical level, the critical question is, what types of
"antioxidants" and at what dosages?

I put antioxidants in quotes since IMO it's a somewhat ambiguous term,
meaning different things in different contexts.

In my mind I've somewhat simple-mindedly classified "antioxidants" into
three different functional categories: those that work mainly (A) by
direct scavenging, (B) by "precursor loading" and (C) indirectly by
upregulating endogenous antioxidants (hormesis?).

I say simple-minded in part because many if not most "antioxidants" I'm
aware of, seem to have multiple effects and fit into more than one
category. And not all antioxidants have equal access to all parts of
cells, etc. So it's actually very complicated I'm sure, thus I'm really
just "thinking out loud" in general terms here.

Having not much theory or empirical evidence to go on, all I can do is
take the bits and pieces available and try to speculate.

What worries me, especially when I see what happened to James South, is
that some things that life-extensionists take, rather than having an
additive or synergistic effect, may actually cancel each other out.

The following in vitro study may be an example of a similar net
antioxidant effect produced either by a direct acting antioxidant
(Asc-2-O-phosphate) or an indirect acting hormetic (actually a
pro-oxidant).

So the question is, what would happen if both types of substances were
taken together?

J Cell Biochem. 2004 Oct 15;93(3):588-97. Related Articles, Links

Slow-down of age-dependent telomere shortening is executed in human
skin keratinocytes by hormesis-like-effects of trace hydrogen peroxide
or by anti-oxidative effects of pro-vitamin C in common concurrently
with reduction of intracellular oxidative stress.

Yokoo S, Furumoto K, Hiyama E, Miwa N.

Laboratory of Cell Death Control BioTechnology, Hiroshima Prefectural
University School of BioSciences, Shobara, Hiroshima 727-0023, Japan.

The cellular life-span of cultivated human skin epidermis
keratinocytes NHEK-F was shown to be extended up to 150% of population
doubling levels (PDLs) by repetitive addition with two
autooxidation-resistant derivatives of ascorbic acid (Asc),
Asc-2-O-phosphate (Asc2P), and Asc-2-O-alpha-glucoside (Asc2G),
respectively, but to be not extended with Asc itself. In contrast,
hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)) as dilute as 20 microM which was
non-cytotoxic to the keratinocytes, or at 60 microM being marginally
cytotoxic achieved the cellular longevity, unexpectedly, up to 160 and
120% of PDLs, respectively, being regarded as a hormesis-like
stimulatory effect. The lifespan-extended cells that were administered
with Asc2P, Asc2G, or 20 microM H(2)O(2) were prevented from
senescence-induced symptoms such as PDL-dependent enlargement of a
cell size of 14.7 microm finally up to 17.4 microm upon Hayflick's
limit-called loss of proliferation ability as estimated with a
channelizer, and retained young cell morphological aspects such as
thick and compact shape and intense attachment to the culture
substratum even upon advanced PDLs, whereas other non-extended cells
looked like thin or fibrous shape and large size upon lower PDLs. The
PDL-dependent shortening of telomeric DNA of 11.5 kb finally down to
9.12-8.10 kb upon Hayflick's limit was observed in common for each
additive-given cells, but was decelerated in the following order: 20
microM H(2)O(2) > Asc2P = Asc2G > 60 microM H(2)O(2) > Asc = no
additive, being in accord with the order of cell longevity.
Intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) was diminished by Asc2P,
Asc2G or 20 microM H(2)O(2), but not significantly by Asc or 60 microM
H(2)O(2) as estimated by fluorometry using the redox indicator dye
CDCFH. There was no appreciable difference among NHEK keratinocytes
that were administered with or without diverse additives in terms of
telomerase activity per cell, which was 1.40 x 10(4)-4.48 x 10(4)
times lower for the keratinocytes than for HeLa cells which were
examined as the typical tumor cells. Thus longevity of the
keratinocytes was suggested to be achieved by slowdown of
age-dependent shortening of telomeric DNA rather than by telomerase;
telomeres may suffer from less DNA lesions due to the continuous and
thorough repression of intracellular ROS, which was realized either by
pro-vitamin C such as Asc2P or Asc2G that exerted an antioxidant
ability more persistent than Asc itself or by 20 microM H(2)O(2) which
diminished intracellular ROS assumedly through a hormesis-like effect.
Copyright 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

PMID: 15378602 [PubMed - in process]

Message has been deleted

Hua Kul

Aug 16, 2006, 4:56:58 PM8/16/06
Pramesh Rutajit wrote:

> >> What's LDN?

> And what benefit is expected from it for the average person?

This was originally LDN pioneer Dr. Bihari's web site,
http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

If anyone reading this knows how someone in the US could receive
naltrexone w/o a prescription I would be appreciative if you could pass
that information on to me. I may be contacted at pollymorfuss (at)
hotmail.

--Hua Kul