ASCII and Shavian literals

Bohgosity BumaskiL

Jan 26, 2012, 3:52:36 AM1/26/12

Please excuse me if my map iz not complete,
or if you think it iz anglocentric.
It should include all of the European sounds.
Any amendments you could sujest might go into
another page of
http://edmc.net/~brewhaha/font/fonoglif.pdf 1.28 MB
(my apologies for not making that efficient with
shaded fills, and I do what I can with software
I know)
when I am confident that it iz correct, or at least
clear and unambiguous.
Substantial differences are between this and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shavian .
That iz because agreements sometimes oppose fact
and actually create confusion. At least that iz
my view of IPA on that noise.
/j/ iz not a vowel! It iz a voiced palatal stop.

Shavian Name
Soft and Hard Vowels in alternation (+schwa)
/a/ Ah Ash
/A/ Ay Age
/e/ Eh Egg
/E/ Ee EAt
/i/ Ih If
/oE/ awEE Ice
/o/ Aw On or AWe (Albertan)
/O/ Oh OAk
/u/ Uh Up
/U/ UU OOze
/@/ Oo wOOl

Semivowels
/L/ Lay LoLL
/y/ Yeh Yea
/h/ Hai Ha-ha
/w/ Waw Woe
/r/ Ruu RoaR

Nasals
/m/ aM MiMe Labial
/n/ iN NuN Dental
/ng/ ung huNG Glottal

Voiced Hisses
/v/ Vuu Vow Labial
/D/ Dhoh THey Dental
/z/ Zai Zoo
/Z/ Zhee meaSure Palatal
/Q/ Qay Glottal or Growl (no Shavian equiv.)

Whispered Hisses
/f/ Fuh Fee Labial
/T/ Thaw THigh Dental
/s/ Sih So
/S/ Sheh Sure Palatal
/X/ Xah buCH Glottal

Voiced Stops
/b/ Bay BiB Labial
/d/ Dee DeaD Dental
/j/ Joh JuJ Palatal
/g/ Guu GaG Glottal

Whispered Stops
/p/ Pah PeeP Labial
/t/ Teh ToT Dental
/C/ Chaw CHurCH Palatal
/k/ Kuh KicK Glottal

My font haz no reprezentation for the subtle vowels that intervene
between /r/, /l/, and vowels. Shavian does, but "array" iz not
pronounced with a schwa, for example of an error in wikipedia.
That would make it sound like @ray.
_______
http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/font/ Phonics and Phonoglyphs

Bohgosity BumaskiL

Jan 26, 2012, 5:15:00 AM1/26/12
"Array" duz not sound laik "Hooray" (without dhee aych).
Am I alone in thinking that IPA iz more kunfyuuzing dhan
Shavian names?

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Jan 26, 2012, 8:54:36 AM1/26/12
On 2012-01-26 11:15:00 +0100, Bohgosity BumaskiL
<brew...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> said:

> "Array" duz not sound laik "Hooray" (without dhee aych).

It does when I say them.

--
athel

António Marques

Jan 26, 2012, 12:11:21 PM1/26/12
Bohgosity BumaskiL wrote (26-01-2012 08:52):

> Please excuse me if my map iz not complete,
> or if you think it iz anglocentric.

Oice? oop? Geazers.

Nathan Sanders

Jan 26, 2012, 4:32:20 PM1/26/12
In article <9ocnda...@mid.individual.net>,
I think what's confusing is that you use:

<I> in "I" but <ai> in "like"
<dh> in "the" but <th> in "that"
<z> in "is" but <s> in "names"
<ay> in "aitch" but <a_e> in "names"

even though the members of each pair represent the same sound.

There's not really much point in replacing English spelling if you're
going to be half-assed about it.

Nathan

--
Department of Linguistics
Swarthmore College

Bohgosity BumaskiL

Jan 26, 2012, 8:26:28 PM1/26/12

Some of my reforms stick with me when I switch modes, and I've been
on mailing lists where people complained about "iz". It's good to
know that I might still hav a reader if I were to be rigorous.

liik
dhuh
dhat
naymz