Spring is in the Air...

1 view

Heidi Graw

Mar 29, 2008, 1:00:39 AM3/29/08
L. oestrus vs. L. eostur.

Toss in a couple of firy seraphim...

and what do you get?

One heck of an orgy

called Easter!

Spring has sprung and love is in the air.

Gorge on rabbits and eggs!

In honour of ...

Lith. Aistra, PGmc. Austron
and today's Ostara?

Oh ya...an afterthought..."Christ has risen!"

"You've got to be kidding!"

"No, I'm not. You'll find him in that rabbit warren." ;-)

Take care,
Heidi

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 29, 2008, 5:52:10 AM3/29/08

> Take care,
> Heidi

Old Slavic въскрьсениѥ (resurrection): Russ. воскресение, Serb. Vaskrs/
Uskrs are the words closely related to Oster, Easter, Ostara, Aistra
and these words are also closely related to the word "star"; Uskrs
(Easter) is also akin to Latin re-surrectio (surgo surgere; re-
surgere; resurrect). Dunube was once a resurrection river (Ister;
Greek Istros); i.e. its name was derived from the same primal basis
(Sur-Gon) as Greek αστηρ (star), Serbian zora (dawn), sunce (sun; from
su/r/nke) and zrak/a (sun-beam; ray).

The Greek word έσχάρα (fireplace, burner, torch) is phonetically
almost the same as the Serbian verb izgore-ti (burn) and the noun
iskra (spark; cf. Lat corusco /to twinkle, flash/; Serb. kresnuti /
sparkle, light up/). Now we can see that the Serbian words iskra
(spark; cf. Hun. szikra /spark/, Slavic loanword), kresati
(coruscate), is-krsnuti (to appear suddenly; emerge), us-krsnuti
(resurrect) and Uskrs (Easter) are clearly and logically related to
eachother.

When the name of Christ is in question (I wrote about it earlier
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.lang/msg/164103e932d60e10?) it
cannot be a calque from Hebrew Messiah (anointed one). Originally, the
Greek word χρίω (khrio, khriein) meant graze, similar to Serbian verb
gristi, grize (graze) and it is not an accident that English grease is
phonetically close to graze. :-)

In order to understand what really "happened" to the Christ's name we
must start from the OE rísan (to go up, rise; Serb. rast, rašćenje /
rise, raise, grow/). It means that the whole Christian doctrine is
based on the idea of resurrection; i.e. on the doomsday and the rising
of dead (as we know, Christ himself risen from his grave after he was
crucified and burried).
Christos is the (H)Risen One. ;-)

DV

Paul J Kriha

Mar 30, 2008, 12:54:05 AM3/30/08
"Dušan Vukotić" <dusan....@gmail.com> wrote in message

>On Mar 29, 6:00 am, "Heidi Graw" <hg...@telus.net> wrote:
>> L. oestrus vs. L. eostur.
>> Toss in a couple of firy seraphim...
>> and what do you get?
>> One heck of an orgy
>> called Easter!
>
>> Spring has sprung and love is in the air.
>> Gorge on rabbits and eggs!
>> In honour of ...
>
>> Lith. Aistra, PGmc. Austron
>> and today's Ostara?
>
>> Oh ya...an afterthought..."Christ has risen!"
>> "You've got to be kidding!"
>> "No, I'm not. You'll find him in that rabbit warren." ;-)
>
>> Take care,
>> Heidi
>
>Old Slavic въскрьсениѥ (resurrection): Russ. воскресение, Serb. Vaskrs/
>Uskrs are the words closely related to Oster, Easter, Ostara, Aistra
>and these words are also closely related to the word "star";

On just another entirely unrelated subject...

That is a handy word, resurrection, in Czech it's "vzkříšení".
I've never met a single non-native Cz speaker who could pronounce
it faultlessly.

Another surprisingly difficult (for the native English language speakers
that is), is "zmrzlina" (icecream). It doesn't have any palatalised
consonants and yet it's difficult. Usually people get stuck on the syllabic
"r" and end up inserting extra vowels or shwas.

>DV

Dušan Vukotić

Mar 30, 2008, 4:50:08 AM3/30/08
On Mar 30, 6:54 am, "Paul J Kriha" <paul.nospam.kr...@paradise.net.nz>
wrote:
> "Dušan Vukotić" <dusan.vuko...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Or Serb. vaskršnji (adj. Easter, paschal), promrzlina (chilblain);
interesting, now we can see that this English word (chilblain) is very
close to Serbian ozeblina (chilblain; from h/oh(l)bli-na) and
hladovina (shade). Namely, the both above Serbian words (ozeblina,
hladovina), as well as hladan (cold), are derivad from the same Gon-
Bel-Gon basis from wich the Serbo-Slavic words like nebo (sky) and
zemlja (earth) came out too. Compare zemlja (earth), ozeblina
(chilblain), zima (winter); Serbian phrases: "hladna zemlja" (cold
earth), "leći u hladnu zemlju" (to lie into the cold ground; die) are
very helpful here to understand how these Slavic words are formed.

DV

Trond Engen

Mar 30, 2008, 5:28:21 AM3/30/08
Paul J Kriha skreiv:

> Another surprisingly difficult (for the native English language
> speakers that is), is "zmrzlina" (icecream). It doesn't have any
> palatalised consonants and yet it's difficult. Usually people get
> stuck on the syllabic "r" and end up inserting extra vowels or shwas.

That's always the first word my wife learns in a foreign language. In
Prague last summer, she bought the Berlitz Czech on the airport and
looked at it on the way into the city. When we were unpacking, the
children turned on the TV and found an animated film with some children
playing in a tree. They heard a "ding", and went running, shouting
"zmrzlina". "What's up?", my children asked. "It's the ice cream van",
my wife knew.

--
Trond Engen
- went out to get some

Paul J Kriha

Mar 31, 2008, 1:27:47 AM3/31/08
"Trond Engen" <tron...@engen.priv.no> wrote in message news:stKdnZ3wKre...@telenor.com...

That confirms my theory that one quickly learns the words
necessary for survival. A very very distant cousin of mine (eighth
or nineth cousin once removed, or something like that) emigrated
to Queensland in Oz where he met and married an Austrian girl
from Vienna. Some years later they moved back to Europe,
to Vienna. A story was circulating about him that twelve months
later while he still managed passable English, all his German
was still consisting of only two sentences he learned on his
first day in Austria, namely "Ein bier, bitte" and "Noch einmal, bitte".

pjk

Craoi...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2008, 5:25:19 AM3/31/08
On Mar 30, 7:54 am, "Paul J Kriha" <paul.nospam.kr...@paradise.net.nz>
wrote:

> Another surprisingly difficult (for the native English language speakers

> that is), is "zmrzlina" (icecream). It doesn't have any palatalised
> consonants and yet it's difficult. Usually people get stuck on the syllabic
> "r" and end up inserting extra vowels or shwas.

I remember seeing on the telly a Czech film with an ice-cream seller
who was shouting "Zmrzlinaaaa! Zmrzlinaaaa!" all the time. He was
actually able to _shout_ that word! I was impressed.