Pronunciation of surname Icke

Ruud Harmsen

May 7, 2011, 8:38:48 AM5/7/11
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

Is the pronunciation given here, /AIk/, correct? If so, isn't that
rather peculiar seeing the spelling <icke>?
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com/new

Peter T. Daniels

May 7, 2011, 9:13:52 AM5/7/11
On May 7, 8:38 am, Ruud Harmsen <r...@rudhar.com> wrote:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke
>
> Is the pronunciation given here, /AIk/, correct? If so, isn't that
> rather peculiar seeing the spelling <icke>?

Harold Ickes, pere and fils, advisors to Roosevelt and Clinton
respectively, are /'ikiyz/.

Emungo

May 7, 2011, 9:59:52 AM5/7/11

It is correct, and though admittedly strange is one of the least
strange aspects of that very strange man.

Of course one could (and perhaps should) characterize the spelling as
odd rather than the pronunciation. Expect it appears in many different
forms in the parish registers of Staffordshire and Shropshire, which
is where it seems to be concentrated historically.

Ruud Harmsen

May 7, 2011, 2:17:47 PM5/7/11

Emungo <pyt...@tiscali.co.uk> wrochtte:

>It is correct, and though admittedly strange is one of the least
>strange aspects of that very strange man.

You can say that!! Almost stranger than the reptilians he believes in
(and I don't).

Adam Funk

May 7, 2011, 4:04:51 PM5/7/11
On 2011-05-07, Ruud Harmsen wrote:

> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke
>
> Is the pronunciation given here, /AIk/, correct? If so, isn't that
> rather peculiar seeing the spelling <icke>?

Rhyming with "like" & "bike" --- that's how I've heard it on the
pronounced.

--
Oh, I am just a student, sir, and I only want to learn
But it's hard to read through the rising smoke