Transcribe this mp3? Icelandic phoneme?

1 view

Sonja Elen Kisa

Mar 29, 2007, 2:43:04 PM3/29/07
All the books keep telling me that the two phonemes studied in this
mp3 are /E/ and /O/ but I definitely hear a sort of diphthong in both
when they are in the first syllable of a word (i.e. stressed and
long). Maybe /E@/ or /O@/ or /U@/. Am I hallucinating? Please tell me
your opinion. :)

http://www.kisa.ca/icelandic-e-o.mp3

Sonja

phog...@abo.fi

Mar 29, 2007, 3:18:40 PM3/29/07

Sonja Elen Kisa wrote:
> All the books keep telling me that the two phonemes studied in this
> mp3 are /E/ and /O/ but I definitely hear a sort of diphthong in both
> when they are in the first syllable of a word (i.e. stressed and
> long). Maybe /E@/ or /O@/ or /U@/. Am I hallucinating? Please tell me
> your opinion. :)

Certainly not E@, O@. But the o in words such as "kona" does sound a
little like [uo] to my ears, too.

Ruud Harmsen

Mar 29, 2007, 3:42:30 PM3/29/07
29 Mar 2007 11:43:04 -0700: "Sonja Elen Kisa" <son...@gmail.com>: in
sci.lang:

I hear [eE] and [oO]. Perhaps closer together than that. Definitely a
diphthong, whenever it is exactly.
--
Ruud Harmsen - http://rudhar.com

Sonja Elen Kisa

Mar 29, 2007, 5:10:40 PM3/29/07
Maybe /eE/ and /UO/ ...

Brian M. Scott

Mar 29, 2007, 5:44:04 PM3/29/07
On 29 Mar 2007 11:43:04 -0700, Sonja Elen Kisa
<son...@gmail.com> wrote in
in sci.lang:

> http://www.kisa.ca/icelandic-e-o.mp3

They are certainly centralizing diphthongs, but they start
higher than [E] and [O] -- nearly at [e] and [o], I'd say.

Brian

Peter T. Daniels

Mar 29, 2007, 6:22:11 PM3/29/07
On Mar 29, 5:10 pm, "Sonja Elen Kisa" <sonj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe /eE/ and /UO/ ...

Note that you are misusing phonemic brackets. You're trying to say (in
this message) that /E/ is realized as [eE], etc.

Sonja Elen Kisa

Mar 29, 2007, 6:23:24 PM3/29/07

Thanks for the correction, Peter!! <3

Sonja Elen Kisa

Mar 29, 2007, 6:25:31 PM3/29/07
On Mar 29, 6:22 pm, "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:

How would you transcribe these sounds, Peter? Are they indeed [eE] and
[UO] or [oO]? Or maybe something else describes them better?

I can't find any sources on this... :(

Peter T. Daniels

Mar 29, 2007, 6:32:59 PM3/29/07

I wouldn't want to try to do a phonetic transcription of anything that
came through the tiny tinny speaker on this computer! If you can get
Ruud and Brian to agree on anything, it might be a satisfactory
interpretation.

Sonja Elen Kisa

Mar 29, 2007, 6:55:00 PM3/29/07
> I wouldn't want to try to do a phonetic transcription of anything that
> came through the tiny tinny speaker on this computer! If you can get
> Ruud and Brian to agree on anything, it might be a satisfactory
> interpretation.

Thanks Peter.

So I guess the long e is either [eE], [e@] or maybe even something
like [e3]... I'll wait til Ruud and Brian agree on something. Are they
both phoneticians?

Long o could be [oO], [o@], [UO], [U@], [uO] or something like that...

Sonja... working on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_orthography

wugi

Mar 31, 2007, 4:32:28 AM3/31/07
"Brian M. Scott" :

> > Maybe /E@/ or /O@/ or /U@/.

> > http://www.kisa.ca/icelandic-e-o.mp3

> They are certainly centralizing diphthongs, but they start
> higher than [E] and [O] -- nearly at [e] and [o], I'd say.

meetoo-s :-)

and the latter sounds as a thriphthong or whatsit to me, closing and opening
again along an intermediate w-glide.

--
guido
http://home.scarlet.be/~pin12499