Eng. to French: "Submit forms"

1 view

TEST

Feb 9, 2006, 4:17:55 PM2/9/06
Is "submit form" (see below) a fancy term for an electronic form? If not,
does anybody has a suggestion for a French expression? Thanks

It is important to note, though, that more than eight in 10 online
participants - and more than six in 10 of all participants-sent form letters
via submit forms on third-parties' websites.

Thomas Weber

Feb 9, 2006, 7:03:23 PM2/9/06

"TEST" <test4565g...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

It sounds that way to me. Better English would be "submission forms". But
it probably derives from the usual button reading "Submit Form". (The
French button usually says "Valider".) I think you're right and they mean
simply "des formulaires".

Thomas Weber

Jukka K. Korpela

Feb 9, 2006, 7:09:37 PM2/9/06
"TEST" <test4565g...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is "submit form" (see below) a fancy term for an electronic form?

Yes and no. It probably refers to an online form, i.e. to a form on a
web page, to be filled out on screen and submitted to processing
through the net, typically by clicking on a "Submit" button. This is a
narrower concept than "electronic form", which covers e.g. a PDF or
MS Word form, distributed on the WWW or otherwise, to be either printed
out and filled by hand or filled out on screen and printed, then
delivered via mail (or perhaps filled out on screen, then sent by
E-mail).

There's no established term even in English; "submit form" isn't that
common, and "online form" might not mean exactly the same, and "HTML
form" gets too technical.

Then again, the _meaning_ could be something different.

> It is important to note, though, that more than eight in 10 online
> participants - and more than six in 10 of all participants-sent
> form letters via submit forms on third-parties' websites.

This sounds strange. The phrase "form letters" doesn't make much sense
here, and neither does the idea of using a third-party website. I'm
afraid some more context is needed for deciding what this is really
about - I suspect the writer of the text doesn't know what he is
writing about

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

John Woodgate

Feb 10, 2006, 3:28:18 AM2/10/06
In message <YjOGf.9893$lZ2....@wagner.videotron.net>, dated Thu, 9 Feb
2006, TEST <test4565g...@hotmail.com> writes

It's another example of a 'nounjective' - noun used as adjective. I
would say 'via submission forms', which still has a nounjective but I
think it's acceptable, and certainly easier to understand.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immoderately.

John Woodgate

Evertjan.

Feb 10, 2006, 3:43:39 AM2/10/06
John Woodgate wrote on 10 feb 2006 in sci.lang.translation:

> In message <YjOGf.9893$lZ2....@wagner.videotron.net>, dated Thu, 9 Feb
> 2006, TEST <test4565g...@hotmail.com> writes
>>Is "submit form" (see below) a fancy term for an electronic form? If
>>not, does anybody has a suggestion for a French expression? Thanks
>>

>>It is important to note, though, that more than eight in 10 online
>>participants - and more than six in 10 of all participants-sent form
>>letters via submit forms on third-parties' websites.
>>

> It's another example of a 'nounjective' - noun used as adjective. I
> would say 'via submission forms', which still has a nounjective but I
> think it's acceptable, and certainly easier to understand.

"by form submission" ?

a jective-noun substa-verb construct?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

John Woodgate

Feb 10, 2006, 4:07:10 AM2/10/06
In message <Xns976662F6...@194.109.133.242>, dated Fri, 10 Feb
2006, Evertjan. <exjxw.ha...@interxnl.net> writes

>"by form submission" ?
>
>a jective-noun substa-verb construct?

Well, it's English, but, in spite of being such a short phrase, it's
actually very formal, and the pun was not intended, honest!

Lanarcam

Feb 10, 2006, 5:58:37 AM2/10/06

On electronic forms you generally find a button labeled "Submit" or
"Submit form". This could be an interesting case where the form
is given the name of the button used to send it.

TEST

Feb 13, 2006, 1:56:04 PM2/13/06
Ok, many thanks to all

"Lanarcam" <lana...@yahoo.fr> a écrit dans le message de news: