drafts, bills and securities meaning?

Francisco García

Mar 26, 2002, 9:25:52 PM3/26/02
"An image processing apparatus having a function to determine whether
inputted image data is for a specific draft inhibited to be copied such
as bills and securities" (Probably from a Japanese patent).

The processing apparatus is a copying machine with a system to avoid
illegal copies.
What does "draft" refer to here?
Is "bill" a banknote or a "bill of exchange"?
According to the sentence, "bills" and "securities" are included as
some kind of "draft"...Can someone enlighten me? :)
Does someone know "draft" translation into Spanish in this case?

Thanks,

frangs

Francisco García

Mar 26, 2002, 9:56:28 PM3/26/02
"Francisco García" <fra...@menta.net> wrote in message

> "An image processing apparatus having a function to determine whether
> inputted image data is for a specific draft inhibited to be copied such
> as bills and securities" (Probably from a Japanese patent).
>
> The processing apparatus is a copying machine with a system to avoid
> illegal copies.
> What does "draft" refer to here?
> Is "bill" a banknote or a "bill of exchange"?
> According to the sentence, "bills" and "securities" are included as
> some kind of "draft"...Can someone enlighten me? :)
> Does someone know "draft" translation into Spanish in this case?

¿¿ Podría ser: - draft(s): efectos
- bills: letras de cambio
- securities: valores ??
¿Se pueden considerar las letras de cambio y los valores como efectos?

Steve M -move the dotcom to the end-

Mar 27, 2002, 1:10:55 AM3/27/02
On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 02:25:52 +0000 (UTC), "Francisco García"
<fra...@menta.net> wrote:

>"An image processing apparatus having a function to determine whether
>inputted image data is for a specific draft inhibited to be copied such
>as bills and securities" (Probably from a Japanese patent).
>
>The processing apparatus is a copying machine with a system to avoid
>illegal copies.
>What does "draft" refer to here?

Actually, I have read about this technology before. I don't think
"draft" is the correct word in English. "negotiable instrument" might
be more what they mean..

Literally, draft = bank draft = "letra de cambio" or "giro"

>Is "bill" a banknote or a "bill of exchange"?

I believe here it means bank note, "billete"

>According to the sentence, "bills" and "securities" are included as
>some kind of "draft"...Can someone enlighten me? :)
>Does someone know "draft" translation into Spanish in this case?

securities = "valores"

In any case, you need a word in Spanish that includes both bank notes
(currency) and securities such as stocks, bonds, drafts, etc.

How about "documento negociable"?

Steven

Rolf Keller

Mar 27, 2002, 5:16:09 AM3/27/02
> What does "draft" refer to here?

Just read it as "original document, which (or part of which)
contains a specific image pattern (or image content)" or s.th.
like that.

> Is "bill" a banknote or a "bill of exchange"?

It means banknote here. From the view of a "normal" criminal it
is rather useless to copy a bill of exchange, because there is
only one genuine specimen.

--
Rolf (remove '77' from mail address)

Toby OCM

Mar 27, 2002, 5:18:40 AM3/27/02

"Rolf Keller" <rokel...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> > What does "draft" refer to here?
>
> Just read it as "original document, which (or part of which)
> contains a specific image pattern (or image content)" or s.th.
> like that.

I'd be inclined agree. the problem is that the English of the original is
not correct ("inhibited to be copied" presumably means "which may not be
copied"), and so one has to guess at exactly what is meant by 'draft',
rather than going with strict dictionary definitions.

--
Regards,

Toby

----
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realise they were
the big things

---

Francisco García

Mar 27, 2002, 6:32:36 AM3/27/02
"Rolf Keller" <rokel...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> > What does "draft" refer to here?

> Just read it as "original document, which (or part of which)
> contains a specific image pattern (or image content)" or s.th.
> like that.

Thanks for reply Rolf.
So, can "draft" be used as a synonim of picture, drawing or
something similar? My doubt comes from the author classifying a bank
note
as a draft...

frangs
(Sorry for mistakes in my English)

> > Is "bill" a banknote or a "bill of exchange"?
>
> It means banknote here. From the view of a "normal" criminal it
> is rather useless to copy a bill of exchange, because there is
> only one genuine specimen.
>
> --
> Rolf (remove '77' from mail address)

Rolf Keller

Mar 27, 2002, 8:22:21 AM3/27/02
> So, can "draft" be used as a synonim of picture,
> drawing or something similar?

The original writer seems to believe that. IMO "draft" is wrong
usage here.

> My doubt comes from the author classifying
> a bank note as a draft.

I don't think the author meant precisely that. IMO he meant the
following: A copier can't see the physical thing (the author
calls this unknown thing a "draft", I'll call it "a thing" in the
following) you've put onto the glass. Instead the copier sees an
image only. If this image contains a visible pattern that matches
to a certain pattern (some of such patterns are factory-stored
into the
copier) a real banknote would produce, then that thing seems to
be a
banknote, so the copier refuses to copy it. In other words, the
copier does not reject banknotes, but things that seem to be
banknotes (or securities etc). Because of this tiny but important
difference the author looked for a word for what I call "thing"
and - unfortunately <g> - found "draft" in his or her dictionary.

I don't see any other possibility, anyway. Additionally, high-end
copiers often have this feature.

Probably the patent describes an intelligent method to discern a
huge manifold of banknotes etc. by extracting certain general
properties out of an image. So, the term "pattern" I used, might
have to be interpreted more generally. E. g. there are algorithms
to discern "forbidden" nude photos in the Web. In this case, a
simple pattern comparison is obviously impossible because the
original picture is not availlable.

Toby OCM

Mar 27, 2002, 8:29:52 AM3/27/02

> > So, can "draft" be used as a synonim of picture,
> > drawing or something similar?
>
> The original writer seems to believe that. IMO "draft" is wrong
> usage here.
>
> > My doubt comes from the author classifying
> > a bank note as a draft.
>
> I don't think the author meant precisely that. IMO he meant the
> following: A copier can't see the physical thing (the author
> calls this unknown thing a "draft", I'll call it "a thing" in the
> following) you've put onto the glass. Instead the copier sees an
> image only. If this image contains a visible pattern that matches
> to a certain pattern (some of such patterns are factory-stored
> into the
> copier) a real banknote would produce, then that thing seems to
> be a
> banknote, so the copier refuses to copy it. In other words, the
> copier does not reject banknotes, but things that seem to be
> banknotes (or securities etc). Because of this tiny but important
> difference the author looked for a word for what I call "thing"
> and - unfortunately <g> - found "draft" in his or her dictionary.
>
> I don't see any other possibility, anyway. Additionally, high-end
> copiers often have this feature.

I agree completely with this.

Mary Cassidy

Mar 27, 2002, 8:44:50 AM3/27/02
Toby OCM wrote:

> I agree completely with this.

Me too.

If the patent's already been filed, try searching for it at
http://ep.espacenet.com/espacenet/ep/en/level1.htm, which may give you
some more clues, as it's obviously written in very poor English.

This search page includes Japanese patents.

Mary

Ron Clarey

Mar 27, 2002, 8:50:28 AM3/27/02
In message <8c639f74d87be9c4176...@mygate.mailgate.org>,
Francisco García <fra...@menta.net> writes

I think draft in this sense means a piece of paper to be copied. If it
is a special photocopier it has the ability to recognise special forms
E.G. bills and securities and NOT copy them. Ordinary forms can be
copied.

The other option that springs to mind is that a computer could be used
to input data to pay Joe Bloggs $.xxxxx on to any document but that the
machine is smart enough not to allow it to use bills or securities with
out `proper authorisation.
--
Ron Clarey
Translaters.net

John Woodgate

Mar 27, 2002, 10:14:27 AM3/27/02
I read in sci.lang.translation that Francisco García <fra...@menta.net>
wrote (in <16d6069c5cdad11812c...@mygate.mailgate.org>)
about 'drafts, bills and securities meaning?', on Wed, 27 Mar 2002:

>Thanks for reply Rolf.
>So, can "draft" be used as a synonim of picture, drawing or
>something similar? My doubt comes from the author classifying a bank
>note
>as a draft...

Two different meanings of the word 'draft' which is from the same root
as 'draw'. You can draw a picture, but you can also draw money from the
bank. A locomotive can draw goods wagons, and a car can draw a caravan.
A recovery vehicle can draw a truck from a bank!

But a bank-note (money) isn't a draft. A bank draft is something like a
cheque: it is a way of transferring money from your account to mine.
(;-)
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!

Steve M -move the dotcom to the end-

Mar 27, 2002, 10:52:55 AM3/27/02
On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:22:21 +0100, "Rolf Keller"
<rokel...@compuserve.com> wrote:

>banknote, so the copier refuses to copy it. In other words, the
>copier does not reject banknotes, but things that seem to be
>banknotes (or securities etc). Because of this tiny but important
>difference the author looked for a word for what I call "thing"
>and - unfortunately <g> - found "draft" in his or her dictionary.
>
>I don't see any other possibility, anyway. Additionally, high-end
>copiers often have this feature.

I would swear that I have read about this feature, but I spend about
20 minutes on a web search and could not find a *thing* about it.

<imagination-wild>
It's as if there is a conspiracy not to talk about it. As if "they"
want to catch people doing this. So maybe the high-end color copiers
have been modified with modems and if somebody tries to copy a
suspicious "security" then the machine notifies the FBI, or Secret
Service.
<\imagination-wild>

I'm exaggerating here, but it was odd that I could find no reference
to this feature. Can anyone point me to a web page that describes
such a copier?

Steven

Toby OCM

Mar 27, 2002, 12:53:37 PM3/27/02

"John Woodgate" <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> I read in sci.lang.translation that Francisco García <fra...@menta.net>
> wrote (in <16d6069c5cdad11812c...@mygate.mailgate.org>)
> about 'drafts, bills and securities meaning?', on Wed, 27 Mar 2002:
> >Thanks for reply Rolf.
> >So, can "draft" be used as a synonim of picture, drawing or
> >something similar? My doubt comes from the author classifying a bank
> >note
> >as a draft...

> But a bank-note (money) isn't a draft. A bank draft is something like a

> cheque: it is a way of transferring money from your account to mine.

But are you taking account of the nature of the original translation and the
whole sentence? I suspect - like Rolf - that someone has translated some
word that means 'design', say, and has chosen the wrong translation (i.e.
'draft') from the dictionary. This is a mistake that could be made
translating from Dutch - 'ontwerp' means both 'draft' (as is preliminary
version) and 'design'.

I suspect from the context that 'draft' should be read as 'design' or
something of that sort.

Rolf Keller

Mar 27, 2002, 12:32:22 PM3/27/02
> I would swear that I have read about this feature, but I spend
about
> 20 minutes on a web search and could not find a *thing* about
it.

A Google search for "copier" AND "banknote" yields about 400
hits. Most of these refer to copy-protected banknotes. But some
refer to copiers (e. g. Xerox).

Steve M -move the dotcom to the end-

Mar 28, 2002, 5:11:08 AM3/28/02
On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:32:22 +0100, "Rolf Keller"
<rokel...@compuserve.com> wrote:

>> I would swear that I have read about this feature, but I spend
>about
>> 20 minutes on a web search and could not find a *thing* about
>it.
>
>A Google search for "copier" AND "banknote" yields about 400
>hits. Most of these refer to copy-protected banknotes. But some
>refer to copiers (e. g. Xerox).

I tried photocopy +counterfeit +securities and multiple variations.
Didn't think to look for "banknote"

Googling is still an art and not a science.

Thank you very much.

Steven
Steven Marzuola
spamtr...@houston.rr (move the ".com" to the end)
Spanish - English technical translation
http://www.geocities.com/marzolian/Translation.html

Rolf Keller

Mar 28, 2002, 10:57:35 AM3/28/02
> Googling is still an art and not a science.

Real science **is** an art.

Francisco García

Mar 31, 2002, 4:24:24 PM3/31/02
"Rolf Keller" <rokel...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> > So, can "draft" be used as a synonim of picture,
> > drawing or something similar?
>
> The original writer seems to believe that. IMO "draft" is wrong
> usage here.

Thanks, I finally translated "draft" as patrón ("pattern"). It is quite
generic and can include a drawing, text or any code for preventing
the note to be duplicated.

Regards,

frangs