Google grupe više ne podržavaju nove postove ni pretplate na Usenetu. Stari sadržaj ostaje vidljiv.

Need help with titles

0 prikaza
Preskoči na prvu nepročitanu poruku

Ghost Rider

nepročitano,
16. tra 2004. 06:25:2816. 04. 2004.
Hi.
What does it mean?
- "Saville Row To The Rescue"
- "Red Nick's Colonel"
- "The Flight Of Fancy"

That are titles for 3 of Allo Allo episodes and I don't know how to
translate it. Please, help.
greetz

--
duchU
GG# 1363605

Tsu Dho Nimh

nepročitano,
16. tra 2004. 07:58:0716. 04. 2004.
"Ghost Rider" <Ghost...@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

>Hi.
>What does it mean?
>- "Saville Row To The Rescue"

"Savile Row" is a reference to a street in London where excellent
tailors for expensive men's clothing are found. Did clothing
take a part in the plot? (maybe the knickers with the
swastikas?)

>- "Red Nick's Colonel"

"Red Nick" would be someone's name, and Colonel is a militaty
officer.

>- "The Flight Of Fancy"

A "flight of fancy" is a wildly imaginative wish or daydream.
Was this the balloon escape?

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or

Owain

nepročitano,
16. tra 2004. 09:24:2416. 04. 2004.
"Ghost Rider" wrote .

| What does it mean?
| - "Saville Row To The Rescue"

It's nothing to do with rowing a boat :-)

Savile Row (it is widely misspelled) in London is the traditional home of
fine gentlemen's tailoring:

The street name, Savile Row, can be traced back several hundred years and
comes from Lady Dorothy Savile, the wife of the 3rd Earl of Burlington.
London's Savile Row is a name that conjures up images of elegance,
tradition, old world charm and sophistication. Since the very first bespoke
tailor moved into Savile Row back in 1785, the area has been renowned
world-wide as 'the place' for tailoring.
http://www.manning-and-manning.com/history_of_savile_row.htm

The Colonel & the Captain and Herr Flick are all disguised as onion
sellers while the German uniforms are being remade by the Jewish tailors of
London.
http://www.coldcut.com/video/aa/series1-4.html#1.3

| - "Red Nick's Colonel"

This is "Reds Nick Colonel".

It is Colonel Von Strohm's birthday, and Rene is hosting a party for him.
The airmen have moved indoors and are hiding under the kitchen table, with
their heads under serving covers. But as they are celebrating, the Colonel
and the Captain are kidnapped by the Communist Resistance [the 'Reds'] in
retaliation for having killed Rene.
http://www.coldcut.com/video/aa/series1-4.html#1.6

('to nick' being used as a synonym for steal/kidnap/arrest here)

| - "The Flight Of Fancy"

flight n. [6] passing above and beyond ordinary bounds; "a flight of
fancy"; "flights of rhetoric"; "flights of imagination"
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=flight

Roget's Thesaurus: imagination - conception, Vorstellung[Ger],
excogitation[obs3], "a fine frenzy"; cloudland[obs3], dreamland; flight of
fancy, fumes of fancy; "thick coming fancies" [Macbeth]; creation of the
brain, coinage of the brain; imagery.
http://poets.notredame.ac.jp/Roget/515.html

There is an aeroplane in this episode:

Michelle arrives to tell Rene that the antique airplane is unfortunately
in the back of the museum, so to get it out they will hold a parade of
antiques while the gang from the Cafe sneaks in and recovers the plane.
http://www.coldcut.com/video/aa/series1-4.html#3.4

Owain

Ghost Rider

nepročitano,
16. tra 2004. 09:59:2716. 04. 2004.
Well, that is an EXPLAINATION hehe. Thx very much to u and also to Tsu.
Are u maybe a fan of Allo Allo (I think u are if u gave me that
explaination). I trying to make polish subtitels for this series (there is
no subs with DVD edition). I can understand most of things but not
everything. If u are in fact 'Allo Allo' fan and u have it on DVD or VHS
and if u could help me with some things I cannot deal with I would be very
greatful.

Laurence Koster

nepročitano,
16. tra 2004. 10:44:4916. 04. 2004.
"Ghost Rider" <Ghost...@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:<c5oca1$i95$1...@news.onet.pl>...

> Hi.
> What does it mean?
> - "Saville Row To The Rescue"
> - "Red Nick's Colonel"
> - "The Flight Of Fancy"
>
> That are titles for 3 of Allo Allo episodes and I don't know how to
> translate it. Please, help.
> greetz

I haven't seen the episode, but Saville Row is a famous London street
"lined with up-market tailors and gentlemen's outfitters offering hand
stitched, made to measure, luxury suiting" - so this could be
something to do with a tailor coming to the rescue.

Laurence

Laurence Koster

nepročitano,
16. tra 2004. 11:07:1616. 04. 2004.
"Ghost Rider" <Ghost...@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:<c5oca1$i95$1...@news.onet.pl>...
> Hi.
> What does it mean?
> - "Saville Row To The Rescue"
> - "Red Nick's Colonel"
> - "The Flight Of Fancy"
>
> That are titles for 3 of Allo Allo episodes and I don't know how to
> translate it. Please, help.
> greetz

"Saville Row To The Rescue" (I just read at
http://www.phill.co.uk/comedy/allo/guide.html) is an episode in which
Colonel Von Strohm and Captain Geering go with Rene to meet a plane
from London which is supposed to be bringing their replacement
uniforms. The plane is actually only carrying a tailor, who's come to
give the two German officers a fitting.

Laurence

Laurence Koster

nepročitano,
16. tra 2004. 11:11:1316. 04. 2004.
"Ghost Rider" <Ghost...@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:<c5oca1$i95$1...@news.onet.pl>...
> Hi.
> What does it mean?
> - "Saville Row To The Rescue"
> - "Red Nick's Colonel"
> - "The Flight Of Fancy"
>
> That are titles for 3 of Allo Allo episodes and I don't know how to
> translate it. Please, help.
> greetz

"Reds Nick Colonel" means "Communists kidnap the colonel"

Laurence

Owain

nepročitano,
16. tra 2004. 15:55:2016. 04. 2004.
"Ghost Rider" wrote

| Well, that is an EXPLAINATION hehe. Thx very much to u and also to Tsu.
| Are u maybe a fan of Allo Allo (I think u are if u gave me that
| explaination).

I saw most, if not all, the episodes when they were first shown on British
TV, but I wouldn't waste my money buying them on DVD - I'd prefer Dad's
Army.

Most of the answers were fairly obvious once Googled, to anyone British who
has ever seen the programme, so any further questions, ask away. Are you
working from script/English subtitle or speech?

Owain

Ghost Rider

nepročitano,
17. tra 2004. 03:46:3917. 04. 2004.

> I saw most, if not all, the episodes when they were first shown on
British
> TV, but I wouldn't waste my money buying them on DVD - I'd prefer Dad's
> Army.

Well, I haven't seen "Dad's Army" but in my opinion "'All 'Allo!" is the
best sitcom ever. I saw it twice on TV. It was playing a long time ago in
my country but many dialogs are unforgettable - like 'You stupid women',
'It is I, Leclerc', 'Listen very carefuly, because I shall say it only
once' or 'Good Moaning'.

> Most of the answers were fairly obvious once Googled, to anyone British
who
> has ever seen the programme, so any further questions, ask away. Are you
> working from script/English subtitle or speech?

That's the problem. I cannot find anywhere script for any episode, also
there is no english subtitle. And working from speech is much harder, so I
cannot understand everything. Maybe you know someone who has it on DVD and
who culd help me?
greetz

> Owain

Laurence Koster

nepročitano,
17. tra 2004. 10:05:1217. 04. 2004.
"Owain" <owain...@stirlingcity.co.uk> wrote in message news:<108212239...@iris.uk.clara.net>...

Yes, you're right, "Savile Row" is the correct spelling (I just
checked at streetmap.co.uk). I think the episode titles appear on the
screen at the beginning - was it spelt incorrectly there? I did a
search for the title as a phrase and got one hit with the correct
spelling and 62 hits for the wrong spelling.

Laurence

Laurence

Owain

nepročitano,
17. tra 2004. 10:16:1517. 04. 2004.
"Ghost Rider" wrote

| Well, I haven't seen "Dad's Army" but in my opinion "'All 'Allo!"
| is the best sitcom ever. I saw it twice on TV. It was playing a
| long time ago in my country but many dialogs are unforgettable -
| like 'You stupid women', 'It is I, Leclerc', 'Listen very carefuly,
| because I shall say it only once' or 'Good Moaning'.

Yes, but they're very predictable. Dad's Army is rather more subtle
(sometimes).

| > Are you working from script/English subtitle or speech?
| That's the problem. I cannot find anywhere script for any episode,
| also there is no english subtitle. And working from speech is much
| harder, so I cannot understand everything. Maybe you know someone
| who has it on DVD and who culd help me?

I don't. The scripts appear to be unavailable but there are "'Allo 'Allo -
The War Diaries of Rene Artois" which are a novelised form of the
programmes. As it's not a script it may not be as helpful as you would like.
They're on Amazon.

There's a good character list and episode guide (although the titles may be
wrong) at:
http://www.coldcut.com/video/alloallo.txt
and other material at
http://www.coldcut.com/video/aa/index.html

The DVDs are listed as out of stock on www.bbcshop.com but they are listed
on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000067A8U/

They are also listed on Universal's website:
http://www.universal-playback.com/series.asp?series=42

I would expect the DVDs to be subtitled in English, although neigher site
explicitly says so. You might try asking on alt.comedy.british as someone
there will probably have bought them.

Owain

Ghost Rider

nepročitano,