Albanian words for eyebrow

Alan Crozier

May 3, 2006, 2:11:01 AM5/3/06
Has anybody got a big Albanian dictionary handy to check the claim that the language has 27
different words for eyebrow?

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/features/article315207.ece

Alan

--
Alan Crozier
Lund

Bettina Price

May 3, 2006, 4:22:27 AM5/3/06
Alan Crozier wrote:
> Has anybody got a big Albanian dictionary handy to check the claim
> that the language has 27 different words for eyebrow?
>
> http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/features/article315207.ece

No, but it makes me wonder whether eyebrows are the new snow.

Bettina

Alan Crozier

May 3, 2006, 4:42:07 AM5/3/06
"Bettina Price" <bettina...@pappnase.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

They are, and every bit as apocryphal, I suspect.

James Lee

May 3, 2006, 9:28:05 AM5/3/06

"Bettina Price" <bettina...@pappnase.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Only if you have really bad dandruff.
James Lee

John Woodgate

May 3, 2006, 10:05:37 AM5/3/06
In message <83f41$4458afe0$5393c0a1$20...@nf1.news-service.com>, dated
Wed, 3 May 2006, James Lee <nos...@daag.nl> writes

A man with white hair but still dark eyebrows can look quite panda-esque
(in a negative sense).
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

James Lee

May 3, 2006, 11:26:36 AM5/3/06

"John Woodgate" <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Yes, a real Darling ...
James Lee

Besiani

May 3, 2006, 5:08:33 PM5/3/06
No, Albanian hasn't 27 different words for "eyebrow", but it has maybe
the big number of compounds, where first member is <vetull>, as has
much more compounds with "eye" (see my post in sci.lang) and all these
compounds, to my view, are connected with conceptual system, i.e. with
the faith in <evil eye>, common for Illyrian and Albanian. These
copound are mostly of the type bahuvri:hi, in which one element
modifies or restricts the other and the whole denotes an entity of an
unexpressed semantic head (Trask, DHCL, pp. 37).

Lets see some of theme:

1. vetull·bardhë '(person) with light-colored eyebrows;
2. vetulla·rënë/vetull·ngrysur 'having drooping eyebrows'
3. vetulla·sorrë 'raven-browed';
4. vetull·fiskajë 'having thin (sprig-like) eyebrows;
5. vetull·gajtan 'having long delicately eyebrows';
6. vetull·gjilpërë 'having needle-thin eyebrows';
7. vetull·hequr 'having plucked eyebrows';
8. vetull·hënë 'having arched eyebrows like the crescent moon';
9. vetull·hollë '(person) with a thin eyebrows';
10. vetull·kalem '(person) with beautiful pencil-thin eyebrows';
11. vetull·kalesh '(person) with dark thick eyebrows';
12. vetull·kurorë 'having eyebrows arched like a wreath';
13. vetull·ngritur/vetull·çuar 'having high arched eyebrows';
14. vetull·përpjekur 'having eyebrows that join together';
15. vetull·rreptë/vetull·rrudhur 'having knitted eyebrows'
16. vetull·shkruar 'having beautiful eyebrows';
17. vetull·vërenjtur 'having frowing eyebrows' and
18. vetull·zi 'with very dark eyebrows'.

I hope that they are enough.

Albert Gomperts

May 3, 2006, 8:45:24 PM5/3/06

"Besiani" <akonu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I am delighted that the Albanian for unabrow is "vetull·përpjekur"
Talking of snow (liked that by the way Bettina) what's the Albanian for
someone with dandruff in his/her eyebrows?
Or for that matter eyebrows that look like hairy caterpillars. Or this being
Albania, eyebrows that join up with the tips of the mustache. Sorry any
Albanian males out there who are not pimps, thieves, etc.
--
Albert Gomperts
Vertaalbureau Van Lokeren

Your language is our business

Remove "goaway" from email address to reply

Edward Hennessey

May 3, 2006, 9:11:42 PM5/3/06

"Albert Gomperts" <albert.van...@skynet.be> wrote in
message news:44594eca$0$1167$ba62...@news.skynet.be...

Umm...Samuel·vetull·Gompers of course.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Alan Crozier

May 4, 2006, 2:24:40 AM5/4/06
"Besiani" <akonu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks

Edward Hennessey

May 5, 2006, 3:06:16 PM5/5/06

"Edward Hennessey" <replyaddr...@there.com> wrote in
message

Albert:

Well, my plan was to find a way of introducing the name of your
illustrious kinsman Samuel Gompers, hero of American
labor and king of the cow-catcher moustache (q.v.
http://www.etsu.edu/cas/history/resources/Private/Faculty/Fac_Fro
m1877ChapterDoc/ChapterImages/Ch18SamuelGompers.jpg
), into some post and this seemed the best opportunity for that
slim chance.

Actually, I was awaiting a baffled inquiry on the topic which
would have allowed revelation of the intentional gambit and
admission that the real prodigy of eyebrows was another American
labor leader, John L. Lewis, (q.v.
http://www.libreriauniversitaria.it/data2/images/BUS/300/287/0252
012879.jpg )
whose image testifies to that sentiment. I know that the boxing
promoter Don King calls his hairdo "Northern Lights"
but it always seemed that J.L.L.'s eyebrows had de facto
claim by precedence to that designation.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Ekkehard Dengler

May 5, 2006, 4:53:29 PM5/5/06

Albert Gomperts schrieb:

> I am delighted that the Albanian for unabrow is "vetull·përpjekur"
> Talking of snow (liked that by the way Bettina) what's the Albanian for
> someone with dandruff in his/her eyebrows?
> Or for that matter eyebrows that look like hairy caterpillars. Or this
being
> Albania, eyebrows that join up with the tips of the mustache. Sorry any
> Albanian males out there who are not pimps, thieves, etc.

Hi Albert,

I'm a bit puzzled by your final sentence.

Regards,
Ekkehard

John Woodgate

May 5, 2006, 5:39:50 PM5/5/06
In message <e3ge0a$mu1$01$1...@news.t-online.com>, dated Fri, 5 May 2006,
Ekkehard Dengler <ED...@t-online.de> writes

>I'm a bit puzzled by your final sentence.

Albanian expatriates tended traditionally to be those who 'leave their
country for their country's good'[1]. Except Mother Teresa, of course,
although....

Like the RC priest who was responsible for Knock airport, she was not
above using 'interesting' methods to fulfil eleëmosynary ambitions.

[1] In case that allusion is too obscure, it refers to R. Kipling's view
of some moderately successful British colonial administrators, whose
methods would not have been acceptable back home.

Ekkehard Dengler

May 6, 2006, 8:40:51 AM5/6/06

John Woodgate schrieb:

> In message <e3ge0a$mu1$01$1...@news.t-online.com>, dated Fri, 5 May 2006,
> Ekkehard Dengler <ED...@t-online.de> writes
>
> >I'm a bit puzzled by your final sentence.
>
> Albanian expatriates tended traditionally to be those who 'leave their
> country for their country's good'[1]. Except Mother Teresa, of course,
> although....
>
> Like the RC priest who was responsible for Knock airport, she was not
> above using 'interesting' methods to fulfil eleëmosynary ambitions.

John,

I really hate to say it but unless I misunderstand your comment and
Albert's, I think they're unfunny and surprisingly offensive. While
perpetuating national stereotypes is generally a bad idea, it seems
particularly paradoxical in the context of translation. Finally, you don't
have to be an expatriate to participate in newsgroups.

Regards,
Ekkehard

John Woodgate

May 6, 2006, 10:38:20 AM5/6/06
In message <e3i5gj$e97$01$1...@news.t-online.com>, dated Sat, 6 May 2006,
Ekkehard Dengler <ED...@t-online.de> writes

>I really hate to say it but unless I misunderstand your comment and

>Albert's, I think they're unfunny and surprisingly offensive. While
>perpetuating national stereotypes is generally a bad idea, it seems
>particularly paradoxical in the context of translation. Finally, you
>don't have to be an expatriate to participate in newsgroups.

I'm sorry if my words gave offence. The word 'traditionally' there is
really rather definite in disclaiming the statement as a personal
opinion. I was merely intent on explaining Albert's statement,
dispassionately and in the interests of wider understanding.

Ekkehard Dengler

May 6, 2006, 11:23:57 AM5/6/06

John Woodgate schrieb:

> In message <e3i5gj$e97$01$1...@news.t-online.com>, dated Sat, 6 May 2006,
> Ekkehard Dengler <ED...@t-online.de> writes
>
> >I really hate to say it but unless I misunderstand your comment and
> >Albert's, I think they're unfunny and surprisingly offensive. While
> >perpetuating national stereotypes is generally a bad idea, it seems
> >particularly paradoxical in the context of translation. Finally, you
> >don't have to be an expatriate to participate in newsgroups.
>
> I'm sorry if my words gave offence. The word 'traditionally' there is
> really rather definite in disclaiming the statement as a personal
> opinion. I was merely intent on explaining Albert's statement,
> dispassionately and in the interests of wider understanding.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were talking about an Albanian
tradition rather than a traditional stereotype, which wouldn't have been
like you at all.

Regards,
Ekkehard

John Woodgate

May 6, 2006, 11:43:04 AM5/6/06
In message <e3if2d$cj5$02$1...@news.t-online.com>, dated Sat, 6 May 2006,
Ekkehard Dengler <ED...@t-online.de> writes

>a traditional stereotype, which wouldn't have been like you at all.

On the contrary, I seem to be the traditional stereotype of the
blundering Englishman. (;-)

Anyway, thanks for your understanding.

Nick Worley

May 9, 2006, 7:55:02 PM5/9/06
"Alan Crozier" <name1...@telia.com> wrote in message

LOL, reminds me of Ricky Gervais's live stand-up show "Animals" where he
reckons that zoologists who claim to have discovered another species of bat
are just being picky in the hope of extra funding.
Ricky holds up his hand (as if he's holding a new species of bat), points at
it in a tentative way and goes: "Look, podgy bat".

Nick Worley

May 9, 2006, 8:04:26 PM5/9/06
"Nick Worley" <ger...@hamster.com> wrote in message
> [snip]

> LOL, reminds me of Ricky Gervais's live stand-up show "Animals" where he
> reckons that zoologists who claim to have discovered another species of
> bat
> are just being picky in the hope of extra funding.
> Ricky holds up his hand (as if he's holding a new species of bat), points
> at
> it in a tentative way and goes: "Look, podgy bat".

BTW in the north-west of England, we have loads of different words for
"rain":
- light rain (rare)
- heavy rain
- intermittent rain (rare)
- constant rain
- warm rain (rare)
- cold rain
- freezing rain
- driving rain
- horizontal rain
- fucking rain
- more fucking rain
- when's this fucking rain going to end
- etc, etc, etc

Nigel Greenwood

May 10, 2006, 5:15:14 AM5/10/06

Nick Worley wrote:

> BTW in the north-west of England, we have loads of different words for
> "rain":
> - light rain (rare)
> - heavy rain

<...>

BTW Isn't it true that English has 17 and a half words for different
ways of throwing a cricket ball?

Nigel

--
ScriptMaster language resources (Chinese/Modern & Classical
Greek/IPA/Persian/Russian/Turkish):

Edward Hennessey

May 11, 2006, 9:39:39 PM5/11/06

"Nick Worley" <ger...@hamster.com> wrote in message

N:

My Chilean compadre Jorge and I think you might want to visit
Copiapo, where it is always summerland and the driest place on
the planet excluding Antarctica.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Nick Worley

May 17, 2006, 5:24:54 AM5/17/06

> My Chilean compadre Jorge and I think you might want to visit
> Copiapo, where it is always summerland and the driest place on
> the planet excluding Antarctica.

Only 12 mm of rain a year, acc to Wikipedia -- sounds perfect!