1. Thurs.23.AUG.2012 -- Diagnosing Selection of Subjects
for Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE), probably the first point
of departure must be inserting a diagnostic "alert" message to
let us know how the NounPhrase module is selecting the subject
for a sentence of thought in Russian. No matter how a subject
is chosen, we want the verblock mechanism to force the
retrieval of a particular verb from the so-called IdeaPlex.
Our first major problem after some human input is that
NounPhrase selects as most activated a potential subject
of "tebya" with a carried-over, spurious "verblock" that
does not even lead to a verb, but rather to "tebya" itself.
We have probably solved this problem already in the English JSAI.
By searching downwards for "tqv" (the source of "verblock")
simultaneously in the Russian JSAI and the English JSAI,
we discover that in the English JSAI on 15aug2012 we
inserted into InStantiate a line of code to prevent spurious
carry-overs of the "tqv" value when "seq" is at zero.
Now we insert the same code into the Russian JSAI.
Running the AI, we do not get an improvement. Then at
the start of WhoBe we also put a zeroing out of "tqv"
taken from the English JSAI. Still there is no improvement.
In the Russian AI, we then intoduce into WhatBe the same
tqv-zeroing as was done in the English JSAI. Again there is
2. Fri.24.AUG.2012 -- Affecting Activation of Subjects
It may be necessary to implement code that will switch
from an oblique case of an activated concept and find
nominative nodes to serve as the subjects of incipient thoughts.
If a direct object is left activated at the end of a sentence,
all the nodes of that concept should receive a blanket activation
through OldConcept or NounAct. Then NounPhrase may choose
nominative nodes as candidates for the subject of a sentence.
(Maybe we should make nominative nodes receive a higher activation.)
So the process of having a residually activated concept switch
from being a direct object in an old thought to being a subject
in a new thought should work by whatever mechanism puts a
blanket activation on all the nodes of a concept.
3. Tues.28.AUG.2012 -- Finding "verblock" Verb-forms
We need to put in some diagnostic messages and see what
residual activation occurs for a direct object.
Today in the VerbPhrase module we are building up some code
which, in the presence of a positive verblock, will still go to the
"verblock" time-point in the Ru-array but will not automatically
accept the verb-form originally deposited there, typically during
human input. Instead, the new code conducts a search of the
ruLexicon to find a verb-form with the correct number and person.
Initially we forgot to search for the concept-number, so we
accidentally got the correct ending but on the wrong verb.
4. Wed.29.AUG.2012 -- VerbGen Returns Inveniend Verb-stem
Yesterday we made some major progress in getting the RuAi to
search for correct Russian verb forms, but the new code was
not yet perfect, so today we need to make improvements.
However, we should probably save and archive yesterday's
version so that we can recover from any unforeseen errors.
Now there is a problem because the new, integrated search-code
is finding the correct archival verb-form, if it is available, but the
is appearing in duplicate. Apparently the rest of the VerbPhrase
code is finding a "vphraud" recall-vector all over again. We should
be able to thwart that phenomenon.
As we start to prepare some documentation of the AudBuffer,
OutBuffer and VerbGen modules, we notice that our Russian
AI code needs to make use of pertinent variables such as
the "gencon" status flag and the "audbase" recall-vector to
identify the verb whose inflectional ending must be changed.
As soon as we use "audbase" in our code, the Russian AI
stops switching to a different verb and at least outputs the stem
of the verb that we are trying to change. Since we have also
set the "gencon" flag, VerbPhrase calls VerbGen but does
not make its normal main call to SpeechAct, so we do not
get an extra verb-form as output.
5. Thurs.30.AUG.2012 -- VerbGen Needs "dba" Parameter
Yesterday VerbGen was returning only the stem of an inveniend verb
and not the inflected personal ending. However, delivering the stem
was a major improvement in the Russian AI functionality. Today we
found that we needed only to set the "dba" parameter properly
before calling VerbGen, and the Russian AI was able to provide
a correct form of the required verb.