How to use quotation marks in Hepburn-romanized Japanese?

Juhapekka Tolvanen

Dec 2, 2007, 7:37:03 AM12/2/07

Is this correct way to do it?:

http://iki.fi/juhtolv/quote.html

As you can see, every language has its own rules for using quotation
marks, even Japanese. But those rules for Japanese are for normal
Japanese writing, not roomaji.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"eiga wo miyou kimi no yakusoku dohri te wo tsunai de. yoru ni wa owakare

Phil

Dec 3, 2007, 4:57:37 PM12/3/07
On Dec 2, 7:37 am, Juhapekka Tolvanen

<SNAFU.juht...@iki.fi.FUBAR.invalid> wrote:
> Is this correct way to do it?:
>
> http://iki.fi/juhtolv/quote.html
>
> As you can see, every language has its own rules for using quotation
> marks, even Japanese. But those rules for Japanese are for normal
> Japanese writing, not roomaji.

The examples in the style 'sheet' put out by the Society of Writers,
editors, and Translators, Tokyo, Japan (SWET) uses English language
quotation marks with romanized text. The topic is not specifically
discussed. However, if we can draw a parallel with italicization, it
says when italicizing romanised text as a general rule apply the rules
used for English.

--Phil

Ben Bullock

Dec 4, 2007, 8:25:28 PM12/4/07
On Dec 2, 9:37 pm, Juhapekka Tolvanen

<SNAFU.juht...@iki.fi.FUBAR.invalid> wrote:
> Is this correct way to do it?:
>
> http://iki.fi/juhtolv/quote.html
>
> As you can see, every language has its own rules for using quotation
> marks, even Japanese. But those rules for Japanese are for normal
> Japanese writing, not roomaji.

This seems to be a new kind of spam.

Juhapekka Tolvanen

Dec 8, 2007, 2:46:10 PM12/8/07

Phil <phil...@adelphia.net> writes:

> The examples in the style 'sheet' put out by the Society of Writers,
> editors, and Translators, Tokyo, Japan (SWET) uses English language
> quotation marks with romanized text. The topic is not specifically
> discussed. However, if we can draw a parallel with italicization, it
> says when italicizing romanised text as a general rule apply the rules
> used for English.

Okay. I will use quotation marks in English way from this forward, when
using UTF-8 and writing japanese in roomaji.