Windows XP Language Bar Question

Ari Greenberg

Nov 16, 2002, 3:19:06 AM11/16/02
Hi all,

I use the language bar in Windows XP Home Addition. Whenever I am to use
Japanese in a new window, I press Ctrl-Shift to make the language bar switch
from English to Japanese, but the default input mode is always "Direct
Input." In order to type using romaji, I have to click on "Input Mode" with
the mouse and select Hiragana. Does anybody know if there is a keyboard
shortcut to change this, or, even better, a way to specify my default input
mode as Hiragana instead of Direct Input?

Thanks,
Ari

Scott Reynolds

Nov 16, 2002, 3:48:32 AM11/16/02
Ari Greenberg wrote:

Assuming that you are not using the Japanese keyboard layout (in which
case you would simply press the 漢字 key), you should be able to switch
back and forth between the direct and hiragana input input modes using
Alt-~ (Alt plus the key to the right of your 1 key).

As for making hiragana input the default, I believe there is a setting
for this (right click on the language bar and select "Settings"), but I
seem to remember having problems getting it to stick.

Scott Reynolds s...@gol.com

Curt Fischer

Nov 16, 2002, 4:18:58 AM11/16/02
Scott Reynolds wrote:
> Ari Greenberg wrote:
>
>> I use the language bar in Windows XP Home Addition. Whenever I am to
>> use Japanese in a new window, I press Ctrl-Shift to make the
>> language bar switch
>> from English to Japanese, but the default input mode is always
>> "Direct Input." In order to type using romaji, I have to click on
>> "Input Mode" with
>> the mouse and select Hiragana. Does anybody know if there is a
>> keyboard shortcut to change this, or, even better, a way to specify
>> my default input
>> mode as Hiragana instead of Direct Input?
>
> Assuming that you are not using the Japanese keyboard layout (in which
> case you would simply press the 漢字 key), you should be able to
switch
> back and forth between the direct and hiragana input input modes using
> Alt-~ (Alt plus the key to the right of your 1 key).

On most US keyboards it is to the _left_ of the one key, actually. HTH.

> As for making hiragana input the default, I believe there is a setting
> for this (right click on the language bar and select "Settings"), but
> I seem to remember having problems getting it to stick.

There was a thread about this awhile ago. I think the answer was there
was no apparent way to set that preference.

--
Curt Fischer

Scott Reynolds

Nov 16, 2002, 4:29:29 AM11/16/02
On 11/16/2002 6:18 PM, Curt Fischer wrote:

> Scott Reynolds wrote:

> >Assuming that you are not using the Japanese keyboard layout (in which
> >case you would simply press the 漢字 key), you should be able to
>
> switch
>
> >back and forth between the direct and hiragana input input modes using
> >Alt-~ (Alt plus the key to the right of your 1 key).
>

> On most US keyboards it is to the _left_ of the one key, actually. HTH.

Oops! You are correct, of course. (Then again, I suppose it depends on
which side of the keyboard you are sitting on.)

Gabriel

Nov 16, 2002, 2:51:18 PM11/16/02
"Curt Fischer" <cr...@po.cwru.edu> wrote in message news:<ar52i5$mfk$1...@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>...

> Scott Reynolds wrote:
> > Ari Greenberg wrote:

[snip]

> > As for making hiragana input the default, I believe there is a setting
> > for this (right click on the language bar and select "Settings"), but
> > I seem to remember having problems getting it to stick.
>
> There was a thread about this awhile ago. I think the answer was there
> was no apparent way to set that preference.

The setting that Scott names is for changing the default mode that
Alt-~ activates. You can make Alt-~ change from "Direct input mode"
into "Katakana" by default (instead of Hiragana).
Other useful shortcuts
in Hiragana Mode Alt-CapsLock changes to Katakana
in Katakana Mode Ctrl-CapsLock changes to Hiragana