赤日

JimBreen

Jun 19, 2011, 8:27:05 AM6/19/11
There's an EDICT entry:

赤日 (あかび) (n) (sl) menstruation

which came in about 5 years ago. No references were
provided. Someone has now questioned its accuracy. On
digging around I have found one passing usage example
in a posting on a blog about menstruation.

Can anyone verify that it's genuine? If I
can't get some support for it I will drop
it.

TIA

Jim

Tad Perry

Jun 19, 2011, 9:12:27 PM6/19/11
"JimBreen" <jimb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

IMO, if a native speaker was confirmed to have used it on their blog, I'd
keep it. Otherwise another native speaker will use it sometime down the road
(however, infrequently) , and some poor Japanese learner will rush to EDICT
to figure it out, only to be denied.

tvp

muchan

Jun 20, 2011, 3:36:57 AM6/20/11
On Jun 20, 1:12 am, "Tad Perry" <tadpe...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "JimBreen" <jimbr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Personally I don't know the slang. (No wonder, because I'm not a girl
8)

Web searching on 赤日 tells me basically two meanings
1) 太陽の光。夏の照り輝く太陽
2) 「赤口(しゃっこう)」に同じ。 -> 暦注の六曜の一。大凶の日だが、正午だけは吉とされる。赤口日。しゃっく。

Then there are many hit using as 赤日新聞, that is, from right wing point
of view,
blaming 朝日新聞 as left wing newspaper.

Then, only few hit, but I also notice this slang usage between girls.
notably
女性の赤日手帳
http://www.yyuu.jp/_bbs/mibbs.cgi?mo=p&fo=zats&tn=2288&rs=811&re=840&rf=no

About Edict entry, you decide yourself. I won't have any objection
removing it.

muchan

JimBreen

Jun 20, 2011, 8:35:39 PM6/20/11
On Jun 20, 5:36 pm, muchan <mucha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 1:12 am, "Tad Perry" <tadpe...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > "JimBreen" <jimbr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > 赤日 (あかび) (n) (sl) menstruation

> > IMO, if a native speaker was confirmed to have used it on their blog, I'd

> > keep it. Otherwise another native speaker will use it sometime down the road
> > (however, infrequently) , and some poor Japanese learner will rush to EDICT
> > to figure it out, only to be denied.

Yeah, with that "sl" tag, you get away with a lot.

> Then, only few hit, but I also notice this slang usage between girls.
> notably
> 女性の赤日手帳

> http://www.yyuu.jp/_bbs/mibbs.cgi?mo=p&fo=zats&tn=2288&rs=811&re=840&...

Hmmm. a bit opaque, ね.

I think I'll keep it for now.

Thanks

Jim

Jean-Marc Desperrier

Jun 21, 2011, 5:50:33 AM6/21/11
JimBreen wrote:
> Yeah, with that "sl" tag, you get away with a lot.

Maybe you should also add a tag making clear this is not a frequent
usage and a cross reference to the proper word, obs seem a bit strong,
you don't have an "uncommon" tag ?

BTW following this japanese.stackexchange question :
http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1064/how-can-be-an-intransitive-verb
I did a inventory of the various 差す usage, which one are transitive,
which one are intransitive, in order to correct all the case for which
the JMdict/EDICT db is listing intransitive when it should be transitive.
No I'm wondering if I'll add it as an additionnal answer, create a new
question with what I've found and asking if people can find more usage
(I'v found at least one missing in edict, 将棋を指す, and I think "to
provoke a feeling" should be split between 気が差す and 水を差す, if it
can refer to something else than those two cases, I'd like to know what)
or post here instead of there (ok, now posting here instead is almost a
done thing :-) ).

JimBreen

Jun 21, 2011, 8:11:01 AM6/21/11
Hi Jean-Marc,

On Jun 21, 7:50 pm, Jean-Marc Desperrier <jmd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> JimBreen wrote:
> > Yeah, with that "sl" tag, you get away with a lot.
>
> Maybe you should also add a tag making clear this is not a frequent
> usage and a cross reference to the proper word, obs seem a bit strong,
> you don't have an "uncommon" tag ?

OK, I've marked it "obs", i.e. rare or obscure.

> BTW following this japanese.stackexchange question :http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1064/how-can-be-an-intran...

> I did a inventory of the various 差す usage, which one are transitive,
> which one are intransitive, in order to correct all the case for which
> the JMdict/EDICT db is listing intransitive when it should be transitive.
> No I'm wondering if I'll add it as an additionnal answer, create a new
> question with what I've found and asking if people can find more usage
> (I'v found at least one missing in edict, 将棋を指す,

Thanks. I have added that one.

> ....... and I think "to

> provoke a feeling" should be split between 気が差す and 水を差す, if it
> can refer to something else than those two cases, I'd like to know what)

Feel free to amend those two.

> or post here instead of there (ok, now posting here instead is almost a
> done thing :-) ).

8-)

Jim