Great GPS Stash Hunt - Stash #1 was Found!!

Dave

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

Yep, someone already visited Stash #1 !! Leaf cover moved !

Stash #1 at N45 17.460 W122 24.800

I didn't have time to look inside but will do that later.

What did they take?

What did they leave?

What did they write in the logbook?

What a mystery!

Stash #1 is easy to find but I'll be making some harder to find
ones, like: Floating Stash, Underwater Stash, Tree Stash, Sand
dune stash, you might know where they are but how do you get to
them??

Underground and building stashes will be the hardest to find.
Like in a subway you'll need to use a compass and some
orienteering skills to find the stashes where GPS signals are
not. Good Luck !

Dave

Bob Perschau

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

"Dave" <news2you...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

>Yep, someone already visited Stash #1 !! Leaf cover moved !
>
>Stash #1 at N45 17.460 W122 24.800

Which datum? If the GGPSSH (Great GPS Stash Hunt) continues I would suggest
using UTM. It makes using 7.5 minute quads easier.

Just my $.02 US
Bob (re-gathering waypoints and once again driving his wife crazy )

DJA

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
You should add your email address to the stash so you can be notified of a
find...

Dave (too)

Dave <news2you...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Yep, someone already visited Stash #1 !! Leaf cover moved !
>
> Stash #1 at N45 17.460 W122 24.800

Dave

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Thanks for the $.02 ! Is UTM effected by Mat Datum? Actually I'm pondering a
one line 80 character description for stashes that can be easily sorted and
managed. Now what should the 80 characters contain?

Dave

"Bob Perschau" <r...@panduit.com> wrote in message

> "Dave" <news2you...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
> >Yep, someone already visited Stash #1 !! Leaf cover moved !
> >
> >Stash #1 at N45 17.460 W122 24.800

Richard Cochran

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Bob Perschau <r...@panduit.com> wrote:

> "Dave" <news2you...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

>>Yep, someone already visited Stash #1 !! Leaf cover moved !
>>
>>Stash #1 at N45 17.460 W122 24.800

> Which datum? If the GGPSSH (Great GPS Stash Hunt) continues I would suggest
> using UTM. It makes using 7.5 minute quads easier.

Probably using the WGS-84 datum, unless otherwise stated.

Note that the selection of datum and the decision about whether to
display it in UTM (or some other grid) are independent choices. You
can display WGS-84 coordinates in UTM or Lat-Long format, likewise
NAD27 can be in Lat-Long or UTM.

--Rich

Bob Perschau

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
I noticed that blunder after I posted. (I hate that when it happens.)
Didn't mean to indicate that UTM was a datum. I just ran two independent
thoughts together.

Bob
(I've got to proof-read better, I've got to proof read... )

"Richard Cochran" <rcoc...@netcom10.netcom.com> wrote in message

bpb

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
"Dave" <news...@hotmail.com> wrote:
| Thanks for the $.02 ! Is UTM effected by Mat Datum? Actually I'm pondering a
| one line 80 character description for stashes that can be easily sorted and
| managed. Now what should the 80 characters contain?

For sorting (by what?) and general human-handling,
maybe the following description is adequate?

dddd.ddN ddddd.ddE vg Comment-to-end-of-line

where the numerical formats are DDmm.mm (lat) and DDDmm.mm (lon) with a
N/S or E/W suffix as necessary, vg is the volume and units (g/l) of the
container (so we know a limit on object size), and finally a textual
comment. If the numbers were also zero-prefixed then stash locales in
this format could be sorted easily enough. If the volume is specified,
maybe we should just use liters since "gallon" begs the question, "which
gallon?"

just a thought,
-bpb

Dseibold

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
> If the volume is specified,
>maybe we should just use liters since "gallon" begs the question, "which
>gallon?"

A five gallon bucket is pretty standard in the usa -- even what it looks like.
Kind of like a No. 9 can. Its not so much how much it holds as what it looks
like.

Dale DePriest

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
It would be if we ever actually used a dry gallon for much of anything.
We're more likely to use a bushel for dry items.

Dale

--
For GPS data see: Joe -- http://joe.mehaffey.com
Peter -- http://www.vancouver-webpages.com/peter/