D9 <--> USB

PKi

Oct 13, 2004, 6:36:56 AM10/13/04
Hi there,
I have few years old Garmin 12 GPS that came with D9 serial cable. Now I
bought an Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 410 PDA that came with an USB/power cable.

The BIG question is how to make them to talk to each other !! One
possibility is to use 12V car connector for Garmin that comes with Bluetooth
beause the PDA has Bluetooth also, BUT it's useless anywhere else than in a
car though 8(

I know there's bluetooth GPS for sale, but I try to manage with 30euros not
300.

Is there an adapter between D9 <--> USB ? They talk in different rates, so
I think not.

Please help
pekka

Sam Storm van Leeuwen

Oct 13, 2004, 8:09:50 AM10/13/04
"PKi" <seem...@bottom.invalid> wrote in

> begin 666 Launch Internet Explorer Browser.lnk
> Attachment decoded: Launch Internet Explorer Browser.lnk
> `
> end

Hi Pekka,

Search ebay for "serial to usb converter". Under 20 Euro
with some luck.

Sam

Pc-Mobile

Oct 14, 2004, 11:08:01 AM10/14/04
"Anatoliy Kurgan" <reply_t...@nomail.net> wrote in message news:<lFsbd.2375$Fe6.1...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Hello, PKi!
>
> http://pc-mobile.net/loox.htm

There are just doubt about this which was why I did not offer such
advice in the first
place>
1. does 410 use the same cables as 600/610?
2. does 410 have a serial port?

If either is negative then you cannot use the cables for 600/610

410 is new (budget) and many new budget PDAs nowadays may lack a
serial port.
We do not expect to see the light of 410 for a while so will not get
any answer.

Anatoliy Kurgan

Oct 14, 2004, 8:47:11 PM10/14/04
Hello, Pc-Mobile!

I do not know anything about Lox, but I like your website. I think it very useful for many PDA users.
I use your cable Digitraveler to Jornada 568. Thank you.

You wrote on 14 Oct 2004 08:08:01 -0700:

PM> "Anatoliy Kurgan" <reply_t...@nomail.net> wrote in message
??>> Hello, PKi!
??>>
??>> http://pc-mobile.net/loox.htm
??>>
PM> There are just doubt about this which was why I did not offer such
PM> advice in the first
place>>
PM> 1. does 410 use the same cables as 600/610?
PM> 2. does 410 have a serial port?

PM> If either is negative then you cannot use the cables for 600/610

With best regards, Anatoliy Kurgan.

Pc-Mobile

Oct 13, 2004, 9:38:46 PM10/13/04
USB>serial converter is for PC. It will not do for pda. Unless the PDA has
USB host port.

I do not know whether Loox 410 has a serial port or even USB host. If it
has a serial port then you need a serial cable of you PDA plus a null modem
adapter which will connect to the GPS serial cable. If it uses the same cables
as previous 600 model then it is easy/cheap to find and will set you back less
than 30 euro.

If it does not have serial, but has USB host, then you need the USB host cable
plus the USB>serial converter. It will cost you more than 30 euro, and make
sure that the USB>serial converter comes with the necessary driver.

Pc-Mobile
http://pc-mobile.net

PKi

Oct 15, 2004, 6:20:48 AM10/15/04
Hi Anatoliy and pc-mobile 8)

Eventhough 410 is cheapish it's amazingly full equipped. I have had +5
handhelds before so I do have some references though... It does include
bluetooth, irda and usb (cable in package) PLUS you can have serial cable
dedicated for 410 separately.

I presume 600 series has slightly different connection, but am not 100% sure
bout that. I already ordered the serial cable, so let's hope I manage to run
the GPS though it.

Thanks a lot. And yes the pc-mobile's pages are awesome.
pekka [FIN]

"Pc-Mobile" <pcmob...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Dave Martindale

Oct 17, 2004, 4:24:05 PM10/17/04
"PKi" <seem...@bottom.invalid> writes:

>The BIG question is how to make them to talk to each other !! One
>possibility is to use 12V car connector for Garmin that comes with Bluetooth
>beause the PDA has Bluetooth also, BUT it's useless anywhere else than in a
>car though 8(

>Is there an adapter between D9 <--> USB ? They talk in different rates, so
>I think not.

The bigger problem is protocols. The DB9 from the GPSr is just plain
async ASCII data. USB connections require a bunch of software on each
end to talk using a particular protocol. And most USB devices are just
slaves - they respond to commands from a host, but can't manage
transfers on their own. Only USB hosts can control USB connections.

Thus, you can get USB-serial adapters for computers, that convert
between serial RS232 data and packets of data on the USB bus, with
drivers in the computer managing the whole process. But the same
adapters will not work with most PDAs, which are USB slaves only.

To work with a USB-slave PDA, the adapter would have to act as the USB
host/controller.

Dave

Pc-Mobile

Oct 26, 2004, 8:44:55 PM10/26/04
"PKi" <seem...@bottom.invalid> wrote in message news:<4wNbd.27931$g4.5...@news2.nokia.com>...

> Hi Anatoliy and pc-mobile 8)
>
> Eventhough 410 is cheapish it's amazingly full equipped. I have had +5
> handhelds before so I do have some references though... It does include
> bluetooth, irda and usb (cable in package) PLUS you can have serial cable
> dedicated for 410 separately.
>
> I presume 600 series has slightly different connection, but am not 100% sure
> bout that. I already ordered the serial cable, so let's hope I manage to run
> the GPS though it.
>
> Thanks a lot. And yes the pc-mobile's pages are awesome.
> pekka [FIN]
Have you got the cable (?which) and does it work?

PKi

Oct 28, 2004, 7:55:42 AM10/28/04
Not yet, been busy 8)
I might get it today...let you know how it works.