Tropical Cyclone Name Lists

Jack Beven

Jul 28, 1994, 7:32:21 AM7/28/94
I have available. I have not yet found a complete list of names for the
Southwest Indian Ocean (Madagascar-Mauritius-Reunion region). If anyone has
any further information on that list, or any updates on the others, please
e-mail me at one of the addresses below.

Jack Beven
National Hurricane Center
be...@hrd-tardis.nhc.noaa.gov
jbe...@delphi.com

Australian Region Names (as of 1989):

Western Australian Region:

Emma Pedro
Frank Rosita
Gertie Sam
Hubert Tina
Isobel Vincent
Jacob Walter
Kristy Alex
Lindsay Bessi
Margot Chris
Nicholas Daphne
Ophelia Errol
Pancho Fifi
Rhonda Graham
Selwyn Harriet
Tiffany Ian
Victor Jane
Alison Ken
Billy Lena
Connie Monty
Damien Naomi
Elsie Oscar
Frederic Pearl
Gwenda Quenton
Herbie Sharon
Ilona Tim
John Vivienne
Kirrily Willy
Leon Annette
Marcia Bobby
Ned Chloe
Olga Daryl

Northern Australian Region:

Gretel George
Hector Helen
Irma Ira
Jason Jasmine
Kay Kim
Laurence Laura
Marian Matt
Neville Nicola
Olivia Oswald
Phil Penny
Rachel Russell
Sid Sandra
Thelma Trevor
Vance Valerie
Winsome Warwick
Alistair Amelia
Bonnie Bruno
Craig Coral
Debbie Dominic
Evan Esther
Fay Ferdinand

Eastern Australian Region:

Monica Agnes
Nigel Barry
Odette Celeste
Pierre Dennis
Rebecca Ethel
Sandy Fergus
Tania Gillian
Vernon Harold
Wendy Justin
Alfred Katrina
Blanch Les
Charlie May
Denise Nathan
Ernie Olinda
Felicity Pete
Greg Rona
Hilda Steve
Ivor Tessi
Joy Vaughan
Kelvin Abigail
Lisa Bernie
Mark Claudia
Nina Des
Oliver Elinor
Polly Fritz
Roger Grace
Sadie Harvey
Theodore Ingrid
Violet Jim
Warren Kathy
Lance

If I understand the manual I got this out of correctly, each region starts
the year with whatever name is next on the list after the last cyclone of the
previous year. When the end of a colum is reached, the next name is the top
name of the other colum.

Fiji Region Names:

LIST A LIST B LIST C LIST D LIST E
(standby)
Ami Arthur Atu Alan Amos
Beni Becky Beti Bart Bobby
Cilla Cliff Cyril Cora Chris
Dovi Daman Drena Dani Daphne
Eseta Elisa Evan Ella Eva
Fili Funa Freda Frank Fanny
Gina Gene Gavin Gita Garry
Heta Hettie Hina Hali Helene
Ivy Innis Ian Iris Irene
Judy Joni June Jo Julie
Kerry Kina Keli Kim Ken
Lola Lin Lusi Leo Louise
Meena Mick Martin Mona Mike
Nancy Nisha Nute Neil Nat
Olaf Oli Osea Oma Odile
Percy Prema Pam Paula Pat
Rae Rewa Ron Rita Rene
Sina Sarah Susan Sam Sheila
Tam Tomas Tusi Trina Tui
Vaianu Usha Ursula Uka Ula
Zita Vania Veli Vicky Victor
William Wini Walter Wilma
Yali Yolande Yalo
Zuman Zoe Zena

Lists A, B, C, and D are used sequentially one after the other. The first
name in any given year is the one immediately following the last name from the
previous year. List E is a list of replacement names if they become necessary.

Papua New Guinea Region Names:

Adel
Epi
Guba
Ila
Kama
Tako
Upi

Southwest Indian ocean names (as of 1994):

1989/1990 1990/1991 1991/1992 1992/1993 1993/1994

Alibera Alison Alexandra Aviona Alexina
Baomavo Bella Bryna Babie Bettina
Cezera Cynthia Celesta Colina Cecelia
Dety Debra Davilia Dessilia Daisy
Edisaona Elma Elizabeth Edwina Edmea
Felana Fatima Farida Finella Farah
Gregoara Gritelle Gerda Gracia Geralda
Hanta Hazelle Heather Hutelle Hollanda
Ikonjo Inese Irna Ionia Ivy
Jezebela Julia Jeanne Jourdanne Julita
Klaovisy Ketsia Kelvina Konita Kelvina
Lapraozy Lorna Luciana Litanne
Mosa Mary Mica Mariola
Ngita Nadege Nita Nadia
Osikara Olivette Olga Odille
Pilaza Prescilla Patsy
Raely Quincy Queenie
Siza Rosalie Renette
Tsihaminy Susan Sheila
Vero Therese Tracy
Webera Ursula Una
Yvety Valerie Velma
Zavamania Wilna Winnie
Yolanda Yvette
Zita Zayda

I'm sorry I don't have a better list than this. The manual I took the names
from, only had the first three lists. The others I put together from my weekly
summaries. Obviously I missed one, and of course the seasons did not go all
the way through the alphabet.

Western North Pacific Names (as of the end of 1991):

Angela Abe Amy Axel
Brian Becky Brendan Bobbie
Colleen Cecil Caitlin Chuck
Dan Dot Doug Deanna
Elsie Ed Ellie Eli
Forrest Flo Fred Faye
Gay Gene Gladys Gary
Hunt Hattie Harry Helen
Irma Ira Ivy Irving
Jack Jeana Joel Janis
Koryn Kyle Kinna Kent
Lewis Lola Luke Lois
Marian Manny Melissa Mark
Nathan Nell Nat Nina
Ofelia Owen Orchid Oscar
Percy Page Pat Polly
Robyn Russ Ruth Ryan
Steve Sharon Seth Sibyl
Tasha Tim Teresa Ted
Vernon Vanessa Verne Val
Winona Walt Wilda Ward
Yancy Yunya Yuri Yvette
Zola Zeke Zelda Zack

These names are used sequentially. If the last storm of the year is
Orchid, the first storm of the next year is Pat. This is directly from the
annual report of the Joint Typhoon Warning Center. Manny replaced Mike in
1991. Melissa replaced Mireielle and Teresa replaced Thelma in 1992. Oscar
replaced Omar in 1994.

Central North Pacific Names:

List 1 List 2 List 3 List 4

Akoni Aka Alika Ana
Ema Ekeka Ele Ela
Hana Hali Huko Halola
Io Iolana Ioke Iune
Keli Keoni Kika Kimo
Lala Li Lana Loke
Moke Mele Maka Malia
Nele Nona Neki Niala
Oka Oliwa Oleka Oko
Peke Paka Peni Pali
Uleki Upana Ulia Ulika
Wila Wene Wali Walaka

The names are used one after the other. When the bottom of one list is
reached, the next name is the top of the next list. Keoni was the only Central
Pacific storm of 1993. Iniki has been replaced by Iolana.

Eastern North Pacific Names:

1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998

Adrian Aletta Adolph Alma Andres Agatha
Beatriz Bud Barbara Boris Blanca Blas
Calvin Carlotta Cosme Cristina Carlos Celia
Dora Daniel Dalilia Douglas Dolores Darby
Eugene Emilia Erick Elida Enrique Estelle
Fernanda Fabio Flossie Fausto Felicia Frank
Greg Gilma Gil Genevieve Guillermo Georgette
Hilary Hector Henriette Hernan Hilda Howard
Irwin Ileana Ismael Iselle Ignacio Isis
Jova John Juliette Julio Jimena Javier
Kenneth Kristy Kiko Kenna Kevin Kay
Lidia Lane Lorena Lowell Linda Lester
Max Miriam Manuel Marie Marty Madeline
Norma Norman Narda Norbert Nora Newton
Otis Olivia Octave Odile Olaf Orlene
Pilar Paul Priscilla Polo Pauline Paine
Ramon Rosa Raymond Rachel Rick Roslyn
Selma Sergio Sonia Simon Sandra Seymour
Todd Tara Tico Trudy Terry Tina
Veronica Vicente Velma Vance Vivian Virgil
Wiley Willa Wallis Winnie Waldo Winifred
Xina Xavier Xina Xavier Xina Xavier
York Yolanda York Yolanda York Yolanda
Zelda Zeke Zelda Zeke Zelda Zeke

These lists are re-cycled every six years (this year's list will be used
again in 1999). Felicia replaces Fefa in 1991.

Atlantic Names:

1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998

Arlene Alberto Allison Arthur Ana Alex
Bret Beryl Barry Bertha Bill Bonnie
Cindy Chris Chantal Cesar Claudette Charley
Dennis Debby Dean Dolly Danny Danielle
Emily Ernesto Erin Edouard Erika Earl
Floyd Florence Felix Fran Fabian Frances
Gert Gordon Gabrielle Gustav Grace Georges
Harvey Helene Humberto Hortense Henri Hermine
Irene Isaac Iris Isidore Isabel Ivan
Jose Joyce Jerry Josephine Juan Jeanne
Katrina Keith Karen Kyle Kate Karl
Lenny Leslie Luis Lili Larry Lisa
Maria Michael Marilyn Marco Mindy Mitch
Nate Nadine Noel Nana Nicholas Nicole
Ophelia Oscar Opal Omar Odette Otto
Philippe Patty Pablo Paloma Peter Paula
Rita Rafael Roxanne Rene Rose Richard
Stan Sandy Sebastien Sally Sam Shary
Tammy Tony Tanya Teddy Teresa Tomas
Vince Valerie Van Vicky Victor Virginie
Wilma William Wendy Wilfred Wanda Walter

These lists are also re-cycled every 6 years. Several names have been
changed since the lists were last used. Gordon has replaced Gilbert in 1994.
Humberto has replaced Hugo in 1995. Dolly has replaced Diana, and Kyle has
replaced Klaus (1996). Bill has replaced Bob in 1997, and Alex has replaced
Andrew in 1998.

Ilana Stern

Jul 28, 1994, 11:49:34 AM7/28/94
In article <p2wQz61...@delphi.com>, Jack Beven <jbe...@delphi.com> writes:
> I have available.
>
> Australian Region Names (as of 1989):
>
> Western Australian Region:
[...]
> Ilona

Oops, they didn't spell my name right!

> Central North Pacific Names:
>
> List 1 List 2 List 3 List 4

[...]
> Io Iolana Ioke Iune
^^^^^^

No, that's not quite right either....

> Eastern North Pacific Names:
>
> 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998
>

> Irwin Ileana Ismael Iselle Ignacio Isis

^^^^^^

So close, and yet so far!!

"Hurricane Ilana." Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

--
/\ The truth is not known except to the wise, | dod#0009 cliff swallow
\_][ who drink it from the foaming coffee cup. | il...@ncar.ucar.edu