Tropical Cyclone Weekly Summary #134 (February 20 - 27, 1994)

JACK

Mar 5, 1994, 8:13:00 PM3/5/94
This report is compiled from warnings issued by:
National Hurricane Center Central Pacific Hurricane Center
Naval Western Oceanography Center Fiji Meteorological Service
Meteorological Service of New Zealand Joint Typhoon Warning Center
Japanese Meteorological Agency Bureau of Meteorology, Australia
Philippine Meteorological Service Royal Observatory of Hong Kong
Indian Meteorological Department Reunion Meteorological Service
Mauritius Meteorological Service
(others may be added as they become available)

Author's note: ja...@cloud3.met.fsu.edu is still valid, but please try to
address any comments or questions to be...@hrd-tardis.nhc.noaa.gov (assuming
the mailer stays operational!).

Author's second note: Special thanks to David Roth at FSU for writing
the summaries for me while I was away at the NEXRAD training school.

Author's third note: I apologize for this being late. I also apologize
to those who normally get the summary on Internet news about it's abscence
during the last several weeks. The back issues were posted on March 3. If
anyone missed these issues, please send me a message and I'll provide them
for you.

WEEKLY TROPICAL CYCLONE SUMMARY #134 FEBRUARY 20 - 27, 1994

North Atlantic Basin: No tropical cyclones.

Eastern North Pacific Basin (E of 140 Deg. W): No tropical cyclones.

Central North Pacific Basin (180 Deg. W to 140 Deg. W): No tropical cyclones.

Western North Pacific Basin (W of 180 Deg. W): No tropical cyclones.

North Indian Ocean Basin: No tropical cyclones.

South Indian Ocean Basin (W of 135 Deg. E): No tropical cyclones.

South Pacific Ocean Basin (E of 135 Deg. E):

Tropical Cyclone Theodore (TC-18P): Tropical Cyclone Theodore formed
near 11S 155E on 23 February. Initially moving south, it reached tropical storm
intensity later that day. Theodore continued south on 24 February while reach-
ing hurricane intensity. The storm turned southeast on 25 February, then it
accelerated southeastward through the New Caledonia islands on 26 February. It
reached a peak intensity of 115 kt that day, while intensity estimates were
100-105 kt near New Caledonia. Theodore continued rapidly southeast and became
extratropical near 29S 175E on 27 February. Theodore initially affected Roussel
Island (southeast of New Guinea), which reported 30 kt winds on several obser-
vations during 24 February. Maximum sustained winds reported in New Caledonia
were 45 kt at Noumea at 0000 UTC 27 February with a simultaneous pressure of
993.7 mb. Minimum observed pressure was 991.4 mb at Ouvea Ouloup at 2100 UTC 26
February. There are no reports of damage or casualties at this time.

Disclaimer: While an effort has been made to make sure this information is
accurate as possible, it was drawn from operational warnings that may not
always agree with the best track information published after the storm is
over. Please address any questions or comments to Internet address:

be...@hrd-tardis.nhc.noaa.gov (preferrable)

or

ja...@cloud3.met.fsu.edu (still good for now)

Past copies of the Tropical Cyclone Weekly Summary can be obtained via e-
mail. Please send an e-mail message if you are interested.