willies willies/dust devils

Annick Ansselin

May 10, 1991, 12:46:32 AM5/10/91
Wouldn't the Australian "Willie Willies" be equivalent to the American "dust
devils" instead of hurricanes?

R. Timothy Smith

May 11, 1991, 2:12:03 AM5/11/91
In article <1991May11.0...@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> cur...@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Brian Curran) writes:
>In article <16...@physiol.su.oz.au> ann...@physiol.su.oz.au (Annick Ansselin)
>writes:

>>Wouldn't the Australian "Willie Willies" be equivalent to the American "dust
>>devils" instead of hurricanes?
>Quite right. Somehow the rest of the world was led to believe that Aussies

QUICK, somebody alert the Textbook Police! We may have the
culprit. In the sixth-grade teacher edition (p. 281) of the
1989 version for Scott Foresman's _Discover Science_ the teacher
is told that: "In Australia, a hurricane is called a Willy Willy."

>call hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones "willy willies". This is false. From what
>I've been able to read (and from my girlfriend who spent some time Down
>Under), these storms are called cyclones. Willy-willy refers to a dust devil.

-=- R. Timothy Smith -=- University of Delaware -=- Newark, DE -=-

--

-=-=- R. Timothy Smith -=-=- University of Delaware -=-=-
-=-=- rsm...@louie.udel.edu -=-=- Newark, DE 19716 -=-=-

Brian Curran

May 11, 1991, 12:49:55 AM5/11/91
writes:

>Wouldn't the Australian "Willie Willies" be equivalent to the American "dust
>devils" instead of hurricanes?

Quite right. Somehow the rest of the world was led to believe that Aussies

call hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones "willy willies".

This is false. From what I've been able to read (and from my girlfriend
who spent some time Down Under), these storms are called cyclones.

Willy-willy refers to a dust devil.

General question: Guess it depends on your reference frame, but how
in the hell does weather in the Southern Hemisphere work? I mean,
Coriolis changes sign, temperature gradient is all backwards, etc...

Insert :-) here.

b "Greg Stumpf knows gustnadoes" c
--
Brian "Nighthawk" Curran |internet: cur...@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu