Fake towns on maps

Dan_Ja...@att.com

Aug 4, 1991, 1:48:36 PM8/4/91

John> In article <6LG}M...@cck.cov.ac.uk> idx...@cck.cov.ac.uk (the Crisco Kid) writes:
>Over several years, I have heard rumours that the compilers of dictionaries
>are wont to include spurious entries, either by inventing non-existent words,
>or by supplementing the definitions of existing words with fake auxiliary
>definititions. The reason that this practice is supposed to exist is to
>provide a means of demonstrating that another dictionary which includes
>this word/definition must have been constructed plagiaristically.

John> Not only do dictionaries include fake entries, so do phone books, mailing
John> lists, and maps.

John> mapmakers make 2 versions of each map - one with fake entries for
John> general distribution, one that's entirely correct for the police,
John> ambulances, fire departments, etc.

John> --John "I live at 666 Spurious Way" Wichers

No kidding?! I got a pile of Rand McNally and other leading brand
atlases here. Any fake towns etc. to report to us fellow newsreaders?

Scott Spetter

Aug 5, 1991, 3:01:37 AM8/5/91

Actually, the same thing is commonly done with software - particularly
microcode! (You include routines that serve no purpose.)

This is how IBM nailed Fujitsu in a major case a few years back - not
that it was a total loss for Fujitsu since they got a license to use
the IBM code as part of the settlement of the case.

Cheers,

Scott

--
Scott J. Spetter - IBM Release Engineer

***** UltraNetwork Technologies ** Home of the Gigabit/Second Network *****
101 Daggett Drive, San Jose, CA 95134 (408) 922-0100 X-143

Rakesh Srivastava

Aug 5, 1991, 3:19:57 PM8/5/91

There was a news article on fake names of roads and cities on maps
on 20/20 about 2 months ago. They showed on one of the Ohio maps,
probably a AAA map two cities which were completely fake - one was
named GOBLU and another was named BEATOSU. They also showed a few fake
streets on some city map, I dont remember them right now. The argument
was the same as above i.e. to make sure that other map makers do not
copy their maps.

As an interesting side note, the reporter noted that the person who
made these maps was an Indiana basketball fan, and the names should
his support for his team -- Go Blue and Beat OSU.

In Clveland also I have noticed some roads on the map that I dont seem
to find. The maps I have are of AAA.

Rakesh Srivastava
sms...@melkor.lerc.nasa.gov

Andy Michael USGS Guest

Aug 5, 1991, 3:49:08 PM8/5/91
In article <1991Aug5.1...@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> sms...@melkor.lerc.nasa.gov (Rakesh Srivastava) writes:
>In Clveland also I have noticed some roads on the map that I dont seem
>to find. The maps I have are of AAA.
Another source of non-existent roads are subdivisions that were never
completed. We have a few roads like that in our neighborhood that make
it onto every map of the area, even the non-copyrighted photo-corrected
USGS topos.

Andy

Stephe. No V. No N.

Aug 5, 1991, 5:42:33 PM8/5/91
> No kidding?! I got a pile of Rand McNally and other leading brand
> atlases here. Any fake towns etc. to report to us fellow newsreaders?

Well, I have lived in Durham, Connecticut all of my life, and no one
whom I know has ever heard of a place called "Durham Center"...
And I have yet to see a map which does _not_ include this mysterious
town a bit to the north or south of "Durham".

Could this be an unnoticed "copyright trap"? There has never been, to
my knowledge, any such place. Living in town, I have seen many old and
new _town_ maps, and it was never mentioned on any of these, though it
appears on every _state_ map which I have ever seen.

Also, on a recent local map, a road called "Pent Road" was labeled "Gate
Road." Rumor had it that this was put there to catch copiers, though
I don't know why anyone would want to copy a map of my little town...

Many of these misnamings are probably errors, as are many of the
misspellings. And many are simply due to local custom. National
Geographic mentioned this in a "Geographica" column recently. It seems
that there is a bureau in the US government (I don't remember the
name right now) which deals with standardizing the names of locations.
I could look up the article if there is interest...

Stephe!
--
----- This message brought to you in its entirety by Stephe! ------
My Message is made of the finest literary ingredients. It should

Phil OKunewick

Aug 5, 1991, 5:38:49 PM8/5/91
lan...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Stephe. No V. No N.) writes:
>Well, I have lived in Durham, Connecticut all of my life, and no one
>whom I know has ever heard of a place called "Durham Center"...
>And I have yet to see a map which does _not_ include this mysterious
>town a bit to the north or south of "Durham"...

This sounds like Big Hollow Road, which is on every mape of State
College PA I've ever seen. It's a jeep trail, which can only be
passed in cars with a _lot_ of ground clearance. At one time it was
probably a main road. The township recently put up signs at either
end of the bad part, "5 MPH - DRIVE AT YOUR OWN RISK."

There are a lot of towns I've seen which have almost completely
vanished, buildings and all. What once had a population of a couple
hundred now only has a couple houses left, if any. A lot of these are
still on maps though. There's a former town in Virginia that I saw
recently, which only has a church and a moderate sized cemetary left.

It's possible that Durham was originally Durham Center, and the
downtown area "migrated" during the past 200 years.

I've heard of catching copyright violations using false information
before - I think Trivial Pursuit got nailed on it. A lot of information
on maps and in reference books is "common knowledge", but fictional towns
and untrue "facts" have to be the property of the originator.

Now what does this all have to do with geology? Not a whole lot; time
to fudge a little...

Many geological formations bear the name of a town that no longer
exists. One in this area, Reedsville Shale, is named after a town
that you can still just barely locate. But you have to use your
imagination a little bit to distinguish Reedsville from a suburb of
State College.

Eugene N. Miya

Aug 5, 1991, 8:12:52 PM8/5/91
>Could this be an unnoticed "copyright trap"?

Remember that cultural features also change quickly.
Example: I went to school in Santa Barbara, CA at the time when
slide rules were going out and calculators were just coming in.
The largest slide rule maker at the time was Pickett (which also makes
templates). The address "Pickett Square, Santa Barbara, CA" was sufficient
to reach them. No more, gone, it happened that fast.

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eug...@orville.nas.nasa.gov
Resident Cynic, Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers
{uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene

Kenneth J. Gordon

Aug 5, 1991, 6:54:14 PM8/5/91
In article <1991Aug5.1...@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> sms...@melkor.lerc.nasa.gov (Rakesh Srivastava) writes:

>There was a news article on fake names of roads and cities on maps
>on 20/20 about 2 months ago. They showed on one of the Ohio maps,
>probably a AAA map two cities which were completely fake - one was
>named GOBLU and another was named BEATOSU. They also showed a few fake
>streets on some city map, I dont remember them right now. The argument
>was the same as above i.e. to make sure that other map makers do not
>copy their maps.
>
>As an interesting side note, the reporter noted that the person who
>made these maps was an Indiana basketball fan, and the names should
>his support for his team -- Go Blue and Beat OSU.

Sorry to pick nits... (but not that sorry, or I wouldn't have
posted :-)

Go Blue is a University of Michigan slogan, and U-M/OSU is one of the
longest running football rivalries in the country. Indianna team
colors are red & white. In other words, I humbly submit that the
mapmaker was a Michigan fan.

But a question for you netters out there... (just to make this post
appropriate to rec.autos.driving)...

When driving my car (standard), and letting the engine brake my car,
there reaches a point when the car is as slowed as it is going to be
from second gear, and my fuel injection kicks in to keep up the revs.
At that point, it is very easy to pop the car into neutral... the
stick moves as easily as if the clutch were depressed, and the trans
does not grind or seem to mind at all.

Is this bad for the car? It seems to save clutch wear, but it also
seems like something for nothing...

Kenneth Gordon
gor...@aerospace.aero.org

JB...@psuvm.psu.edu

Aug 6, 1991, 8:43:36 AM8/6/91
a source for some of these map "legends" is

Mark Monmonier <<How to Lie With Maps>>
Univ. of Chicago Press, 1991

' . ' ' ' .'.'.'..''.'.'..''..'.'.'.''..'.'...''...''' ' . ' ' .
' . '..'.'jb krygier penn state encampment of geography . ' ' .
. ' ' .'.. 'jb...@psuvm.psu.edu bla...@earth.essc.psu.edu .'. ' '
' ' ' '..'..'...'.''...'.'.'.'...'.'.'''.'.''.'.'.' . . ' . ' '

John Ackermann

Aug 6, 1991, 9:50:10 AM8/6/91
sms...@melkor.lerc.nasa.gov (Rakesh Srivastava) writes:

>As an interesting side note, the reporter noted that the person who
>made these maps was an Indiana basketball fan, and the names should
>his support for his team -- Go Blue and Beat OSU.

For shame, for shame!!! I've lost my respect (?!?) for ABC! "Go Blue"
can only refer to the (occasionally) glorious Michigan Wolverines.
--
John R. Ackermann, Jr. Law Department, NCR Corporation, Dayton, Ohio
(513) 445-2966 John.Ac...@daytonoh.ncr.com

John Ackermann

Aug 6, 1991, 9:53:39 AM8/6/91
lan...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Stephe. No V. No N.) writes:
>Well, I have lived in Durham, Connecticut all of my life, and no one
>whom I know has ever heard of a place called "Durham Center"...
>And I have yet to see a map which does _not_ include this mysterious
>town a bit to the north or south of "Durham"...

I spent some time in New Hampshire and found that apparently many of the
older communities had this sort of dual identity... Jaffrey was where
the real town was, but (located in roughly the geographical center of
the largely rural "town") was a wide spot in the road called Jaffrey
Center. Similarly, many folks know of North Conway, but there's also
Couway Center and I'm pretty sure even a South Conway.

Phil OKunewick

Aug 6, 1991, 11:46:23 AM8/6/91
gor...@aero.org (Kenneth J. Gordon) writes:

>> [ Fake towns on maps, GOBLUE and BEATOSU ]

>Go Blue is a University of Michigan slogan, and U-M/OSU is one of the
>longest running football rivalries in the country. Indianna team
>colors are red & white. In other words, I humbly submit that the
>mapmaker was a Michigan fan.

One type of translucent yellow calcite will go into a deep blue
under ultraviolet light. This is the second most common flourescent
color of calcite I have found, with yellow-green being the most
common. I suppose you could beat OSU with a lump of calcite.

>But a question for you netters out there... (just to make this post
>appropriate to rec.autos.driving)...

rec.autos.driving? This is sci.geo.geology!

>When driving my car (standard), and letting the engine brake my car,
>there reaches a point when the car is as slowed as it is going to be
>from second gear, and my fuel injection kicks in to keep up the revs.
>At that point, it is very easy to pop the car into neutral... the
>stick moves as easily as if the clutch were depressed, and the trans
>does not grind or seem to mind at all.

When there is no stress on the joint, the spline on the engaging
mechanism will shear very easily along the cleavage planes. A minor
amount of material will be freed, though it won't be much more than in
normal cleavage, when the clutch is disengaged. The freed material
will soon combine to form ferrous and ferric oxide deposits, rich in
carbon, although the oxidation will be slowed by the layer of oil.

>Is this bad for the car? It seems to save clutch wear, but it also
>seems like something for nothing...

It's a lot easier on the car than beating it with a lump of calcite.

Terry Chan

Aug 6, 1991, 1:03:01 PM8/6/91
On a sort of similar thread . . . Scot Morris' _The Emperor Who Ate the
Bible and Other Strange Facts and Useless Information_ notes that the
publishers of the US _Who's Who_ put in fake bios with the addresses of
Who's Who employees so if they get any mail or anything, Who's Who's
(hey, I like that) go into action.

Terry "Who is who?" Chan
INTERNET: twc...@lbl.gov BITNET: twc...@lbl.bitnet
"I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I
generalize, I don't care." -- Dave Barry

John P. Curcio

Aug 6, 1991, 10:31:31 AM8/6/91
In article <1991Aug5.1...@morrow.stanford.edu> an...@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Andy Michael USGS Guest) writes:
>Another source of non-existent roads are subdivisions that were never
>completed. We have a few roads like that in our neighborhood that make
>it onto every map of the area, even the non-copyrighted photo-corrected
>USGS topos.

I may be splitting hairs, but....

Even though the roads are not improved in these cases, they still do
exist. In order for the subdivision to be approved, the total layout
must be made available to the planning board. This is to make sure
that the developer is meeting the standards set for the area (road
width, traffic density, etc.). Therefore, the roads do officially
exist despite not being improved.

Why in God's name they are on a road map is beyond me-- on a road map,
I only want to see roads that I can travel....

-JPC

--
John P. Curcio Philips Laboratories
j...@philabs.philips.com 345 Scarborough Road

James Davis Nicoll

Aug 6, 1991, 3:10:40 PM8/6/91

I spent a fair chunk of my childhood on a farm in Southern Ontario.
Now, on the local maps, it was between two marked 'town-like objects',
Josephsburg and Bertlet's Corners. However, JB was just two roads crossing
with no notable local population concentration, and ditto for BC, *except*
BC had a (desanctified) ex-church and a small graveyard. We always figured
ther names were relics of communities that had died out for some reason
or another.

James Nicoll

Elizabeth Zaenger

Aug 6, 1991, 3:37:37 PM8/6/91
In article <1991Aug5.1...@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> sms...@melkor.lerc.nasa.gov (Rakesh Srivastava) writes:

>There was a news article on fake names of roads and cities on maps
>on 20/20 about 2 months ago. They showed on one of the Ohio maps,
>probably a AAA map two cities which were completely fake - one was
>named GOBLU and another was named BEATOSU.
>
>As an interesting side note, the reporter noted that the person who
>made these maps was an Indiana basketball fan, and the names should
>his support for his team -- Go Blue and Beat OSU.

No, No, No! These were on the Ohio portion of a map of the State of
Michigan, issued by the state of Michigan (in case your geography is bad,
Michigan and Ohio share a border). This was done at a time when
a rapid Univ of Michigan republican was involved in the state politics--
Peter Fletcher rings a bell--and he added these towns to Ohio because
of the great rivalry between U of M and OSU. I used to have one of these
maps, but alas, it is long gone now.

Andy Isbell

Aug 6, 1991, 3:40:06 PM8/6/91
gor...@aero.org (Kenneth J. Gordon) writes:

>Sorry to pick nits... (but not that sorry, or I wouldn't have
>posted :-)

>Go Blue is a University of Michigan slogan, and U-M/OSU is one of the
>longest running football rivalries in the country. Indianna team
>colors are red & white. In other words, I humbly submit that the
>mapmaker was a Michigan fan.

Not at all sorry to pick nits with nitpickers...

The University of Indiana's (only two n's) team colors are crimson
and cream, not red and white. For those of you who are wondering,
cream color (at least at IU) is a really pukey looking off-white.

Disclaimer: I don't even like Indiana University.

Andy Isbell isb...@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu

SEMINARS: From 'semi' and 'arse', hence, any half-assed discussion.

Stuart W. Marlatt

Aug 6, 1991, 5:40:09 PM8/6/91

Not only are mapmakers wont to include fictional towns on maps, but
renaming of existing features to suit the mapmakers mores or tastes
is also pretty common.

An example is Peance Creek (sp?), in the oil shale country of
western Colorado. Or so it appears on the USGS maps. The
original name was Piss Ant Creek...

In this decayed hole among the mountains
In the faint moonlight, the grass is singing
--T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

s.w. marlatt, <>< and *(:-)

Thomas Tilley

Aug 6, 1991, 11:49:59 AM8/6/91
In article <1991Aug5.2...@aero.org>, gor...@aero.org (Kenneth J. Gordon) writes:
> In article <1991Aug5.1...@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> sms...@melkor.lerc.nasa.gov (Rakesh Srivastava) writes:
> >
> >There was a news article on fake names of roads and cities on maps
> >on 20/20 about 2 months ago. They showed on one of the Ohio maps,
> >probably a AAA map two cities which were completely fake - one was
> >named GOBLU and another was named BEATOSU. They also showed a few fake

. . .

> >made these maps was an Indiana basketball fan, and the names should
> >his support for his team -- Go Blue and Beat OSU.

. . .

> Go Blue is a University of Michigan slogan, and U-M/OSU is one of the
> longest running football rivalries in the country. Indianna team

> colors are red & white. . . .

I do not know where the map on 20/20 came from, but I remember an article
that I read in the Flint (Mich) Journal in the 1970's which said that the
"official state highway map" for the state of Michigan (for some year in
the early 70's) had those two fake towns on it in the section of Ohio that
was shown on the Michigan map. I looked it up then, and the two "towns" were
there printed in all lower case letters with smaller type than used for any
of the real towns (I can't believe I remember this junk!). The story in the
Flint Journal said that the Highway Commisioner at the time (obviously a
University of Michigan fan) included the towns as a joke.

Tom.

Bruce E. Buck

Aug 7, 1991, 3:03:29 PM8/7/91
Now I have to wonder if some of the more "interesting" towns one sees on a map
are made up. Such as Swastika, NY which appears in the Adirondacks on some
maps but not others. Another is Bell Rock, Northwest Territories, Canada
which my Atlas tells me has a population of 1. I always wondered about Bell
Rock (pop. 1 ???). Now it kind of makes sense.

Claude Lucas

Aug 7, 1991, 6:09:48 PM8/7/91

i believe that i once saw on a map
a town called

Hog Fart, Arkansas.

claude

Richard Duggan

Aug 9, 1991, 3:23:07 PM8/9/91

Is it anywhere near Toad Suck, Arkansas? (A real town, mind you, about 6
miles north of Conway, I believe).

Rick

--
"Too new to have a real .signature"
dug...@eola.cs.ucf.edu

Anneliese Lilje

Aug 13, 1991, 4:52:53 PM8/13/91
In article <1991Aug9.1...@osceola.cs.ucf.edu> dug...@cs.ucf.edu (Richard Duggan) writes:
>In article <18...@scorn.sco.COM> cla...@sco.COM (Claude Lucas) writes:
>>
>>i believe that i once saw on a map
>>a town called
>>
>>Hog Fart, Arkansas.
>>
>>claude
>
>Is it anywhere near Toad Suck, Arkansas? (A real town, mind you, about 6
>miles north of Conway, I believe).

How about Sinpatch, New York?

tcli...@cc.curtin.edu.au

Aug 29, 1991, 5:16:01 AM8/29/91

Is that so? Well, I once travelled all around the autobahns in Germany,
and saw roadsigns to this town called "Aus Faht" darn near everywhere.

But damme if I ever saw the place.

Roger

Kevin D. Quitt

Aug 29, 1991, 6:12:30 PM8/29/91

I drove all over Beograd trying to find the "Yedno Meste" that all
those silly signs were pointing to. (What's really dumb is that I spoke
serbo-croatian well enough at the time to know that it meant "One Way" -
I just didn't think of trying to translate it).

And along the main highway, every city had an offramp for "Cacak
Gorode", which you also can't find ("center of town" - but I didn't fall
for that one).

--
_
Kevin D. Quitt srhqla!venus!kdq kdq%ve...@sr.com

96.37% of all statistics are made up.

Don Nichols (DoN.)

Aug 30, 1991, 9:34:09 PM8/30/91
In article <1991Aug29....@3D.com> k...@3D.com (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

[ ... ]

> I drove all over Beograd trying to find the "Yedno Meste" that all
>those silly signs were pointing to. (What's really dumb is that I spoke
>serbo-croatian well enough at the time to know that it meant "One Way" -
>I just didn't think of trying to translate it).

When I was in Guayaquil Ecuador (back around 1961), there were so
many "ONE WAY" streets that were explicit:

[ <- DOS VIAS -> ]

(Two ways) signs. They looked just like the standard USA "One-Way" signs,
except for a second arrowhead. (I don't know whether many other countries
use the same design for "One-Way" signs (except for language), but aparently
Yugoslavia doesn't, or you wouldn't have needed to pause and translate the
text.)

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.) | Voice (Days): (703) 664-1585 (Eves): (703) 938-4564
D&D Data | Email: <dnic...@ceilidh.beartrack.com>

Pekka J Taipale

Sep 2, 1991, 6:20:56 AM9/2/91

[discussion about one way street signs]

I was pretty astonished to find out how poor imagination the Germans
have. I mean, they don't have much ideas on how to name streets. When
I was in Munich, I noticed that almost half of all streets were called
Einbahnstrasse. What a stupid street name to have everywhere!

:-)

--
Pekka....@hut.fi "Where were you born?" -- "In St. Petersburg."
"Where did you grow up?" -- "In Petrograd."

Jamie R. McCarthy

Sep 2, 1991, 9:46:11 AM9/2/91
In article <PJT.91Se...@vipunen.hut.fi> p...@vipunen.hut.fi (Pekka J Taipale) writes:
>I was pretty astonished to find out how poor imagination the Germans
>have. I mean, they don't have much ideas on how to name streets. When
>I was in Munich, I noticed that almost half of all streets were called
>Einbahnstrasse. What a stupid street name to have everywhere!
>
>:-)

A German friend gets positively incensed that American street names are
all the same. She finds the perpetual re-use of Washington Street, Oak
Street, Park Street, and especially "n-th Street" to be a sign of the
decadence that's permeated American culture since the Revolution. I try
to tell her that it's a comfortable feeling to move to a new city and
have a decent chance of living on a street of the same name as the one
you left, but she doesn't buy it.
--
Jamie McCarthy k04...@kzoo.edu

Stephen Carter

Sep 3, 1991, 3:21:15 AM9/3/91
From article <1991Sep2.1...@hobbes.kzoo.edu>, by k04...@hobbes.kzoo.edu (Jamie R. McCarthy):

> In article <PJT.91Se...@vipunen.hut.fi> p...@vipunen.hut.fi (Pekka J Taipale) writes:
>>I was pretty astonished to find out how poor imagination the Germans
>>have. I mean, they don't have much ideas on how to name streets. When
>>I was in Munich, I noticed that almost half of all streets were called
>>Einbahnstrasse. What a stupid street name to have everywhere!
>>
>>:-)

I remember the mother of a friend being *VERY* impressed at how pious
the French were as a nation.

This is because most towns, as you approach them, have a signpost
'Pois Lourds' showinh the route to Lourdes for pilgrims :-)

Stephen Carter, Systems Manager, The Administration,
The University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RH, UK
Tel: +44 273 678203 Fax: +44 273 678335 JANET: ste...@uk.ac.sussex.syma
EARN/BITNET : ste...@syma.sussex.ac.uk UUCP: ste...@syma.uucp
ARPA/INTERNET: stevedc%syma.sus...@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

Hakon Styri

Sep 3, 1991, 5:55:30 AM9/3/91
In article <PJT.91Se...@vipunen.hut.fi>, p...@vipunen.hut.fi (Pekka J Taipale) writes:

|> [discussion about one way street signs]
|>
|> I was pretty astonished to find out how poor imagination the Germans
|> have. I mean, they don't have much ideas on how to name streets. When
|> I was in Munich, I noticed that almost half of all streets were called
|> Einbahnstrasse. What a stupid street name to have everywhere!

Reminds me of a trip around europe whith some friends. One of the guys wanted
to visit a local he knew, but he had some trouble finding the place. However,
he produced a note where he'd written the address last time he was there.
The street name was - Cul de Sac. :-)

But, back to the original thread. I've been to a place where they'd managed
to get the map-making guys to remove all access roads to and from the place
from the official maps. This was a private place, but somebody had managed to
arrange the map business through friends of a friend. The houses, however,
remain mapped.

--
Haakon "you're welcome, but you can't get there" Styri

Irving Chidsey

Sep 3, 1991, 1:47:47 PM9/3/91
<|>
<
<But, back to the original thread. I've been to a place where they'd managed
<to get the map-making guys to remove all access roads to and from the place
<from the official maps. This was a private place, but somebody had managed to
<arrange the map business through friends of a friend. The houses, however,
<remain mapped.
<
<Haakon "you're welcome, but you can't get there" Styri

There is a little town at the mouth of the Connecticut river,
( forget the name right now ) which is on the map, but you can't find it.
The closest signs are '5 miles to' and a very small notice at a parking
lot on the river bank that if the fishermen didn't keep it clean the town
would close it. The 'access' roads were un-signed except for one-way
signs with the arrows pointing out. Seemed to be effective, we spent a
few days visiting there and it was very quiet.

They decided, after the town was mostly built, to put in a golf
course. There was no place big enough, so they just put it in. There
was a sand trap in my brother's back yard that went with the putting green
in the yard next door.

Irv

--
I do not have signature authority. I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DA, the DOD, or the US Government

Phil Gustafson

Sep 3, 1991, 10:07:04 PM9/3/91
In article <1991Sep2.1...@hobbes.kzoo.edu> k04...@hobbes.kzoo.edu (Jamie R. McCarthy) writes:
>A German friend gets positively incensed that American street names are
>all the same. She finds the perpetual re-use of Washington Street, Oak
>Street, Park Street, and especially "n-th Street" to be a sign of the
>decadence that's permeated American culture since the Revolution.

When I first moved to California, I was astounded at the ubiquity of
"Frontage Road" as a street name. I mean, was Ralph Frontage an
important pioneer, or what?

--
|play: ph...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG; {ames|pyramid|vsi1}!zorch!phil |
|work: phil@gsi; sgi!gsi!phil | Phil Gustafson |

Richard Porter

Sep 4, 1991, 9:23:44 AM9/4/91
(Pekka J Taipale) writes:

>I was pretty astonished to find out how poor imagination the Germans
>have. I mean, they don't have much ideas on how to name streets. When
>I was in Munich, I noticed that almost half of all streets were called
>Einbahnstrasse. What a stupid street name to have everywhere!

>:-)

Reminds me of when I was in Holland. There were lots of direction signs to
Doorgand Verkeer but I never actually got there!

:-)

Richard Porter

Art Berggreen

Sep 4, 1991, 12:36:26 PM9/4/91
In article <1991Sep4.0...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> ph...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson) writes:
>When I first moved to California, I was astounded at the ubiquity of
>"Frontage Road" as a street name. I mean, was Ralph Frontage an
>important pioneer, or what?

Let's not overlook ALL of those places which have been given the same
name, "Vista Point".

Art

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Mike Allard

Sep 4, 1991, 5:24:30 PM9/4/91
In article <1991Sep4.0...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> ph...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson) writes:
>In article <1991Sep2.1...@hobbes.kzoo.edu> k04...@hobbes.kzoo.edu (Jamie R. McCarthy) writes:
>> [Stuff about n-th Street expunged]
>
> [Stuff about Frontage road expunged]

I hope I find the right thread here, guessing from the title.

In a recent U.S. atlas from a major respected road atlas publisher, I
happened to look at the map for the Chicagoland area, which is where I
lived for 12 years. Actually, I lived in Elk Grove Village, just NW of
O'Hare Airport. Anyhow, I was having fun picking out major roads and such,
when I came across something in the atlas I _know_ didn't exist.

Right there, at the SE corner of Higgins Road and Arlington Heights Road,
some clever mapmaker had inserted one of those little tiny circles (for a
town of less than 2,000 or something), and had given it the name of
"Smith's Corner."

Oh, the subtle joys of cartography... :-)

--
Mike Allard, Applied Computing Devices, Inc. *** Standard Disclaimer is in
KA9VDC <m...@acd4.acd.com> | <uunet!acd4!mja> *** effect. Nodoby agrees with

K. Khan

Sep 4, 1991, 5:05:28 PM9/4/91

In article <1991Sep4.0...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> ph...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson) writes:

>When I first moved to California, I was astounded at the ubiquity of
>"Frontage Road" as a street name. I mean, was Ralph Frontage an
>important pioneer, or what?

I think he was one of the original designers of the Interstate highway
system. After all, those streets that bear his name are often found
running parallel to an interstate highway (but only on those sections he
himself designed). According to a FOACW (Friend of a Construction
Worker), the section of interstate that Ralph designed can accomodate
traffic at up to 150 MPH safely. Sounds like a swell guy top me!! He
deserves to have all those streets named after him.

Brad Davis

Sep 5, 1991, 2:35:20 AM9/5/91
I received an excellent reply via email to my post about an apparently
fake "FBI Road". I thought it might be of interest to the rest of you
net.lurkers, and the author doesn't mind if I post it, so here goes:

bo...@spot.tv.tek.com (Bob Wakehouse) writes:
:In article <1991Aug19....@gss.com> you write:
:
:> A while back somebody noticed a possibly fake road in Washington County,
:> Oregon ("Half Ass Road") and I noted a second possibly bogus entry on the
:> same Thomas map ("FBI Road").
:
:The FBI RD is apparently an unintentional print error. Some of my older,
:other maps show FB1 RD and, nearby, FB2 RD.
:
:Typical road maps of the area are pretty much worthless, having been made
:somewhere around 1955 and simply "update" occasionally. But "update" means
:pencil in new roads. Old roads that haven't existed for decades still show
:up on most county maps, and Thomas Bros. And in the area of Half-Ass, the
:roads have changed so much that I`ve yet to find a map that bears all that
:much resemblence to reality.
:
:By the way, in the general area of Half-Ass and FB1, is a site called
:Timbuktu. I'm also kinda partial to Roaring Bypass Rd.

Random drivel from the keyboard of: +--+
Brad Davis, GSS Inc, Beaverton OR _________ -_--_ ________________|80|__
bradd@gssc (503) 671-8431 -- -- =o==o= -- -- -- -- +__+
Disclaimer: I claimed something? ----------------------------------||---
Just say NO to another five years of 55/65! Write your congressman ||
to urge that the NMSL be dropped from the 1991 transporation bill. ||

Mike Northam ext 2651

Sep 6, 1991, 3:42:07 PM9/6/91

Believe me, the _devil_ made me post this. And don't forget all those
exits leading to "Rest Area". (Sorry)
--
Mike Northam m...@fpssun.fps.com Home:123 11' 40"W 45 37' 14"N
(503) 641-3151 x2651 {ucsd|tektronix|sun}!fpssun!mbn

Derek LeLash

Sep 6, 1991, 10:38:20 PM9/6/91
Look, I don't want to be a wet blanket about this, and I think I appreciate a
good laugh more than anyone (except perhaps my wife, and Captain Johnson),
but please, if you're going to go to all the trouble of postingabout funny
road signs in German (or worse, Dutch), *please* include a translation for the
linguistically challenged. :-) Besides, this way you won't get followups
with nothing in them but "I don't get it."

thanks,
Derek

--
Derek LeLash, WOFM (tm LL) | "The reason I'm still [making records] is
de...@netcom.com 408-739-5526 | me where the studio door is."
| -- Stevie Wonder

Sam Wilson

Sep 9, 1991, 7:14:01 AM9/9/91
Wen I was little I went to Germany on a school trip. We could never
find Ausfahrt on the map, even though it must be a very important place -
it's signposted from almost every autobahn junction!

Ger: ausfahrt = Eng: exit, but you can imagine what fun we schoolboys
had saying it!

Sam

Phil OKunewick

Sep 9, 1991, 6:22:56 PM9/9/91

Ever been to Exact Change, New Jersey? It's right off the Garden
State Parkway.

Robert White

Sep 10, 1991, 3:38:17 AM9/10/91
According to m...@hw1.fps.com (Mike Northam ext 2651) :

>Believe me, the _devil_ made me post this. And don't forget all those
>exits leading to "Rest Area". (Sorry)

Just west of the Glenwood Canyon (Colorado) amazing engineering feet (tm)
on Interstate 70 is an exit for the little town of "No Name, Colorado".
I kid you not.

Other interesting trivia: Further east on I-70 is a town called Dotsero.
You'd think the name of Mexican-American origin right? Wrong! According to
my Colorado history book, it is located at "Dot Zero" on a survey map.
(Obligatory Geological Relevance: There is a nifty cinder cone, one of the few
in Colorado, just a few miles from Dotsero. It was mined extensively
for Pumice) Horrible ugly mining scars, but interesting nonetheless.

Nifty Field Trip Idea: Took a drive up Colorado State Highway 141 the
other day and discovered the fantastic canyon of the Dolores River. This
is probably one of the most scenic and least known areas of Colorado -- from
Dove Creek to Naturita, Gateway, and finally Grand Junction. Towering cliffs
of Wingate and Navajo Sandstone. A complete smorgasboard of layercake geology.
From Gateway to Grand Junction the valley
is way too big for the tiny creek that now inhabits it. It is believed that
either the Grand (Colorado) or the Gunnison created this valley at some point.

--
[o] Robert C. White, Jr. [o]
[o] [o]

Stuart W. Marlatt

Sep 12, 1991, 6:35:45 PM9/12/91
In article <14...@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM> r...@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) writes:

>Just west of the Glenwood Canyon (Colorado) amazing engineering feet (tm)
>on Interstate 70 is an exit for the little town of "No Name, Colorado".
>I kid you not.

In fact, there are a number of 'No Name' (canyons, streams, summits, etc)
in Colorado. Probably in other states as well, but I can only think of
a few I've seen on CO maps.

>Other interesting trivia: Further east on I-70 is a town called Dotsero.
>You'd think the name of Mexican-American origin right? Wrong! According to
>my Colorado history book, it is located at "Dot Zero" on a survey map.
>(Obligatory Geological Relevance: There is a nifty cinder cone, one of the few
>in Colorado, just a few miles from Dotsero. It was mined extensively
>for Pumice) Horrible ugly mining scars, but interesting nonetheless.

The Malpais lava flow could well be named for the trailer park there, but
I think the nomeclature went the other way round. Truly, a fascinating
flow, however - fairly recent, and piled up clinkers where it ran into
the Colorado river. Must of been something to see at the time.

>Nifty Field Trip Idea: Took a drive up Colorado State Highway 141 the
>other day and discovered the fantastic canyon of the Dolores River. This
>is probably one of the most scenic and least known areas of Colorado -- from
>Dove Creek to Naturita, Gateway, and finally Grand Junction. Towering cliffs
>of Wingate and Navajo Sandstone. A complete smorgasboard of layercake geology.

Don't forget the towering cliffs of oil shale, white where the oil has
evaporated out of the outer couple mm.

Tenants of the house
Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry month.
--T.S. Eliot, Gerontion