Japan's 9.0 Tohoku-Oki Earthquake: Surprising Findings About Energy Distribution Over Fault Slip and Stress Accumulation

charles

May 20, 2011, 2:10:15 AM5/20/11

ScienceDaily (May 20, 2011) — When the magnitude 9.0 Tohoku-Oki
earthquake and resulting tsunami struck off the northeast coast of
Japan on March 11, they caused widespread destruction and death. Using
observations from a dense regional geodetic network (allowing
measurements of earth movement to be gathered from GPS satellite
data), globally distributed broadband seismographic networks, and
open-ocean tsunami data, researchers have begun to construct numerous
models that describe how the earth moved that day.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110519141622.htm

Weatherlawyer

May 21, 2011, 9:25:37 AM5/21/11

It isn't possible to have subduction and obduction and massive earth
movements fast enough to cause tidal waves. Not as long as action and
reaction are equal and opposite.

A far more likely scnario is that acoustic properties of winds over
mountains cause the original noise, the vibration starts of a beat
that carries around the eath in a rossby wave function and arrives at
the right place from a variety of places at just the right time to
arrange a superflux the equivalent of a super wave at sea.

This could cause a strike a nd also expalin the lack of tidal waves
generally.

The system would require that the earth has strata, which it does, a
range of mountains ditto and that the dates of severe seismic events
coincide with suitable weather patterns which it just so happen that
it does so too, neither.

A simple table top experiment shows the mechanism:
Place a magazine open at the middle central pages down.

This represents the mountain range or one of them. The acoustiv effect
is a free oscillation at or near the spine just pap the magazine.

As you will see the magzine tends to move. Since the mountain can not
move far and it also moves back depending on the application of sound,
the motion is converted back into sound at the mountain root.

Some time later it all hits the proverbial.

This would explain the delay in the train too. Something I am still
trying to suss.
(The stuff that results in the Aleutians and in Chile when a suitable
Low or High leaves the Americas around Cape Hatteras is pretty nigh
instantaneous. But given the extra-ordinary magnitude of a super-
cyclone and its attendant super-anticyclone, the delay to a severe
quake is more often than not a number of days.)

Still, thanks for the link I will read it later.

Skywise

May 21, 2011, 4:51:36 PM5/21/11
Weatherlawyer <weathe...@gmail.com> wrote in news:6b092c0f-e3c6-4d45-
a4ac-258...@28g2000yqu.googlegroups.com:

> It isn't possible to have subduction and obduction and massive earth
> movements fast enough to cause tidal waves.

Oh really?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?