Blocking Lows

1 view

Weatherlawyer

Sep 27, 2011, 8:04:05 PM9/27/11
I have previously mooted the likelihood of Blocking Lows. Well here is
an example of them setting up over this recently started weather
spell:

> http://www.woksat.info/etctiasxx/asxx11092718.html

Opera is playing the fool at the moment so I can't show you the
picture on here yet.

>http://my.opera.com/Weatherlawyer/blog/2011/09/26/mage-shool-101-2?cid=71154572#comment71154572

There is going to be an whole series of them on the above site.
Here:
> http://www.woksat.info/etctiasxx/indextiasxx.html and through into October (not up yet, obviously.)

As it happens although I have only imagined they exist until just now;
it turns out I already know what they do.

Blocking Highs signal massive earthquakes. Blocking lows signal...
Well, see it for yourselves:

> http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/weakened-tropical-storm-ophelia-could-make-comeback-2056/

With an anticyclone spell due and especially if that goes pear shaped,
things could wind up well.

Remember folks, you heard it here first.

You all come back now you Hera.

There are 6 active systems as of 27 Sep, 2011 23:42 GMT

> http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

It might be worth checking out Eric Habich's site too:

> http://satellite.ehabich.info/index_6.html

Now to see if I can locate the other blocking lows for a bit of
climatologigation.

You never know.

Weatherlawyer

Sep 28, 2011, 6:46:53 AM9/28/11
On Sep 28, 1:04 am, Weatherlawyer <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are 6 active systems as of 27 Sep, 2011 23:42 GMT
>
> >http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/
>
> It might be worth checking out Eric Habich's site too:
>
> >http://satellite.ehabich.info/index_6.html
>
> You never know.

What i do know is that you are all waiting with baited breath to hear
what the great mage is going to come up with next.

Sadly it was some other prat:
> http://my.opera.com/Weatherlawyer/blog/2011/09/26/mage-shool-101-2?cid=71180632#comment71180632

He sent me two stunning links with this message:

"This things been hoverin over my house for a couple days, Its quite
striking."

Boy, I'll say:

.
> http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/satimg/GERVISIR.JPG

Now don't you all rush over there staight away and down their server,
it's already at full stretch, thank you very much.

Head on over to this loservilla
> http://groups.google.com/group/uk.sci.weather/browse_thread/thread/f7316b40edc9dd60/1e8383198f10b104#1e8383198f10b104 and discuss how much you wish you could stick your head in the sand and you arse in the sky where it belongs.

...To any passing stranger.

Graham P Davis

Sep 28, 2011, 8:52:27 AM9/28/11
On 28/09/11 11:46, Weatherlawyer wrote:
> What i do know is that you are all waiting with baited breath to hear
> what the great mage is going to come up with next.

What bait do you use?

Weatherlawyer

Sep 30, 2011, 11:37:57 AM9/30/11
Whatever it was that got you out of the water, I wouldn't swallow it
myself.
How come you took me out of your killfile?
Do you like men who write you poetry?

Off on another track entirely:

When my computer broke the other day I took it into the shop and was
just in time to catch a comment about a mining disaster. Nice timing
an all that.
Earlier this week, Gerry Gibson, 49, died at Kellingley after a roof
fall.

> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2043770/Coal-firm-owns-colliery-miner-died-court-earlier-death-worker-pit.html#ixzz1ZRxsuBZa

Has their been the complicit Mag 7?
There doesn't apear to be, there isn't anything over a 5.6 M.

What on earth is brooding?
(Or what in earth is, perhaps?)

Weatherlawyer

Oct 1, 2011, 10:49:16 AM10/1/11
Records are breakin in Britain as I speak, no easy feet with only a
keyboard to speak with, I assure you.

A Blocking Low is the sort of weather that is very unpleasant to the
natives after noon.

The nights are too hot and humid too.

More later.

Weatherlawyer

Oct 9, 2011, 8:35:06 PM10/9/11

Desultory affairs neath the ground atmosphecal ones unbound.

Rex someone or other defined the:

Rex Block... a blocking pattern that occurs along or near the West
Coast of the United States.
With two adjacent highs and lows, the most impressive will have a
strong low pressure next to a strong high pressure. (That figures, was
he promoted for that?)

The high pressure will be located in a generally north direction from
the low pressure. The low associated with the Rex Block is not
completely cut-off from the upper level flow, but does have little
east-west movement.

Strong ridging north of the low causes the airflow to move from high
latitudes to low latitudes with little comparable west-east movement
of the air. The airflow pattern follows a backward "S" trajectory. In
the example image, air flowing into the West Coast of Canada then
flows south into the Pacific off the Mexican West Coast. Once the flow
leaves the Rex Block, it can finally make some significant progress to
the east. An example diagram of the Rex Block is shown:

> http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/178/

[I wonder how he missed the relationship with N/S systems and tornadic
cells.
I suppose it takes all sorts.]

*******

The Omega Block = L-H-L.
Air over the Southwest U.S. is forced to the north into Canada and
then back south into the Southeast U.S. by the huge high-pressure
ridge in the center of the country. The high pressure covers such a
broad latitude that the west to east air flow has difficulty going
around the high.

[Why doesn't it just go TO the high?]

...The region under the omega block experiences dry weather and light
wind for an extended period of time while rain and clouds are common
in association with the two troughs on either side of the omega block.
Omega blocks make forecasting easier since you can pinpoint areas that
will be dominated by dry or rainy weather for several days. The right
side of the omega block will have below normal temperatures (due to
CAA) while the region to the left will have above normal temperatures
(due to WAA.)

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/144/

kolldata

Oct 11, 2011, 10:39:15 PM10/11/11
the greater global transverse fault opened again following Honshu to
Alaska, circum-Pacific but not SA or Costa Rica, leading to a Cal
transverse fault prediction ahhhh but not fast enough. Finally Costa
Rica and SA with the next flow over Asia and now another opening for
the mid- global tranverse fault.

How's that work out weatherwise ? Doesn't happen every fall. Still
transverse fault season.

I may have missed something.I'm trying to get time to write this down.

Interesting that predicting was too slow for USGS reality. I would
predict then lookit the map....already happened.

I was camped on a cliff when the last Vancouver quake went off, cliff
in Washington off US 12 went up sideays and down again. On a drive up
to Cle Elum checking water levels for canoeing the Yakima, road
surface over a wet area at the Teanaway River was quake cracked, not 3
days earlier.

Road quakes are excellent evidence. Fun. bump bump bump...

Weatherlawyer

Oct 13, 2011, 5:44:02 AM10/13/11
On Oct 12, 3:39 am, kolldata <datak...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was camped on a cliff when the last Vancouver quake went off, cliff
> in Washington off US 12 went up sideways and down again.

Ah. Thank you for explaining. I was wondering.

Weatherlawyer

Oct 26, 2011, 10:37:53 AM10/26/11
On Oct 1, 3:49 pm, Weatherlawyer <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Now is then:

Nine die in Italy downpours

(AFP) – 1 hour ago

ROME — Bridges were swept away and villages hit by mudslides and
floodwater in Italy's Tuscany and Liguria regions on Wednesday during
torrential downpours that killed nine, officials and reports said.

Up to 500 millimetres (20 inches) of rain fell in just a few hours
overnight Tuesday to Wednesday, according to weather reports.

Five people were reported missing.

The areas worst hit were the Spezia region and the picturesque Five
Lands tourist destination, where seven people -- including a first aid
worker -- died. Two bodies were also recovered from a mountainous part
of northern Tuscany.

A 50-year-old woman and an elderly couple from the village of
Borghetto were swept to their deaths in a river of mud, according to
authorities in La Spezia.

Another young woman was swept along for over a kilometre but was later
found exhausted and in a state of shock.

The situation was becoming serious, said the leader of Liguria's first
aid and rescue service, Renata Briano, "especially since we don't have
any news of what is happening in some isolated areas."

The director of Italy's first aid and rescue service, Franco
Gabrielli, said: "Right now the priority is getting to people before
nightfall."

Authorities were "working to get basic services back on as in some
areas

there was no electricity, water, gas and communications are
difficult," he said.

Among the lucky ones were two tourists who were found safe and sound
after having been reported missing from Vernazza, one of the five
villages that make up the Five Lands.

Inhabitants in Borgetto Vara and Brugnato were rescued by monks in a
nearby monastery who provided shelter to around 30 people, feeding
them and giving them dry clothes.

As further rain hampered rescue work, local authorities asked
residents not to go out or to use private cars.

"All this happened in just a few minutes, it's shocking," said a local
member of the civil protection agency at the site of a landslide which
devastated the town of Aulla, where 300 people took refuge overnight
in a gym.

The bad weather was expected to spread to the rest of Italy on
Wednesday, and Rome's Mayor Gianni Alemanno placed firemen and rescue
services on alert though the capital appeared mid morning to have
escaped the worst of the rain.

Five days ago Rome was paralysed by a violent storm that flooded the
city, halting public transport and forcing many Romans to stay
indoors.

Such a system also affects SW France in the Vaucluse region, IIRC. It
seems to have done a pretty good job everywhere else too.

> http://www.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&q=floods

*******

Massive Volcanic Eruption in Indonesia. Not many dead.

A volcano in central Indonesia has erupted, spewing hot smoke and ash
thousands of feet into the air. There were no immediate reports of
injuries or damage.

Mount Lokon, located on northern Sulawesi island, had been dormant for
years before rumbling back to life several months ago.
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/26/mount-lokon-volcano-erupts-indonesia_n_1032303.html

Weatherlawyer

Oct 30, 2011, 8:24:30 PM10/30/11
> >http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/26/mount-lokon-volcano-erupts-i...

I just posted this in my blog:

Now before I continue...

I did know about the destructive storm systems recently:
FLOODING IN CENTRAL AMERICA AND MEXICO
Severe flooding struck southern Mexico and Central America in the
autumn of 2011.
* http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=76216&src=nha
*** MODIS(Terra) image from Oct 23, 2011 (Posted on Oct 24, 2011 9:08
AM)

FLOODING IN NORTHERN INDIA
Flooding struck multiple rivers in the Indian state of Bihar in early
October 2011.
* http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=76207&src=nha
*** ALI(EO-1) image from Oct 09, 2011 (Posted on Oct 20, 2011 5:38 PM)

FLOODING IN SOUTHERN PAKISTAN
Heavy rains caused floods in southern Pakistan in early September
2011.
* http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=76159&src=nha
*** MODIS(Terra) image from Oct 17, 2011 (Posted on Oct 18, 2011 11:21
AM)

FLOODING IN SOUTHEAST ASIA
Cyclones and heavy monsoon rains triggered unusually severe seasonal
flooding across Southeast Asia.
* http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=76212&src=nha
*** MODIS(Aqua) image from Oct 18, 2011 (Posted on Oct 20, 2011 6:59
PM)
* http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=76204&src=nha
*** MODIS(Terra) image from Oct 19, 2011 (Posted on Oct 20, 2011 4:50
PM) From http://naturalhazards.nasa.gov/

From:
http://naturalhazards.nasa.gov/
(Direct to your inbox if you are interested.)

And of course I am aware that when my tacky electronic stuff breaks
down there is usually a severe jolt in store.

So whatever it is, stand by your sets.

Take a look at this little lot:
http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm#t0b

I have pasted them into my other computer (i.e. this one) and will
give them their own thread, not just to do them justice but because
they will require a thread starter to upload images.

A PITA but think how much easier this sort of thing is since the mid
1980's.

I'd been having problems technological; still am. Too much of an
caveman to go into details.

Anyway seeing as it isn't as cold as could be but rather a certain
person here has called the shots for warm weather(ish) (unless you
count North America, in which case I got it right - but I don't so I
can't.)
Hmmm....
BTAIM; There is more of this stuff. Fine or wet it pass its debt.

kolldata

Oct 30, 2011, 8:34:48 PM10/30/11
BLOCKING LOWS START a Nina Cycle ?
also recurrence of Tranverse Quakes Flow
for me it was first: the salmon run then with your Blocking Lows,
second: temps for wintering areas near Yuma dropped from over 100/108
to 88 with concurrent Late Fall flowing over the Great North West.
Cards beat Rangers......cool enough.

Weatherlawyer

Oct 31, 2011, 4:46:30 AM10/31/11
As usual I have no idea what you are talking about.
Which I suppose is only reasonable.

They are not my blocking lows but the effect of severe weather in more
southerly climes.
The presently accepted theories about the cause of weather is so lame
it is impossible for reasonable people to follow me at the moment.

It is disheartening to find you dogging me though, I think I would
rather have Dawlish and Skywise.
At least they don't know what they are not talking about. I have never
been sure of anything about you. (Which is why I haven't gotten around
to insulting you yet. Is that possible?)

Weatherlawyer

Oct 31, 2011, 5:10:40 AM10/31/11
Interesting quake on Rat Island:
6.0 M. 2011/10/31 07:16 52.4N. 177.8 E. RAT ISLANDS,
ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA

6 is quite an high score for that region but look at the direction it
came from. On the accompanying map there are several in the series
from around the 25th to the 28th two of which are in the mid 5's, also
significant.

I am quite content now that precursors are in fact storm driven. All I
need to do nw is check out the weather for around CapeHatteras.
(Yes I know there was a nurricane. But what else was in the mix,
dopey?)

Skywise

Nov 2, 2011, 10:39:31 PM11/2/11
Flattery will get you nowhere, Mike.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Weatherlawyer

Nov 26, 2011, 6:42:21 AM11/26/11
On Nov 3, 2:39 am, Skywise <i...@oblivion.nothing.com> wrote:
> Flattery will get you nowhere, Mike.

:~)
It looks like there is more on the table for those who have already
had a plateful.

http://my.opera.com/Weatherlawyer/blog/2011/11/25/25th-november-2011-quite-a-spell?cid=75616802#comment75616802

Just off to look at the Tornado reports for the preceding. Nothing
showing so far but I neglected them for the other stuff.

Without a Greenland High, US tornadoes are unlikely.

Weatherlawyer

Nov 28, 2011, 8:02:47 PM11/28/11
On Nov 26, 11:42 am, Weatherlawyer <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2:39 am, Skywise <i...@oblivion.nothing.com> wrote:
>
> > Flattery will get you nowhere, Mike.
>
> :~)
> It looks like there is more on the table for those who have already
> had a plateful.
>
> http://my.opera.com/Weatherlawyer/blog/2011/11/25/25th-november-2011-...
>
> Just off to look at the Tornado reports for the preceding. Nothing
> showing so far but I neglected them for the other stuff.
>
> Without a Greenland High, US tornadoes are unlikely.

And so it proved.

However there are a couple of posts on UK.sci.weather reporting a warm
front at mdnight.

I still have a blocking low going on in the northern hemisphere but
have reconsidered my POV regarding earthquakes:

http://my.opera.com/Weatherlawyer/blog/2011/11/25/25th-november-2011-quite-a-spell?cid=75838032#comment75838032

Suppose that earthquakes behave exactly the same way that weather
does.

If that is the case then they will be subject to the weather's
hemisphere laws.

There has been considerable contusion around Antarctica and such
bruising tends to produce clots. Not being one myself I could sit back
and think about it.

It certainly fits the pictures. All of them.

Weatherlawyer

Nov 30, 2011, 8:19:03 PM11/30/11
On Nov 29, 1:02 am, Weatherlawyer <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 11:42 am, Weatherlawyer <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 3, 2:39 am, Skywise <i...@oblivion.nothing.com> wrote:
>
> > > Flattery will get you nowhere, Mike.
>
> > :~)
> > It looks like there is more on the table for those who have already
> > had a plateful.
>
> >http://my.opera.com/Weatherlawyer/blog/2011/11/25/25th-november-2011-...
>
> > Just off to look at the Tornado reports for the preceding. Nothing
> > showing so far but I neglected them for the other stuff.
>
> > Without a Greenland High, US tornadoes are unlikely.
>
> And so it proved.
>
> However there are a couple of posts on UK.sci.weather reporting a warm
> front at mdnight.
>
> I still have a blocking low going on in the northern hemisphere but
> have reconsidered my POV regarding earthquakes:
>
> http://my.opera.com/Weatherlawyer/blog/2011/11/25/25th-november-2011-...
>
> Suppose that earthquakes behave exactly the same way that weather
> does.
>
> If that is the case then they will be subject to the weather's
> hemisphere laws.
>
> There has been considerable contusion around Antarctica and such
> bruising tends to produce clots. Not being one myself I could sit back
> and think about it.
>
> It certainly fits the pictures. All of them.

I have just plotted the major earthquakes ofr this spell so far and
found a surprising result.

1. Seven of them are on a Thirteen degree arc, centred just off the
coast of South Korea.

2. Thirteen degrees is the same arc that describes Australia. I wrote
a blog about that about an year ago.

3. The Mayanmar/China quake is just off the arc by a couple or so
degrees.

4. Six of them (five + the Mayanmar one) are on a perfectly straight
line running at a tangent to that arc making a P shape. (q shaped
actually but a capital Q isn't the same.)

5. The Svalbard quake is about 90 degrees from the centre of the
circular set.

6. The Svalbard quake runs in a straight line through the Japanese
quake to one in the middle of Papua New Guinea.

7. The Svalbard quake is ninety degrees from the Ascension Island
quake.

8. The three remaining quakes (South and Central America) are on a
similar arc to the other one (just over thirteen degrees this time)
with the centre about the same distance from Svalbard.

The distances are very approximate as the quakes occurred in clumps -
as is the way with such things.

I find this stuff fascinating.