Alex Oops

Weatherlawyer

Jun 27, 2010, 12:39:46 AM6/27/10
From Google News:
Tropical Storm Alex makes landfall in Belize
Reuters India - Gerardo Garcia, Jose Cortazar - ‎9 minutes ago‎<<<<
Palm trees move in the wind as a man walks on the shore in Chetumal
June 26, 2010. By Gerardo Garcia CHETUMAL Mexico (Reuters) - Tropical
Storm Alex made landfall in Belize Saturday night, dumping showers on
northern Guatemala and the Yucatan Peninsula ...
Tropical Storm Alex soaks Belize, Mexico's Yucatan The Associated
Press
Tropical storm threatens BP oil slick clean-up Telegraph.co.uk
BusinessWeek - Los Angeles Times - Press Herald - AFP
all 3,323 news articles

http://news.google.com/news/section?pz=1&cf=all&ned=uk&topic=w&ict=ln

++

If you allow 2 hours for the NEIC to look at the data from that and
compare significant earthquakes fror the time coincidents, you get a
picture of the convergence/divergence thing.

Current data:
Current Storms:

Type Name Date Time Lat Lon Wind Tracking
Charts
---- ----- ---------- -------- ----- ------ -------
---------------
STO ALEX 2010-06-26 15:00 UT 17.7N 088.4W 050 kts ALEX
Atlantic NE Pacific
STO CELIA 2010-06-26 15:00 UT 15.8N 122.7W 055 kts CELIA NE
Pacific
STO DARBY 2010-06-26 15:00 UT 13.5N 103.0W 060 kts DARBY
Atlantic NE Pacific

At 2010-06-26 15:00 UT, ALEX was 117 nmi NNW of Puerto Cortes,
Honduras and 178 nmi SE of Campeche, Mexico
At 2010-06-26 15:00 UT, CELIA was 839 nmi WSW of Cabo San Lucas,
Mexico and 1021 nmi WSW of Mazatlan, Mexico
At 2010-06-26 15:00 UT, DARBY was 267 nmi SW of Acapulco, Mexico and
449 nmi SSE of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

http://www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/tropical.html

Update time = Sun Jun 27 4:24:10 UTC 2010

2010/06/27
4.3 03:52 54.0 -164.5 UNIMAK ISLAND REGION, ALASKA
4.6 03:12 -38.1 -75.2 OFF THE COAST OF ARAUCANIA, CHILE
3.0 00:50 32.4 -115.6 BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
3.3 00:18 32.6 -115.9 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
3.0 00:12 60.1 -140.6 SOUTHERN YUKON TERRITORY, CANADA

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html

Weatherlawyer

Jun 27, 2010, 2:24:09 AM6/27/10
> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all....

Deeper than it seems.

A deep low over the UK formed in 24 hours around 1 Nov 2009:
Explosively deepening low, 1 Nov 2009, an analysis
http://www.woksat.info/wwp/Low01nov09.pdf

So I looked up significant quakes on the US database:

Magnitude 6.5 OFFSHORE TARAPACA, CHILE November 13, 2009
Magnitude 7.3 FIJI November 09, 2009
Magnitude 6.6 SUMBAWA REGION, INDONESIA November 08, 2009
Magnitude 6.8 RYUKYU ISLANDS, JAPAN October 30, 2009

Which is to say: Not!

I wonder what happened instead. Was it a well forecast event -or
rather, was the general trend expected? If so, no significant
earthquake. But surely something coincided?

What storms occurred in the tropics I wonder?

Tropical Storm Mirinae kills 90 in Vietnam

Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Vietnam
Other stories from Vietnam
27 December 2009: Vietnam record drug seizure suspects convicted
21 November 2009: Vietnam denies blocking social networking site
Facebook
4 November 2009: Tropical Storm Mirinae kills 90 in Vietnam
1 October 2009: Typhoon Ketsana reaches Cambodia; up to eleven people
killed
30 September 2009: At least 22 dead after typhoon hits Vietnam
...More articles here
Location of Vietnam

To write, edit, start or view other articles on Vietnam, see the
Vietnam Portal

Vietnamese media reported on Wednesday that at least 90 people have
been killed after Tropical Storm Mirinae passed through the country.
Another 22 people were reported to be missing.

According to Vietnam News, the storm completely destroyed 154 houses,
damaged 2,500 others, and flooded 1,800 hectares of farmland. Some
dikes in the Phu Yen province were overloaded with water, further
exacerbating the damage.

Around 2,000 soldiers were dispatched to assist with rescue efforts,
and local authorities had asked for food aid from the government.

The Vietnamese disaster committee said that "it's the most devastating
flooding in more than 30 years in Phu Yen."

Two people were also killed by Mirinae in neigbouring Cambodia, and a
further 27 in the Philippines.

Let's hope they didn't die in vain.

Weatherlawyer

Jul 1, 2010, 2:36:39 AM7/1/10
Nothing largwer than a 5 M. so far. More storms on the way!

Dawlish

Jul 1, 2010, 2:49:02 AM7/1/10
On Jul 1, 7:36 am, Weatherlawyer <weatherlaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nothing largwer than a 5 M. so far. More storms on the way!

Nice prediction. The Northern hemisphere hurricane season and main
convective season are both under way. I'll second that prescience of
storms somewhere in half of the world, sometime soon.

I don't think, however, we can count this one towards possibly
changing your 14% success rate. The prediction is a little lacking in
detail, don't you think?