Oil Addicts are Bombing the Arctic with HEAT equal to 1,000 Nukes

Al Beato His Meato@Exxon.Stoodge.com http://snipurl.com/wozg

Sep 25, 2006, 12:34:42 AM9/25/06
Oil Addicts are Bombing the Arctic with HEAT equal to 1,000 Nukes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaton
A megaton of TNT is 4.184 в 1015 joules = 4.184 petajoules (PJ).

96,126,250,000 Megajoules of HEAT = 22.97 Megatons of TNT.

This energy is equal to 637 times the pair of atomic bombs
dropped on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined
(15.08e13 Joules).

--vvvvvvvvvvvv-- previously posted --vvvvvvvvvvvv--

96,126,250,000 Megajoules of HEAT melted the Arctic Sea Ice. PART 1
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.environment/msg/5d99bb4388b76732?hl=en&
http://snipurl.com/x2i9

Two news reports with usable data...

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=519469&category=NATIONAL&BCCode=HOME&newsdat
e=9/23/2006
http://snipurl.com/x2fa

Ice cap 'lake' raises concern
Melted section in Arctic seen as bellwether for effects of global warming

... 38,000 square miles ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17750782&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=hole-in-the-pole--
name_page.
html http://snipurl.com/x2ft
HOLE IN THE POLE
Huge ice melt in 12 months

THE North Pole ice cap shrank by an area the size of England and France in
just 12 months.

Satellite pictures reveal a huge melt in the Arctic Ocean north of Europe
and Russia between December 21, 2004 and a year later.

In all, 280,000 square miles or 14 per cent of the permanent ice mass (the
white area, above) was lost - 20 times the yearly average. It was replaced
by thinner seasonal ice (blue area).

Scientists are urgently trying to establish if this is a new trend.

They are concerned because the three-metre thick ice would not normally
melt in summer. Unusual wind patterns pushing the ice out of the Arctic
may be a cause but temperatures in the region are rising twice as fast of
the global average.

Nasa's Dr Son Nghiem called the changes "rapid, dramatic and enormous".
The 7ft-thick seasonal ice is more likely to melt in summer with serious
environmental implications.

-----------

Assuming two facts...

(1) 38,000 square miles.
(2) 3-meter thick ice permanent ice.

... as givens, then a 1st approximation calculation of heat energy input
can be computed.

Converting 38,000 miles^2 to kilometers^2 = 98,420 square kilometers.

We might as well round up to 100,000 kilometers^2 for easier math.

100,000 kilometers^2 = 100,000,000 square meters surface area

100,000,000 m^2 x 3 meters deep = 300,000,000 cubic meters = 3e8 m^3.

3e8 m^3 = 3e14 CC = 300,000,000,000,000 cubic centimeters.

Each CC requires 79.72 calories per gram of heat energy to melt ice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_enthalpy_change_of_fusion
Reference Values
The heat of fusion of water is
79.72 calories per gram

Ice is 4% less dense than water, so the volume of ice is
288,000,000,000,000 grams or 2.88e14 grams.

The heat energy required to melt the ice is 2.295936e16 calories.

2.295936e16 calories = 26701.74 gigawatt-hours of heat energy
2.295936e16 calories = 9.11101e+013 BTUs = 91,110,100,000,000 BTU
2.295936e16 calories = 9.612625e+010 megajoules = 96,126,250,000 MJ

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 26, 2006, 1:00:19 AM9/26/06
In sci.environment, Al Beato His Me...@Exxon.Stoodge.com http://snipurl.com/wozg
<Exxon_Seri...@RacketeersR.US>
wrote
on Mon, 25 Sep 2006 04:34:42 GMT
<Xns9848DB3E944D4cl...@207.115.17.102>:

> Oil Addicts are Bombing the Arctic with HEAT equal to 1,000 Nukes.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaton
> A megaton of TNT is 4.184 в 1015 joules = 4.184 petajoules (PJ).
>
> 96,126,250,000 Megajoules of HEAT = 22.97 Megatons of TNT.
>
> This energy is equal to 637 times the pair of atomic bombs
> dropped on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined
> (15.08e13 Joules).

Pedant Point:

The global heating is a power discrepancy -- more Sunlight
in than radiant waste heat out. What time interval are
you referring to in this 22.97 Megatons of TNT?

Is this per hour, per day, per year?

> --vvvvvvvvvvvv-- previously posted --vvvvvvvvvvvv--
>
> 96,126,250,000 Megajoules of HEAT melted the Arctic Sea Ice. PART 1
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.environment/msg/5d99bb4388b76732?hl=en&
> http://snipurl.com/x2i9
>
> Two news reports with usable data...
>
> http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=519469&category=NATIONAL&BCCode=HOME&newsdat
> e=9/23/2006
> http://snipurl.com/x2fa
>
> Ice cap 'lake' raises concern
> Melted section in Arctic seen as bellwether for effects of global warming
>
> ... 38,000 square miles ...
>
> http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17750782&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=hole-in-the-pole--
> name_page.
> html http://snipurl.com/x2ft
> HOLE IN THE POLE
> Huge ice melt in 12 months

Ah. 22.97 Megatons TNT/year, then. Fair enough.

Of course, all this power does add up -- and ultimately there will be
no more ice to melt.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

The Ghoul in the Machine@syphallis.sores.pus

Sep 26, 2006, 1:47:35 AM9/26/06
The Ghost In The Machine <ew...@sirius.tg00suus7038.net> wrote in

> In sci.environment, Al Beato His Me...@Exxon.Stoodge.com
> http://snipurl.com/wozg <Exxon_Seri...@RacketeersR.US>
> wrote
> on Mon, 25 Sep 2006 04:34:42 GMT
> <Xns9848DB3E944D4cl...@207.115.17.102>:
>> Oil Addicts are Bombing the Arctic with HEAT equal to 1,000 Nukes.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaton
>> A megaton of TNT is 4.184 в 1015 joules = 4.184 petajoules (PJ).
>>
>> 96,126,250,000 Megajoules of HEAT = 22.97 Megatons of TNT.
>>
>> This energy is equal to 637 times the pair of atomic bombs
>> dropped on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined
>> (15.08e13 Joules).
>
> Pedant Point:
>
> The global heating is a power discrepancy -- more Sunlight
> in than radiant waste heat out. What time interval are
> you referring to in this 22.97 Megatons of TNT?
>
> Is this per hour, per day, per year?

Always happy to help the handicapped math-impaired republicans...

We just passed the equinox. It will be six months before the fabled
6-month daylight of the Arctic region. Let's suppose there was an even
ejection of this heat over 180 days.

There are 2.805696e16 more calories stored there now that weren't there
last winter.

If it is released on a daily basis evenly over the next six months, that
would be 155,872,000,000,000 calories per 24-hour-day.

That's 6.185501e+011 BTUs per day. In terms of oil, that's like burning
106647 barrels of oil in the arctic every day. Of course most people are
not familiar with a barrel of oil, and repiglicans really don't know how
to look things up or do math, so let me help...

6.185501e+011 BTUs is like burning 4,988,307 gallons of gasoline.

Hey, make it easy on yourself, round that out to 5 million gallons of
gasoline burned every day for the next six months just to get back to
where we were before this all melted.

Every minute, 24 hours per day seven days per week, for the next six
months, 3,464 gallons of gasoline burned is the amount of energy that this
heat-storage device which we made will be capable of emitting.

The bad news is it is not likely to be a nice even constant emission. More
likely what will happen is so freezing air from Siberia will drift by and
cause the water to freeze up releasing it's 79 calories of heat per gram,
and this heat energy will not really warm up that minus 20 degrees air but
it will set it in motion. So 70 mph Arctic Express winds will scream out
of the Arctic with enough force to push deep south. How far south? I
experienced 14 degrees temperatures in Pensacola, Florida, in 1998. That
was the winter that the big ice storm hit down to the Rio Grande in Texas,
and most of the south was covered with ice -- power was out for some folks
for two weeks I remember.

Republicans have a hard time understanding that ALL WEATHER is heat in
action, even blizzards and ice storms. They have this crazy idea that
Global Warming is going to turn the whole world into Hawaii all year
round. Isn't that the nuttiest thing that you ever heard of?

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 26, 2006, 11:00:31 AM9/26/06
In sci.environment, The Ghoul in the Mac...@syphallis.sores.pus
<Exxon_Seri...@RacketeersR.US>
wrote
on Tue, 26 Sep 2006 05:47:35 GMT
<Xns9849E796BBDBEcl...@207.115.17.102>:

How do we change it?

The DisgustingGuffy Licks@syphallis.sores.pus

Sep 26, 2006, 5:39:01 PM9/26/06

> In sci.environment, The Ghoul in the Mac...@syphallis.sores.pus
> <Exxon_Seri...@RacketeersR.US>
> wrote
> on Tue, 26 Sep 2006 05:47:35 GMT
> <Xns9849E796BBDBEcl...@207.115.17.102>:
>> The Ghost In The Machine <ew...@sirius.tg00suus7038.net> wrote in
>>
>>> In sci.environment, Al Beato His Me...@Exxon.Stoodge.com
>>> http://snipurl.com/wozg <Exxon_Seri...@RacketeersR.US>
>>> wrote
>>> on Mon, 25 Sep 2006 04:34:42 GMT

The DisgustingGuffy has never been serious about changes and just minutes
ago posted a mocking ridiculing article responsing to a scientist who
presents the unimpeached facts about global warming.

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 27, 2006, 12:00:17 AM9/27/06
In sci.environment, The DisgustingGuffy Li...@syphallis.sores.pus
<Exxon_Seri...@RacketeersR.US>
wrote
on Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:39:01 GMT
<Xns984A94C16E215cl...@207.115.17.102>:

You want changes, suggest some. I would vote for a nice
large oil tax were I ensured that proceeds from said tax
would go to a worthwhile cause, such as reducing the
US debt, building more PV power plants, or financing
efficient mass transit (no, diesel trains don't quite
qualify, although they're better than cars).

As it is, I was not asking about DisgustingGuffies, I
was asking YOU.

singlew...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2006, 12:23:19 AM9/27/06

The DisgustingGuffy Li...@syphallis.sores.pus wrote:

> The DisgustingGuffy has never been serious about changes and just minutes
> ago posted a mocking ridiculing article responsing to a scientist who
> presents the unimpeached facts about global warming.

Unimpeached facts???? There are no FACTS about the future.

No FACTS. Get it? No FACTS about the future......

None, zip. There are NO facts about globalony. Only lies, more lies,
and damn lies, and the people who progagate them......

The Ghoul in the Machine Licks@syphallis.sores.pus

Sep 27, 2006, 12:53:36 AM9/27/06

> In sci.environment, The DisgustingGuffy Li...@syphallis.sores.pus
> <Exxon_Seri...@RacketeersR.US>
> wrote
> on Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:39:01 GMT
> <Xns984A94C16E215cl...@207.115.17.102>:
>> The Ghost In The Machine <ew...@sirius.tg00suus7038.net> wrote in
>>
>>> In sci.environment, The Ghoul in the Mac...@syphallis.sores.pus
>>> <Exxon_Seri...@RacketeersR.US>
>>> wrote
>>> on Tue, 26 Sep 2006 05:47:35 GMT

I'm sorry. You Exxon Pus Lickers all look alike. I thought you were the
troll The Disgusting Guffy, but I see you are the OTHER troll The Ghoul in
the Machine.

The Ghoul in the Machine sticks in my mind for advocating "Free Market"
should decide who lives and who dies on a one-dollar equals one-vote basis.
The rich killing the not-rich should be tolerated as "Free Market"
decisions and tough luck if you are not-rich. Of course who could hold a
rational discussion when such an irrational premise is placed as a first
principle above all else?

First thing: 50% plus one, a majority, votes to apply the death penalty
for environmental frauds which culminate in the negligent death of
another. Five or six CEOs, Billionaires, or Major Stockholders on the
gallows and we have a completely different playing field. All discussions
are tabled until that vote. When it is a capital crime to serial-murder to
advance your profits or business, and that law is enforced by will of the
majority, come back and ask again. You will find a completely different
array of choices facing you to pick from under that future scenario.
Meanwhile, enjoy slurping those pustules.

Exxon_Seri...@racketeersr.us

Sep 27, 2006, 12:57:35 AM9/27/06
singlew...@gmail.com wrote in

The insurance people make dependable good profits based on knowing the
correct facts about the future. Your doctor prescribes treatments knowing
the best possible facts about the future.

Presentation about PAST HISTORICAL FACTS is the subject of the discussion
you just mocked.

Enjoy lapping up those Exxon Syphallis Oozing Sores of Pus. I predict you
will die of syphallis of the soul and syphallis of the mind.

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 27, 2006, 12:00:11 PM9/27/06
In sci.environment, The Ghoul in the Machine Li...@syphallis.sores.pus
<Exxon_Seri...@RacketeersR.US>
wrote
on Wed, 27 Sep 2006 04:53:36 GMT
<Xns984ADE6FAB199cl...@207.115.17.102>:

Well thank you. I think.

> The Ghoul in the Machine sticks in my mind for advocating "Free Market"
> should decide who lives and who dies on a one-dollar equals one-vote basis.

And you fell for it, didn't you? :-) In any event,
principles cost energy. (Money is one form thereof;
in fact, Communists consider, IIRC, money a measure of
the amount of labor/work.)

> The rich killing the not-rich should be tolerated as "Free Market"
> decisions and tough luck if you are not-rich. Of course who could hold a
> rational discussion when such an irrational premise is placed as a first
> principle above all else?

You want rationality, go to Vulcan. :-) Economics,
however, is this planet's lifeblood. You won't get anybody
to switch from a power source that costs more without a
*very* good reason. (One of them of course is taxing the
power source, to pay for environmental damage.)

> First thing: 50% plus one, a majority, votes to apply the death penalty
> for environmental frauds which culminate in the negligent death of
> another. Five or six CEOs, Billionaires, or Major Stockholders on the
> gallows and we have a completely different playing field. All discussions
> are tabled until that vote. When it is a capital crime to serial-murder to
> advance your profits or business, and that law is enforced by will of the
> majority, come back and ask again. You will find a completely different
> array of choices facing you to pick from under that future scenario.
> Meanwhile, enjoy slurping those pustules.

OK. So when did you want to form this assassination squad, exactly?
Or would that be telling?

Of course if you get caught or killed I will disavow any knowledge
of your actions...and unless you're named Jim Phelps, I'd say
you've a very difficult mission on your hands.