Dixie paper plates -- polluting the environment since 19?? Their ads boast on it

Taylor

Apr 16, 2008, 1:50:17 PM4/16/08
What nerve they have in their latest ad (starting off w/ a young woman
chasing her toddler son around in circles on the lawn w/ a garden
hose). Because they can be spending time w/ their family instead of
doing dishes they boast.... serving 2 kids in the house (not like it's
a large or even small family gathering!!!) at the dinner table. Using
paper plates for that as an excuse to be lazy and ruin the
environment. I know they're not Styrofoam any more, but still...
nice!!!! Tsk.

Nancy2

Apr 16, 2008, 2:35:53 PM4/16/08

Plain ol' cardboard is easily biodegradable, and is not "ruining the
environment." Who have you been listening to? D'you think the
detergent from washing her dishes is any less damaging?

N.

Dano

Apr 16, 2008, 4:35:42 PM4/16/08

Next up...paper towels, napkins and facial tissues...harmful to the
environment???

Good grief...

cloud dreamer

Apr 16, 2008, 4:43:04 PM4/16/08

Being biodegradable doesn't make them good for the environment. Trees
are cut down to make the products. Trees that remove carbon from the
atmosphere for free.

And how many of those plates are burned? Throwing the carbon right back
into the atmosphere?

And paper has a limited recycling life...so for every fibre recycled
into paper plates, it's one less fibre that can be recycled into paper
sheets, towels or toilet paper.

And one can buy bio-friendly dish washing detergent.

..

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

www.ipcc.ch/

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2008, 5:15:26 PM4/16/08

"Dano" <janea...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Next up...paper towels, napkins and facial tissues...harmful to the
> environment???

...and toilet paper.

I did read something once about the amount of paper processing
chemicals/inks/etc... that went into paper grocery sacks and the conclusion
was that the plastic grocery bags are actually less damaging than the paper
sacks.

Seerialmom

Apr 16, 2008, 7:10:05 PM4/16/08

Which is worse? Wasting water washing dishes (and using dish soap) or
using paper plates that can be recycled and are biodegradable? I do
use Dixie plates and when used for "dry" items reuse them for other
things like giving pets their treats. Dixie plates have never been
styrofoam, that's Hefty who brought those out.

Steven L.

Apr 16, 2008, 7:36:07 PM4/16/08

You can buy the cheaper paper plates that have no painted designs or
colors on them. Just white.

BTW, paper plates also make microwave cooking easier. And that type of
cooking is more efficient use of energy than oven cooking.

--
Steven L.
Email: sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Seerialmom

Apr 16, 2008, 7:55:30 PM4/16/08
On Apr 16, 4:36 pm, "Steven L." <sdlit...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Obveeus wrote:

> > "Dano" <janeandd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Next up...paper towels, napkins and facial tissues...harmful to the
> >> environment???
>
> > ...and toilet paper.
>
> > I did read something once about the amount of paper processing
> > chemicals/inks/etc... that went into paper grocery sacks and the conclusion
> > was that the plastic grocery bags are actually less damaging  than the paper
> > sacks.
>
> You can buy the cheaper paper plates that have no painted designs or
> colors on them.  Just white.
>
> BTW, paper plates also make microwave cooking easier.  And that type of
> cooking is more efficient use of energy than oven cooking.
>
> --
> Steven L.
> Email:  sdlit...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

> Remove the NOSPAM before replying to me.

And that's how we do the majority of our cooking as well. My son
sometimes cuts a little x in the top of the plate to make a nice
microwave cover so the sauces don't splatter all over...thus
preventing me from using even more environmentally unfriendly cleaning
products and extra paper towels. BTW...I also "reuse" my Bounty paper
towels for cleaning up floor messes. ;)

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2008, 10:31:50 PM4/16/08

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> BTW...I also "reuse" my Bounty paper
>towels for cleaning up floor messes. ;)

If you rinse them out and hang them up on the line, you can sometimes get a
dozen or so cleaning with each paper towel.

As for the microwave, if you all cared about the environment you would be
eating raw food. It is better for you, better for the environment, and
takes even less time to prepare.

David

Apr 16, 2008, 10:41:54 PM4/16/08

If you all really really cared about the environment you'd sit on a
working microwave and kill your sperm or eggs with radiation.

Obveeus

Apr 16, 2008, 11:28:53 PM4/16/08

"David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you all really really cared about the environment you'd sit on a
> working microwave and kill your sperm or eggs with radiation.

Why waste energy with the microwave when you can just use one of those handy
Ginsu knives?

Nancy2

Apr 17, 2008, 10:58:51 AM4/17/08
> towels for cleaning up floor messes. ;)- Hide quoted text -

GREAT idea with the paper-plate covers in the microwave. I generally
use wax paper, but sometimes if it's tomato sauce, it will splatter
from underneath the wax paper.

I always use plain white paper goods; and also re-use paper towels for
icky messes.

My washing machine (don't know if they make this model any more) will
drain wash water, like from a "white" load," into my laundry sink, and
refill from the laundry sink for the next load, like kitchen rugs or
stuff that's similar. It's called a "suds-saver." Very useful and
efficient.

N.

Nancy2

Apr 17, 2008, 10:59:41 AM4/17/08
On Apr 16, 9:31 pm, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:

Yeah, sure, bring on the raw chicken and meat. Oh, and don't forget
the whitefish which commonly has little worms in it.

N.

Nancy2

Apr 17, 2008, 11:01:50 AM4/17/08

Oh, the OP just saw an ad and had an uninformed knee-jerk reaction
without thinking about "What happens next?" She must have missed
those segments on "Electric Company." LOL.

N.

Obveeus

Apr 17, 2008, 11:25:22 AM4/17/08

"Nancy2" <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:

I'm not sure why you classify chicken as different from meat, but wither
way, meats shouldn't be cooked in the microwave anyway...at least, not if
you want them to taste good.

Seerialmom

Apr 17, 2008, 5:01:47 PM4/17/08
> N.- Hide quoted text -

I'm grateful I have a DVR so I can avoid having my intelligence
insulted by the majority of commercials out there. The only time I
watch commercials is "on purpose" during the Super Bowl (or if there's
any "funniest commercials" show on). But you know what...if given a
choice between doing dishes or allowing myself more time to play with
the kids...I'd choose the kids.

Seerialmom

Apr 17, 2008, 5:06:49 PM4/17/08
On Apr 16, 7:31 pm, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:

heheh...that's ok...I figure getting 2-3 uses out of a paper towel
that was used just for drying freshly washed hands is good enough
(they dry pretty quickly). Once it has a "mess" on it out to the can
it goes.

Seerialmom

Apr 17, 2008, 5:08:24 PM4/17/08

Many moons ago I used to cut 4oz filets from frozen cod bricks....and
we'd pick those little worms right out :)