Shameless Lies On The Barrier Reef Exposed!

1 view

b0n zo

Jan 29, 2010, 10:46:52 PM1/29/10

Hoegh-Guldberg Alarmist Par Excellence On The Barrier Reef

January 30 2010

QUOTE: researcher Peter Ridd, who says the Reef is actually in "bloody
brilliant shape", had Hoegh-Gulberg in mind the other day.

QUOTE: James Cook University's Prof Peter Ridd said global warming could
actually be good for the Reef. And he accused scientists of "pushing
particular lines" in a bid to save their jobs and keep their funding
flowing.

The IPCC's 2007 report - praised and relied upon by KRudd - now turns out to
have relied not just on reports by WWF activists, but by ones from
Greenpeace, too:

It references literature generated by Greenpeace - an organization known
more for headline-grabbing publicity stunts than sober-minded analysis.
(Eight IPCC-cited Greenpeace publications are listed at the bottom of this
post.)

In one section of this Nobel-winning report (!!!), climate change is linked
to coral reef degradation.

The sole source for this claim?

A Greenpeace report titled "Pacific in Peril" (see Hoegh-Guldberg below).
Here the report relies on a Greenpeace document to establish the lower-end
of an estimate involving solar power plants (Aringhoff).

Hoegh-Guldberg?

Good heavens, we well remember this notorious alarmist and his extraordinary
record of dud predictions:

In 1999, Hoegh-Guldberg warned that the Great Barrier Reef was under
pressure from global warming, and much of it had turned white.

In fact, he later admitted the reef had made a "surprising" recovery.

In 2006, he warned high temperatures meant "between 30 and 40 per cent of
coral on Queensland's great Barrier Reef could die within a month".

In fact, he later admitted this bleaching had "a minimal impact".

In 2007, he warned that temperature changes of the kind caused by global
warming were again bleaching the reef.

In fact, the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network last week said there had
been no big damage to the reef caused by climate change in the four years
since its last report, and veteran diver Ben Cropp said this week that in 50
years he'd seen none at all.

In fact, I rather suspect researcher Peter Ridd, who says the Reef is
actually in "bloody brilliant shape", had Hoegh-Gulberg in mind the other
day:

ONE of North Queensland's top marine physicists has accused fellow
scientists of exaggerating the threat that climate change poses to the Great
Barrier Reef.

James Cook University's Prof Peter Ridd said global warming could actually
be good for the Reef. And he accused scientists of "pushing particular
lines" in a bid to save their jobs and keep their funding flowing.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/the_ipccs_latest_source_greenpeace/

Warmest Regards

Bon_0

"It is a remarkable fact that despite the worldwide expenditure of perhaps
US$50 billion since 1990, and the efforts of tens of thousands of scientists
worldwide, no human climate signal has yet been detected that is distinct
from natural variation."

Bob Carter, Research Professor of Geology, James Cook University, Townsville

enigma

Jan 30, 2010, 3:38:35 AM1/30/10

Witness - Meltdown Australia - 03 Oct 08 - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMUckCS0QGQ

Witness Meltdown Australia - 03 Oct 08 - Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZcUF7J7NIY

Seaweed chokes Australia's Great Barrier Reef

(AFP) – Jan 5, 2010

SYDNEY — Australian natural wonder the Great Barrier Reef is overgrown
in places by seaweed in what could be a worrying indication of the
health of the coral structure, scientists said on Wednesday.

Surveys of the World Heritage-listed reef, already at risk from global
warming, found that more than 40 percent of areas closest to shore
were dominated by green weed, Professor David Bellwood said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i682y8VQGn8AzEaYjjllwYt9ZAwQ
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/seaweed-takes-over-great-barrier-reef-20100104-lpfw.html

Barrier Reef needs emissions cuts of 25% by 2020
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/barrier-reef-needs-emissions-cuts-of-25-by-2020-20091117-ijgb.html

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Jan 30, 2010, 4:42:29 AM1/30/10

Isn't it amazing. The Great Barrier Reef is 18 million years old in the north
and 2 million years old in the south. Its survived ice ages, various climate
change events, various levels of CO2, crown of thorns starfish invasions and now
the filth merchant watermelons are claiming it won't survive because of some
bullshit or other.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8
- KRudd at his finest.

"The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
- Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.

"This is the recession we had to have!"
- Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.

"Silly old bugger!"
- Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.

"By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
- Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.

"A billion trees ..."
- Borke, pissed as a newt again.

"Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
general!"
- Egotistical shithead and pompous fuckwit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
appointee for Governor General John Kerr.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB CUNT!"
- FlangesBum on learning the truth about Labour's economic capabilities.

"I don't care what you fuckers think!"
- KRudd the KRude Rat at his finest again.

"We'll just change it all when we get in."
- Garrett the carrott

Liberal vermin

Jan 30, 2010, 6:12:06 PM1/30/10
enigma <enigm...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Witness - Meltdown Australia - 03 Oct 08 - Part 1
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMUckCS0QGQ
>
> Witness Meltdown Australia - 03 Oct 08 - Part 2
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZcUF7J7NIY
>
> Seaweed chokes Australia's Great Barrier Reef
>
> (AFP) � Jan 5, 2010
>
> SYDNEY � Australian natural wonder the Great Barrier Reef is overgrown
> in places by seaweed in what could be a worrying indication of the
> health of the coral structure, scientists said on Wednesday.
>
> Surveys of the World Heritage-listed reef, already at risk from global
> warming, found that more than 40 percent of areas closest to shore
> were dominated by green weed, Professor David Bellwood said.

So some well-heeled enviroliberal tourists won't have as much reef to
look at...boo hoo. Reminds me of when the envirofaggots in California
banned mountain biking from nature trails on the premise it hurt them,
but continued to allow rich people and 1500lb horses to tromp all over
them. I HATE elitist liberal envirofaggots and their double-standards.

Catoni

Jan 31, 2010, 2:23:42 AM1/31/10
enigma typed:

"....Great Barrier Reef is overgrown
in places by seaweed..."
"...areas closest to shore..."

Reply:

Caused by what exactly ? ? ? ? I would suspect chemical run-off
from farming and industry. Same thing has happened in other placers in
the past, like in one or more of the Great Lakes getting algae buildup
in the past due to fertilizer run-off into rivers feeding the lakes.

I see that they also say in your article... ""The question is, does
this mean the Barrier Reef is in real trouble? That the reef is
rotting from the inside out? Or does it mean to say that that amount
of weed is natural? And the answer is: it's hard to say," he said.

IOW... he doesn't know.,

And... "The Great Barrier Reef is in the best condition of any reef
in the world," he said.

Also..."The reef is believed to have deteriorated significantly
since European settlement in 1788, after enduring coral disease, toxic
blue-green algae and infestation by pestilent species such as the
crown-of-thorns starfish."

"...deteriorated significantly since European settlement in 1788"

There's the clincher.... it's all the fault of those horrible,
nasty European settlers... the reef's been going downhill ever since
they showed up in 1788.
There oughta be a law.... LOL

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Jan 31, 2010, 4:07:38 AM1/31/10
Peter Muehlbauer wrote:

> Catoni <cato...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> Caused by what exactly ? ? ? ? I would suspect chemical run-off
>> from farming and industry. Same thing has happened in other placers in
>> the past, like in one or more of the Great Lakes getting algae buildup
>> in the past due to fertilizer run-off into rivers feeding the lakes.
>
> Correct.
> There was a report 2-3 years ago, about coastal sugar cane farms dumping their
> overfertilized sewage into the ocean.

How do coastal sugar cane farms produce sewage, overfertilised or not?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Webb

Jan 31, 2010, 4:37:22 AM1/31/10

" Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF " <""noujwas\"@yahoo.com is a stupid
muzzie troll ."> wrote in message

> Peter Muehlbauer wrote:
>> Catoni <cato...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Caused by what exactly ? ? ? ? I would suspect chemical run-off
>>> from farming and industry. Same thing has happened in other placers in
>>> the past, like in one or more of the Great Lakes getting algae buildup
>>> in the past due to fertilizer run-off into rivers feeding the lakes.
>>
>> Correct.
>> There was a report 2-3 years ago, about coastal sugar cane farms dumping
>> their
>> overfertilized sewage into the ocean.
>
> How do coastal sugar cane farms produce sewage, overfertilised or not?

Agricultural run off has almost certainly harmed the reef to some extent,
but not by much. Short of stopping people living in QLD, that's going to be
inevitable. There is no question it is the best managed major reef system in
the world by a country mile, and generally appears in robust good health.

Message has been deleted

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Jan 31, 2010, 6:32:14 AM1/31/10
Peter Muehlbauer wrote:
> "Peter Webb" <webbf...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> " Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF " <"nou...@yahoo.com is a stupid
> If the corals feel threatened, they are able to move.
> GBR corals have been found near India's coasts in the past.
> Corals can move to other places to improve their living conditions.
> They don't simply die.

The corals of the GBR are also a very long way from shore. Not sure how all that
coastal runoff reaches that far, across all that sea.

Catoni

Jan 31, 2010, 12:25:58 PM1/31/10
On Jan 31, 4:44 am, Peter Muehlbauer
<spamtrap...@AT.frankenexpress.de> wrote:

> "Peter Webb" <webbfam...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > " Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF " <""noujwas\"@yahoo.com is a stupid
> > muzzie troll ."> wrote in message

> > > How do coastal sugar cane farms produce sewage, overfertilised or not?
>
> > Agricultural run off has almost certainly harmed the reef to some extent,
> > but not by much. Short of stopping people living in QLD, that's going to be
> > inevitable. There is no question it is the best managed major reef system in
> > the world by a country mile, and generally appears in robust good health.
>
> If the corals feel threatened, they are able to move.
> GBR corals have been found near India's coasts in the past.
> Corals can move to other places to improve their living conditions.
> They don't simply die.- Hide quoted text -

The whole point is that the little bit of warming...maybe ,8 of a
degree C or so since the end of the Little Ice Age approx 1850 is not
hurting the reefs. Coral is much better at adapting than was thought.
We now know that bleaching is a temporary measure that corals take
in order to adapt to changing conditions. The expell unicellular
flagellate protozoa, called zooxanthellae, that are photosynthetic and
live within their tissues in a symbiotic relationship. These organisms
give coral its color.

When conditions change, the coral expell them and then over time
take in other zooxanthellae that are better adapted to higher or lower
temperatures or higher or lower acidity.

This has happened unknown countless times in the approx. 450
million years that coral has been on Earth. Yes... they've survived
through much warmer times with no polar ice caps at all, and survived
through ice ages... including times of Abrupt Climate Change when
temperatures fluctuated much faster than now.

The coral will be fine.

As usual, the Alarmists are telling stories to try to scare us all.

Message has been deleted

Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

Jan 31, 2010, 9:00:58 PM1/31/10
Peter Muehlbauer wrote:
> Catoni <cato...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 31, 4:44 am, Peter Muehlbauer
>> <spamtrap...@AT.frankenexpress.de> wrote:

> Right.
> Remember the last glacial - interglacial transition, that showed a temperature
> difference of 9°C!
> This is 15 times the actual 0.6°C and corals are fine despite all that.
> Besides, temperatures decreased by 0.3°C since beginning of the holocene.
> This gives an extra flaw to the dying coral crap.

Yep. Apart from the fact that there's no evidence of the corals of the GBR ever
having died.

Even more interesting are the stromatolites found throughout Western Australia.
These are 3.5 billion years old. No sign of any climate change affecting them.

http://www.discoverwest.com.au/western_australia/hamlin_pool_stromatolites.html
http://www.australiascoralcoast.com/en/Destinations/Shark_Bay_region/Pages/Hamelin_Pool_stromatolites.aspx
http://www.westaustralianvista.com/Stromatolites.html
http://australia.shopsafe.com.au/western_australia_attractions/indian_ocean_drive_attractions/cervantes/lake_thetis_stromatolites-natural_attractions.htm

Ove

Feb 3, 2010, 4:56:35 PM2/3/10
On Feb 1, 12:00 pm, " Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF " <""noujwas
\"@yahoo.com is a stupid muzzie
troll .">
wrote:

> Peter Muehlbauer wrote:
> > Catoni <caton...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> http://www.discoverwest.com.au/western_australia/hamlin_pool_stromato...http://www.australiascoralcoast.com/en/Destinations/Shark_Bay_region/...http://www.westaustralianvista.com/Stromatolites.htmlhttp://australia.shopsafe.com.au/western_australia_attractions/indian...
>
> --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8

>   - KRudd at his finest.
>
> "The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
>   - Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.
>
> "This is the recession we had to have!"
>   - Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.
>
> "Silly old bugger!"
>   - Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
> responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.
>
> "By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
>   - Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.
>
> "A billion trees ..."
>   - Borke, pissed as a newt again.
>
> "Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
> general!"
>   - Egotistical shithead and pompous fuckwit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
> appointee for Governor General John Kerr.
>
> "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB CUNT!"
>   - FlangesBum on learning the truth about Labour's economic capabilities.
>
> "I don't care what you fuckers think!"
>   - KRudd the KRude Rat at his finest again.
>
> "We'll just change it all when we get in."
>   - Garrett the carrott

I guess at this point, you need get the actual facts.
http://www.climateshifts.org/?p=4329

Ove

Feb 3, 2010, 5:14:18 PM2/3/10
wrote:

> Peter Muehlbauer wrote:
> > Catoni <caton...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvdBnU8F8

>   - KRudd at his finest.
>
> "The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
>   - Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.
>
> "This is the recession we had to have!"
>   - Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.
>
> "Silly old bugger!"
>   - Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
> responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.
>
> "By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
>   - Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.
>
> "A billion trees ..."
>   - Borke, pissed as a newt again.
>
> "Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
> general!"
>   - Egotistical shithead and pompous fuckwit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
> appointee for Governor General John Kerr.
>
> "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB CUNT!"
>   - FlangesBum on learning the truth about Labour's economic capabilities.
>
> "I don't care what you fuckers think!"
>   - KRudd the KRude Rat at his finest again.
>
> "We'll just change it all when we get in."
>   - Garrett the carrott

As for whether the Great Barrier Reef is in trouble or not, you need
to go beyond people like Peter Ridd and Bob Carter who have no peer
reviewed literature in the actual science involved. Here are are some
articles which will help you understand where the evidence actually
falls.

http://www.climateshifts.org/?p=4291
http://www.climateshifts.org/?p=4295
http://www.climateshifts.org/?p=4285

Probably best to go with the people that have the skills, experience
and credibility, as opposed to bloggers and individuals that have no
credibility will track record.

OveHG