Recycling lobby groups (repost) ?

Monica Dance

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95

Dear Readers,

Please pardon the repost - it's the first time I've posted an article
on a newsgroup. Now you have my email address for flames :-)

I would like to know if there are any environmental pressure
groups which have a special emphasis on recycling. It seems to
me that there are a lot of environmental groups out there
talking about endangered species, pollution and so forth (all
important matters) but I don't hear a lot from them on recycling.
I think it might be time for a special-purpose recycling lobby group
(you might call one "Recycle America" for example :-), to actively
promote the benefits of recycling and put it more in the public eye.
If such a group exists, I'd be interested to know. By the way,
I lived in the States for three years but now live in New Zealand,
where a number of cities have kerbside recycling schemes,
recycling aluminium, steel, glass and plastic items. It is delightful
to see how everyone has responded to it. I know that the States
has a massive waste disposal problem looming and I think now is the time
to make a big push for recycling. I don't know anything about the
situation elsewhere though - I'd be interested in hearing from
anywhere in the world on this topic.

Monica Dance.
Physics Department,
Auckland University.