Architecture design of Dartmouth buildings: improved

Archimedes Plutonium

Mar 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/27/98

Today I walked outside Kiewit and noticed one of my favorite elms on
the west side of Baker library had been sawed down. Good thing I have a
picture of this tree. It was the largest elm on campus. It was sawed
because Dartmouth is expanding their library to be an electronic
library.

Here is a picture of that elm.

http://www.galstar.com/~ichudov/ppl/ap/Movie.scripts3.html

But what I am griping about here at Dartmouth is the lack of
Architectural Integrity or Continuity. And that Dartmouth seems to have
oddball buildings mushrooming all over the place.

Lately Dartmouth is building one incongruous building to the next.
Just west of Webster across the street is a short squat church building
that looks like a boulder was fished out of the Connecticut river and
carved a room into it as a building. Whenever I see someone coming out
of that squat building it looks like they emerged from a cave, Plato's
cave of darkness.
Then there is the Hopkins arts building looks like the designer got a
layed- down giraffe for a model design. From a distance, Hopkins looks
like a giraffe lying on the ground with its hoofs in the air. With its
oddball oval roofs that leak water and the interior of Hopkins is one
of those oddball buildings that you need a compass to tell you which is
east west north and south once inside the door. Hopkins has so darn
cheap glass doors that are double but opening just one side you have to
squeeze through when you carry a suitcase. One full size door is better
than these double midget sized doors, but I suppose the architects
expected people to open both sides of the doors figuring no one had
anything in there hands. And you will be amazed of the oddball insides
of Hopkins where a stairway leads to nothing and enclosed with glass.
One time a woman asked me where a theater play was located in that
building and I told her just keep walking for the designers of Hopkins
are tardy in putting up road signs for the inside of Hopkins. Hopkins
is more of an eyesore than a delight to look at, and the statues
outside are a relief and better to look at than the Hopkins building
itself.

A few years ago I suggested what Architectural design building for
Dartmouth that would make her proud. I suggested a gold leaf all glass
gold leaf building like the Toronto's Royal Bank of Canada of six long
fins of gold leaf with a tall pyramid glass gold leaf in the center.
And make the gold leafs of different colors of gold. Such a building is
expensive but beautiful to look at and it captures most of the outside
daylight such that in winter it is fun to be
inside such a building. I suggested this building for engineering
department at Dartmouth. And Dartmouth can build more such bright light
buildings in the future to make some architectural unity or theme
instead of Dartmouth's hodge podge collection of oddball buildings.

\ | /
\ | /
_ _
( ) Dartmouth building of flower petal fins
- - made of glass with gold leaf with a center
/ | \ pyramid or dome of gold leaf glass
/ | \

But recently I have taken notice of a beautiful building here on
Dartmouth campus. And the reason I had not noticed this beautiful
building before is because outside lighting was only recently applied.
It is the church building with that high steeple and at night a flood
light shines on this white tall steeple. I will have to get a picture
of it and post it to this Dartmouth architecture series.

Now I was wondering, take a look at this picture from Baker tower
pointing

http://www.galstar.com/~ichudov/ppl/ap/File1988.html

south across the Green and notice that building on the left called
Webster. That is the recent renovated building and during the summer of
1997 I was watching the construction crew building that underground
storage library connecting Webster to Baker and I thought it is another
hodge podge architectural design of a grass lawn separating Webster
from the sort of U shaped Baker complex. Webster and the grass patch of
the underground building is architecturally displeasing. And the
Webster building sticks out incongrous with a grass patch in between
with the Baker complex having a gaping hole in its
unfullfilled U shape.

Who knows maybe no architect is ever consulted and a building when
needed is pragmaticly thrown up, and who cares whether it is another
oddball eyesore.

So here is what I am recommending to make Dartmouth a Architecturally
great place to visit and feel good about looking at her buildings. And
something to
capture on film.

I recommend that Dartmouth remove that dirt on top of that
underground
Webster adjoinment. Remove the dirt and hire a good building mover.

Move the church with its beautiful spire steeple and move it on top
of that
underground library vault. What will the end result be?

The end result will be that the Baker complex of buildings in a sort
of U shape looking north from the Green will have two very very
beautiful spires,
the one spire of the bell tower and to the right of the bell tower will
be that
beautiful church spire with its white paint.

Now I cannot say that this new library complex will rival the beauty
of St.Basil of Moscow but it will go a long ways in one of the most
beautiful architectural designs of New England and certainly as
beautiful if not more beautiful than Utah State University old main
building.

http://www.galstar.com/~ichudov/ppl/ap/File1966-1972.html

http://www.galstar.com/~ichudov/ppl/ap/File1973-1976.html

Yes, I do believe that if Dartmouth has two spires within its library
complex will make that complex complete and architecturally pleasing,
those two steeples and lighted up at night would start to bring some
architectural integrity to Dartmouth.

Archimedes Plutonium

Mar 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/28/98

26 March, I walked outside Kiewit and noticed one of my favorite elms

on
the west side of Baker library had been sawed down. Good thing I have a
picture of this tree. It was the largest elm on campus. Some have
counted the
rings to be between 200-250 years old. It probably was here on
Dartmouth when
Dartmouth was founded as a school. It was sawed because Dartmouth is

expanding their library to be an electronic library.

Here is a picture of that elm.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~atom/File003.html

But what I am griping about here at Dartmouth is the lack of

Architectural Integration or Continuity. And it is very important that
a good college or university inspire its students with its architecture

as well as its book learning. The mind needs inspiring and uplifting
architecture. Of course one can learn quantum mechanics inside a tent
as
well as a inspiring building but the important thing is the reflection
that the education experience leaves in one's mind and one of those
important reflections is the architecture. Education is a desire to
excel
and if you have architecture that is less than inspiring, then you have
a logical gap. And that Dartmouth seems to have gone into the track of
building oddball buildings, whoever pragmatically useful.

Lately Dartmouth is building one incongruous building to the next.

Just east of Webster across the street is a short squat church building
Rollins- Chapel MDCCCLXXXV, that looks like a boulder was fished out of
the Connecticut river and
carved into a building. The reason I say this is because Rollins is
mostly
roof with an oddball tower to it and it reminds me of Utah's
hole-in-the-wall

building. Whenever I see someone coming out
of that squat building it looks like they emerged from a cave, Plato's

cave of darkness. Although Rollins Chapel does have nice stain glassed
windows. Rollins is architecturally an oddball as well as that building
east of Hopkins.
Then there is the Hopkins arts building which looks like the designer

got a
layed- down giraffe for a model design. From a distance, Hopkins looks

like a giraffe laying on the ground with its hoofs in the air. With its

oddball oval roofs that leak water and the interior of Hopkins is one
of those oddball buildings that you need a compass to tell you which is

east west north and south once inside the door. Hopkins at the
postboxes

has so darn
cheap glass doors that are double but opening just one side you have to
squeeze through when you carry a suitcase. One full size door is better
than these double midget sized doors, but I suppose the architects
expected people to open both sides of the doors figuring no one had

anything in there hands. And you will be amazed by the oddball insides
of Hopkins where a stairway closest to the theater hogs most of the
space
and another glass enclosed stairwell leads to nothing but air.

One time a woman asked me where a theater play was located in that

building and I told her "just keep walking in that direction." Hopkins

is more of an eyesore than a delight to look at, and the statues
outside are a relief and better to look at than the Hopkins building
itself.

A few years ago I suggested what Architectural design building for
Dartmouth that would make her proud. I suggested a gold leaf all glass
gold leaf building like the Toronto's Royal Bank of Canada of six long

fins of gold leaf (fins like huge aerodynamically designed Airstream
Trailers) and connecting in the middle all of these fins is a tall
pyramid glass gold leaf building. The entire building would look like a
flower.

And make the gold leafs of different colors of gold. Such a building is
expensive but beautiful to look at and it captures most of the outside
daylight such that in winter it is fun to be

inside such a building. I suggested this building as a new engineering
department building for Dartmouth.

[...]

The church is The Church of Christ at Dartmouth College, 1771,
Eleazar Wheelock. And I do not even know if Dartmouth owns this
building.

And it is this church spire lighted up at night that has made me
exclaim
what a beautiful building that is. And it made me wonder. That is, the
recent renovated building of Webster Hall and its underground Rauner
Special Collections library building, and during the summer of

1997 I was watching the construction crew building that underground
storage library connecting Webster to Baker and I thought it is another
hodge podge architectural design of a grass lawn separating Webster

from completing the U shaped Baker complex. Webster and the grass patch

of
the underground building is architecturally displeasing. And the

Webster building sticks out incongrously with its grass patch in

between
with the Baker complex having a gaping hole in its

unfulfilled U shape.

Church of Christ
--------------|
| \ / |
| / \ |
-------------|
spire steeple

top view of present Library complex as of March98
|--------------------------------------------|---------|
| --------- | |
| |Baker | | |
| | tower | | |
| | bell | | |
| |-------| | |
| | |
---------------------------------------------| |
| S | | |
| a | | |
| n | | |
| b | | |
| o | |---------|
| r |
| n |
|---------| grass

lawn

-----------|
| Webster |
| Hall |
| |
| |
-----------

Who knows maybe no architect is ever consulted and a building when

needed at Dartmouth is pragmaticly thrown up, and who cares whether it
is another oddball eyesore or whether any architectural foresight is
applied.

So here is what I am recommending to make Dartmouth a Architecturally
great place to visit and feel good about looking at her buildings. And
something to capture on film.

I recommend that Dartmouth remove that dirt on top of that

underground Rauner library of the
Webster Hall adjoinment. Remove the dirt and hire a good building
mover.

Move the church with its beautiful spire steeple and move it on top

of that concrete underground library vault. What will the end result
be?

The end result will be that the Baker complex of buildings in a sort
of U shape looking north from the Green will have two very very
beautiful spires,
the one spire of the bell tower and to the right of the bell tower will
be that beautiful church spire with its white paint.

It probably is too expensive to move the church spire. It is only 100
meters away. But it is probably more economical to build a replica on
top of that underground library.

And the Berry addition to Baker is rather uninspired and will not
architecturally enhance the library complex. However, if the Berry
addition
adds on another spire such that the Library complex when finished has
3 spires in all, then that will make that complex a sight to remember.

Now I cannot say that this new library complex will rival the beauty
of St.Basil of Moscow but it will go a long ways in one of the most
beautiful architectural designs of New England and certainly as
beautiful if not more beautiful than Utah State University old main

building. When I came to Dartmouth the first time in 1988, one of my
first thoughts was, "nothing architecturally outstanding"

Yes, I do believe that if Dartmouth has 3 spires within its library

complex will make that complex complete and architecturally pleasing,

those 3 steeples and lighted up at night would be Dartmouth's prime
outstanding architectural designs.

^ /\
| / \ ^
^ / \ |
| / | | |\ ^
/ \ | | |
/ \ | | / \
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |

Dartmouth's proposed two new spires alongside its existing bell tower

Archimedes Plutonium

Mar 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/28/98

On 26 March, I walked outside Kiewit and noticed one of my favorite
elms
on the east side of Baker library had been sawed down. Good thing I

have a
picture of this tree. It was the largest elm on campus. Some have
counted the rings to be between 200-250 years old. It probably was here
at
Dartmouth when Dartmouth was founded as a school. Who knows, maybe
Reverend
Wheelock planted it himself. It was sawed down because Dartmouth is
expanding their library to be an electronic library and needs the
space.

Here is a picture of that elm.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~atom/File003.html

But what I am griping about here at Dartmouth is the lack of
Architectural Integration or Continuity. And it is very important that
a good college or university inspire its students with its architecture
as well as its book learning. The mind needs inspiring and uplifting
architecture. Of course one can learn quantum mechanics inside a tent
as well as a inspiring building but the important thing is the

reflection that the education experience leaves in one's mind.
Education is a desire to excel and it asks of its students to excel,
but what happens when the college itself has an opportunity to excel
but it fails or achieves mediocrity. Here I am talking about
architecture. Anyone can put up a building for a purpose and I myself
with the help of a bricklayer back in the late 1970's with my own hands
constructed a brick building in Utah.

For one of the US's finest schools its architecture must show
excellence. Education is a desire to excel and if you have architecture
that is less than inspiring; less than excellent, then how can you
expect topmost excellence from its students. And that Dartmouth seems
to have gone into the habit of filling its building construction with
little view to inspiration and building oddball buildings, whereever
pragmatically needed.

Lately Dartmouth is building one incongruous building to the next.
Just east of Webster across the street is a short squat church building
Rollins- Chapel MDCCCLXXXV, that looks like a boulder was fished out of
the Connecticut river and carved into a building. The reason I say this
is because Rollins is mostly
roof with an oddball tower to it and it reminds me of Utah's
hole-in-the-wall
building. Whenever I see someone coming out of that squat building it

looks like they emerged from a cave, Plato's cave. Although Rollins
Chapel does have nice stain glassed windows, Rollins is architecturally
out of place as well as that building east of Hopkins.

Then there is the Hopkins arts building which looks like the designer
got a

layed-down giraffe for a model design. From a distance, Hopkins looks
like a giraffe laying on the ground with its hoofs in the air, with its
oval roofs that leak water. And the interior of Hopkins is one of those
oddball buildings that once inside you seem to lose sense of east west
north and south and you need a compass. Hopkins at the postboxes has so
darn cheap glass doors that are double doors but each individually is a
midget sized door and opening just one side you have to squeeze through
when you carry a briefcase. One full size door is better
than these double midget sized doors, and I do not suppose the

architects expected people to open both sides of the doors figuring no

one had anything in there hands. And it is amazing that the oddball
outside architecture implies oddball inside for Hopkins where the

stairway closest to the theater hogs most of the space and another
glass enclosed stairwell leads to nothing but air. One time a woman

asked me where a theater play was located in that building and you
really cannot give satisfactory directions in a maze so I told her
"just keep walking in that direction". Hopkins is more of an eyesore

than a delight to look at, and the statues outside are a relief and

better to look at than the building
itself.

A few years ago I suggested what Architectural design building for

Dartmouth that would make her proud. I suggested the use of gold leaf
all plastic gold leaf building like the Toronto's Royal Bank of Canada

of six long fins of gold leaf (fins like huge aerodynamically designed

Airstream Trailers) and connected in the middle is a tall pyramid
plastic gold leaf building. The entire building would look like a
flower. A greenhouse flower shaped building. And make the gold leafs of

different colors of gold. Such a building is expensive but beautiful to
look at and it captures most of the outside daylight such that in
winter it is fun to be inside such a building. I suggested this
building as a new engineering

department building for Dartmouth and to be built north of the old
hospital that had been torn down. To start the expansion of the
engineering department of Dartmouth where the old hospital used to be.

And Dartmouth can build more such bright light buildings in the future
to make some architectural unity or theme
instead of Dartmouth's hodge podge collection of oddball buildings.

\ | /
\ | /
\ | /
_ _
( ) Dartmouth building of flower petal fins
- - made of glass with gold leaf with a center

/ | \ pyramid or dome of gold leaf glass/plastic
/ | \
/ | \

But recently I have taken notice of a beautiful building here on
Dartmouth campus. And the reason I had not noticed this beautiful
building before is because outside lighting was only recently applied.
It is the church building with that high steeple and at night a

flood-light shines on this white tall steeple. I will have to get a

picture of it and post it to this Dartmouth architecture series.

The church is The Church of Christ at Dartmouth College, 1771,
Eleazar Wheelock. And I do not even know if Dartmouth owns this
building.

And it is this church spire lighted up at night that has made me
exclaim
what a beautiful building that is. And it made me wonder. That is, the
recent renovated building of Webster Hall and its underground Rauner
Special Collections library building, and during the summer of 1997 I
was watching the construction crew building that underground storage
library connecting Webster to Baker and I thought it is another hodge
podge architectural design of a grass lawn separating Webster from
completing the U shaped Baker complex. Webster and the grass patch of
the underground building is architecturally displeasing. And the
Webster building sticks out incongrously with its grass patch

in-between

with the Baker complex having a gaping hole in its unfulfilled U shape.

top view of present Library complex as of March1998
showing the Church of Christ approx 100 meters away from the
grass patch.

Church of Christ
--------------|
| \ / |
| / \ |
-------------|
spire steeple

|--------------------------------------------|---------|
| --------- | |
| |Baker | | |
| | tower | | |
| | bell | | |
| |-------| | |
| | |
---------------------------------------------| |
| S | | |
| a | | |
| n | | |
| b | | |
| o | |---------|
| r |
| n |
|---------| grass

patch

-----------|
| Webster |
| Hall |
| |
| |
-----------

Who knows maybe no architect is ever consulted and a building when

needed at Dartmouth is pragmaticly thrown-up, and who cares whether it

is another oddball eyesore or whether any architectural foresight is
applied.

So here is what I am recommending to make Dartmouth a Architecturally
great place to visit and feel good about looking at her buildings. And
something to capture on film.

I recommend that Dartmouth remove that dirt on top of that
underground Rauner library of the Webster Hall adjoinment. Remove the
dirt and hire a good building
mover.

Move the church with its beautiful spire steeple and move it on top
of that concrete underground library vault. What will the end result
be?

The end result will be that the Baker complex of buildings fills its
gap. The grass patch of nothing is an eyesore. By putting a building in
that hole or gap, and a building that has a beautiful spire completes
that U complex. So when looking north from the Green one will see a
completed U complex of buildings with 2 very beautiful spires, the one

spire of the bell tower and to the right of the bell tower will be that
beautiful church spire with its white paint.

It probably is too expensive to move the church spire. It is only 100
meters away. But it is probably more economical to build a replica on

top of that underground library. I do not even know if Dartmouth owns
the church building.

And the Berry addition to Baker is rather uninspired and will not
architecturally enhance the library complex. However, if the Berry
addition

adds-on another spire such that the Library complex when finished will
have
3 spires in all. Then that will make that complex a sight to remember.
And for the lanscape architects, please have no large trees that block
the view of the Library complex with its thought-provoking 3 spires
reaching to heaven. I think the Reverend Wheelock would be proud to see
that 3 spires adorn the campus of Dartmouth. Three spires to remember
that Dartmouth started as a religion school.

Now I cannot say that this new library complex will rival the beauty
of St.Basil of Moscow but it will go a long ways in one of the most

beautiful architectural design complexes of New England and certainly
as
beautiful if not more beautiful than Utah State University old-main-
building. When I came to Dartmouth the first time in 1988 having been
used to the USU old main building and later the gothic architecture of
the Univ of Missouri, one of my first thoughts was, "nothing
architecturally outstanding here."

Archimedes Plutonium

Mar 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/29/98

In article <6fhlhc$3k1$1...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>
Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu (Archimedes Plutonium) writes:

> ^ /\
> | / \ ^
> ^ / \ |
> | / | | |\ ^
> / \ | | |
> / \ | | / \
> | | | | | |
> | | | | | |
> | | | | | |

> Dartmouth's proposed two new spires alongside its existing bell tower

Since the library is the heart of Dartmouth College, it needs
special care whenever major changes are made with it. Recently the
library has two major changes. One is the Rauner addition and second is
the Berry addition. Dartmouth wants to have the first all electronic
library. That is a worthy goal. However, this thread is about the
architecture and landscape architecture of the new library complex.
There is an awful temptation to slap up rectangular prefab
boxes of buildings. Even to look in a catalog of prefabricated
buildings and have one hauled onto the site.
Many Universities and Colleges have the architectural heart of the
campus the 'student main' or 'student commons' or whatever it is
called. Univ. Missouri at Columbia has this. And this building is often
the most ornate or well designed architecturally for that University.
It is an image that the University projects. For Dartmouth the
architectural heart of the campus is not the 'student commons' but the
library with its bell tower. So special care needs be given the
architecture of the library in its new renovation.
The heart of a fine school should have inspiring architecture. But
neither the Rauner addition nor the Berry addition add any architecture
enhancement to Dartmouth.

In recognition that the library of Dartmouth is the heart of the
College, perhaps it should be a tradition of Dartmouth that any future
major changes to the library should include a spire.

Thus, to the Rauner addition, a new erected building with a spire
should go up.

And to the Berry addition, the architects should include a spire in
the northwest corner.

Thus when the Rauner and Berry additions are completed the library
complex has 3 spires in all.

So I propose that in this time of renovation of the library with the
Rauner
underground building and the Berry addition, that Dartmouth make the
library the architectural inspiration of the campus. And include it in
a bylaws that any future major changes to the library complex include a
spire.

When completed the Library Complex of Dartmouth will look like this
------------------------------------------------------------\
|--------------------------------------------|---------| \
| --------- | |----------

| |Baker | | |
| | tower | | |
| | bell | | |
| |-------| | |
| | |
---------------------------------------------| |
| S | | |
| a | | |
| n | | |

| b | ---------
| o |
| r | two entrance and egress -------
| n | lawn paths | \ / |
|---------| | \/ |
new building | /\ |
with spire | / \ |
---------
-----------|
| Webster |
| Hall |
| |
| |
-----------

And the landscape architecture of the library complex have only very
short trees so that the architectural beauty is not obstructed. And
this ought be done with the "hill of Dartmouth" as the old white
original Dartmouth buildings are referred to as on-the-hill. Big trees
such as elms and maples for the front of the hill is inappropriate.
There are dwarf maples such as ginnala maples that are suitable but no
large trees. My father by occupation was a Landscape Architect, and so
I am not merely voicing an opinion about the plants that are around the
Dartmouth buildings but from experience. Too many campuses have a
illogical or nonexistant landscape architecture planting programs, and
Dartmouth is one of them.

Now I should comment on the poor architecture of Sanborn in that you
have to walk all the way around Sanborn or walk through the inside of
Baker to go north. And on the west side of Sanborn is for lack of a
better term "dead space". It is lawn space that the building makes
useless. I have no ready-made solution for this Sanborn poor design but
want to point this out so that the Rauner side does not repeat the
Sanborn mistake. So for Rauner leave a path of lawn grass so that
students or an army can walk north or east without having to troop
through the insides of the library.

I looked through my pictures and was able to find some of the Church
of Christ spire, bell tower, and others. So in the next several days I
will scan those pictures and add them to my web site so that you can
have visuals of what I am talking about.

I can even juxtapose spires of the church with the bell tower to sort
of give a model of what the Library complex would look like if it had
three spires in all. I have already done this and it is a very
beautiful sight.

Does anyone know what the costs of a church spire are?

James Kibo Parry

Mar 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/29/98

In sci.engr and dartmouth.talk.kiewit, Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu

(Archimedes Plutonium) wrote:

> Today I walked outside Kiewit and noticed one of my favorite elms on
> the west side of Baker library had been sawed down. Good thing I have a
> picture of this tree.

tattooed on your butt.

> It was the largest elm on campus. It was sawed
> because Dartmouth is expanding their library to be an electronic
> library.

Hmm, if you go to the regular library to use their computers,
when it becomes an electronic library will you demand to use their pencils?
Will you post endless rants about how uncomfortable the virtual chairs
in the cyberlibrary are?

> [...]

> But what I am griping about here at Dartmouth is the lack of
> Architectural Integrity or Continuity. And that Dartmouth seems to have
> oddball buildings mushrooming all over the place.

Yeah, some of the things on the Dartmouth campus are really WACKO.
You know, CRAZY. INSANE, even.

> Lately Dartmouth is building one incongruous building to the next.
> Just west of Webster across the street is a short squat church building
> that looks like a boulder was fished out of the Connecticut river and
> carved a room into it as a building. Whenever I see someone coming out
> of that squat building

you just need to check your handy reference card which says
THE FLINTSTONES IS JUST A CARTOON.

> it looks like they emerged from a cave, Plato's cave of darkness.
> Then there is the Hopkins arts building looks like the designer got a
> layed- down giraffe for a model design. From a distance, Hopkins looks
> like a giraffe lying on the ground with its hoofs in the air. With its
> oddball oval roofs that leak water and the interior of Hopkins is one
> of those oddball buildings that you need a compass to tell you which is
> east west north and south once inside the door. Hopkins has so darn
> cheap glass doors that are double but opening just one side you have to
> squeeze through when you carry a suitcase.

NOTE TO ARCHITECTS: Perfectly normal people carry aluminum suitcases with
them at all times while working on their scientific theories about
landing the Moon in the Pacific Ocean.

> One full size door is better than these double midget sized doors,

That's no way to talk about Linda Hunt!

> but I suppose the architects
> expected people to open both sides of the doors figuring no one had
> anything in there hands. And you will be amazed of the oddball insides
> of Hopkins where a stairway leads to nothing and enclosed with glass.

"Damn!" said the dean, "He figured out how to get out of the glass box!"
Dartmouth's plans for the Archimedes Plutonium School Of Mime Made Really
Easy were scrapped.

> One time a woman asked me where a theater play was located in that
> building and I told her just keep walking for the designers of Hopkins
> are tardy in putting up road signs for the inside of Hopkins. Hopkins
> is more of an eyesore than a delight to look at, and the statues
> outside are a relief and better to look at than the Hopkins building
> itself.
>
> A few years ago I suggested what Architectural design building for
> Dartmouth that would make her proud. I suggested a gold leaf all glass
> gold leaf building like the Toronto's Royal Bank of Canada of six long
> fins of gold leaf with a tall pyramid glass gold leaf in the center.
> And make the gold leafs of different colors of gold.

I see. So the motif of this building would be some metal in particular?

> Such a building is
> expensive but beautiful to look at and it captures most of the outside
> daylight such that in winter it is fun to be
> inside such a building. I suggested this building for engineering
> department at Dartmouth. And Dartmouth can build more such bright light
> buildings in the future to make some architectural unity or theme
> instead of Dartmouth's hodge podge collection of oddball buildings.
>
> \ | /
> \ | /
> _ _
> ( ) Dartmouth building of flower petal fins
> - - made of glass with gold leaf with a center
> / | \ pyramid or dome of gold leaf glass
> / | \

Hey! Stop making Cold Pricklies out of Styrofoam cubes and toothpicks!
Making Cold Fuzzies is bad! Go make some Warm Fuzzies out of fun fur.

> But recently I have taken notice of a beautiful building here on
> Dartmouth campus. And the reason I had not noticed this beautiful
> building before is because outside lighting was only recently applied.

When they turned on this new thing called the Sun.

> It is the church building with that high steeple and at night a flood
> light shines on this white tall steeple.

As opposed to those churches with wide steeples four inches tall.

STOP MAKING JOKES ABOUT LINDA HUNT!

> I will have to get a picture of it and post it to this Dartmouth
> architecture series.
>

> [...] notice that building on the left called

> Webster. That is the recent renovated building and during the summer of
> 1997 I was watching the construction crew building that underground
> storage library connecting Webster to Baker and I thought it is another
> hodge podge architectural design of a grass lawn separating Webster
> from the sort of U shaped Baker complex. Webster and the grass patch of
> the underground building is architecturally displeasing. And the
> Webster building sticks out incongrous with a grass patch in between
> with the Baker complex having a gaping hole in its
> unfullfilled U shape.

Do you often have these erotic fantasies about campus buildings?

> Who knows maybe no architect is ever consulted and a building when
> needed is pragmaticly thrown up,

Instead, buildings should be LITERALLY thrown up!

> and who cares whether it is another oddball eyesore.
>
> So here is what I am recommending to make Dartmouth a Architecturally
> great place to visit and feel good about looking at her buildings. And
> something to
> capture on film.
>
> I recommend that Dartmouth remove that dirt on top of that
> underground
> Webster adjoinment. Remove the dirt and hire a good building mover.

What, you're planning to move the Moon and land it in the Pacific ocean
and you can't even move a wimpy little building yourself? IT'S ON A HILL!

> Move the church with its beautiful spire steeple and move it on top
> of that
> underground library vault. What will the end result be?
>
> The end result will be that the Baker complex of buildings in a sort
> of U shape looking north from the Green will have two very very
> beautiful spires,
> the one spire of the bell tower and to the right of the bell tower will
> be that
> beautiful church spire with its white paint.

Please let us know when you succeed in covering your entire body
with beautiful gold leaf, especially the base of the spine.

> [...]

> Yes, I do believe that if Dartmouth has two spires within its library
> complex will make that complex complete and architecturally pleasing,
> those two steeples and lighted up at night would start to bring some
> architectural integrity to Dartmouth.

But that would make three pointy tops whenever you're in the building.

-- K.

Shouldn't you be busy tending
to those stock certificates
you made out of Play-Doh?

brian whatcott

Mar 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/29/98

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:36:50 GMT, James Kibo
Parry,ki...@world.std.com says...

>In sci.engr and dartmouth.talk.kiewit,
Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu
>(Archimedes Plutonium) wrote:
>>
>> Today I walked outside Kiewit and noticed one of my favorite elms on
>> the west side of Baker library had been sawed down. Good thing I have a
>> picture of this tree.
>
>tattooed on your butt.

Yes I know what a tick Archie can be on the body-politic; but when
I read this note - of which the above observation and your witty riposte is a
fair sample, I realise there is more than one slightly deranged person lurking
the halls of akademe and newsgroups...
You should probably get out of the house more, and leave Archie alone when
he breaks into the occasional lucid spell, don't you think?...

Whatcott Altus

Archimedes Plutonium

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <6fk7na$s3f$1...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>
Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu (Archimedes Plutonium) writes:

> I can even juxtapose spires of the church with the bell tower to sort
> of give a model of what the Library complex would look like if it had
> three spires in all. I have already done this and it is a very
> beautiful sight.
>
> Does anyone know what the costs of a church spire are?

Luckily today I was able to scan in some of my old photographs. But I
did not have the time to juxtapose pictures. And I do not know how much
more time I want to spend on this. I would rather spend all of my time
on science.

And I do not know if a church spire is better than a
Dartmouth-old-building-tower. Or perhaps a new modern design of a
tower. Anyway, I feel that the proposed new Berry addition is lacking
in fine architecture that it could give. I propose that the Berry
addition include a added tower, and that the Rauner addition include a
building in the space on-top of the underground vault that also
includes a tower on top of the building. Thus, when completed the
Library Complex will have 3 towers in all. It will have the bell tower
and northwest will be the Berry tower and southeast of the bell tower
will be the Rauner tower. This would complete the complex
architecturally and make one of the most
beautiful building sights in all of New England.
And let me add on the fact that the Webster Hall is a doric? ionic?
ancient Greek frontispiece with its columns, so that perhaps some
brilliant architect could design the Rauner tower with a view of
ancient Greek types of towers. And perhaps another brilliant architect
could make the Berry tower a modern day tower of the old Reverend
Wheelock tower on the old buildings. But make these two new towers high
enough to integrate with the existing bell tower.

And as the tall trees near the library complex die out, do not
replace with more tall trees but instead small trees and shrubs so that
the view is never obstructed.

Please visit this web site for pictures of this situation:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~atom/File3architect.html

Archimedes Plutonium

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

In article <6fp0t3$np$1...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>
Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu (Archimedes Plutonium) writes:

> And as the tall trees near the library complex die out, do not
> replace with more tall trees but instead small trees and shrubs so that
> the view is never obstructed.
>
> Please visit this web site for pictures of this situation:
>
> http://www.dartmouth.edu/~atom/File3architect.html

I suppose there is a landscape architecture newsgroup but I feel it
would be out of place there this one post and belongs better with the
rest of this thread.

I need to talk about Landscape architecture. This was my fathers
profession. He had gone to Michigan State and Univ of Cincinnati. He
was a member of the US L.A. society, whose exact name I do not
remember. My father was good at this profession for he was called for
jobs all throughout the Midwest , not just the Ohio area.

Let me tell you a little story here. I remember my father dragging me
out to a site that he had just completed. Some corporate headquarters
building in Cincinnati Ohio. And as he was driving his big Ford galaxy
500 in the late 60s or 1970-71 (exact year escapes me) to see this
site, I a teenager in college was never really appreciative of my
fathers work. My feelings at that time was "so what". And I suspect my
father knew my feelings. So as we approached this site I was rather
expecting something of the same mundane.
But, as we reached the site of my father's work I was genuinely
moved. It was the most beautiful work I had seen he ever do. It was a
long corporate building and it had small soft trees and shrubs.

The reason I bring that up is because most every landscaping of
buildings, whether homes or other buildings are poorly landscaped. They
have trees in the wrong places. Crab apples near walkways.
Colleges and Universities are notorious for having poor landscape
architecture. Dartmouth is guilty of this. One of the reasons is that a
Landscape Architect is never involved in landscaping the entire campus.
And what plants and trees are planted can be almost anyone with a
shovel and an intent to plant. We have old alumni who want to donate a
tree and they plant it just about anywhere they have a mind to. And the
"buildings and groundskeepers" are ordered to plant something and so
they have pretty much latitude of what and where they plant it.

Here at Dartmouth it would not make sense to plant big elm trees
near the most beautiful buildings. Those of the old Dartmouth of 1770s
buildings yet there are many big elms near them. Same also with the
bell tower library.

It stands to reason that your best buildings should not be obstructed
by big trees.

And if the Library Berry addition adds on a new spire or tower, plus
the Rauner addition adds on a new spire so that the Library complex has
3 towers in all, then the landscape architecture of the Library Complex
should have only small trees and shrubs so that the beauty is not
detracted. Some trees such as ginnala maples or dwarf or bridal veil
bushes. And the Dartmouth Green should have no big trees on its east
and north lines so that these buildings are not obstructed.

Dartmouth has many hodge-podge buildings, and save the big trees for
them.

Maybe some colleges and universities have a landscape architecture
dept who overlook their entire campus. Perhaps some University campuses
are well- landscape-architected. I am afraid Dartmouth is not one of
those.

I have asked what is the cost of a spire for the Berry addition? Is a
spire very costly?
And is the Church of Christ 1771 owned by Dartmouth? And can it be
moved economically to the location of north of Webster Hall in that gap
area?
It is important for Dartmouth to have its Library Complex the
architectural showcase for the College of the next century. I feel the
Berry addition is good for electronic library insides, but it is
lacking in architecture on the outsides. It is missing a tower or spire
that would complete the Library complex and integrate it with the
existing bell tower.

What is the additional cost for adding a spire or tower to the Berry
addition?

Archimedes Plutonium

Apr 5, 1998, 4:00:00 AM4/5/98

In article <6g50ka$kdb$1...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>
Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu (Archimedes Plutonium) writes:

> What is the additional cost for adding a spire or tower to the Berry
> addition?

I am told the Berry building will cost 60 million. I cannot vouch for
the verity of that figure. But how much more in cost would it entail if
a tower or spire is added to the Berry building?

Archimedes Plutonium

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

Today I think that two obelisks would be the best buildings. Both
modern obelisks and one built at the northwest corner of the library
complex at the Berry addition and one built in that gap of the Webster
Hall underground vault. An obelisk has practical use such as storage
and whereas a spire or tower are mostly for show and little use.

And an obelisk would be a nice tie-in with the Greek architecture of
Webster Hall.

/\
/\ / \ /\
/ \ / \ / \
Dartmouth's proposed two new obelisks alongside
its existing bell tower