really really sticky slag on 7018 or 7014?

Grant Erwin

Sep 7, 2005, 11:21:29 PM9/7/05
Is it generally true that when slag adheres MUCH more tightly than usual on 7018
or even 7014 that your amps are too high?

Grant Erwin

Vernon

Sep 8, 2005, 1:23:16 AM9/8/05
I am under the impression that it means your amps are too low.

I will eagerly await the comments of the pros in here.

Wayne Cook

Sep 8, 2005, 2:06:59 AM9/8/05

I find it can happen with either to low or to much current. The main
thing that make slag stick is to have crevices for it to get into. If
you run to much current there will be under cut for it to get into. If
you run to little then there will be a crevice each side of the weld
for it to stick. A smooth flowing weld on each side without under cut
will usually allow it to pop off.

The main time that I have trouble getting rid of 7018 slag is when
welding in a deep groove that doesn't have enough slope on each side.
This traps the slag making it nearly impossible to get out without a
air chisel.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Ernie Leimkuhler

Sep 8, 2005, 2:58:43 AM9/8/05
In article <11hvbd5...@corp.supernews.com>,
Grant Erwin <gr...@NOSPAMkirkland.net> wrote:

I have had more problems with slag sticking with low amps than high amps.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams

R. Zimmerman

Sep 8, 2005, 8:35:20 AM9/8/05
People mentioned too high and too low heats. A highly crowned bead in a
groove creates problems. The solution in that case is to make flat beads.
Be highly motivated on this one because no matter how much you chip and
scrap along the edges of your bead the next weld will have a tough time
melting out the notch and you end up with wagon tacks.
E 7018 is very unforgiving when you try to correct a fault that was
created by the bead underneath.
Randy

"Grant Erwin" <gr...@NOSPAMkirkland.net> wrote in message

Vernon

Sep 8, 2005, 10:06:31 PM9/8/05
Wayne,

Thank you very much for that explanation. I've never had any trouble
whatsoever getting slag to pop right off 7018. On rare occasion it's
even curled up by itself.

By the way, I live in Brenham. So we're practically neighbors. Only
about two weeks ago I had a job in Huntsville and was sorely tempted to
look you up.

Regards,
Vernon

Vernon

Sep 8, 2005, 10:09:48 PM9/8/05
P.S. Your web page of your shop is the cat's pajamas.

Grant Erwin

Sep 8, 2005, 10:43:00 PM9/8/05
Wayne Cook wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:21:29 -0700, Grant Erwin
>

>>Is it generally true that when slag adheres MUCH more tightly than usual on 7018
>>or even 7014 that your amps are too high?
>>

> I find it can happen with either to low or to much current. The main
> thing that make slag stick is to have crevices for it to get into. If
> you run to much current there will be under cut for it to get into. If
> you run to little then there will be a crevice each side of the weld
> for it to stick. A smooth flowing weld on each side without under cut
> will usually allow it to pop off.
>
> The main time that I have trouble getting rid of 7018 slag is when
> welding in a deep groove that doesn't have enough slope on each side.
> This traps the slag making it nearly impossible to get out without a
> air chisel.

I was having trouble with slag sticking. I was trying to run a really small
fillet using 3/32" 7018 rod. As soon as I slowed down and let the puddle fill,
the slag sticking problem vanished. I think the too-fast travel created texture
that the slag got hold of.

Thanks to all, as usual. Great answers.

GWE

Clif Holland

Sep 8, 2005, 10:58:34 PM9/8/05
Look up Shamrock, TX. It's in the Panhandle. Not exactly neighbors.

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

"Vernon" <vt...@tucklings.com> wrote in message

Wayne Cook

Sep 8, 2005, 11:14:58 PM9/8/05
On 8 Sep 2005 19:09:48 -0700, "Vernon" <vt...@tucklings.com> wrote:

>P.S. Your web page of your shop is the cat's pajamas.

Thanks.

Wayne Cook

Sep 8, 2005, 11:14:47 PM9/8/05
On 8 Sep 2005 19:06:31 -0700, "Vernon" <vt...@tucklings.com> wrote:

>Wayne,
>
>Thank you very much for that explanation. I've never had any trouble
>whatsoever getting slag to pop right off 7018. On rare occasion it's
>even curled up by itself.

I ran several pounds today and it just took light taps to break it
free except for the deep groove which I welded. I had to work a little
harder in the deep groove but it wasn't to bad.

>By the way, I live in Brenham. So we're practically neighbors. Only
>about two weeks ago I had a job in Huntsville and was sorely tempted to
>look you up.

This is the second time you've said this. I'm confused considering
that Huntsville is 470 miles away and Brenham is 481 miles away.

Vernon

Sep 8, 2005, 11:43:12 PM9/8/05
In that case, I got my wires crossed <duh>. For some reason I thought
you were in Huntsville, Texas.

Sorry about that.

Wayne Cook

Sep 8, 2005, 11:53:53 PM9/8/05

That's the hardest type of weld to keep smooth. The larger welds you
automatically slow down allow to flow out properly but the tendency
with smaller welds is to go to fast. Good call on slowing down.

>Thanks to all, as usual. Great answers.

No problem. I'm just happy to give back to repay some portion of the
huge amount of knowledge I've gained from reading these groups.

Wayne Cook

Sep 8, 2005, 11:55:44 PM9/8/05
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:58:34 GMT, "Clif Holland" <cl...@avvid.com>
wrote:

>Look up Shamrock, TX. It's in the Panhandle. Not exactly neighbors.

Thanks. I was beginning to wonder about this.

Wayne Cook

Sep 9, 2005, 12:01:48 AM9/9/05

No problem. You're more than welcome to stop by. It's just a longer
trip than you've been stating. :-)

Martin H. Eastburn

Sep 9, 2005, 9:40:26 PM9/9/05
In the 'big house maybe ?!!'

I'm not far away - in Lufkin Tx. Deep East Texas, and local neighbor to Shamrock.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life