High Voltage Earth Return Distribution for Rural Areas

Nick

Feb 25, 2004, 7:16:16 AM2/25/04
Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the document mentioned above?

s falke

Feb 26, 2004, 4:51:16 PM2/26/04

"Nick" <jarv...@powerupremovespam.com.au> wrote...

> Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the document mentioned above?

Can't help you with that title, but a related phrase is: single-wire earth
return.

--s falke

RalphChristie

Aug 12, 2004, 6:30:02 AM8/12/04
Hope it is not too late....

Try to contact Eskom (South Africa) for some papers (www.eskom.co.za)

SCSASABB6, Distribution Standard, Part 4, Section 6

I also have a book by C.H.L. Sander, "An earthing design guide for
single-wire earth return (SWER) systems in the Northen Cape region"
This book was a tesis for his degree at the Technikon Free State, South
Africa.

Some of his references:

Britten, A.C. Single-wire earth return systems in Eskom. Draft Version
1. Johannesburg: Eskom Technology Research and Investigation Group, July
1996
Cass, J. Paper presented on SWER Earthing methods. Australian
visit: Rockhampton, 1997
Coulter, B Low cost Distribution for Rural Electrification in
Australia SWER systems. Paper presented at the World Bank Electric Power
design Workshop, Washington. Australia: Victoria, May 1993
Dowsett, A.D. Single-wire Transmission. Australia: Queensland, 29 April
1954
Drew, N.P. Single-wire Earth Return Distribution Systems - Economical
Rural Electrification. Distribution Engineering Department. State
Electricity Commission of Victoria. Australia: Brisbane, October 1988
Eskom Transmission Engineering. Single-wire earth return. Johannesburg:
Eskom 1990
Geldenhuys, H.J. Paper presented on step and touch potentials around a
SWER Electrode and SWER Earthing in Villages. Bloemfontein: Eskom May 1997

Harvey, J.L.W. Single-wire Earth Return High Voltage Distribution for
Victorian Rural Areas. Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Transactions.
Australia, May 1959
High Voltage Earth Return Distribution for Rural Areas, Fourth Edition.
The Electricity Authority of New South Wales. Australia, June 1978
High Voltage Earth Return Distribution for Rural Areas, Third Edition. The
Electricity Authority of New South Wales. Australia, June 1968
There is 40 references. Australia, New Zealand and South-Africa seems to
be the countries with the most info regarding SWER-systems. Contact the
local suppliers of electricity in these countries.

Hope it helps
Regards

Ralph Christie

conrad

Aug 26, 2004, 5:42:27 PM8/26/04
Rural electrification and SWER is covered in www.ruralpower.org
including a description on using SWER, the links section includes
downloads and further references. There also may be a South African
standard (SABs) standard on SWER and there are also other South
African guidelines around, which I would like to get a copy of. I have
not had much luck with ESKOM in the past.

There is an Australian Standard (AS) on SWER isolating and
distribution transformers which may also cover earthing. This standard
can be purchased electronically directly from the AS website as a pdf.

SWER was originally patented by Lloyd Mandeno of New Zealand and for a
while he also held the Australian patent (now lapsed). The above site
has a pdf of Mandeno's original paper on SWER, which is great
historical reading.

If you have a direct question on using SWER please feel free to
contact me.

Regards

Conrad Holland