Sony STR-AV570 -- Really weird problem

David Faver

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
I have a Sony STR-AV570 that I recently acquired 2nd hand.

I plugged it up, and everything worked great for about 2 weeks.

Then my wife reported late one night that the "stereo was going crazy"!

The stereo was off when we went to bed, but had somehow come to life.
The unit was continually clicking, about once per second, and rather loudly.
The "surround" LED was lighting in sync with the clicking.

When I tried to power the unit on, the "P" (Protection) LED lit up, and
the unit would no longer respond to any button pushing. I unplugged the
receiver, and went back to bed. The next morning, I plugged it back in,
and everything worked great.

Then, about 2 weeks later, the same thing happened. This time, however,
unplugging
and replugging the AC power did not fix it. I unplugged the speakers, other
inputs
and outputs with the idea that I would nose around and see what I could see.
When I got the unit on the kitchen table and replugged the AC, however,
everything
appeared fine. I took the unit back to the entertainment center, and it
worked great.
It was used most every day for an hour or 2 with no problems at all, until a
week later.

Same symptom. Even leaving the AC power unplugged overnight failed to
remedy
the problem. Unhooked everything(tape, CD, VCR, speakers, antennas) and
took it to the kitchen table. Again, it now was working well. Returned it
to the
entertainment center, and once again all is well.

Any ideas what is wrong. I am no expert at stereos, but I do design
computers for
a living, so I understand all the fundamentals. This is a really weird one.

Thanks,
Dave

craig osborn

Aug 26, 2000, 8:14:11 PM8/26/00
David check for cold or intermittant solder connections also check ground
(chassis) connections of PCB's a problem in sony's
JEFF

David Faver <fa...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Jerry G.

Aug 27, 2000, 1:27:10 AM8/27/00
Check for any intermittants on the circuit board, especialy around the
output stage, and powersupply. The components run hot in these areas,
and can give some problems.

Also, there is a chance that the output devices could have loosened up
on the heatsyncs and are getting too hot. They would be changing
their characteristics too much, thus tripping ths safety circuit.

I have also had problems in these recievers types with the safety
relay. I remove it from the circuit board, carefully open the case,
and clean the cotacts. This is difficult to do if you are not used to
doing it. If the relay is very bad, then getting a new one from
Sony, and changing it is a good decision.

--

Jerry Greenberg

Email: jerr...@hotmail.com
Home Page: http://www.zoom-one.com
Components: http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
Products: http://shop.affinia.com/jerryg50/Store1/
Navigation: http://www.zoom-one.com/navigati.htm
Personal: http://www.total.net/~jerryg

Electronic Components, And Navigation Compasses

============ Message Separator ===============

Chuck

Aug 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/27/00
On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:32:16 -0500, "David Faver" <fa...@swbell.net>
wrote:

This receiver will do this if the screw that attaches the black ground
wire from the front display circut board to the main metal chassis
loosens up. Tighten it and the screw on the back that supplies ground
for the tuner board and probably the problem will disappear. Chuck.

jacks...@webtv.net

Aug 28, 2000, 12:40:45 AM8/28/00
"If You Like Sign My Guest Book, Or Check Out My Homepage, And See My Pic... At The Bottom Of This Page" "If I Die At 43 ... Wont You Bury Me In The SUNSHINE ... Please Let Me Know That Your Still Mine ... Thou I Know My LOVE For You Is Oh Sooo Strong ... And When The Grass Grows Over Me ... Let Me Know That You Still LOVE Me ... Never Put Nobody Else Above Me ... Then I'll Know My LOVE For You Will Always GROW" !!! "Then God way up in Heven for whatever it was worth ... Thought he have a big ol' party and call it planet earth" !!! ... click for Chicopee Massachusetts forcast

[  Sign my GuestBook ] - [  Read my GuestBook  ]
[ GuestBook by TheGuestBook.com ]

~ Jackstraw20's homepage ~
~ My Pic ~

jacks...@webtv.net

Aug 28, 2000, 2:31:42 AM8/28/00
Sorry for the graphics wont do it anymore ... By the way the model # of
the T.V is KV-20TS29

AndyPandy

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
when they say fixed images they mean days not hours . It is only if the image does not change over long periods that the phosphors on the rear of the tube faceplate will get chemically burnt,causing permanent discolouration in that area
I was just reading my manual and it said that if you have games webtv
computers ect... on it to keep the brightness and contrast at low
settings cause of a fix image  on high brightness and contrast settings
cause the image may be permanently imprinted onto the screen... but they
don't say how low,,,,, I have my settings at ... Brightness at 1/4....
and contrast at 3/4 is that good enough does anyone know thanx in
advance

jacks...@webtv.net

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
Thanks alot Andy ......

Tom

Aug 29, 2000, 12:07:28 AM8/29/00
I can't believe it went this long before the ground problem started
acting up. Put a lock washer under the ground wire that runs from the
display board to the heat sink screw (front center). Check all the
perimeter screws around the boards. Tighten all the screws on the rear
apron that look like ground screws (they are silver not black). Sony
had a SB out on this years ago.

Please unplug it first!

Tom

vea...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2018, 7:29:15 PM1/21/18
I have the same problem, the problem was the speakers that are working under 8 ohms, then change i change'it.

Terry Schwartz

Jan 21, 2018, 7:37:35 PM1/21/18
Was that 18 years ago?

vhm....@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2019, 9:14:17 AM6/6/19
I have the same problem, Sony reciever str-av570, that keeps going into protect mode intermittently, even when the reciever is off, will intermittently do relay click and loudness amber led(s) on the front will glow gradually, off, and repeat till I unplug it. Back in 2003-2004, I took my reciever to a authorized sony service center that did not know how to fix it, but charged me $35 to inspect device anyways. From the replies on this post, looks like a good place to start. Thanks for sharing!

Chuck

Jun 6, 2019, 11:14:02 AM6/6/19
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 06:14:14 -0700 (PDT), vhm....@gmail.com wrote:

>I have the same problem, Sony reciever str-av570, that keeps going into protect mode intermittently, even when the reciever is off, will intermittently do relay click and loudness amber led(s) on the front will glow gradually, off, and repeat till I unplug it. Back in 2003-2004, I took my reciever to a authorized sony service center that did not know how to fix it, but charged me $35 to inspect device anyways. From the replies on this post, looks like a good place to start. Thanks for sharing!
Common problem back in the day. Solder a wire from the front panel
circuit board ground to the main board ground and another to the metal
chassis. Tighten all board screws. (Did warranty work for Sony Audio)

bruce2...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2019, 9:58:30 AM6/30/19
On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 9:14:17 AM UTC-4, vhm....@gmail.com wrote:
> I have the same problem, Sony reciever str-av570, that keeps going into protect mode intermittently, even when
> the reciever is off, will intermittently do relay click and loudness amber led(s) on the front will glow gradually,
> off, and repeat till I unplug it. Back in 2003-2004, I took my reciever to a authorized sony service center that
> did not know how to fix it

Would you spend the money to train somebody to fix something like that 18 years later - especially when you could be addressing more late-model stuff? (I'm just sayin')

dc...@bellsouth.net

May 14, 2020, 11:06:45 AM5/14/20
Well just saying, this information exactly describes the problem in 2020 of my str-av570, so now that I have found the helpful notes, I will give it a try. I think their comments are completely current.