home-brew Freon TF substitutes?

Nomen Nescio

Oct 24, 2011, 8:33:05 AM10/24/11
I last saw this in the mid 1990s. I knew a warehouse that still
had some drums hidden away...
Bloody best cleaner ever. Although some liked Genklene,
now also banned.
There are some commercial spray cleaners that claim to be
almost as good. I would like something in bulk for dipping
computer boards. Isopropyl alchohol is suggested by some,
but has 9% water usually. I saw somebody write that they
used a mix of methylated spirits and naphtha. Sound like
it would clean stuff, but is flammable.
Know of anything?

Jeff Layman

Oct 24, 2011, 11:20:14 AM10/24/11
On 24/10/2011 13:33, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> I last saw this in the mid 1990s. I knew a warehouse that still
> had some drums hidden away...
> Bloody best cleaner ever. Although some liked Genklene,
> now also banned.
> There are some commercial spray cleaners that claim to be
> almost as good. I would like something in bulk for dipping
> computer boards. Isopropyl alchohol is suggested by some,
> but has 9% water usually.

Not sure where you are, but isopropyl alcohol is usually available 99.9%
pure, with a negligible water content.

--

Jeff

gregz

Oct 24, 2011, 8:29:14 PM10/24/11
And by the time it's dried, it's picked up a lot of water.

Greg

gregz

Oct 24, 2011, 9:02:18 PM10/24/11
I always blew heated air after applying alcohol, to remove the water
droplets left.

Greg

isw

Oct 25, 2011, 12:17:55 AM10/25/11
In article <db3eeb3e00193c24...@dizum.com>,
At least some (perhaps not all) methylated hydrocarbons are completely
non-flammable, and also are heavier than water and will not mix with it.
I am sure that is true of methylene chloride.

Be careful, though; it is a powerful solvent, removing, among other
things, *all* the oil from your skin, if you have much contact with it.
It is absorbed through the skin, too, and hurts/burns.

It may also neatly soften or dissolve a lot of the plastics used in
electronics; I don't know.

Isaac

Orson Cart

Oct 25, 2011, 9:16:15 AM10/25/11

isw <i...@witzend.com> wrote:

>At least some (perhaps not all) methylated hydrocarbons are completely
>
>non-flammable, and also are heavier than water and will not mix with
>it.
>I am sure that is true of methylene chloride.
>
>Be careful, though; it is a powerful solvent, removing, among other
>
>things, *all* the oil from your skin, if you have much contact with
>it.
>It is absorbed through the skin, too, and hurts/burns.
>
>It may also neatly soften or dissolve a lot of the plastics used in
>
>electronics; I don't know.
>
>Isaac

Methylene chloride is definitely not for electronic components.
It is used a paint stripper. I am sure it would require rinsing
off quickly with another solvent, otherwise your PCB would be
fuggered.
The sadly-missed chloro/fluoro-carbon cleaners would not damage the useful
stuff like plastics, rubber, lacquer, metal, paper et ecetera.

Jim Yanik

Oct 25, 2011, 6:06:22 PM10/25/11
gregz <ze...@comcast.net> wrote in news:326610463341166402.448206zekor-
comca...@news.eternal-september.org:
Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner,available at Wal-Mart of auto stores.
CRC makes a spray can of it. # 05110

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Arfa Daily

Oct 25, 2011, 9:08:53 PM10/25/11

"Jeff Layman" <JMLa...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
I'd go along with that. The stuff specified as 'electronics grade' is
typically at least 99.7% to get that rating

Arfa

Jim Yanik

Oct 26, 2011, 11:59:19 AM10/26/11
"Arfa Daily" <arfa....@ntlworld.com> wrote in
the IPA commonly available at drug stores is usually 90-91%,I believe,at
least in the US.

klem kedidelhopper

Oct 26, 2011, 6:32:25 PM10/26/11
On Oct 26, 11:59 am, Jim Yanik <jya...@abuse.gov> wrote:
> "Arfa Daily" <arfa.da...@ntlworld.com> wrote innews:H4Jpq.2929$M61....@newsfe09.ams2:
>

> > "Jeff Layman" <JMLay...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
You usually need to get it from an industrial supply house. I buy it
by the 5 gallon pail. It is commonly known as
"Lab grade anhydrous isopropyl, 99%". This is one step below
pharmaceutical grade but it's still pretty pure. Lenny

Arfa Daily

Oct 26, 2011, 8:39:57 PM10/26/11

"Jim Yanik" <jya...@abuse.gov> wrote in message
Probably the same here, which is why you have to go to an electronic parts
supplier to get the electronics grade one

Arfa

Michael A. Terrell

Oct 26, 2011, 10:23:33 PM10/26/11

Jim Yanik wrote:

> "Arfa Daily" ?arfa....@ntlworld.com? wrote in
>
> ?
> ?
> ? "Jeff Layman" ?JMLa...@invalid.invalid? wrote in message
> ? news:j83vnf$cjh$2...@news.albasani.net...
> ?? On 24/10/2011 13:33, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> ??? I last saw this in the mid 1990s. I knew a warehouse that still
> ??? had some drums hidden away...
> ??? Bloody best cleaner ever. Although some liked Genklene,
> ??? now also banned.
> ??? There are some commercial spray cleaners that claim to be
> ??? almost as good. I would like something in bulk for dipping
> ??? computer boards. Isopropyl alchohol is suggested by some,
> ??? but has 9% water usually.
> ??
> ?? Not sure where you are, but isopropyl alcohol is usually available
> ?? 99.9% pure, with a negligible water content.
> ??
> ?? --
> ??
> ?? Jeff
> ?
> ? I'd go along with that. The stuff specified as 'electronics grade' is
> ? typically at least 99.7% to get that rating
> ?
> ? Arfa
> ?
> ?
>
> the IPA commonly available at drug stores is usually 90-91%,I believe,at
> least in the US.

50%, 70% and 90%. I have asked several drug stores about getting
purer IPA and was told 90% is the best they can get. I use a lot of 90%
to prep for insulin shots, so I try to keep three or four bottles on
hand. There are times that I can't find 90% for a couple months at a
time.

Jim Yanik

Oct 27, 2011, 12:13:57 PM10/27/11
"Arfa Daily" <arfa....@ntlworld.com> wrote in
I don't know if US parts suppliers even carry IPA in any percentage.

besides,after you open your bottle of 99% IPA,it probably absorbs enough
moisture from the air to drop it to 91%..... ;-)

Hmm,IIRC,Everclear (grain alcohol from a liquor store) is 95% ethanol.
I believe it's the highest % of alcohol lawfully sold for drinking
purposes.

Michael A. Terrell

Oct 27, 2011, 1:39:02 PM10/27/11

Jim Yanik wrote:

> I don't know if US parts suppliers even carry IPA in any percentage.
>
> besides,after you open your bottle of 99% IPA,it probably absorbs enough
> moisture from the air to drop it to 91%..... ;-)

What Microdyne bought came in a 5 gallon can, and it had a valve to
dispense the IPA.

> Hmm,IIRC,Everclear (grain alcohol from a liquor store) is 95% ethanol.
> I believe it's the highest % of alcohol lawfully sold for drinking
> purposes.

I found a bottle of 198 proof whiskey in the barn on a farm some
friends had just bought, along with spurs for cockfighting. That was
back in the '60s and the former owner had died so there was no reason to
call the police. We just threw the junk into their scrap pile.

There are Google hits for 198 proof Everclear & white lightning.

et...@whidbey.com

Oct 27, 2011, 3:17:07 PM10/27/11
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:13:57 -0500, Jim Yanik <jya...@abuse.gov>
wrote:
Everclear is 95% because that's the azeotrope of the water and alcohol
mixture. This means that it boils at a lower temperature than pure
alcohol or pure water. So the 95/5 mixture boils before the pure
ethonal boils and that's what ends up in the bottle. When alloying
metals a similar thing happens and you get an alloy that melts at a
lower temperatute than either of the pure metals. In that case it is
the eutectic.
Eric

Dave Platt

Oct 27, 2011, 4:45:02 PM10/27/11
In article <n2bja757aadgj2n57...@4ax.com>,
<et...@whidbey.com> wrote:

>Everclear is 95% because that's the azeotrope of the water and alcohol
>mixture. This means that it boils at a lower temperature than pure
>alcohol or pure water. So the 95/5 mixture boils before the pure
>ethonal boils and that's what ends up in the bottle. When alloying
>metals a similar thing happens and you get an alloy that melts at a
>lower temperatute than either of the pure metals. In that case it is
>the eutectic.

As I understand it, in order to get a higher concentration of ethanol,
you have to remove the water through selective adsorbtion, or by
binding the water chemically.

Absolute ethanol is *not* something you want to try to drink (it'll
burn your tissues due to its very strong affinity to the water therein).

--
Dave Platt <dpl...@radagast.org> AE6EO

gregz

Oct 27, 2011, 8:00:37 PM10/27/11
Dave Platt <dpl...@radagast.org> wrote:
> In article <n2bja757aadgj2n57...@4ax.com>,
> <et...@whidbey.com> wrote:
>
>> Everclear is 95% because that's the azeotrope of the water and alcohol
>> mixture. This means that it boils at a lower temperature than pure
>> alcohol or pure water. So the 95/5 mixture boils before the pure
>> ethonal boils and that's what ends up in the bottle. When alloying
>> metals a similar thing happens and you get an alloy that melts at a
>> lower temperatute than either of the pure metals. In that case it is
>> the eutectic.
>
> As I understand it, in order to get a higher concentration of ethanol,
> you have to remove the water through selective adsorbtion, or by
> binding the water chemically.
>
> Absolute ethanol is *not* something you want to try to drink (it'll
> burn your tissues due to its very strong affinity to the water therein).

The dryers used to get higher than 95% are harmful to ingest. It's a small
percentage but bad stuff.

Greg

gregz

Oct 27, 2011, 8:00:39 PM10/27/11
Probably similar to lab grade 95% higher grades cannot be drunk. They used
to use lab grade to spike the punch. Had some high purity isopropyl. By the
time the alcohol dries, there is water droplets on boards. Must be dried
with warm air.

99% turns to 100% water.

Greg

gregz

Oct 28, 2011, 11:57:59 AM10/28/11
Adding to the problem, the cooling effect from alcohol evaporation causes
condensation of water vapor.

Greg

Cydrome Leader

Nov 15, 2011, 6:35:48 PM11/15/11
plus they didn't leave condensation- not really sure how they evporated
and took the water with them.

Jim Yanik

Nov 15, 2011, 7:17:57 PM11/15/11
Cydrome Leader <pres...@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote in
try CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner,#05110. no residue.
get it as Wal-Mart,or auto stores.

Dave Platt

Nov 15, 2011, 8:07:29 PM11/15/11

In article <j9ut0k$a1s$2...@reader1.panix.com>,
Cydrome Leader <pres...@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>> Methylene chloride is definitely not for electronic components.
>> It is used a paint stripper. I am sure it would require rinsing
>> off quickly with another solvent, otherwise your PCB would be
>> fuggered.

Burns like hell if it gets on your skin, too.

>> The sadly-missed chloro/fluoro-carbon cleaners would not damage the useful
>> stuff like plastics, rubber, lacquer, metal, paper et ecetera.
>
>plus they didn't leave condensation- not really sure how they evporated
>and took the water with them.

I'd guess that they had a low heat of vaporization... they didn't have
to "steal" much energy per volume in order to evaporate. This would
minimize the degree to which the surface is cooled, and thus reduce
the chance of dropping it to the dew point and causing condensation.

William Sommerwerck

Nov 15, 2011, 8:38:27 PM11/15/11
Not all CFCs are equally effective at destroying ozone. Is it possible there
are still cleaners using these "less-effective" Freons?