OT: suspicious "official" software, part 2

William Sommerwerck

Feb 28, 2014, 1:14:19 PM2/28/14
I'm looking for specific answers, not trying to start a general discussion.

I've recently received update information from HP (about video drivers for my
4530s notebook), and Intel (via Microsoft), about video drivers for my ASUS
mobo. The former are new drivers for the 3000-series graphics system in the
CPU and the discrete AMD graphics system. The latter is a new driver for the
CPU's 4000-series graphics system.

The odds are pretty good these are safe, and won't leave me with unbootable
bricks. But I've had problems with "official" software over the years, one of
them recently.

Does anyone have experience updating their systems with these or related
drivers?

Thanks in advance.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."
-- Edwin Land

N_Cook

Feb 28, 2014, 1:19:22 PM2/28/14
If it ain't broke, don't poke

dave

Feb 28, 2014, 1:36:33 PM2/28/14
I'd find a more active MsgBd than this one. I never install "updates"
until there's been enough time for bad ones to get noticed. Just about
anything has a bulletin board/forum these days. Especially ASUS and
other relatively hi-end and popular stuff. The ownership loves to talk
about the goodies.

William Sommerwerck

Feb 28, 2014, 2:12:08 PM2/28/14
"N_Cook" wrote in message news:leqjv4$91i$1...@dont-email.me...

> If it ain't broke, don't poke.

Good advice. But in the case of the 4530s, it is "broke". Switching between
integral and discrete graphics has never worked properly, and many, many
owners have complained about it.

William Sommerwerck

Feb 28, 2014, 2:13:05 PM2/28/14
"dave" wrote in message

> I'd find a more active MsgBd than this one.

Good suggestion. Thanks.

Adrian C

Feb 28, 2014, 5:55:19 PM2/28/14
On 28/02/2014 18:14, William Sommerwerck wrote:
> I'm looking for specific answers, not trying to start a general discussion.
>
> I've recently received update information from HP (about video drivers
> for my 4530s notebook), and Intel (via Microsoft), about video drivers
> for my ASUS mobo. The former are new drivers for the 3000-series
> graphics system in the CPU and the discrete AMD graphics system. The
> latter is a new driver for the CPU's 4000-series graphics system.
>
> The odds are pretty good these are safe, and won't leave me with
> unbootable bricks. But I've had problems with "official" software over
> the years, one of them recently.
>
> Does anyone have experience updating their systems with these or related
> drivers?

If it's a newish laptop, could be worth doing. However, if the machine
been in the market sometime the updates could be related to something
minor. Maybe something related to bad game compatability. There should
be a document within the update that you can read to determine if any
fixed issues are relevant. The trouble is that some auto update
mechanisms (especiallly from MS) don't allow these documents to be read
prior to making the update.

It is possible to make yourself a 'system restore' point, or
alternatively make a restorable image of the PC OS, or a good backup of
your important data before doing so. HP don't have the best record of
getting drivers right first time - I suspect many come straight from the
device manufacturers with minimal HP quality control.

Failing system restore, you can boot up in safe mode and remove duff
drivers without much grief.

If you want much less grief, skill up on linux and ditch windows. Being
unecessarily overengineered and complicated is not clever, given the
basic tasks most people use their technology for.

--
Adrian C