can u provide a diagram on how to thread the rubber belts for the tape decks

Ed Tom

May 29, 2015, 9:37:03 AM5/29/15
Hi, Can you help with a diagram for the threading of the rubber belt on the
Aiwa NSX 999 tape decks? Tks for yr anticipated help.

Tim Schwartz

May 31, 2015, 8:03:52 AM5/31/15
On 5/29/2015 9:37 AM, Ed Tom wrote:
> Hi, Can you help with a diagram for the threading of the rubber belt on the
> Aiwa NSX 999 tape decks? Tks for yr anticipated help.

Ed,

If you mean replacing the belt without taking the mechanism apart, you
probably can't. In general you'd have to take the mechanism out of the
chassis, and usually have to remove at least the capstan flywheel thrust
bearing. Most belts don't thread in.

While I don't know your specific model, most cassette transports have
the belts installed during assembly. You'll have to look at the service
manual for your model to be sure. It often can take a couple of hours,
even if you done this many times before.

Regards,
Tim

Arfa Daily

Jun 1, 2015, 8:20:40 PM6/1/15

"Tim Schwartz" <t...@bristolnj.com> wrote in message
Oh Tim, you lightweight ! :-) It's amazing what can be done with a big
flat-bladed screwdriver and a dentist's pick !

That said, I struggled this morning with a NAD cassette deck. The whole
front had to come off, then the tape deck had to be unscrewed from the
front. Then the bearing / motor plate had to come off which was secured by
just one screw, but then had to slide in 'three dimensions' to get it off
the chassis out the way. Removing this allowed the spiral tension spring for
the cam gear lever to come off the post that it sat on, normally held in
place by the plate. About the only good thing was that a temporary anchor
post for the belt was provided to allow it to be put round the flywheel and
held in tension until the motor pulley was back where it should be when the
plate was back on. And what a bitchin' job putting it back together was. It
was impossible to get that tension spring back in place and get it to stay,
in tension, whilst that plate was refitted. But when the plate was refitted,
it was almost impossible to wind it up the 3/4 turn necessary to get the end
back under its locating tang. I finished up grabbing the end with a
hemostat - such a useful tool for this sort of work - then using the
dentist's pick to pull it round whilst guiding it with the hemostat, and
finally using the hemostat to hook it into place before releasing it. How
many attempts ? I dunno, three, four maybe ?

Not as long as two hours, but probably more than one, and like you, I've
been doing them for years. Not so often now of course, but several a week,
back in the day ...

Arfa

jurb...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2015, 10:34:21 PM6/1/15
Y'know, we are to the point in technology where it would be cheaper to just use three motors. Would give alot more functionality as well.

Mark Zacharias

Jun 3, 2015, 8:35:51 AM6/3/15
"Arfa Daily" <arfa....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Some of the higher-end Aiwa decks were the worst. In addition to the
mechanics - there was a cluster - f**k of hard wiring to work around.

Mark Z.

N_Cook

Jun 3, 2015, 11:26:59 AM6/3/15
Ah the feindish Aiwa AD 6900 lump from 1970s, just. Someone wanted me to
repair one 2 months back , via post, until he found what 2 lots of
postage would be.

Mark Zacharias

Jun 4, 2015, 6:52:04 AM6/4/15
"N_Cook" <div...@tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
Yeah - sometimes I wonder if I'm just too lazy, but on the other hand there
was never a reason these things had to be so difficult to service.
I think the design engineers went from indifference regarding service
issues - straight over to antagonism.

"You want to service this? F--k you."

"Our marketing guys just want to sell more new junk."

Mark Z.