Re: Is Class 1 laser safe enough for baby eyes?

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Jul 31, 2018, 9:04:00 AM7/31/18
On 7/31/2018 8:13 PM, Paul wrote:
>     however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
>     magnifying optic with larger aperture."
>
> Looks like that baby is safe. Nothing to worry about.

There are counters with handheld laser scanner. And those handheld
scanners are NOT placed carefully to avoid customers, at least I saw
that in Hong Kong.

Did they do it deliberately? Is it a secret laser experiment? Well... :)

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):

Phil Hobbs

Jul 31, 2018, 10:07:45 AM7/31/18
On 07/31/2018 09:03 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 7/31/2018 8:13 PM, Paul wrote:
>>      however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
>>      magnifying optic with larger aperture."
>>
>> Looks like that baby is safe. Nothing to worry about.
>
> There are counters with handheld laser scanner. And those handheld
> scanners are NOT placed carefully to avoid customers, at least I saw
> that in Hong Kong.
>
> Did they do it deliberately? Is it a secret laser experiment? Well... :)

That beam is moving so fast that the dwell time on the retina is really,
really short--probably tens of microseconds. That helps a lot.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Jul 31, 2018, 10:27:25 AM7/31/18
On 7/31/2018 10:09 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:

> That beam is moving so fast that the dwell time on the retina is really,
> really short--probably tens of microseconds.  That helps a lot.

And you are not wearing those handheld laser scanners like a VR
glass/helmet ...oh well... Um....

Is there safety classification for VR glasses/helmets? :)

peterw...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 1:25:32 PM7/31/18
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:27:25 AM UTC-4, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 7/31/2018 10:09 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> >
> > That beam is moving so fast that the dwell time on the retina is really,
> > really short--probably tens of microseconds.  That helps a lot.
>
> And you are not wearing those handheld laser scanners like a VR
> glass/helmet ...oh well... Um....

http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/Spreadsheet---laser-classes.pdf

Some useful information on laser classes.

And, yes, there are safety standards for VR glasses.

https://www.fi.edu/virtual-reality/product-safety-information

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Aug 1, 2018, 11:09:14 AM8/1/18
On 8/1/2018 1:25 AM, pf...@aol.com wrote:

>> And you are not wearing those handheld laser scanners like a VR
>> glass/helmet ...oh well... Um....
>>

> http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/Spreadsheet---laser-classes.pdf
>
> Some useful information on laser classes.

Thanks

> And, yes, there are safety standards for VR glasses.
>
> https://www.fi.edu/virtual-reality/product-safety-information

Thanks.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Aug 3, 2018, 4:57:32 AM8/3/18
On 8/1/2018 3:19 AM, George Herold wrote:

> I think class 1 is less than 1mW in the visible.
> We sell a class 3B laser.. it's in the NIR... no blink reflex.
> (I always encourage people to buy extra laser goggles.)

Do you trust and buy Class 1 laser products manufactured by Chinese and
Asians? :)

peterw...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2018, 7:06:43 AM8/3/18
I try to purchase as little as possible of Chinese origin. Too often the quality is simply not quite there yet. Obviously there are exceptions - pretty much the entire smart-phone industry is centered in China. Another reason to avoid China is that it is fast becoming the most polluted country on the planet and working hard to get there as fast as possible. purchasing goods from more regulated sources, if possible, is better for the planet as a whole.

On the other hand, most Asian countries starting with Japan, South Korea and others have a very nearly fanatical commitment to quality as it applies to automobiles and similar moving parts.