Need to make a THIN stylus for an iPad (that doesn't cost $75)

ceg

Aug 29, 2015, 11:59:41 PM8/29/15
A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/intuos-creative-stylus-2
http://www.adonit.net

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it
work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available
materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?

MJC

Aug 30, 2015, 6:57:57 AM8/30/15
In article <mrtv37$srq$3...@news.mixmin.net>, curt.gul...@gmail.com
says...
Surely Apple users are not meant to be concerned about cost?

Mike.

N_Cook

Aug 30, 2015, 7:28:14 AM8/30/15
Cactus thorns were used for gramophone pickup needls at one time,
probably tough enough, but not so hard to score boro-silicate glass
perhaps. So for a really "green" eco-product line , go for a cactus
thorn glued with pine resin into a swan quill. 80 dollars anyone?
that'll do nicely

amdx

Aug 30, 2015, 10:03:27 AM8/30/15
I don't think scorn of Apple users is acceptable in these PC times.
Wait a few years, maybe we can rid of some of the BullS%^t Political
Correctness.
Can't even have Taco night at the frat house without being called racist.
Paraphrase of a Greg Gutfeld line.

Mikek

MJC

Aug 30, 2015, 10:50:22 AM8/30/15
In article <mrv2c1$510$1...@dont-email.me>, noj...@knology.net says...

> On 8/30/2015 5:57 AM, MJC wrote:
> >
> > Surely Apple users are not meant to be concerned about cost?
> >
> > Mike.
> >

> I don't think scorn of Apple users is acceptable in these PC times.

Since my thrust was that Apple users (purchasers) are well off, it is
more a matter of envy than scorn...

Mike.

ceg

Aug 30, 2015, 11:35:23 AM8/30/15
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:28:05 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

> Cactus thorns were used for gramophone pickup needls at one time,
> probably tough enough, but not so hard to score boro-silicate glass
> perhaps. So for a really "green" eco-product line , go for a cactus
> thorn glued with pine resin into a swan quill. 80 dollars anyone?
> that'll do nicely

Does cactus thorn have the capacitive effect that is required?

ceg

Aug 30, 2015, 11:36:24 AM8/30/15
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:50:12 +0100, MJC wrote:

> Since my thrust was that Apple users (purchasers) are well off, it is
> more a matter of envy than scorn...

Mostly I'm asking how the stylus works.

Like, why doesn't a pencil work?
Why doesn't a q-tip work?

What's a stylus do that a finger does but that a paperclip doesn't do?

amdx

Aug 30, 2015, 12:56:07 PM8/30/15
Oh you mean the stylus is proprietary! he says with scorn, or was it envy.

Mikek

I don't know the answer, it could be interesting.

Kenny

Aug 30, 2015, 1:25:09 PM8/30/15
See differences between resistive and capacitive touchscreens:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/differences-capacitive-resistive-touchscreens-si/
Assuming iPad is capacitive loads of links for making your own:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=make+a+capacitive+stylus&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=nTvjVafJFLGd7gbrpbiACQ

Kenny

Michael Black

Aug 30, 2015, 2:00:50 PM8/30/15
First you have to determine what the pad uses.

My Blackberry Playbook uses some odd system, nothing I tried or cooked up
worked. My Microsoft Surface 2, however, seems to not be picky, I can use
a 1.99 stylus from the dollar store.

Michael

KB

Aug 31, 2015, 7:05:02 PM8/31/15
Look on ebay for thin stylus - a few cents to <$20 seems to cover the range.
I got 10 for $4 when I got my tablet and am using my 4th one after 3 yrs.

"ceg" <curt.gul...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Frank

Aug 31, 2015, 7:15:03 PM8/31/15
How about a toothpick?

Too small, maybe a chopstick.

You don't want to scratch the screen.

ceg

Aug 31, 2015, 10:16:11 PM8/31/15
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 18:25:10 +0100, Kenny wrote:

> Assuming iPad is capacitive loads of links for making your own:

I like the one made with the back end of a pencil, using a tack in the
eraser holding down a four-inch length of straightened paper clip.

I'll get to work on it right away.

ceg

Aug 31, 2015, 10:16:42 PM8/31/15
On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:14:52 -0400, Frank wrote:

> How about a toothpick?

A toothpick won't work.