Re: New computer scam ?

kreed

May 27, 2010, 7:31:35 PM5/27/10
On May 21, 8:03 am, Adrian Jansen <adr...@qq.vv.net> wrote:
> Interesting gambit:
>
> Get rung up by a voice with a thick accent ( you can guess the origin )
> claiming that my computer is generating errors and reporting them to
> M$soft.  Offers to send a technician to help fix the errors and restore
> computer to "full working order".  Cannot give details about which
> computer is generating the errors.  Cannot send a transcript of the
> error log to me - does not know my email address.  But has my name,
> street address and phone number - which anyone can get by looking in the
> phone book.  Assumes my computer is running Windoze, but does not know
> which version.  Suggests I run the error log report using eventwvr,
> which does show a few errors and warnings, but then I know about those,
> and M$soft specifically says that errors from this log are never sent to
>   M$soft.
>
> A good way of getting a bit of work and money ?
>
> An even better way of getting entry to a house with a view to casing the
> joint ?
>
> Maybe I'm just too suspicious.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
> Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.

Probably not the same "scam", but interesting just the same

http://www.news.com.au/business/breaking-news/charges-over-121m-software-scam/story-e6frfkur-1225872326218

Adrian Jansen

May 30, 2010, 9:16:55 PM5/30/10

Yes, sounds like a variation on the same idea.

IMHO many so-called registry cleaners are not much more than this.