ATX power supply fan noisy.

David Farber

Apr 28, 2010, 1:53:43 PM4/28/10
I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan. The
power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few places online that have them
listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is
prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
and not cost more than the power supply itself?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Adrian C

Apr 28, 2010, 2:09:01 PM4/28/10
On 28/04/2010 18:53, David Farber wrote:
> I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan. The
> power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
> continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
> 3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few places online that have them
> listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is
> prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
> and not cost more than the power supply itself?

Get the data sheet for that fan (it's probably old, hence out of
production), and compare with the information available on this page for
newer fans.

http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/

Then find your local retailers for the equivalent.

--
Adrian C

William Sommerwerck

Apr 28, 2010, 2:32:55 PM4/28/10
Is there a Fry's near you? It has a variety of fans, in various sizes. You
can probably find a close or exact match.

David Farber

Apr 28, 2010, 2:47:42 PM4/28/10
William Sommerwerck wrote:
> Is there a Fry's near you? It has a variety of fans, in various
> sizes. You can probably find a close or exact match.

Yes, there are Fry's in my neighborhood. I will check it out.

UCLAN

Apr 28, 2010, 3:08:39 PM4/28/10
David Farber wrote:

> I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan. The
> power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
> continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
> 3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few places online that have them
> listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is
> prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
> and not cost more than the power supply itself?

Any 2-wire, 80mm, 12VDC, 0.30A (approx) will do. Got a Radio Shack nearby?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102826 will do.

Probably cheaper at some place like Frys.

D Yuniskis

Apr 28, 2010, 4:16:44 PM4/28/10
Hi David,

David Farber wrote:
> I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan. The
> power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
> continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
> 3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few places online that have them

Find another fan that has the same mounting holes (80mm -- note the
*thickness* of the fan, also!) and operates at 12V with <= 0.30A.
Chances are, it's just a generic fan.

If you have access to a lot of surplus fans, look for one
with a ball bearing *and* something that is "quiet" (assuming
noise is an issue).

Baron

Apr 28, 2010, 4:13:36 PM4/28/10
David Farber Inscribed thus:

> I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan.
> The power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is
> powered on continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a
> model number of, 3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few
> places online that have them listed but when I call they, don't have
> them in stock or the price is prohibitively expensive. Is there some
> generic fan that will replace this and not cost more than the power
> supply itself?
>
> Thanks for your reply.

Depends where you are my local sells them for £0.50p !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

AZ Nomad

Apr 28, 2010, 5:30:30 PM4/28/10

Sure, if you're to use cable ties and/or duct tape to mount it and assuming
the replacement isn't thicker than the original.

Otherwise, it's good idea to check the thickness and mounting method.

David Farber

Apr 28, 2010, 5:32:09 PM4/28/10

Is that, " �0.50p" some type of currency? (-;

How much is that in US dollars and cents?

Message has been deleted

Arfa Daily

Apr 28, 2010, 9:38:14 PM4/28/10

"David Farber" <farberbe...@aol.com> wrote in message

If you want long and quiet service, make sure that you get one with roller
bearings, not the cheapo sleeve bearings.

Arfa

Robert Macy

Apr 28, 2010, 10:09:01 PM4/28/10

If you caught it in time, you can try relubing the bearins which will
get you by for a while.

Remove from PC and soak in 30 weight oil, clean up, put back in

I got another 6 months out of mine

UCLAN

Apr 29, 2010, 12:38:15 AM4/29/10
AZ Nomad wrote:

Well, that particular model is no longer made, but the 3110 series were
1" (0.98") fans with a standard mounting hole pattern. The same hardware
that was used to mount his old fan would work on the RS model.

Andy

Apr 29, 2010, 5:03:21 AM4/29/10
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:53:43 -0700, "David Farber"
<farberbe...@aol.com> wrote:

>I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan. The
>power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
>continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
>3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few places online that have them
>listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is
>prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
>and not cost more than the power supply itself?
>
>Thanks for your reply.

COOLER MASTER SAF-B82-E1 80mm Case Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999069

baron

Apr 29, 2010, 8:27:01 AM4/29/10
JeffM Inscribed thus:

> David Farber wrote:
>>How much is that in US dollars and cents?
>>

> http://google.com/search?q=0.50+GBP+in+USD

Thanks Jeff. :-) Beat me to doing the conversion to 75cents.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

William R. Walsh

Apr 29, 2010, 9:30:15 AM4/29/10
Hi!

That NMB fan is actually a pretty good quality unit, although I have
seen some failed ones over the years.

What you might do to extend its lifetime is to simply oil the
bearings. That will quiet it down and keep it running for many more
years to come. Just lift the label, remove a little rubber plug (only
with some fans) and drop some light oil in there.

Even if you replace the fan, you might want to do the same thing to
the replacement. Doing so can drastically increase the lifetime of the
fan, especially if the replacement is cheap.

William

David Farber

Apr 29, 2010, 3:01:33 PM4/29/10
baron wrote:
> JeffM Inscribed thus:
>
>> David Farber wrote:
>>> How much is that in US dollars and cents?
>>>
>> http://google.com/search?q=0.50+GBP+in+USD
>
> Thanks Jeff. :-) Beat me to doing the conversion to 75cents.

Wow. I'm on the wrong side of the pond. )-:

David Farber

Apr 29, 2010, 3:04:31 PM4/29/10

Since this is for a client, it needs to last longer than 6 months. Also, the
cost of transporting it back and forth costs more than the fan replacement.

David Farber

Apr 29, 2010, 3:05:45 PM4/29/10

I think we have a winner! $6.99 and free shipping. Tough to beat that.

David Farber

Apr 29, 2010, 3:16:32 PM4/29/10

Hi William,

Thanks for the tip on extending the lifetime of the fan.

Baron

Apr 29, 2010, 3:51:32 PM4/29/10
David Farber Inscribed thus:

> baron wrote:
>> JeffM Inscribed thus:

>>> http://google.com/search?q=0.50+GBP+in+USD
>>
>> Thanks Jeff. :-) Beat me to doing the conversion to 75cents.
>
> Wow. I'm on the wrong side of the pond. )-:

Over here every man and his dog wants at least two in their PC tower
case. Some with pretty coloured lights that flash and change colour at
random. ;-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Baron

Apr 29, 2010, 3:56:05 PM4/29/10
David Farber Inscribed thus:

Not always a good idea. Some have a synthetic lubrication which will
turn into sludge if you add a non synthetic oil to it. You can
sometimes get away with it on sleeve bearings particularly older fans.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Arfa Daily

Apr 29, 2010, 8:07:18 PM4/29/10

"David Farber" <farberbe...@aol.com> wrote in message
And roller bearings too ! That one's gotta be your boy ...

Arfa

William R. Walsh

Apr 29, 2010, 8:22:45 PM4/29/10
Hi!

> Not always a good idea.

I doubt the tolerances are that close in this sort of application. From what
I've seen, and from pre-emptively oiling fans before they could fail, very
few fan makers provide much of any additional lubrication to the fan
bearings. It's a rare fan that I've exposed the bearings on and found a
chunk of grease in there.

Of the fans I've rejuvenated by oiling, only a few were unresponsive to
treatment or would not continue running. These were the cheapest of the
cheap--all the rest continue to run perfectly.

William

AZ Nomad

Apr 29, 2010, 11:47:49 PM4/29/10

>William

I've never had the any luck rejuvenating fans with lubrication after the
fan's bearings have started to howl. By that stage of the game, the fan's cheap
worn out plastic bearings have so much slop, that nothing short of perhaps axle
grease will fill the slop.

Franc Zabkar

Apr 30, 2010, 4:11:47 AM4/30/10
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 02:38:14 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
<arfa....@ntlworld.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>If you want long and quiet service, make sure that you get one with roller
>bearings, not the cheapo sleeve bearings.
>
>Arfa

Ceramic bearings appear to be even better:
http://www.ceramicafans.com/whyceramic.htm

- Franc Zabkar

Arfa Daily

Apr 30, 2010, 8:34:25 PM4/30/10

"Franc Zabkar" <fza...@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message

Haven't had any experience of them yet.

Arfa

UCLAN

May 1, 2010, 12:13:42 AM5/1/10
Arfa Daily wrote:

>>>If you want long and quiet service, make sure that you get one with roller
>>>bearings, not the cheapo sleeve bearings.
>>>
>>>Arfa
>>
>>Ceramic bearings appear to be even better:
>>http://www.ceramicafans.com/whyceramic.htm
>>
>>- Franc Zabkar
>>--
>>Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
>
> Haven't had any experience of them yet.

While ball-bearing fans have the longevity edge over cheap sleeve bearing
fans, they aren't necessarily quieter. And newer sleeve bearing designs,
such as Nidec's NBRX sleeve bearing, have made great strides in longevity.

Ian Jackson

May 1, 2010, 4:45:51 PM5/1/10
In message
<c1c6ebf7-891b-4fba...@j36g2000prj.googlegroups.com>,
Robert Macy <ma...@california.com> writes

My PSU fan seized solid, very solid (nice and quiet, though). The
replacement seemed rather noisy for my tastes. I eventually got the
original fan freed off. [It needed the application of a hot soldering
iron to the end of the spindle.] It ran for 18 months after being well
re-oiled with WD40. It was still going fine when, some time ago, I doing
a spot of once-in-a-while spring cleaning inside the case. So I re-oiled
it again with some '3-in-1' oil. It's still running fine.
--
Ian

Michael A. Terrell

May 1, 2010, 5:44:59 PM5/1/10

Ian Jackson wrote:

> My PSU fan seized solid, very solid (nice and quiet, though). The
> replacement seemed rather noisy for my tastes. I eventually got the
> original fan freed off. [It needed the application of a hot soldering
> iron to the end of the spindle.] It ran for 18 months after being well
> re-oiled with WD40. It was still going fine when, some time ago, I doing
> a spot of once-in-a-while spring cleaning inside the case. So I re-oiled
> it again with some '3-in-1' oil. It's still running fine.

WD40 isn't a lubricant. It was developed for 'Water Displacement',
or in plain english, to spray on ignition wires that got wet.

Which '3-in-1' oil. That is a brand, not a type.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Ian Jackson

May 1, 2010, 6:00:25 PM5/1/10
In message <JMadnWcTILZFPUHW...@earthlink.com>, Michael A.
Terrell <mike.t...@earthlink.net> writes

>Ian Jackson wrote:
>>
>> My PSU fan seized solid, very solid (nice and quiet, though). The
>> replacement seemed rather noisy for my tastes. I eventually got the
>> original fan freed off. [It needed the application of a hot soldering
>> iron to the end of the spindle.] It ran for 18 months after being well
>> re-oiled with WD40. It was still going fine when, some time ago, I doing
>> a spot of once-in-a-while spring cleaning inside the case. So I re-oiled
>> it again with some '3-in-1' oil. It's still running fine.
>

> WD40 isn't a lubricant. It was developed for 'Water Displacement',
>or in plain english, to spray on ignition wires that got wet.

Regardless of what it was developed for, WD40 does leave an oily layer.
It penetrates well, and prevents/halts rust. It also serves as a
sort-term lubricant. Despite what the purists might say, it does work
well as a switch cleaner/lubricant.

> Which '3-in-1' oil. That is a brand, not a type.

It's the type in a small metal tin with a plastic nozzle - the very same
tin I've had on a shelf at the back of the garage for about 40 years. I
haven't a clue what the official grade is, other than its the general
purpose domestic stuff, like you'd use for oiling door hinges and
bicycle chains. And latterly, of course, computer fans.
--
Ian

Michael A. Terrell

May 1, 2010, 7:24:59 PM5/1/10

Ian Jackson wrote:

> In message <JMadnWcTILZFPUHW...@earthlink.com>, Michael A.
> Terrell <mike.t...@earthlink.net> writes
> >
> >Ian Jackson wrote:
> >>
> >> My PSU fan seized solid, very solid (nice and quiet, though). The
> >> replacement seemed rather noisy for my tastes. I eventually got the
> >> original fan freed off. [It needed the application of a hot soldering
> >> iron to the end of the spindle.] It ran for 18 months after being well
> >> re-oiled with WD40. It was still going fine when, some time ago, I doing
> >> a spot of once-in-a-while spring cleaning inside the case. So I re-oiled
> >> it again with some '3-in-1' oil. It's still running fine.
> >

> > WD40 isn't a lubricant. It was developed for 'Water Displacement',
> >or in plain english, to spray on ignition wires that got wet.
> >
> Regardless of what it was developed for, WD40 does leave an oily layer.
> It penetrates well, and prevents/halts rust. It also serves as a
> sort-term lubricant. Despite what the purists might say, it does work
> well as a switch cleaner/lubricant.

Which dries into a nasty, insulating film over time. I use PTFE to
lube small motors. It Works a lot better than WD40 ever could, and lasts
a lot longer.

<http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102643>

> > Which '3-in-1' oil. That is a brand, not a type.
> >
> It's the type in a small metal tin with a plastic nozzle - the very same
> tin I've had on a shelf at the back of the garage for about 40 years. I
> haven't a clue what the official grade is, other than its the general
> purpose domestic stuff, like you'd use for oiling door hinges and
> bicycle chains. And latterly, of course, computer

'3-in-1' does make an electric motor oil.

UCLAN

May 1, 2010, 11:41:06 PM5/1/10
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

>>> Which '3-in-1' oil. That is a brand, not a type.
>>
>>It's the type in a small metal tin with a plastic nozzle - the very same
>>tin I've had on a shelf at the back of the garage for about 40 years. I
>>haven't a clue what the official grade is, other than its the general
>>purpose domestic stuff, like you'd use for oiling door hinges and
>>bicycle chains. And latterly, of course, computer
>
> '3-in-1' does make an electric motor oil.

My favorite "3-in-1" product:

http://www.3inone.com/products/white-lithium-grease/

Michael A. Terrell

May 1, 2010, 11:51:49 PM5/1/10

I use lithium grease, but another brand that I can pick up from a car
parts dealer just down the street. I also use PB Blaster and Breakfree.

mm

May 2, 2010, 12:09:35 AM5/2/10
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:08:39 -0700, UCLAN <nom...@thanks.org> wrote:

>David Farber wrote:
>
>> I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan. The
>> power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
>> continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
>> 3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few places online that have them
>> listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is
>> prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
>> and not cost more than the power supply itself?
>

>Any 2-wire, 80mm, 12VDC, 0.30A (approx) will do. Got a Radio Shack nearby?
>http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102826 will do.
>

>Probably cheaper at some place like Frys.

Radio shack has a great webpage in many ways, but one enormous flaw is
that if you click on a link, it might say the part is out of stock,
even when stores have it.

I signed up to get an eamil when their remote A-B switch was back in
stock, and after months I got it, and figured well maybe it's also at
a store now too. So I went in and they had two and the clerk said
they had never been out of them.

He was very confident, and I had gone in the same day I got the email.
It seems unlikely they had in stock items actually shipped for the
same reason they sent me the email. They probably did have them all
along.

So to with the item above. It says it's out of stock, but when I
click on Find it in STores, it gives 10 stores around here that it
seems to say has it. I'd call some stores and see.

P&M

--
Posters should say what U,S. state if any they live in. Why
do so many keep their state as secret as their own name?

IANAL. That is, I am not a lawyer.

Ian Jackson

May 2, 2010, 3:34:58 AM5/2/10
In message <_IednQW6vL_VJUHW...@earthlink.com>, Michael A.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not 'recommending' WD40 or 3-in-1 bicycle oil
for lubricating computer fans. It's just that I needed something, and
those were what I had immediately at hand. The sky did not fall, and
continues not to do so.
--
Ian

Michael A. Terrell

May 2, 2010, 11:49:23 AM5/2/10

I have had to clean up a lot of messes caused by people who used both
of those. I know gun collectors who have spent a lot of time removing
the hardened film of WD 40 off of the gun parts they are restoring.
They won't even allow a can of it around their homes or shops.

Ian Jackson

May 2, 2010, 12:41:49 PM5/2/10
In message <PdmdnafF4qSdAkDW...@earthlink.com>, Michael A.
Terrell <mike.t...@earthlink.net> writes

>Ian Jackson wrote:
>>
>> In message <_IednQW6vL_VJUHW...@earthlink.com>, Michael A.
>> Terrell <mike.t...@earthlink.net> writes

It's a funny old world. The things that some people swear BY are often
exactly the same things that others swear AT!
--
Ian

UCLAN

May 2, 2010, 1:51:18 PM5/2/10
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

>>> '3-in-1' does make an electric motor oil.
>>
>>My favorite "3-in-1" product:
>>
>>http://www.3inone.com/products/white-lithium-grease/
>
> I use lithium grease, but another brand that I can pick up from a car
> parts dealer just down the street. I also use PB Blaster and Breakfree.

I like the "3-in-1" spray on lithium grease because I can reach hard to
get to places with the spray tube, yet it dries with the consistency of
regular lithium grease.

UCLAN

May 2, 2010, 2:05:52 PM5/2/10
mm wrote:

>>Any 2-wire, 80mm, 12VDC, 0.30A (approx) will do. Got a Radio Shack nearby?
>>http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102826 will do.
>>
>>Probably cheaper at some place like Frys.
>
> Radio shack has a great webpage in many ways, but one enormous flaw is
> that if you click on a link, it might say the part is out of stock,
> even when stores have it.

As with all websites (Petco, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.) information
given for a product (availability, price, etc.) is for the website
ONLY! There is no way a website can pretend to keep up with the stock
details of thousands of retail stores. And only in a minority of cases
does a retail store match the price of a website. Only a fool would
think that a website saying "out-of-stock" would necessarily mean that
a retail store in BF, Iowa, was also out of stock.

I just bought a nice vinyl screen door (I'm 200' from the ocean) from
Home Depot that wasn't even available on their website. Apples and
oranges.

Michael A. Terrell

May 2, 2010, 4:30:48 PM5/2/10

The brand I have in the shop does the same thing. I can't get into
that part of my garage at the moment to tell you what it is, and I've
used several brands over the years. I used to use GC 'Lubriplate' in a
metal tube.

mm

May 3, 2010, 1:22:19 AM5/3/10
On Sun, 02 May 2010 11:05:52 -0700, UCLAN <nom...@thanks.org> wrote:

>mm wrote:
>
>>>Any 2-wire, 80mm, 12VDC, 0.30A (approx) will do. Got a Radio Shack nearby?
>>>http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102826 will do.
>>>
>>>Probably cheaper at some place like Frys.
>>
>> Radio shack has a great webpage in many ways, but one enormous flaw is
>> that if you click on a link, it might say the part is out of stock,
>> even when stores have it.
>
>As with all websites (Petco, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.) information
>given for a product (availability, price, etc.) is for the website
>ONLY! There is no way a website can pretend to keep up with the stock
>details of thousands of retail stores.

The first paragraph is a digression. OTOH, you've digressed by
bringing up other websites as if one could deduce what RS is like by
knowing a little about what they are like. It's true that
many websites act almost like the stores don't exist. For example,
the discussion of warrantee on one was not accurate wrt to purchases
made at a store. And Home Depot and Lowes have terrible pages in
general. Once I looked at kitchen faucets at a nearby Lowes, where
they had 8 models that I could have used. When I wanted to review
them later that day, the website showed none at that location, and it
was hard to find out about any other location. Lowes used to ask what
zipcode the user lived in and then pick a store near there and call it
his home store. If they didn't have what he wanted in that store, the
computer user had to come up with another zipcode and see if the store
there had it. They've improved slightly. Now it looks iirc at my
"home store" and then the two stores nearest my home store. But I
have a car. Just tell me the closest store that has it and if I'll go
there now if it's important enough, or maybe I'll be nearby soon. --
I apologize. I have digressed.

I gather you have posted without knowing much about the radio shack
website. One of the reasons I called it a great webpage is that it
does indeed "pretend to keep up with the stock ....of its retail
stores." And not only that, afaict, it actually does keep up with
them. I made a mistake when I needed the A-B switch of not checking
the stores, so I'll never know what it said then, but in other
situations, when I wanted something that day (unlike this switch which
I knew I wouldn't use for weeks) I have looked for individual store
information and what I found appeared to be correct when I got to the
store.

Of course I won't know what happens between the time I check the
computer and the time I get to the store (although I could call and
ask them to reserve it for me) and of course there is shoplifing etc.
so actual stock doesn't always match inventory records, but with
computers it's not hard at all to keep track of inventory for each
store. They probably did it anyhow and then just made it available to
customers.

> And only in a minority of cases
>does a retail store match the price of a website.

Their own website? It's you who recommended a radio shack part. Do
you think that RS doesn't charge the same price at the store as
online?** And what does this have to do with the OP, who likely
wouldn't quibble about a dollar or two when he hasn't been able to
find what he wants anywhere else so far? **Plus they have free
shipping to any participating store, which I'm sure is almost all of
them. Since they have stores in almost every US state, they charge
sales tax on internet orders too, I presume. If the store has it,
it's just as good as online and it's quicker.

>Only a fool would
>think that a website saying "out-of-stock" would necessarily mean that
>a retail store in BF, Iowa, was also out of stock.

So now you're going to call names. All this misinformation and
irrelevancy about RS just to call me a fool!

Anyhow, he'd think that if he figured the stores never stocked it at
all, and would only have it if he had it shipped to the store.
Because like you say, stores don't stock all the same things the
warehouse does.

>I just bought a nice vinyl screen door (I'm 200' from the ocean) from
>Home Depot that wasn't even available on their website. Apples and
>oranges.

You don't know much about Radio Shack.

William R. Walsh

May 3, 2010, 12:22:15 PM5/3/10
Hi!

> I've never had the any luck rejuvenating fans with lubrication after
> the fan's bearings have started to howl.

I've never let one go so far as to howl. Nor have I heard one do that!
The fans I've oiled were usually making a grumbling noise and it was
intermittent in most cases.

There's no harm in trying it.

Just about three days ago, I broke a blade off of an Intel CPU
cooler's fan. I puzzled about what to do, as the fan is an unusual
type and I don't have any other Pentium III compatible coolers sitting
around. What I finally did was to super glue the blade back on. The
repair appears to be robust after two days worth of running. What's
more, the balance appears not to have been affected at all by this
little "whoopsy".

William

UCLAN

May 3, 2010, 3:32:51 PM5/3/10
mm wrote:

>>>Radio shack has a great webpage in many ways, but one enormous flaw is
>>>that if you click on a link, it might say the part is out of stock,
>>>even when stores have it.
>>
>>As with all websites (Petco, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.) information
>>given for a product (availability, price, etc.) is for the website
>>ONLY! There is no way a website can pretend to keep up with the stock
>>details of thousands of retail stores.
>
> The first paragraph is a digression.

??? Whose first paragraph? Not mine. The word "all" includes even
Radio Shack.

> I gather you have posted without knowing much about the radio shack
> website. One of the reasons I called it a great webpage is that it
> does indeed "pretend to keep up with the stock ....of its retail
> stores."

Not at all true. I suggest you read the "ITEM AVAILABILITY" section
of its website:

"...Some items are either temporarily out-of-stock online (and may be
available at your local RadioShack retail store)..."

>>And only in a minority of cases
>>does a retail store match the price of a website.
>
> Their own website? It's you who recommended a radio shack part. Do
> you think that RS doesn't charge the same price at the store as
> online?

Gee, they even say they might not. From their online site:

"...Prices advertised on this site are for online orders only."

>>Only a fool would
>>think that a website saying "out-of-stock" would necessarily mean that
>>a retail store in BF, Iowa, was also out of stock.
>
> So now you're going to call names. All this misinformation and
> irrelevancy about RS just to call me a fool!

Well, I didn't call you a fool. I wrote that "only a fool would think..."
If that description fits you, fine. If the shoe fits, as they say. As far
as my "misinformation" goes, are you claiming that the information given
at the site is incorrect?

> You don't know much about Radio Shack.

Apparently, much more than do you. I also know how to read fine print at
a website, including Radio Shack's.

Jeroni Paul

May 3, 2010, 6:06:17 PM5/3/10
> Just about three days ago, I broke a blade off of an Intel CPU
> cooler's fan. I puzzled about what to do, as the fan is an unusual
> type and I don't have any other Pentium III compatible coolers sitting
> around. What I finally did was to super glue the blade back on. The
> repair appears to be robust after two days worth of running. What's
> more, the balance appears not to have been affected at all by this
> little "whoopsy".

Good fix. I was in a similar trouble but didn't have the blade so I
placed two small rubber belts held on the nearest blades to balance
the fan, worked quite well.

I've had limited success oiling fans, usually it won't last long as
the oil appears to evaporate or go somewhere else. I tried several
oils for motors and none of them last. Some evaporate and some harden
and end up locking the fan. I belive the manufacturer used some sort
of special grease, I have seen similar grease used in sleeve bearing
motors for video heads in Philips VCRs that after years of operation
preserves its properties intact.

Jeroni Paul

May 3, 2010, 6:11:03 PM5/3/10
> Ceramic bearings appear to be even better:http://www.ceramicafans.com/whyceramic.htm
>
> - Franc Zabkar
> --

Pity the chip it will be cooling is not going to be kept in service
for 34 years.
Maybe it has a chance to last that long in an IBM mainframe!

stra...@yahoo.com

May 3, 2010, 10:56:33 PM5/3/10
On Apr 28, 10:53 am, "David Farber" <farberbear.uns...@aol.com> wrote:
> I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square,  power supply fan. The
> power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
> continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
> 3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few places online that have them
> listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is
> prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
> and not cost more than the power supply itself?
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> --
> David Farber
> David Farber's Service Center
> L.A., CA

Why would you even waste time on a PC power supply fan? Are you going
to check the capacitors that are very likely going bad too? You can
buy an Antec EarthWatts 380 Watt supply from Fry's for $30. High
efficiency, power factor corrected, auto switch 120/240, variable
speed cooling fan. Isn't your time worth anything?

Mike Tomlinson

May 4, 2010, 2:15:30 PM5/4/10
In article <m54lt5demg9ddj1g4...@4ax.com>, Franc Zabkar
<fza...@iinternode.on.net> writes

>Ceramic bearings appear to be even better:
>http://www.ceramicafans.com/whyceramic.htm

Also known as Vapo bearings.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7

Mike Tomlinson

May 4, 2010, 2:14:28 PM5/4/10
In article <4bd8760c$0$27713$bd46...@news.dslextreme.com>, David Farber
<farberbe...@aol.com> writes

>I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan. The
>power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on
>continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,
>3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A.

Funnily enough, I've just replaced one of those today.

> I've found a few places online that have them
>listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is
>prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
>and not cost more than the power supply itself?

Yeah, you can use a generic replacement but if it's powered 24/7 it
won't last long. Find a good quality ball-bearing replacement from the
likes of NMB-Mat, Panasonic or Papst. You'll be glad you did.

Mike Tomlinson

May 18, 2010, 1:38:37 AM5/18/10
In article <8677c2fc-155e-4336...@e35g2000yqm.googlegroup
s.com>, Jeroni Paul <JERON...@terra.es> writes

>I've had limited success oiling fans, usually it won't last long as
>the oil appears to evaporate or go somewhere else. I tried several
>oils for motors and none of them last.

Try a silicone-based lubricant (with a consistency between that of oil
and grease). Expensive but it works.