What on earth is a "Class 1 LED Product" ??

Arfa Daily

Jun 28, 2010, 5:01:26 AM6/28/10
Today, I had occasion to look at a set top box for cable TV service. It's a
HDD recorder as well, employing what seems to be a standard computer disc
drive. When I came to screw the lid back on, I noticed on the back panel,
the words "Class 1 LED Product". What on earth do they mean by that ? I've
seen similar statements for laser-based products such as CD players or DVD
players / recorders, but in those cases, it is a warning. I'm not even sure
that this unit has any LEDs in it, so in this case, does the word "LED"
refer to something else ? What are Samsung (the makers of this box) trying
to tell (warn??) us of here ... ?

Arfa

Phil Allison

Jun 28, 2010, 6:34:01 AM6/28/10

"Arfa Daily"

> Today, I had occasion to look at a set top box for cable TV service. It's
> a HDD recorder as well, employing what seems to be a standard computer
> disc drive. When I came to screw the lid back on, I noticed on the back
> panel, the words "Class 1 LED Product". What on earth do they mean by that
> ?

** Means inherently safe in normal use.

> I've seen similar statements for laser-based products such as CD players
> or DVD players / recorders, but in those cases, it is a warning.

** No, class 1 LASER products are inherently safe in normal use too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Class_1

BTW:

The Sony CDP101 was described in the manual as having a class IIIb laser.

> I'm not even sure that this unit has any LEDs in it,

** What about the remote ??

.... Phil

PeterD

Jun 28, 2010, 8:01:20 AM6/28/10
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:34:01 +1000, "Phil Allison" <phi...@tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>"Arfa Daily"
>>
>> Today, I had occasion to look at a set top box for cable TV service. It's
>> a HDD recorder as well, employing what seems to be a standard computer
>> disc drive. When I came to screw the lid back on, I noticed on the back
>> panel, the words "Class 1 LED Product". What on earth do they mean by that
>> ?
>
>** Means inherently safe in normal use.
>
>> I've seen similar statements for laser-based products such as CD players
>> or DVD players / recorders, but in those cases, it is a warning.
>
>** No, class 1 LASER products are inherently safe in normal use too.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Class_1
>
>BTW:
>
>The Sony CDP101 was described in the manual as having a class IIIb laser.

Could it be compatible with fiber cable, bi-directional (and therefore
have a LED (laser)?

Mark Zacharias

Jun 28, 2010, 8:06:35 AM6/28/10
"Arfa Daily" <arfa....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

I think it's just a rewording of the old "Class 1 Laser" warning, with the
laser diode being the LED here. Probably a more accurate description,
really...

Mark Z.

Phil Allison

Jun 28, 2010, 8:26:32 AM6/28/10

"Arfa Daily"

> Today, I had occasion to look at a set top box for cable TV service.

> I'm not even sure that this unit has any LEDs in it,

** Hard to believe there is not even one indicator LED.

.... Phil

Arfa Daily

Jun 28, 2010, 8:43:59 AM6/28/10

"Phil Allison" <phi...@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

Well, yes, I suppose there is an *indicator* LED, but just the one, and it's
hidden behind a coloured insert in the front panel, that surrounds a button
assembly. I suppose if you are being really precise, there is a LED in the
Toslink socket on the back as well, but then just about every piece of
consumer electronics in existence now, has an indicator LED, and a Toslink
socket or two on the back, and I've never seen any other item carry a
similar statement about LEDs and classes. And to Mark, it's not a more
accurate statement regarding a semiconductor laser in this case, because
there's not one in it. No optical drive of any description. It's just a
cable set top box with an HDD in it for recording.

Arfa

William R. Walsh

Jun 28, 2010, 10:21:56 AM6/28/10
Hi!

> there is a LED in the Toslink socket on the back as well

That is what I think they're talking about. I've seen that warning in
some CD player owner's manuals, and every one of them had an optical
digital output.

This LED seems rather bright. I've noticed that it casts a bright
circle on the wall behind the player--yes, one of mine is missing the
dust cap. Maybe it's on the verge of being harmful if you were to look
into it or something?

William

Meat Plow

Jun 28, 2010, 11:36:08 AM6/28/10
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:01:26 +0100, Arfa Daily ǝʇoɹʍ:

LED Laser? Lost in the translation? I've seen some pretty weird
translations in my time as you most certainly have.

Anon

Jun 28, 2010, 2:58:39 PM6/28/10

"Arfa Daily" <arfa....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

The Classes assigned to laser products for eye safety are now being applied
to LEDs. I got a replacement 12V Outdoor Lighting Transformer that stated
it can not be used on Class II LED Products. That prompted me to look into
this issue recently. :)

Scott in Dunedin FL

Meat Plow

Jun 28, 2010, 2:12:24 PM6/28/10
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:58:39 -0500, Anon ǝʇoɹʍ:

That's pure madness!

Dave Platt

Jun 28, 2010, 2:28:29 PM6/28/10
In article <kO0Wn.56450$EK1....@newsfe15.ams2>,
Arfa Daily <arfa....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Well, yes, I suppose there is an *indicator* LED, but just the one, and it's
>hidden behind a coloured insert in the front panel, that surrounds a button
>assembly. I suppose if you are being really precise, there is a LED in the
>Toslink socket on the back as well, but then just about every piece of
>consumer electronics in existence now, has an indicator LED, and a Toslink
>socket or two on the back, and I've never seen any other item carry a
>similar statement about LEDs and classes. And to Mark, it's not a more
>accurate statement regarding a semiconductor laser in this case, because
>there's not one in it. No optical drive of any description. It's just a
>cable set top box with an HDD in it for recording.

Does it by any chance have a TOSLINK output, for providing digital-audio
signals to an A/V receiver/amplifier? A lot of STBs do, these days,
and this might require the Class 1 label.

--
Dave Platt <dpl...@radagast.org> AE6EO

AZ Nomad

Jun 28, 2010, 3:45:38 PM6/28/10

Anybody know how to locate and power up a computer, open a web browser,
get to google.com and arrive at a clever search string like "Class 1 LED
Product"?

Adrian C

Jun 28, 2010, 4:48:35 PM6/28/10
On 28/06/2010 20:45, AZ Nomad wrote:

> Anybody know how to locate and power up a computer, open a web browser,
> get to google.com and arrive at a clever search string like "Class 1 LED
> Product"?

No. Is that possible?

Do I need to wear any special protection while doing that?

--
Adrian C

AZ Nomad

Jun 28, 2010, 4:56:00 PM6/28/10

>No. Is that possible?

Doesn't microsoft have a warning "this browser is shit, using it may
destroy your computer and all the data that you hold dear, continue?"

Adrian C

Jun 28, 2010, 5:33:10 PM6/28/10

'Yeah, but I find pressing the escape key cancels boring things that
might be confusing to me to read and it doesn't seem to do any harm ....'

(one of my users in care...)

--
Adrian C

David Nebenzahl

Jun 28, 2010, 8:50:37 PM6/28/10
On 6/28/2010 2:33 PM Adrian C spake thus:

Well, that's kinda true: pressing <ESC> at any prompt is kinda like
voting "no" on all ballot propositions (we get a lot of 'em here in
Kal-ee-fonia).