"Dead" Bose Wave Radio model AWR1-1W

Brad

Dec 5, 2007, 7:26:45 AM12/5/07

I have a Bose Wave Radio model AWR1-1W in my shop. Customer
installed a new 9V battery (time/memory), but this isn't related to the
problem of no display and no operation ("dead"). I have no SM.

The fuse is ok and I measured voltages. "U1" has 20V input and
10V output. I measured -15V on "1" connector of flat flex conductors.
I found some info on the web, but "R6" (1 ohm) checks good. I could not find
a B-E short on any of the top side PCB SMD transistors. Someone mentioned a
SMD transistor B-E short, but that person did not indicate the location or
transistor ID!

The audio amp is ok because I got a hum sound at the speaker when
I put my meter probe on U400 pin 6.

I have not found a 5V source, but I measured 5.7V at "D601". Note:
I did not measure everything (time consuming). I don't have a schematic.

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Arfa Daily

Dec 5, 2007, 9:48:44 AM12/5/07

"Brad" <bpe...@verizon.net> wrote in message

It sounds as though you have a Wave Radio series III (there are several Wave
Radio versions).

U1 output is correct at +10v.There should be -21v on the -ve side of C11,
derived via D1, which is fed from a 21v ac supply, via R6, 1 ohm safety.
There should be -8v at the emitter of Q1 (TP13) and -5v at the emitter of Q4
(TP22). There should be a line frequency signal output from the PSU section,
at Q3 collector (TP19). This is also derived, initially, from the 21v ac
supply.

If you need more help with schematics etc, contact me off group.

Arfa

Trevor Wilson

Dec 5, 2007, 3:06:14 PM12/5/07

"Brad" <bpe...@verizon.net> wrote in message

**I've said many unkind things about Bose. However, their support, WRT
service manuals, is excellent. Contact them.

Trevor Wilson

jerr...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2014, 1:05:48 PM9/30/14
Hello
i have a bose AWR1-1W
and mOdel is bAWR10HU432655
its completely dead and i found one resistor open and i replaced it now voltages are there on board but still i can see nothing on display, i pressed on/off switch but still its nothing
only thing i am getting is a echo noise when i unplug it
if ou have something please let me know about this issue
thanks
Jerry

Phil Allison

Sep 30, 2014, 10:26:30 PM9/30/14
Trevor Wilson wrote:

> **I've said many unkind things about Bose. However, their support, WRT
> service manuals, is excellent. Contact them.

*** Really ??

Bose Australia used to be were quite hostile to any outsiders doing repairs.
They refused to supply schems for any product claiming (absurdly)that copyright law prevented them doing so.

On the schem for the Bose 1800 amplifier it says:

" This manual contains information proprietary with BOSE and should not be distributed to unauthorised persons without the written consent of BOSE Corporation".

Spare parts were a real hassle too cos all the semis had secret Bose part numbers stamped on them. However, they did sell 4 inch drivers to almost anyone.

Bose also kept up a pretence that their products were all covered by patents, copyright and trademarks - plus every goofy name their marketing dudes dreamt up was followed by "TM". Wot a load of puke.

BTW; Did Bose Corporation *ever* actually manufacture anything ??

I know their 4 inch drivers and speaker enclosures - along with power amplifiers, mixers and powered mixers plus the many infamous Bose EQs were all made by subcontractors. The only one I was able to track down was BGW making the Bose 1800 mkIV.

... Phil

.... Phil

Trevor Wilson

Sep 30, 2014, 10:55:30 PM9/30/14
On 1/10/2014 12:26 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>

>> **I've said many unkind things about Bose. However, their support,
>> WRT service manuals, is excellent. Contact them.
>>

> *** Really ??
>
> Bose Australia used to be were quite hostile to any outsiders doing
> repairs. They refused to supply schems for any product claiming
> (absurdly)that copyright law prevented them doing so.

**I admit that it has been a few years (maybe 3) since I required a Bose
service manual, but, when I did, I asked for one and the charming lady
at the other end of the 'phone line asked if I wanted hard copy or
electronic. I asked what the price difference was. She said there was
none. Naturally, I requested hard copy, which was sent out within a
couple of days at no charge. I've never been a Bose service agent. That
was for one of their Acoustimess™ systems. Dunno what they are like now,
or in the old days though. The Acoustimess™ service manual even shows
the frequency response from the units. It is horrible.

> On the schem for the Bose 1800 amplifier it says:
>
> " This manual contains information proprietary with BOSE and should
> not be distributed to unauthorised persons without the written
> consent of BOSE Corporation".
>
> Spare parts were a real hassle too cos all the semis had secret Bose
> part numbers stamped on them. However, they did sell 4 inch drivers
> to almost anyone.

**OH yeah, at silly prices too. Their spare parts are expensive.

> Bose also kept up a pretence that their products were all covered by
> patents, copyright and trademarks - plus every goofy name their
> marketing dudes dreamt up was followed by "TM". Wot a load of puke.

**Yep. Just read their patents sometime. They reference other companies
all over the place. US patent laws are incredibly weak, thus Bose are
able to patent stuff that has either been developed by other companies
(like the KEF compound enclosures) or are in the public domain (like the
Bailey transmission line).

> BTW; Did Bose Corporation *ever* actually manufacture anything ??

**I'm not certain, but I believe their own factories in Mexico built
their Acoustimess™ products. Dunno about the current stuff. Probably
Chinese.

> I know their 4 inch drivers and speaker enclosures - along with power
> amplifiers, mixers and powered mixers plus the many infamous Bose EQs
> were all made by subcontractors. The only one I was able to track
> down was BGW making the Bose 1800 mkIV.

**That was a long time ago, when Bose was a much smaller company. They
got big.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Mark Zacharias

Oct 1, 2014, 7:24:50 AM10/1/14
"Trevor Wilson" <tre...@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
> On 1/10/2014 12:26 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>

>>> **I've said many unkind things about Bose. However, their support,
>>> WRT service manuals, is excellent. Contact them.
>>>

>> *** Really ??
>>
>> Bose Australia used to be were quite hostile to any outsiders doing
>> repairs. They refused to supply schems for any product claiming
>> (absurdly)that copyright law prevented them doing so.
>

> **I admit that it has been a few years (maybe 3) since I required a Bose
> service manual, but, when I did, I asked for one and the charming lady at
> the other end of the 'phone line asked if I wanted hard copy or
> electronic. I asked what the price difference was. She said there was
> none. Naturally, I requested hard copy, which was sent out within a couple
> of days at no charge. I've never been a Bose service agent. That was for
> one of their Acoustimess� systems. Dunno what they are like now, or in the
> old days though. The Acoustimess� service manual even shows the frequency
> response from the units. It is horrible.
>

>> On the schem for the Bose 1800 amplifier it says:
>>
>> " This manual contains information proprietary with BOSE and should
>> not be distributed to unauthorised persons without the written
>> consent of BOSE Corporation".
>>
>> Spare parts were a real hassle too cos all the semis had secret Bose
>> part numbers stamped on them. However, they did sell 4 inch drivers
>> to almost anyone.
>
> **OH yeah, at silly prices too. Their spare parts are expensive.
>

>> Bose also kept up a pretence that their products were all covered by
>> patents, copyright and trademarks - plus every goofy name their
>> marketing dudes dreamt up was followed by "TM". Wot a load of puke.
>
> **Yep. Just read their patents sometime. They reference other companies
> all over the place. US patent laws are incredibly weak, thus Bose are able
> to patent stuff that has either been developed by other companies (like
> the KEF compound enclosures) or are in the public domain (like the Bailey
> transmission line).
>

>> BTW; Did Bose Corporation *ever* actually manufacture anything ??
>
> **I'm not certain, but I believe their own factories in Mexico built their
> Acoustimess� products. Dunno about the current stuff. Probably Chinese.
>

>> I know their 4 inch drivers and speaker enclosures - along with power
>> amplifiers, mixers and powered mixers plus the many infamous Bose EQs
>> were all made by subcontractors. The only one I was able to track
>> down was BGW making the Bose 1800 mkIV.
>
> **That was a long time ago, when Bose was a much smaller company. They got
> big.
>

> --
> Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

So far as I know, Bose no longer sells parts or service literature. They
will service units at their facility for a certain period of time after
final market date (5 years I believe). After that you are on your own.
Of course they are happy to sell you a new system on an easy multi-payment
credit card plan.

Mark Z.

Arfa Daily

Oct 1, 2014, 9:52:08 PM10/1/14

"Phil Allison" <palli...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>

>> **I've said many unkind things about Bose. However, their support, WRT
>> service manuals, is excellent. Contact them.
>>

> *** Really ??
>
> Bose Australia used to be were quite hostile to any outsiders doing
> repairs.
> They refused to supply schems for any product claiming (absurdly)that
> copyright law prevented them doing so.
>
> On the schem for the Bose 1800 amplifier it says:
>
> " This manual contains information proprietary with BOSE and should not be
> distributed to unauthorised persons without the written consent of BOSE
> Corporation".

I have most of the manuals for the Wave Radio series, and often get email
requests from all over the world for them, presumably because I have
answered quite a lot of questions on them over the years, and people find my
email address from archived usenet web portals. A friend commented that I
should be careful of doing this because it infringed Bose's copyright, and
they might get nasty about it. I don't actually believe that they could as
the relevant passage in all of the Wave manuals reads as follows :

" PROPRIETARY INFORMATION

THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS PROPRIETARY INFORMATION
OF BOSE CORPORATION WHICH IS BEING FURNISHED
ONLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF SERVICING THE IDENTIFIED
BOSE PRODUCT BY AN AUTHORIZED BOSE SERVICE CEN-
TER OR OWNER OF THE BOSE PRODUCT, AND SHALL NOT
BE REPRODUCED OR USED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE "

As the person asking for the information is usually an "owner", as far as I
am concerned, this gives me carte blanche to furnish them with a copy.

I used to do a lot of work for a local Bose dealer / service agent, which is
how I came to have the manuals. This was before the recession bit here in
the UK a few years ago. At that time, they took all service work back
in-house, presumably as a 'protected' revenue stream. At that time, they
stopped supplying all spare parts, except 'consumables' like remote
controls, and withdrew all technical assistance, both telephone and service
manuals. All items coming into the shop for repair had to be returned to
them for fixed price service.

Even prior to that, their actual support was poor. You could order spares
using part numbers straight from the manual, but they seemed to have a
completely different system of numbering them, and they never knew what you
were talking about when you used their official part numbers.

The one good thing was that their service manuals were excellent, with good
clear full technical descriptions of how the circuitry worked, and clearly
drawn schematics and print layout diagrams.

Arfa

> ... Phil
>

> .... Phil

Trevor Wilson

Oct 1, 2014, 10:57:54 PM10/1/14
On 2/10/2014 11:52 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:

> The one good thing was that their service manuals were excellent, with
> good clear full technical descriptions of how the circuitry worked, and
> clearly drawn schematics and print layout diagrams.

**Agreed with that. The manuals are a model of clarity and usefulness.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Phil Allison

Oct 2, 2014, 12:48:18 AM10/2/14
Arfa Daily wrote:
> "Phil Allison"
> >

> > Bose Australia used to be were quite hostile to any outsiders doing
>
> > repairs.
>
> > They refused to supply schems for any product claiming (absurdly)that
>
> > copyright law prevented them doing so.
>

> > On the schem for the Bose 1800 amplifier it says:
>

> > " This manual contains information proprietary with BOSE and should not be
>
> > distributed to unauthorised persons without the written consent of BOSE
>
> > Corporation".
>

> I have most of the manuals for the Wave Radio series, and often get email
>
> requests from all over the world for them, presumably because I have
>
> answered quite a lot of questions on them over the years, and people find my
>
> email address from archived usenet web portals. A friend commented that I
>
> should be careful of doing this because it infringed Bose's copyright, and
>
> they might get nasty about it. I don't actually believe that they could as
>
> the relevant passage in all of the Wave manuals reads as follows :
>

> " PROPRIETARY INFORMATION
>

> THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS PROPRIETARY INFORMATION
>
> OF BOSE CORPORATION WHICH IS BEING FURNISHED
>
> ONLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF SERVICING THE IDENTIFIED
>
> BOSE PRODUCT BY AN AUTHORIZED BOSE SERVICE CEN-
>
> TER OR OWNER OF THE BOSE PRODUCT, AND SHALL NOT
>
> BE REPRODUCED OR USED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE "
>

> As the person asking for the information is usually an "owner", as far as I
>
> am concerned, this gives me carte blanche to furnish them with a copy.

** But not an independent tech like myself.

> I used to do a lot of work for a local Bose dealer / service agent, which is
>
> how I came to have the manuals. This was before the recession bit here in
>
> the UK a few years ago. At that time, they took all service work back
>
> in-house, presumably as a 'protected' revenue stream. At that time, they
>
> stopped supplying all spare parts, except 'consumables' like remote
>
> controls, and withdrew all technical assistance, both telephone and service
>
> manuals. All items coming into the shop for repair had to be returned to
>
> them for fixed price service.

** As one of Bose's anointed ones, you would be wise not to bite the hand that feeds ...

The "copyright infringement" issue is a complete nonsense and used only as a bluff - just like ALL of Bose Corporations worthless patents.

If someone set up a web site that required payment for a photo copy or download of a Bose manual, that would be a potential breach of copyright.

But if you supplied copies free (or at cost) to colleagues and owners who only needed them to assist service work, that comes under the "fair usage" exemptions that are part of copyright law.

FYI: if you made a new version of a Bose schem or traced out a PCB - then YOU are the copyright owner of that material and could sell it for profit.

As I have said to folk who come out with such idiocy on the phone, refusing to supply me with a schem (or spare parts) will not stop me repairing the POS I have in front to me - it will just take a bit longer while I trace out the circuitry and determine suitable substitutes.

Other culprits here included the importers for Phonic, Carver Pro and even Marshall when Yamaha Australia were the agents.

The worst by far at the moment are the importers for Fender - they have no tech or spare parts person, will supply nothing by phone order and insist you GO to a RETAIL store that stocks Fender and order any spares over the counter. Obviously the dude there has no clue what you are on about, cannot say if stock exists, what it costs or or when it will be available.

... Phil

... Phil

William Sommerwerck

Oct 2, 2014, 9:27:08 AM10/2/14
"Phil Allison" wrote in message

> If someone set up a web site that required payment for a photo
> copy or download of a Bose manual, that would be a potential
> breach of copyright.

Yes.

> But if you supplied copies free (or at cost) to colleagues and
> owners who only needed them to assist service work, that comes
> under the "fair usage" exemptions that are part of copyright law.

I'm not sure that's true in the US. Even giving away copyrighted material is
illegal, I believe.

brian.st...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2015, 6:02:24 PM7/29/15
Arfa: Could I impose on you to provide a copy of the AWR1-1W Series 2? I know the 5v is missing (Cannot find it anywhere) but I also do not find a 5v regulator either. Same no display and a burst of sound when the unit is unplugged.

pf...@aol.com

Aug 13, 2015, 12:22:10 PM8/13/15
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 at 9:27:08 AM UTC-4, William Sommerwerck wrote:

> I'm not sure that's true in the US. Even giving away copyrighted material is
> illegal, I believe.

No, and yes, depending on the specific downline use (in the US).

If used to generate revenue or to avoid fair payment for information. Example: I copy the NFL Superbowl on a DVD for later use in my home for my friends and family. LEGAL. And I may use that DVD as often as I choose for that purpose. I give a copy of the DVD to my brother in law, and he takes it home for his use only. Legal. It is a very grey area if he were to pass on a copy as it may pass beyond the 'time-shifting/fair use' rules.

I copy the NFL Superbowl onto a DVD and give it to a friend of mine who is the owner of local sports-bar. He then plays it for his customers. ILLEGAL. It may be implied that the use of that DVD is to generate revenue by attracting strangers to a commercial venue. The sports-bar owner should purchase his own copy from NFL Films for that use.

In the US, sharing copyrighted material *in whole* (what good is an incomplete manual) for business purposes is flatly illegal. For an example of how that works, look at some proprietary software - it is sold "by the seat". A user may transfer the software onto multiple computers, but only those for his personal use. He is one "seat".

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

jollym...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2018, 12:52:35 PM8/26/18
Like to ad a problem of my own. I'm a retired electronic tech (30+years) but have forgotten everything I knew about radios, AM/FM/SSB.
A friend has me looking at her Bose Wave, model AWr1-1W. All it puts out is an annoying loud buzz.Volume control do nothing. Even the power switch is useless. I did open it up, looked for loose connections, broken or burnt components, etc. Blew all the dust and dead bugs out.
Is it even worth repairing? Any idea as to the problem?
Thanks in advance.

jurb...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2018, 2:51:42 PM8/26/18
Not sure if it will help but electrotanya has one of them.

https://elektrotanya.com/bose_wave_radio_series_iii.pdf/download.html

Now listen, when you go to that site do not click any pictures, they all lead to junk. What you want is right under the picture on the left. It says "processing" and it makes you wait a minute or something like that. The word changes to "download". Click that and nothing else.

It used to change to "Get manual" but apparently they decided to change it.