Motor Corrosion

Bill E.

Jan 15, 2015, 12:30:47 PM1/15/15
Small AC motor has corrosion on the shaft (on both sides of rotor) that
is inside the bearings.
What is the best way to remove the corrosion (chemical or mechaical)
and try to keep the shaft as smooth as possible. i will use a teflon
lube when reassembling.

whit3rd

Jan 15, 2015, 3:49:11 PM1/15/15
On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 9:30:47 AM UTC-8, Bill E. wrote:
> Small AC motor has corrosion on the shaft (on both sides of rotor) that
> is inside the bearings.
> What is the best way to remove the corrosion

First, protect the bearings (you might want to replace and/or clean/relube them, but
that's another issue). Then, remove any loose material from the corroded area
(wire brush, if you can get access without endangering the wiring).
Any brown rust can be stabilized (turned to black oxide) with rust converter
chemical coatings, but I'd usually just rub on some wax and warm the area with
a torch.

Mainly, if there's any condensing moisture around, you want the surface to
be non-hydrophilic so moisture doesn't invade a rust pit and enlarge it...

John Robertson

Jan 16, 2015, 1:15:29 AM1/16/15
Depending on the value of the motor and your shop equipment, you could
turn the shafts of the motor down a bit and put sleeve bushings in to
build it back up to the new bearings...you aren't planning on reusing
the old bearings, eh? With corrosion on the shaft the balls must be
nasty even if it looks sealed...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

walter_...@post.com

Jan 16, 2015, 11:48:13 AM1/16/15
WD-40 or Liquid Wrench in the bearings or bushings?

John Robertson

Jan 16, 2015, 1:35:55 PM1/16/15
If you use either of these you much flush ALL the residue out!

WD-40 is for protecting tools from rusting, and the solvents in it
evaporate leaving the rest to turn to a protective goo coating. Liquid
Wrench is also a fast evaporating solvent with stuff in it to break oxides.

Not what you want left in a bearing I suspect!

John :-#(#

Phil Allison

Jan 16, 2015, 6:15:58 PM1/16/15
John Robertson wrote:

> > WD-40 or Liquid Wrench in the bearings or bushings?
> >

> If you use either of these you much flush ALL the residue out!
>
> WD-40 is for protecting tools from rusting,

** See:

http://www.wd40.com.au/wd-40/2000-uses

> and the solvents in it
> evaporate leaving the rest to turn to a protective goo coating.

** The residue of WD40 is simple mineral oil.

.... Phil

John Robertson

Jan 16, 2015, 8:27:21 PM1/16/15
Fair enough, Phil, you've drunk the WD-40 kool-aid.

My experience with the residue of folks using WD-40 in arcade games is a
gooey residue which always gums up the works and is very difficult to
take apart to repair.

A good oil, grease, or synthetic lube is always preferred to a 'wonder'
drug like WD in my books. I guess I'm the anti-WDhrist.

(ducking)

John ;-#)#

Michael A. Terrell

Jan 16, 2015, 9:13:08 PM1/16/15

John Robertson wrote:

> >> If you use either of these you much flush ALL the residue out!
> >>
> >> WD-40 is for protecting tools from rusting,
> >
> > ** See:
> >
> > http://www.wd40.com.au/wd-40/2000-uses
> >

> >> and the solvents in it
> >> evaporate leaving the rest to turn to a protective goo coating.
> >

> > ** The residue of WD40 is simple mineral oil.
> >

> > .... Phil
> >

> Fair enough, Phil, you've drunk the WD-40 kool-aid.
>
> My experience with the residue of folks using WD-40 in arcade games is a
> gooey residue which always gums up the works and is very difficult to
> take apart to repair.
>
> A good oil, grease, or synthetic lube is always preferred to a 'wonder'
> drug like WD in my books. I guess I'm the anti-WDhrist.

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Phil Allison

Jan 17, 2015, 12:21:06 AM1/17/15
John Robertson wrote:

> >> If you use either of these you much flush ALL the residue out!
> >>
> >> WD-40 is for protecting tools from rusting,
> >
> > ** See:
> >
> > http://www.wd40.com.au/wd-40/2000-uses
> >

> >> and the solvents in it
> >> evaporate leaving the rest to turn to a protective goo coating.
> >

> > ** The residue of WD40 is simple mineral oil.
>

> Fair enough, Phil, you've drunk the WD-40 kool-aid.
>
> My experience with the residue of folks using WD-40 in arcade games is a
> gooey residue which always gums up the works and is very difficult to
> take apart to repair.

** Sounds like "arcade games" contain delicate mechanisms that must have low or no contact friction in order to work properly - like most mechanical watches and clocks.

Such mechanisms need special low viscosity, low evaporation lubricants and cannot use mineral oil.

It says on the can " Frees Sticky Mechanisms" and it does so by dissolving any greases and oils that have hardened over time and with heat.

The shafts of small AC motors in turntables and tape recorders and fans sometimes jam tight because of this and a little WD40 gets them running again in seconds.

... Phil

mog...@hotmail.com

Jan 17, 2015, 11:29:14 AM1/17/15
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 8:27:21 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
> On 01/16/2015 3:15 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> > John Robertson wrote:
> >> On 01/16/2015 8:48 AM, walter_...@post.com wrote in
> >> sci.electronics.repair:

> >> If you use either of these you much flush ALL the residue out!
> >>
> >> WD-40 is for protecting tools from rusting,
> >
> > ** See:
> >
> > http://www.wd40.com.au/wd-40/2000-uses
> >
> >> and the solvents in it
> >> evaporate leaving the rest to turn to a protective goo coating.
> >
> > ** The residue of WD40 is simple mineral oil.
> >
> > .... Phil
>
> Fair enough, Phil, you've drunk the WD-40 kool-aid.
>
> My experience with the residue of folks using WD-40 in arcade games is a
> gooey residue which always gums up the works and is very difficult to
> take apart to repair.
>
> A good oil, grease, or synthetic lube is always preferred to a 'wonder'
> drug like WD in my books. I guess I'm the anti-WDhrist.

I can't see any other lub not gumming up the work too, though.

et...@whidbey.com

Jan 17, 2015, 1:28:56 PM1/17/15
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 17:27:07 -0800, John Robertson <sp...@flippers.com>
wrote:

>>> If you use either of these you much flush ALL the residue out!
>>>
>>> WD-40 is for protecting tools from rusting,
>>
>> ** See:
>>
>> http://www.wd40.com.au/wd-40/2000-uses
>>

>>> and the solvents in it
>>> evaporate leaving the rest to turn to a protective goo coating.
>>

>> ** The residue of WD40 is simple mineral oil.
>>

>> .... Phil
>>

>Fair enough, Phil, you've drunk the WD-40 kool-aid.
>
>My experience with the residue of folks using WD-40 in arcade games is a
>gooey residue which always gums up the works and is very difficult to
>take apart to repair.
>
>A good oil, grease, or synthetic lube is always preferred to a 'wonder'
>drug like WD in my books. I guess I'm the anti-WDhrist.
>
>(ducking)
>
>John ;-#)#
WD40 is good for some stuff but it does indeed leave a waxy coating
behind when it dries. For this reason it only gets used in my shop for
certain things. It does smell good though, which makes it nice to use
for rust removal when using it with steel wool or scotchbrite.
Eric

Ron D.

Jan 17, 2015, 3:09:21 PM1/17/15
One guy uses reverse electrolysis. Somewhere here: http://zombieengines.blogspot.com/

walter_...@post.com

Jan 17, 2015, 4:29:49 PM1/17/15
At 3:09 PM, Ron D. wrote in sci.electronics.repair:
But, the debris still being there is the issue.

Phil Allison

Jan 17, 2015, 11:06:18 PM1/17/15

et...@whidbey.com wrote:

> WD40 is good for some stuff but it does indeed leave a waxy coating
> behind when it dries.

** Bollocks.

http://www.wd40.com.au/wd-40_faqs

> For this reason it only gets used in my shop for
> certain things.

** Then your are missing out very badly.

... Phil

Ian Jackson

Jan 23, 2015, 6:32:23 PM1/23/15
In message <c651bc31-4fa7-4361...@googlegroups.com>, Phil
Allison <palli...@gmail.com> writes
I had a PC power supply plain bearing fan which seized-up absolutely
solid. After applying some WD40 (and, I believe, it needed the tip of a
hot soldering iron applied to the end of the spindle) I eventually got
it freed off. I treated it to a little more WD40, cleaned off the
surplus, replaced the rubber bung etc - and it was still running happily
18 months later, when I decided to do another service. This time I gave
it a couple of drops of 3-in-1.

--
Ian

mog...@hotmail.com

Jan 24, 2015, 10:51:43 AM1/24/15
I've never heard of 3-in-1. Is it auto mechanics stuff or like liquid wrench? I might go and try a bottle. I keep losing the small pocket sized WD-40 mini-spray can. I'm not really focused on that right now, though.

Right now, I'm bogged down trying to clean a toilet drain. The new weight loss stuff is clogging plumbing drains a lot quicker. I'm going to try to find a little piece, maybe just 10 feet or so - of snake line fish tape and swirl it with some laundry detergent. You know, the new 3x stuff. That should really clean the line out. Or is it time for muriatic acid. I don't know. We'll see.

mog...@hotmail.com

Jan 24, 2015, 10:57:38 AM1/24/15
On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 10:52:48 AM UTC-5, mog...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 6:32:23 PM UTC-5, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I've never heard of 3-in-1. Is it auto mechanics stuff or like liquid wrench? I might go and try a bottle. I keep losing the small pocket sized WD-40 mini-spray can. I'm not really focused on that right now, though.
>
> Right now, I'm bogged down trying to clean a toilet drain. The
> new weight loss stuff is clogging plumbing drains a lot quicker.
> I'm going to try to find a little piece, maybe just 10 feet or
> so - of snake line fish tape and swirl it with some laundry
> detergent. You know, the new 3x stuff. That should really
> clean the line out. Or is it time for muriatic acid. I don't
> know. We'll see.

The truth is, sometimes I can't get out from these video games. Ha ha.

Ian Jackson

Jan 24, 2015, 11:18:04 AM1/24/15
In message <0153caba-4298-4f0c...@googlegroups.com>,
mog...@hotmail.com writes

>I've never heard of 3-in-1. Is it auto mechanics stuff or like liquid
>wrench? I might go and try a bottle. I keep losing the small pocket
>sized WD-40 mini-spray can.

http://www.3inone.com/original/
Normally, one can will serve a household for a lifetime. However, it
suffers from the same problem as your can of WD40, ie you can never find
it when you need it - so you need to buy another. As a result, you end
up with several cans of various vintages, distributed all over the house
and garage.

--
Ian

Michael A. Terrell

Jan 24, 2015, 11:45:44 AM1/24/15

mog...@hotmail.com wrote:

> I've never heard of 3-in-1. Is it auto mechanics stuff or like liquid wrench? I might go and try a bottle. I keep losing the small pocket sized WD-40 mini-spray can. I'm not really focused on that right now, though.

It's sold for use in sewing machines. My mother used it for decades,
about a can a year on her commercial sewing machine.